An American/English blend that'll have you waxing poetically. Miyagi's Mindfulness is in a way rustic and intense with just the right amount of Cigar leaf added, yet as you smoke through the bowl portrays itself in a manner of graceful intent, touching upon the strengths of every component. A natural tobacco blend.

BrandSt. Basil's Tobacco
Blend TypeAmerican
ContentsBurley, Cigar Leaf, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia
Strength
Taste

3.8

This American English blend has a mildly tangy, dark fruit sweet and earthy red Virginia as its base. The smoky, woody sweet Cyprian latakia is a team player in a support role, as is the woody, buttery sweet Izmir, which also has slight spice and sour notes. The spice, plum and raisins from the perique underscore the experience. The nutty, earthy, lightly molasses sweet burley is just a little more obvious than the perique. The air cured Pennsylvania broadleaf is earthy with a little smoke and wood, and isn’t very sweet. It provides a light cigar flavor to the blend. The strength and taste levels are a little closer to medium than they are to mild. The nic-hit is just past the mild threshold. Won’t bite and has no harsh points. Well blended with some complexity, you’ll notice most of the tobaccos’ attributes in every puff. Burns at a moderate rate, cool and clean, and easily burns to ash. Requires few relights, and leaves very little moisture in the bowl. The after taste and room notes are smoky and woody. Can be an all day smoke if it fits your flavor profile.

-JimInks

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (65)

The excellent reviews by JimInks and Fr. Tom were the reason I searched out a supplier of this blend. I found it available at A Little Taste of Cuba, with stores in Princeton NJ and New Hope PA. You can find their phone numbers on their website. My first bowl of this didn't match the excitement of Jim and Tom, so I put my pouch away for a month to meld a little. After a little ageing I found the blend to be more to my liking. All the tobaccos play their part to create an excellent mixture. You can taste all of them in every puff. I found that this blend requires your full attention to appreciate the nuances it provides. It smokes cool and dry from start to finish. A medium tasting blend in my opinion and very unusual to anything I've smoked before. It was worth the hunt. Update: I'm finding that this blend is becoming better and better each time I smoke it. This could be the best blend I have enjoyed in a very long time. A wonderful discovery that deserves national distribution. The signature blend of St. Basil's. This blend is excellent now, but six months of ageing will make it exceptional. I'm hoping that time will smooth out it's rough edges and add some sweetness.

Purchased From: A Little Taste of Cuba (Princeton NJ and New Hope PA

The tobacco itself is a medium chopped ribbon and the pouch note is slightly sweet and "tobacco." It is a very natural smell and I don't think it is topped. I don't detect Orientals or latakia in the pouch note. It appears to be roughly equal parts tan, brown and black ribbons.

Smoked, this is very good. It has earthy burley and a sweet Virginia as the solid foundation. The Orientals present as slightly spicy and the the latakia is condimental. There are woody, smoky notes, and the perique brings out the heavy fruit in the Virginia and perhaps contributes to the spice. I can't distinguish cigar leaf here, but there is a pleasant and slightly acrid note from time to time, and that may be a quality of the burley or the cigar leaf waving its hand.

This is really remarkably good and it is the type of thing I like. It is subtle and tasty. I am on the fence with the score for this. It is very close to a 4 for me, and in the St. Basil blends, this is the best with Rasputin being a close second. If I could buy this by the pound at the same price as C&D, I probably would have already. Rasputin got a 3 and this one gets a 4. It really is a great blend and is easy for me to recommend.

the_dalai_lama_himself Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
the_dalai_lama_himself (44)

Well I blended it so I guess I’ll give you my thoughts on what i was looking for when coming up with MM. I wanted a balanced, complex, and easy smoking American/English that has some kick and one that had some angles, nothing irks me more than a lifeless flat experience. Miyagi’s is woodsy and peppery, especially when it’s first blended.. crazy how the years have mellowed it. A good amount of fermented dark fruitiness.. smokes slightly oriental forward which has increased over the years, however proportionately the red virginia and namely the perique is its base. Earthy w Latakia and a small amount of two different Cigar varietals, providing some leather and add distinct layers of flavor and body, I don’t enjoy super sweet blends and I’m super picky about cavendish, so decided to leave it out.. and the burn quality did not suffer one bit.. Burley was added even though at the time I wasn’t a big fan, however I think the combustion/temperature benefited greatly. I’d wager it can be a bit rustic for some, which for the % of perique and addition of cigar tobaccos I wasn’t too worried about anyway. Complex and an all day smoke if it fits your palate.. I blended it in and prefer it in a cob, the .75” diameter/ more narrow bowls will increase the pepper which I like and the sweetness of the cob works well with the woodsy nature of the blend, in wider bowls such as my 320 author shape ive found tame the spicey qualities a bit and present a more mellow slightly tangy delivery which will probably be best for more traditional danish / English blend Smoker’s. Please sample the aroma of the tobacco before smoking, as tobaccos go through periods both healthy and sick I believe this to be a true indicator of what you’ll get when you put a light to it. I hope you enjoy if you are ever to come across any. Koy L Matta

Pipe Used: Do yourself a favor and smoke out of a Corn Cob.