Long cut Virginia and Latakia, pressed into perfection.

Notes: Bengal Slices was, originally, the flake version of Balkan Sobranie. When Gallaher took over the Sobranie mixtures from the Redman family the original blenders finding the composition too complex and costly, they simplified it.

After Gallaher stopped making the simplified Bengal Slices, Mr James B Russell arranged for a composition similar to the Gallaher revision to be made exclusively for them by A & C Petersen, Horsens, Denmark.

A & C Petersen has recently been sold to Orlik A/S, of Assens, Denmark, which promptly discontinued the manufacture of Bengal Slices. A replacement, under the James B Russell ægis, has been released, approximating the A & C Petersen blend.

BrandBengal Slices
Blended ByA & C Peterson
ContentsVirginia, Black Cavendish, Latakia
Packaging50g. Tin
Strength
Taste

2.7
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

My review of Bengal Slices is based on a tin from the 1990's. Due to the age of the tin the Virginias offered sugar crystals that made BS visually inviting. I chose to rub out the small flakes. The tobacco was still moist and I found it smoked better on the dry side after having smoked it both ways. On every occasion I really enjoyed the first half of the bowl. Unfortunately, as each bowl progressed, the Latakia really took over and I found myself longing for some Oriental component as the flavor was too monotone. I do find BS similar to Lancer Slices, however I prefer Lancer Slices over this blend. I am glad I was able to experience this fabled blend, but I won't be spending my hard earned cash on finding a rare tin.

Elkhunter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Elkhunter (8)

Thick,creamy,greasy smoke wish it was still around

Very old tin - from sometime around 1992 or so. Still very moist in the tin, this is a predominately black flake with some mottled leaf. Very nice looking small flake.

Hard to keep lit out of the tin so I dried it to varying degrees and got the best results when it was extremely dry and crumbly. That must be the result of the flake because latakia flakes always seem to work better for me when close to tinder dry, whereas ribbons work best when somewhat moist.

The latakia definitely makes its presence known throughout the smoke. My tin was not toned down (based on my memory) through aging and if fact I'm wondering if the latakia became stronger (i.e the cavendish and virginias mellowed but the latakia did not!) with aging. This was like sucking on straight latakia with a fleck or two of sweetened burley. Robust and zesty but not terribly memorable. This is something to try if you can find an old tin but, as other reviewers mentioned, Penzance does a better job in the latakia flake department, as does McClellands Latakia Flake.

tabaco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tabaco (69)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

Alas, another great blend which for sometime has gone the way of the Dodo bird.

A dear elderly neighbour and friend who was the former proprietor of the best tobacco shop for many miles around. A very wise man indeed, he amassed a spectacular inventory of his favourite pipe tobacco and cigars to see him through until his final departure; yet to arrive.

I had the pleasure of receiving four tins, approximately 35 years old. I really enjoyed the aroma and the contents were in impeccable condition. I found this to be a truly fantastic blend, cool burning, complex but not too demanding, very creamy mouth feel with dense blue smoke hanging heavily in the air.

It is certainly true that this was the flake/slice version of the famed Balkan Sobranie. I actually prefer the Sobranie in this form. The last decade or so, I have had a strong preference for slices and pressed tobacco. I really like the richness of a slice and the complex flavours. Many folks complain about the packability and combustion, both of which do not bother in the least.

Of the blends of today, it would be somewhere between Esoterica Penzance and J.F. Germain Special Latakia Flake. I have tried ageing these slices together and then smoking them in the same bowl and the result is sort of close and a most pleasant smoke.

I wholeheartedly recommend the Bengal Slices, a true luxury and exceedingly rare.

chaplikc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chaplikc (135)
Mild None Detected Medium Tolerable

I had a tin of this given to me from 1988 and it was wonderfull. The smoke was cool, smooth, soft, light and sweet. The taste is smokey, light and slightly sweet. There were some nuances of an earthy grassy type that weaved themselves in and out through out the bowl and were very tastey as well. This is really a wonderful blend and I much Appreciated it. I just wish I could acquire more of this since it unavailable to me right now. If you have an opportunity to acquire this, do it. You may like it or even treasure it!

Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

I smoked a tin of this back in 2003, and was not impressed. The Virginia was rather dull, grassy and so hay-like, I was half-expecting a horse to walk in and graze out of the tin. There was a slight sweetness from the topping, which was a little sugar/molasses-like, and provided a mild creaminess, but it did not offset the Virginia enough to create a smooth smoke. The latakia was the dominant flavor, but it wasn't anything special. Knowing its history regarding the Balkan Sobraine - and being a Balkan Sobraine fan - I was disappointed by this in nearly every way. It wasn't bad, but it was incredibly unremarkable. It probably isn't a one star blend, but I can't give what I smoked more than that.

This flake was awesome, the black Cavendish brought a nice contrast to the latakia. A dark mixture, it was still easy to smoke and I have thouroughly liked all the tins I had purchased. If I would have known it would end up discontinued, I would have stocked up.

Darth Vader Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth Vader (75)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

Made in Denmark. Bought on Ebay. Bit of a gamble and i lost. Tastes like Black Cav really. Somewhat similar to Frog Morton On the Bayou which i didnt think much of either. I'll be giving or trading this as its just to awful to smoke. I see why this was discontinued.

Peppino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peppino (74)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Smoking this in a Castello and enjoying every puff, I've had this tin unopen for well over 10 yrs and finally cracked it open. This is a fine tobacco, it get's better as you move down the bowl. It burns well and is easily rubbed out to your liking. The latakia comes through at the mid point and continues to get better, it reminds me of good Virginia flakes that just get richer as your nearing the end of the bowl. As all good blends you don't want it to end, a fine blend that I wish I could still get.

Leslie Blane Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Leslie Blane (6)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Seven or so years ago, I bought a tin of this and like provguy below was disappointed, which leads me to wonder which version I smoked. If Fairmon's Lancers Slices in any way resembles the original Bengal Slices, I can safely say that what I smoked was not the Gallaher version because the latakia was a but a hint. I kept the tin for a while and dipped into it from time to time, but I never got satisfaction.

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

Too bad it is not available aymore in its original form.

The sweetend black CA brought a nice touch to this Latakia & Va flake.

This has been my first Latakia flake and I enjoyed it.

RMBittner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RMBittner (66)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Review based on a pre-2000 tin, opened January 2010; so this comes with more than a decade of age on it. (It always seems a bit pointless to review a blend no longer in production. But maybe there are tins still hanging around out there for the curious...)

I largely agree with the reviewer here who wrote: "Of the blends of today, it would be somewhere between Esoterica Penzance and J.F. Germain Special Latakia Flake." Bengal Slices, however, lacks the distinctive Oriental presence that makes Penzance such a unique and wonderful smoke. Minus the orientals, it is an ultra-smooth and soft mixture that seamlessly blends a constant latakia presence with an equally constant VA/Cavendish underpinning. It is surprisingly mild in flavor.

It is also surprising in its production of smoke from the bowl: This is the smokiest blend I've had in a long, long time. Not a concern whatsoever, unless you're in the company of others who don't share your love for a fine English mixture.

I haven't had the original Bengal Slices -- the flaked version of Balkan Sobranie -- since it was in production. But I can say that this is a completely different blend. The original bore the distinctive spice and rich latakia presence of a true Balkan blend; later-era Bengal Slices had moved into quite different territory. Both are enjoyable. But the original still remains a truly amazing -- and unduplicated -- mixture.

Guyrox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Guyrox (131)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

This was among my first good ventures into english/balkan blends, after the light english mixtures - Rattray's no 7, Blatter & Blatter Light english Mixture, for example- were not enough anymore in terms of strength.

There are not many latakia flakes on the market; this one was very tasteful, satisfying, but not extremely strong. The black Cavendish mellowed it down.

The flakes were very dark, with a bit of brown and golden streams, easy to rub out but harder to keep lit because of the overall darkness colour. Slow burning, obviously, big latakia taste - I suspect syrian- and VA, kind of heavy room note.

Too bad, I haven't had it in a while, would love to retry it but can't find it anywhere!

A good flake, recommended!

DeltaSnake Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DeltaSnake (31)
Extremely Mild Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

I still have old tins from this stuff when I smoked it twenty years ago. It was good stuff, albeit a bit too moist and thus needing rubbing out first. Also, the flavor was near excellent, but didn't match other slices that I was smoking at the time (I was into slice a lot at the time). A find old brand, that almost is a great one, but has a very slight undercurrent of blandness almost like there was cheap burley mixed in or something. Nonetheless, the drier it got, the better it smoked, and was always in the rotation.

pop-pop's pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pop-pop's pipe (96)

Rich and flavorful. Probably won't pass the wife test due to the latakia. Rub it out good it smokes cooler that way. Well balanced medium english smoke.

Blackhorse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blackhorse (70)
Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

Is it that we're so spoiled by the likes of great Dunhill, C&D, McClelland and Peace blendings - that the old mainstays are vanishing? There is certainly genius at work in today's American crafters and time tested quality from Britan...here, is a dull but faithful companion. Mild, not potent...simple, not exciting. Perhaps it takes a tour on the sub-continent and yearnings for the cool, damp, green countryside to generate warm feelings for the comforts found in Bengal Slices. I have one tin in a well sealed glass jar on my shelf - that's enough.

Hmm-m-m-m. I wonder if I mixed it half and half with Penzance if that would.....

Oh, why waste the Penzance. If you want this sort of profile, but with flavor...then that's what you should have in your pipe anyway!

Boring and mundane. The best thing about this blend is the unique tin it came in. The tin I smoked was from when the blend was made in England. I understand the Danish version is somewhat better - hope so!

Bengal slices burns cool and dry. It is a flake and rubs out easily too. If you are not in the mood for any surprises at the end of your day and want just a plain old Latakia flavor stewing in your kisser, well, here you go. Grrrrrrrrrr!

provguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
provguy (52)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

I purchased my tin of Bengal Slices 3 years ago so I am not sure who made it at that time. In any case with everything I had heard about this tobbaco I was very excited to try it. I was very disappointed. The taste was almost not noticeable. It is a flake and rubs out easily. But I had a hard time tasting much. I thought it could be me so I left it for about 1 year and came back to it. Same story. Flat. Do not recommend this to anyone. It was not repulsive at all, just a lack of anything flavorful. It did have some flavor of latakia but that was it. Two stars.

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)

This is no longer made, not even by J. B. Russell.

It bears only the most casual resemblance to Balkan Sobranie, whose flake version it originally used to be. The addition of some Cavendish-processed leaf gives the blend a disconcerting creaminess that, as far as I am concerned, just doesn't go with Latakia. I know that the Danes love this "Scottish" (in their dreams!)combo, and that Dunhill has some famous Latakia/Cavendish blends; but here the balance is not really successful. The whole thing tastes like a "cross-over" Latakia-aromatic. HERESY!! HERESY!! do you hear?

This is like Frog Morton with shoes.

Not the worst I have ever smoked, and the tin-appearance suggests quality, but there are many better attempts at this kind of thing in the market. Blends seldom die without reason.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Similar to Penzance, a crumble cake showing much dark leaf with medium mottling and a few light flashes. The aroma is heavy Latakia, with good matured sweet Va, possibly some light topping. The taste is rich and lovely, quite complex with the smokiness playing off against the sweeter VA notes. For me, hard to keep it lit, much more so than Penzance. Worth a try, as YMMV.

Albion1956 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Albion1956 (41)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Visions of the days of the Empire, the Raj, and Kipling, made this a must. This tobacco, like some others, have either dissapeared, or have been reborn into a different but simular configuration. Bengal Lancers chasing after the Turks, make for good reading, and this tobacco is a good accompaniment. Upon opening the can, one can smell the rich musty smell of Latakia, and Cavendish. The flakes are small, but bold, and break apart easily. Filling is no problem, since this tobacco is related to Krumble Kake. Lighting emits a smokey presence, that is enjoyable, and somewhat acrid. The Latakia, and Virginia's are well blended, and the Cavendish is the glue to the whole mixture. Tasty, and familar, this is a easy smoke, on all in the area, except maybe PC cranks. Unfortunatly, this tobacco may vanish. Here, Here, for the folks at JBR, for trying to keep the old blends around.

tillmanj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tillmanj (73)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Tin Aroma: This blend smells heavily of molasses or caramel mingled with Latakia. A wonderful mix of smoky and sweet notes make for a tobacco scent unlike any other.

Physical Characteristics: Very dark sliced of pressed latakia, cavendish and stoved virginias. These slices are slightly smaller than most virginia flakes. The rub out to a chunky broken flake, but are too small to fold and roll, as is popular to do with virginia flakes. Burns slowly and smoothly to a fluffy white ash. I do find this blend slightly too moist upon first opening a tin, but after a day or two, it normalizes to a nicely smokability.

Notes: This is a very full-flavored mixture, suitable as an after dinner or evening smoke. The molasses and caramel notes I detected in the aroma are present in the flavor as well. I very much enjoy this sweet note, and so do not accompany this blend with any alchoholic drink, as they all seem to overpower the sweet note. Tea does seem to go well with it, I particularly like it with a Lapsong Suchong!

mparker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mparker (51)

This tobacco consists of virginia pressed with cyprian latakia (and my throat tells me that at least some of that black is cavendish), and sliced into flake form. While it lacks the layered complexity of some other english-style blends, Bengal Slices is nonetheless a superbly balanced tobacco, with a nice modestly sweet underpinning from the virginias, and a smoky, fairly spicy topping from the latakia.

Both the virginias and the latakia are surprisingly restrained in this blend, with none of the tongue-dissolving acidity of many other virginia-heavy blends (mcclellands) or the overwhelming smokiness of many english blends, I suspect because of the cavendish. While I'm not generally a fan of cavendish, its presence here seems to mellow out the blend nicely.

The room aroma is a straightforward smokiness, and doesn't seem to generate any complaints.