Top-grade Virginias with just enough Perique to notice.

BrandHearth & Home
Strength
Extremely Mild
Taste
Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable

The flue cured Virginias offer a fair amount of citrus and grass/hay, along with light earth, toast, smokey wood and fruit notes. The spice, raisins, and fig taste from the perique plays an important support role. What seems to be an extremely light whisper of sweet rum adds to the experience. Won’t bite, but fast puffing may warm the tongue slightly, though I did not experience that. The nic-hit is just past the mild threshold. Burns at a moderate pace for an easily broken apart, lightly moist flake manufacture, and sports an very consistent flavor from start to finish. Requires few relights, and leaves little moisture in the bowl. Has a pleasant after taste and a woody sweet room note. An all day smoke.

-JimInks

Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Hearth & Home - Anniversary Flake (Signature Series).

Because one of my morning VaPers came to an end, McClelland St. James Woods, I popped the lid off this to fill that vacancy. A flake version of Anniversary Kake? Well, I rated the kake with four stars and this gets the same!

The tin-note's typically VaPer, being plummy and rich. Something which isn't a million miles from its sibling, Kake, is the presentation. The flakes have become stuck together, looking a little like a block of kake! I always fully rub a flake and with A.F. folding/stuffing would be moot. It's impossible to separate the flakes without them crumbling apart. Once a bowls worth had been sequestered from the rest, rubbed/crumbled, it needed no extra airing to ready it for ignition.

Anniversary lights with ease and then burns independently, needing little maintenance, delivering a medium temperature smoke. I find this offers more Virginia nuances than its sibling, Kake. I remember struggling to identify much in that but Flake gives a definite Virginia flavour: rural, with sharp fruit. The Perique gives less flavour than it does in the kake. There's a prune/dark fruit quality but it doesn't take control of the flavour. There's an extra sweetness, like brown sugar/molasses, with a very minor touch of alcohol appearing after a half. Because it's sibling contains rum I deduce the same here.

Nicotine: medium. Room-note: not great.

A four star smoke:

Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Stanwell Blowfish

Age When Smoked: One month

Purchased From: TobaccoPipes.com

Seedun Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Seedun (4)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I bought this hoping for anniversary Kake in flake form. I don't know if that is what was intended , but I don't get that with this flake. I bought this after reading a glowing review on PSF.com

I get very little tin note, it has a fresh clean scent of pasta/straw.

Smoking I get a citrusy/grassy Virginia with plum Perique in the back. It has the same bergamot/lavender/floral taste of STGs Drexell VIII. Laying side by side with Drexel I can't find any difference between the two. If I liked this I would purchase Luxury Navy flakes to save on cost.

Again I don't know if this is a blend all its own or not. There isn't much info on this one. It didn't say in the description "Flake version of Kake." I purchased based on a glowing review on PSF.com that compared it very closely with Kake. I just don't see how that is possible unless the formula has changed.

On its own as a vaper I give it 1.5 stars.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Lumberman, Clay, R. Hahn Brandy

Purchased From: P&C

Similar Blends: , Orlik Tobacco Company A/S - Golden Sliced (Red Tin), Scandinavian Tobacco Group (STG) - Drexel VIII, Peter Stokkebye - Luxury Navy Flake.

This is a pleasant, middle-of-the-road VaPer; the VAs prominent with the Perique noticeable but somewhat subdued throughout. Easy burning, easy to fold, easy to smoke. The touch of sweetness may come from the tobaccos or there may be a tad of rum or molasses added. This won't knock your socks off, but it's well worth trying if you like medium VaPers and Navy Flakes. I would expect it to improve with age.

Pipe Used: briars, cobs, and meers

Age When Smoked: 2 months after purchase