From P&C's web site: War Horse Bar is a plug tobacco made in the tradition of the long-missing Irish tobacco. Made of darker, earthier leaf, War Horse Bar has a singular top note added, and the tobacco is pressed and cut into plugs. The flavor and body are astoundingly stout, and is definitely meant for the experienced pipe enthusiast. If you love robust and bold pipe tobacco, War Horse Bar will become a staple for you.

BrandStandard Tobacco Company of Pennsylvania
Blended ByRuss Ouellette
Blend TypeVirginia/Burley
ContentsBurley, Kentucky, Virginia
CutPlug
Packaging50 grams Tin
Strength
Medium to Strong, Strong
Taste

3.1
JimInks (2038)
Extremely Strong Very Strong Extra Full Strong

The dark air cured tobacco is toasty and boldly earthy with a little smoky, woodiness, and fair amount of spice. The dark fired Kentucky also has a bit of smoke and wood, and a touch of cocoa along with a little spice. In a support role is a tangy ripe, fermented dark fruit red Virginia, which also offers a little earth. The toppings are the very rich Valerian root, a deep anise extract along with a tonquin-like essence. While they do tone down the tobaccos just a little, they also work well together to create a sweet, floral synergistic contrast to the varietals. The strength and taste levels are very strong, as is the powerful nicotine content. I recommend you do not smoke this on an empty stomach. There’s no chance of bite, and there are no harsh spots or dull moments. The plug has a little density, but is easily broken apart to suit your preference. It’s a little moist, but needs no dry time. Packs well and lights with no trouble. Burns at a moderate pace, cool and clean with a very smooth, consistent flavor from start to finish. Easily burns to ash, and requires only a few relights; less than expected. Leaves a slight dampness in the bowl. The after taste pleasantly lingers. The room note is potent. It most certainly is not an all day smoke, but if you like really strong tobaccos with a deeply filling quality of taste, you’ll have more than one bowl a day.

In comparison to the 1970s and 1980s versions that I have smoked, I find the amount of the various tobaccos in the new release are not far off from the earlier versions regarding the flavor. The only differences I note are that this is mildly more spicy, and a shade less earthy. The toppings are close as well, though the new version is a little sweeter. However, the toppings on the earlier incarnations may have faded just a little, which furthered my impression of the sweetness level of this plug.

Warwick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Warwick (36)
Strong Medium Medium Pleasant

First impressions review. Upon opening the tin, the aroma is odd - something of a cross between mild mothballs and scented candle, albeit not floral per se. It's not overpowering or offputting; just curiously odd. Unlike some other reviewers, I don't get any distinct sense of tonquin aroma akin to 1792 or Bracken Flake.

I can easily tear off a corner of the well-formed and pliant dark brown bar. This is much looser than, say, GH Dark Plug. The piece pulls apart remarkably easy and I can tear it into small pieces with little effort. No knife required.

I let it sit for only a couple of minutes and although I would usually expect to need to give something like this quite awhile to dry, it seems ready. So I load it into a pipe and off we go.

It lights with little fuss and burns quite well. The scenting is fairly pronounced at first - even now its still hard to put my finger on the flavor. I'm reminded of Lakeland florality, but while this is scented it just isn't floral, so its quite different from something like GH Bosun Plug. The tobacco is unduly smooth, easygoing and a bit understated; slightly dark, slightly earthy, slightly spicy, slightly toasty. The room note is warm and pleasant. One might think this was intended as an all-day smoke. I had expected to tangle with something more visceral like GH Brown Twist or Dark Plug, but this is seemingly altogether a tame horse.

However, as the bowl progresses, the scenting recedes some and the tobacco comes forward until at mid-bowl the two meld and it reminds me of gingerbread. It is so smooth and pleasant that I am puffing along at a good pace and am quite surprised that at 2/3 of the way down the nicotine has suddenly made a grand appearance. Whoa, where did that come from? This turns out be fairly potent, yet still retains its deceptively good manners and deliciousness almost all the way down. There is a slight ashiness in the final moments.

If subsequent bowls are like this one, this is going to be a favorite.

Pipe Used: MM Shire Cobbit

Purchased From: Smokingpipes

Cobguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cobguy (3)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Immediately upon opening the tin, I recognized the smell of Tonquin / Coumarin. This also comes through quite strongly in the smoke as a vanilla-like flavor which decreases throughout the smoke. Once the topping subsides a bit, the overall tobacco flavor is that of the Dark Fired. Smoky, earthy and robust in flavor ... like a Kentucky Cheroot with a light French Vanilla addition. Overall, it's a bit too "aromatic" for my everyday smokes but will be a sweet, yet powerful, change of pace now and then.

Edit: I see Doc noted the 1792 comparison ... another Tonquin inspired tobacco. For those of you that use nasal snuff, if you've ever had SG Elmo's Reserve then you know the scent. I ground and snuffed some of the WH Bar and it was much lighter but similar.

Pipe Used: cobs and briars both

Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

There are always a few new blends that seem to come out every year that are worth continuing production while many are just attempts at adding to the bottom line by throwing together this and that and then giving it a clever name. War Horse Bar has a clever, eons old name attached to it. And, it measured up! I really like the stout presentation and the Kentucky leaf shines. Others here call the topping Vanilla but I did not get that impression. It was kind of mysterious to me and added greatly to the overall presentation. Solid, stout, a little on the sweet side and palate pleasing. I was gifted my tin but am now going to spend some coin on getting more for the cellar.

Jackboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jackboy (2)
Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Wow, this is a man's man tobacco! I've smoked pipes on and off for more years than I care to think and have recently taken it up more with a passion. I generally prefer many of the GL Pease blends (eg, Westminster, Maltese Falcon, Samarra, Gaslight, etc). All great smokes, very subtle and flavorful. War Horse is in another category. What a switch. Because my wife claims to be allergic to tobacco smoke, I have to smoke outdoors, which is a challenge here in PA with winter upon us. So I smoked my first bowl while driving-not sure I recommend this as the nic hit came on all of a sudden, making me a little woozy. But this smoke is extremely satisfying, sending me into a smoke filled nirvana (driving with the windows rolled up). Highly recommended, but not for the faint of heart (or stomach).

Pipe Used: Savinelli

Age When Smoked: right out of the tin

Purchased From: Smokingpipes

Similar Blends: nothing that I've recently smoked.

Strong Medium Full Pleasant

In a word, delicious. The overall impressions come more from the flavoring than the tobaccos, although hints of the Kentucky come through. The flavorings strike me as cocoa, with hints of coffee and tonquin. The bar seems to be between a plug and a heavily-pressed crumble cake, but it breaks apart fairly easily. The N is well-hidden at first, but it does sneak up on you throughout the bowl. Unless you already smoke ropes and other heavy-N blends, this isn't an all day smoke. It lights easily, but does need a relight or two more than usual after the first half of the bowl.

Pipe Used: briars, cobs, and meers

Age When Smoked: 2 months after purchase

Purchased From: pipes & cigars

Liquid360 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Liquid360 (10)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I haven't ever been of fan of tobacco that tastes like anything but tobacco. Upon cracking the tin, it smelled so familiar, but couldn't place it. I'm the first to say so here, so perhaps I'm alone, but I smell Amaretto, almond liquor. I ripped off a corner by hand and rubbed it out onto a tray. It's a tad moist, but I packed it as is. It lights easy and burns nicely. As a child, my mother used to make something called Black Russian Cake which contained, if memory serves, Kahlúa. This blend reminds me of it. I taste chocolate, almond, and a slight coffee taste. It's very sweet which puts it right in my wheelhouse. The taste stayed consistent to the bottom. This is a VERY seriously tasty tobacco. It wasn't what I was expecting and turned into a very pleasant surprise!

Pipe Used: Dunhill 5128 Black Briar

Purchased From: pipesancigars

Similar Blends: Nothing I've had.

Medium to Strong Strong Medium Pleasant

What I like about this the most is the ease of preparing for smoking. This is not an extremely dense plug as with many of the Danish produced plugs, ie Warrior's, Peterson's 3Ps, etc. It is very similar to the way Revor Plug is pressed - you can rip off what you without the need of a knife, rub it out and put it in your pipe. Even easier than with Revor as Revor is comprised of full leaf and War Horse Bar is not. The tin smell and pre-light draw was interesting and reminded me of chocolate cake (not the icing); very coaco like with vanilla in the background. I'm suspecting this is the valerian root extract? Lighting was easy and it stayed lit without issue. It remained cool and dry to the heel and never was there any bite. During the smoke it had a faint cherry like taste as well as the taste of chocolate cake previously described. I attribute this to heliotrope which does impart a cherry flavor/aroma to whatever it is added to. Very similar to Sam Gawith's 1792 Flake but not nearly as strong or flavored as 1792. WHB has been long awaited and certainly didn't disappoint. Good for when you want something different. A solid smoke, impeccably constructed. However, a bit less of the flavoring and more of a truer tobacco taste would really be great.

Pipe Used: Peterson tankard

Age When Smoked: Fresh from tin.

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

Similar Blends: Sam Gawith's 1792 lake, but not as strong..

DeathMetal.org Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DeathMetal.org (98)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

Formed of leaves pressed into what more resembles a cake than a bar, the new War Horse Bar comes out of the package with a strong vanilla scent indicating the ever-popular top flavoring (among others) has been applied here in strength. It burns off quickly, however, revealing in sequence the smoky taste of the Dark Fired Kentucky Burley, followed by the sweetness of Virginia, and underneath it all, a heart of dark Burleys beats, giving the blend a reasonably strong presence of Nicotine and a broad, rich flavor. Unlike the UK plugs, this blend will not put you on the floor, but it has reasonable strength and a solid flavor, if a bit less integrated than the variants from across the sea. The grim fact is that little can compete with the steam-powered presses that are used over there, as PipesMagazine Forum member "misterlowercase" opined some years ago, and so this bar more resembles the loose-cut blends of the Americas than the European variety. In this blend, the dark fired and Burley tobaccos form a pleasant synergy and mostly absorb the Virginia, but there is not the smooth integration from overseas. Nonetheless, it is a pleasant smoke despite the stench of roasted marshmallows it leaves behind, and if offered at domestic prices, would be a good addition to a regular rotation.

Thanks to Pipes Magazine forum member "cosmic" for this sample.

Sea Dog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sea Dog (13)
Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Strong

When I opened the tin, I was struck with a very strong and pungent aroma that reminded me of something I had smoked in the past. Something that considerably lacked in the quality department. It took me two days to figure it out : Backwoods cigars. Yes, that's what War Horse Bar smells like. It's also what it tastes like. And it's also what the roomnote smells like. If you like Backwoods cigars, then War Horse Bar is for you.

Similar Blends: Backwoods cigars but in a pipe tobacco tin..

GabrielCRT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GabrielCRT (83)
Strong Medium to Strong Very Full Very Pleasant

I looked forward to trying this one since I first heard of its recreation. It is a great Virginia/burley with a very tasty topping. The Kentucky leaf is nutty and toasty. The Virginia is sweet and earthy. I taste cinnamon, mild tonquin, and valerian tea in the top note. These flavoring drown the tobacco taste a bit but it's well done so I don't mind. The plug is very easy to work with though it benefits from dry time to get an easy burn going. I think with some age this could be a 4 star blend but it is a little rough around the edges and I get some harshness from the Kentucky. Still, an enjoyable blend with an awesome room note.

Similar Blends: Peterson - Peterson's Perfect Plug.

dbl-bbl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dbl-bbl (52)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium Tolerable

Update: 09-2017 ... Wow what a difference some "jar time" made with this blend. Since my original review below, I opted to break up & rub out the plug and jar it for a few months before giving it another try. The rough edges (charcoal-like taste) that I reported are just about gone and the sweet fragrance of tonquin (I assume) are quite delectable. The fine burning characteristics as reported earlier are unchanged. This blend certainly deserves another star in my opinion. Still not an all day smoke but definitely a nice change of pace for me. Hence, 3 of 4 stars is my vote!

Original review: 03-2017 ... It ain't bad but it ain't great neither. The good: 1) lights & burns down easily to a white-gray ash 2) medium to full flavor and smokes relatively cool. The bad: 1) woody charcoal-like dry taste with an "odd flavor" that I just can't put my tobacco stained finger on 2) I think I'd prefer to eat a dog chit sammich.

Seriously, I'm sure some will find this tobacco appealing but it's just not for me. I'll probably try it with a little BCA rubbed in and see if that helps me make it through the tin. If not, I see one of my favorite pipe sellers below (pipestud) really likes this blend ... if I run into him at the upcoming Chicago Pipe Show I'll give it to him!

Pipe Used: Cobs-didn't want to foul my other pipes

Danno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Danno (99)
Medium to Strong Strong Full Pleasant

A friend recently included a nearly 2oz sample of this in a tobacco care package. I have been enjoying it over the past few weeks and thought to share my impressions. For what it is worth, I have no experience with any other iterations of War Horse, recent or previous.

The tobacco comes in a small, flattish bar, the shape of which reminds me of an underwhelming chocolate confection we youngsters called a 'Cuban Lunch'. It is a mottled looking thing, shot through with blacks n' browns. WHB is not heavily pressed, and rubs apart easily with a bit of pressure, no need for a sharp knife. The nose of this stuff is heady: orange peel, burnt sugar, and shortbread, and all sorts of other things that ring bells in my head but that cannot be named. As per JimInks, there is a significant tonka-like essence at play here, so if you like that sort of thing, this could be very pleasant. If not, well, keep movin', cowfolks.

Lightup produces a blast of what I presume is the Valerian root extract flavour, and it doesn't really abate during a bowl. I found it enjoyable - sweet, in a marzipan sort of way, and lightly fruity, with the hint of almonds - but it does dominate the experience. Not much in the way of complexity here, or variation. Happily, relights are a breeze, and this is a very consistent tasting tobacco.

Speaking of taste, the prevailing one is of burley and dark-fired. I get throat tingles immediately at lightup, but if puffed gently, the spicy character of this blend is a treat - retrohale carefully. Drawing heavily turns it bitter and ashy, so a gentle cadence is needed. There's some strength here, too, but it builds slowly. I would put the nicotine at medium-full, with the taste being full. These both increase slightly as you make your way through a bowl.

This is fun stuff, something like an American riff on an English flavoured tobacco of olde. I like it enough that I am gonna order some.

Age When Smoked: Newish

Medium to Strong Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

All three components are very well married making it difficult for me to separate them. The overall natural flavor is delicious. Earthy, woody, nutty, mildly smoky and spicy. Pretty dang smooth too. I'm a little conflicted about the topping. At times I find myself really enjoying it and at others I find it a little too "perfumey". It tastes like a mix of vanilla, fruit and florals with a nice sweetness. It's a stout smoke and never fails to satisfy. It's a little better than 3 stars, but I just can't go 4.

Medium to strong in body. Full in taste. Flavoring is mild. Burns pretty well.

Pipe Used: MM Marcus, Country Gentleman, Mark Twain

AcworthAl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AcworthAl (38)
Strong None Detected Very Full Unnoticeable

I am not sure what to make of this stuff. It has a strange smell, but a great taste. Not sure I believe it is all that strong i.e. 1792 Flake. I have enjoyed what I have smoked, but have trouble keeping it lit. Have not smoke many plugs. It sure is interesting and I am very happy I tried it. You should too.

Pipe Used: Cherrywood Churchwarden

Age When Smoked: Out of the tin

Purchased From: Pipe and Cigars

BigWhiteWilly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigWhiteWilly (10)
Medium Strong Full Tolerable

On opening the tin it smelt just like 1792 Flake. I used a chefs knife and had trouble cutting it. (I cube cut it)The bouquet and flavor of Tonquin was medicinal and down right sickening. No tobacco flavor came thru at all. Every once in a strange but lovely floral aroma (not unlike The Lakeland Essence) made an appearance, but not often enough for me to want to smoke this on a regular basis. I am going to cellar the tin for a year or 2 and give it another try. Overall don't waste your money,there are much better blends around.

Pipe Used: Savinelli bent billiard

Age When Smoked: 1 week

Purchased From: P&C

Similar Blends: 1792 flake, Westmoreland Mixture, Grousemore plug.

steppx Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
steppx (134)
Strong Medium to Strong Full Strong

Like its sister War Horse Green, this is potent stuff. Not quite at the level of Gawith's 1792....but not too far from that. You have to sip it. Even so I found the strength a bit much. The green label is easier to deal with while still having a lot of nicotine for those that crave it (like me). The taste is something like Brown Bogie crossed with Kendall Flake and 1792. The room note will drive people away, so be warned. Earthy, and bears comparison to old school snuff flavoring. You either like this stuff or you dont. But its to Mr Ouelette's credit that he came up with a U.S. answer to the old school Gawith style plugs and flakes (I never smoked the original it must be noted). The plug is more a plug crossed with a krumble cake. Reasonably easy to deal with (green label is easier). Strong, perhaps too strong, but tasty. `The dark fired leaf predominates.....with the vanilla (or valerian root) and other flavorings in back (I taste licorice, and perhaps whisky...and maybe geranium). Its great...but not all the time.

Purchased From: 4noggins

1979 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
1979 (49)
Very Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

Standard Tobacco Company - War Horse Bar

This has quickly (by which I mean "instantly") become one of my favorite tobaccos.  Although the info at top says it's made by Sutliff I seem to recall reading that it's made by Lane...?  Regardless it's very well put together.  I'd first like to commend and thank Mr. Ouellette and the folks at Standard for their work on this fine blend.

It was fun to read through the reviews as folks do their level best to call out all the flavors they found in the smoke, room note, tin note, etc.  All of them are correct.  I'd like to mention, bowl size or more likely shape seems to reveal or obscure these different flavorings to an extent.  Also I've noticed the tin note has changed from rich chocolate cake to playdoh to more of an anisette note since I've opened this tin.  The flavorings are potent but not obnoxious.  In the base tobacco I'm getting mostly warm nutty burley with occasional hints of dark fired.  As has been mentioned, this blend presents as far closer to a crumble cake than a plug.  It flakes apart easily and moisture was perfect, slightly moist, not wet or sticky, ready to smoke on demand. I'm hesitant to fully call this an aromatic, but it's far closer to an English style one than anything else I can think of.

Now a word about the nicotine.  It's potent too.  And it will creep up on you.  The beginning of the bowl will have you to think, "oh this ain't that strong," but just past mid-bowl, the nic-hit will leap out, virtually every time.  This is a very relaxing tobacco to me, and I suspect this may be the effect of the valerian root additional to the nicotine power.  I'd advise some caution on your first go with this.

A blend with no total equal that I know of, highly recommended.

JJ Sir Emmitt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JJ Sir Emmitt (16)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is by far the best and most interesting aromatic blend I have had to date. The tobacco itself has a rich core of roasted nut, dark chocolate, with a deep earthieness, and rich sweetness, along with a sharp pepper. Then comes this very unique top flavor that I am having some trouble pin pointing. It has a difinate rose water flavor, accompanied by sweet herb, and botanical flavors. The aroma reminds me of Tibetan Nag Chomps. My only for giving this 3 stars instead of 4 is that it tends to burn hot in the last half, washing out some of the fantastic flavors.

Pipe Used: MM Freehand

Age When Smoked: 3 Months

Jacinto Cupboard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jacinto Cupboard (172)
Strong Medium to Strong Full Pleasant

A man could go mad trying to work out the flavour additives of some tobaccos. Different reviews cast up a cornucopia of potential flavours. My two cents, the predominant flavour is maraschino or almond cherry. I get some caramel/vanilla/butterscotch aromas, but I'm not smelling tonquin at all. I agree there are some floral spice notes as well.

Comes as a thin loose plug, more like a cake to be fair. It resembles dark peat in colour and texture. As others have noted, this is easy to prepare; you can just tear off a piece and it almost rubs itself out.

This is a full aromatic, and apart from some pepper from the Kentucky, I struggled to get real tobacco flavours underneath the casing/topping.

This is quite literally a one match tobacco and burns a treat with absolutely no tongue bite. It is autumn here in the southern hemisphere now, and this feels like the right season to enjoy this baccy. Not as a regular smoke for me, but for someone looking for an aromatic that had some nicotine strength and did not sparkle and crackle with chemicals, this might fit the bill. It will however leave an lingering aftertaste in the mouth.

Pipe Used: MM Cob