Commemorating 140 years of pipe making tradition, Savinelli's 140th Anniversary Blend is an elegant mixture of red and bright Virginias, spiced with Orientals and choice dark-fired florets from Italy, and infused with subtle notes of citrus and wildflowers for a unique and satisfying smoke.

The special florets used in this blend are a staple in Italian cigar production, and are all grown and double-fermented on a singular farm in the Tuscan Tiber Valley region of Italy— a location recognized for its history and tradition of tobacco cultivation dating back to the 17th century.

BrandSavinelli
Packaging3 ounce tin
Strength
Taste
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable

The red Virginias are mildly tangy, dark fruit sweet with earth and a touch of spice. The bright Virginias have some citrus along with a little grass, though there is less of latter aspect than expected. Both Virginias compete and complement each other. The dark fired florets from Italy add a little wood, mild spice, a slight cigar note, and a more obvious floral quality. The cigar florets are processed from dark fired Italian burley off cuts. Background support comes from the woody, buttery sweet and sour, lightly spicy Orientals. The citrus topping sports a mildly sweet richness, contrasted by the addition of the mediumly floral essence of wild flowers. The floralness of this blend creates a European feel to the very smooth, consistent flavor. It never weakens or gets harsh, and will not bite even if pushed. It does moderately tone down the tobaccos. The nic-hit is slightly more than mild. The strength is a little closer to medium than it is to mild. The taste is at the medium threshold, mostly due to the addition of the wild flowers. Well blended with some nuance, it burns at a reasonable pace, requiring few relights. Leaves very little dampness in the bowl. The after taste pleasantly lingers, and the room note is mildly sweet and floral. It’s close to an all day smoke for the experienced piper, and a good starter for those just exploring blends in this genre.

-JimInks

moniker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
moniker (140)

As far as I know, 140 Year Anniversary Mixture is the only recent Savinelli offering that is made for them by Cornell and Diehl. While 140 is not rough, like some other C&D blends, it is qualitatively different from the other, recent Savinelli blends I’ve tried (and especially enjoyed). In fact, it took me a while to get the most from this blend, and I came close to setting it aside before I locked onto it.

In the opened tin, moist tobacco ribbons range from golden brown to dark brown. The melded VAs and Orientals smell like grassy, tobacco-ish cake, with a mystery topping, supposedly citrus and wildflowers. The smoky Sansepolcro is not discernible under the initial scents. The ribbons are easy to load and fairly easy to light, and it burns down pretty fast. I first tried smoking 140 straight from the tin, lightly loaded into an ODF briar that I figured would offset a fast burn. All was not well. It was myriad and random, blunt, unbalanced, and dry enough to choke me. Still, I persisted with large pipes for some time, because 140 really does burn quickly. Then I drew a blank with a WW II Comoy’s I use for cigar blends. Hmm… Finally, on a hunch I wish I’d gotten in the first place, I tried it in an old, group 4 Punto Oro ½ bent bulldog. Bingo! This pipe presents 140 so well that I’ve stopped experimenting, and the following review of the smoke is based on my use of “the right pipe”.

140 handles, packs, lights and smokes easily, and there is plenty of smoke. I pack it lightly and I draw very lightly for the best results. For me, so much of this blend is in the light snork. I smell and taste the lighter VAs first, mild, grassy, with very faint meadow flowers. Next I smell and taste Macedonian leaf that is mossy and dry, with vague Middle Eastern kabob spices. Next comes the slightly smoky, slightly nutty, slightly bitter Sansepolcro, which is also mildly cigar-like. Though it waxes and wanes through the smoke it never really rears up like a full-fledged cigar, at all. About ½ way down the bowl, the earthier, red VA comes up to meld with, temper, and enrich the lot. I want to be clear, although 140 was poorly balanced when I smoked it in my large pipes, in the pipe I settled on it is very well balanced, with just enough wobble to keep it interesting, and it works for me in this pipe with or without my brain engaged. I particularly enjoy the frisson between the Sansepolcro and the Orientals, which reminds me in that way of GLP’s Key Largo, albeit 140 is less cigar-like, and it lacks Latakia. Strength is toward medium. Tastes are just over medium. Room note is tolerable, despite the stinky tobaccos the blend employs. Aftertaste is more of the smoke.

Perhaps I’m too easy, but I figure all’s well that ends well, and danged if I haven’t gotten ahold of yet another 4 star blend. I recommend Savinelli’s 140 year Anniversary Mixture to anyone who likes Key Largo, and I offer the same advice I offered when I reviewed KL: Take it easy, and don’t give up on it too soon. FWIW, I’m betting that 140 is going to age very well (just as Key Largo does).

Update, 07-25-2018: Smoked some that's been cellared in a jar since before I wrote my review. This 140 has matured/evolved into a rich, "luxury" smoke, like the other recent Savinelli blends. No issues. Very nice, indeed!

Pipe Used: Various; settled on group 4 briar

Age When Smoked: fresh from undated tin

Purchased From: 4Noggins

Similar Blends: Compare/contrast to GLP Key Largo, also C&D's Small Batch Sansepolcro.

Snappo's Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Snappo's Pipe (18)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Savinelli 140th Anniversary - Ultra-fine!!! Multi-nuanced levels of full flavorful sophistication best enjoyed slowly in a contemplative large conical-bottomed bowl... there is so much going on in this beautiful blend, yet no part eclipses another... yes, IMO, this one is SPECIAL. A marvelous concentrated spicy sweet leathery floral cigar multi-flavor-hit to the palette, and stellar on the retro-hale!

Pipe Used: Custom Deep conical-bowled Briar Ramses...

Age When Smoked: Less than one year

Purchased From: Gift

Similar Blends: None other....

nkulk8r Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nkulk8r (67)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

This tobacco is so different from anything else I have ever tried. Aside from Doblone d'Oro, it is the only Savinelli tobacco I have sampled; the only “Italian” tobacco I have in my cellar. (Kudos to Jeremy Reeves for pulling this off/putting this together).

This tobacco is so quintessentially Italian. (Granted, I have no idea what a "quintessentially Italian" pipe tobacco tastes like, but, as it is a Savinell, and because the special dark-fired florets come from the Tuscan Tiber Valley region of Italy, I am totally comfortable in saying that this tobacco is "quintessentially Italian" -- as opposed to, say, "quintessentially English").

As I began smoking my first bowl, I immediately thought/felt that this is what Ciarán Hinds may very well have had in his Peterson pipe when he played Carl, the former Israeli soldier and tweedy, professorial “cleaner” in Steven Spielberg’s “Munich,” the movie about Israel’s Operation Wrath of God campaign following the 1972 Munich massacre.

The team is in Rome, in pursuit of their first target, Abdel Wael Zwaiter, who was a Palestinian translator, poet and Black Septemberist. Following Zwaiter’s demise, “Carl” -- with pipe in hand -- calmly, coolly, collects shell casings from the scene once the job is done.

As of this posting, Savinelli 140 has only 4-star ratings. The only other tobacco I own with all 4-star ratings are Druquer & Sons' Trafalgar, along with my two tins of McClelland's 1992 Christmas Cheer.

Excellent stuff, this Savinelli 140.

Pipe Used: Mastro Geppetto pipe dell'anno 2018 Rusticato

Determinator Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Determinator (93)
Medium Very Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Let's start from the beginning so as not to forget to mention the tangy, earthy citrus reds, the lemony, citrus Virginias, buttery sweet Orientals, Florets of Italiano & the cigar leaf grown in the Sansepolcro region of Italy & just keep things simple. You either like a specific mixture or your don't for reasons of differing DNA and varying taste receptors. As far as I'm concerned, it is a crowning achievement in the pipe tobacco procurement & blending craft. Savinelli tobaccos keep me coming back for more & of those few that I've sampled thus far have overwhelmed & surprised me with outstanding flavor.

Upon opening, I didn't smell any cigar leaf at all. The first thing that came to my olfactory senses was a very "slight" aroma of fresh baked, chocolate chip cookies or brownies... American style! Did the tobacco taste good & satisfy the palate... most certainly! Did it have good flavor... extremely! Did the tin aroma carry over into the flavor... very little if any! Was it a wimpy, mild, cheap blend? Just the opposite... closer to the strong side in the medium to strong spectrum especially when you reach the halfway point. Would I smoke it again or repurchase a tin of this sublime mixture? Yes, & have already done so... the last one available online at this time. My apologies to other seekers of the blend. I was able to acquire four tins via various online venders & also was able to obtain five tins of C & Ds Sansepolcro… an indication of how well I liked these types of mixtures. Now about the flavor while smoking.

Although one might think of it as a "mild" aromatic from the tin aroma, nonetheless, it is far from such. The cigar leaf flavor was virtually unnoticeable "to me" while smoking this mixture. It is an excellent, enjoyable tobacco blend with plenty of flavor & strength that doesn't bite & should satisfy the whelms of any piper. I think it's one of the most enjoyable tobaccos I've ever smoked in the past ten years or so. The dark-fired florets (flowered portions) probably added that extra dimension of flavor that gives it a slight floral sweetness & additional flavor but all the varietals work well together especially approaching the halfway point. It sold out quickly everywhere which makes a statement without saying anything at all. Four stars plus... off the chart, as it were! Want to know more or be reassured? Check with the tobacco Guru, JimInks, the Sherlock Holmes or "Bond"... James Bond of Tobacco Reviews. I hope he has obtained an insurance policy on his taste buds & olfactory sensors as suggested. No one knows tobacco like that "dude."

Pipe Used: D. S. Huber Bent Dublin, Cavicchi Canted Dublin

Age When Smoked: Fresh Tin

Purchased From: 4 Noggins & Tobacco Pipes

Similar Blends: One piper suggested a resemblance to Sensepolcro which seems logical. I have some on the way but so far, nothing else that I've sampled on this planet readily compares... a new beginning, as it were. Will update soon..

McQueen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
McQueen (25)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is based off of a new, 2019 tin of this blend . I have to echo what others have said, this is an excellent and unique blend that just isn’t quite like any other I have tried. Slightly sweet vabur that burns well with no bite.

Emeritus Account Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Emeritus Account (28690)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Full Pleasant

Let's start from the beginning & forget about the tangy, earthy citrus reds, the lemony, citrus Virginias, buttery sweet Orientals, Florets of Italiano & the cigar leaf grown in a speciific region of Italy & just keep things simple. You either like a specific mixture or your don't for reasons of differing DNA and varying taste receptors. As far as I'm concerned, it is a crowning achievement in the pipe tobacco procurement & blending craft.

Upon opening, I didn't smell any cigar leaf of any sort. The first thing that came to my olfactory senses was a very "slight" aroma of fresh baked, chocolate chip cookies or brownies... American style! Did the tobacco taste good & satisfy the palate... most certainly! Did it have good flavor... extremely! Did the tin aroma carry over into the flavor... very little if any! Was it a wimpy, mild, cheap blend... just the opposite! Would I smoke it again or repurchase a tin of this sublime mixture?... yes, & have already done so... the last one available online at this time. My apologies to other seekers of the blend!

Although one might think of it as an aromatic from the tin aroma, nonetheless, it is far from such. The cigar leaf flavor was virtually unnoticeable "to me" while smoking this mixture. It is an excellent, enjoyable tobacco blend with plenty of flavor & strength that doesn't bite & should satisfy the whelms of any piper. I think it's one of the best, out of about 80 different samples I've smoked in the past ten years or so. It sold out quickly everywhere which makes a statement without saying anything at all. Four stars plus... off the chart, as it were! Want to know more or be reassured?... check with the tobacco Guru, JimInks, the Sherlock Holmes or "Bond"... James Bond of Tobacco Reviews. I hope he has obtained an insurance policy on his taste buds as suggested. No one knows tobacco like that "dude."

Pipe Used: D. S. Huber Bent Dublin, Cavicchi Canted Dublin

Age When Smoked: Fresh Tin

Purchased From: 4 Noggins & Tobacco Pipes

Similar Blends: Nothing else readily available on this planet to compare... a new beginning, as it were! I like that phrase... "as it were." Got it from the Brits. A simple three word phrase with much meaning..