A warm mug of cocoa flecked with marshmallow. It's cold outside. Your pipe's alight. It's looking like it might snow. If bright, gold Virginias fulfill your Christmas wish, blend in some reds. It's quite a spread. With burley and cavendish. A blend for the season, warmed with Christmas cheer makes our "Corncob Pipe and a Button Nose" for the best day of the year!

Blended ByJeremy Reeves
Strength
Taste

JimInks (2042)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

The bright Virginia is a little grassy with some citrus. The red Virginia has some tangy ripe fruit with a little earth, and I observe the red just a little more than the bright. The burley is nutty with some earth and molasses, and a touch of cocoa as an important supporting player. I get mild honey, toast notes from the Virginia cavendish. The black cavendish is in the background, and mainly provides a little brown sugar smoothness. The chocolate topping has a silky richness, along with a slight bitter hit from the chocolate bitters. I notice them more than the subtle vanilla from the marshmallow. The toppings sublimate the tobaccos without drowning them out. The tobacco is more like small pieces rather than cube cut, which helps the burn rate. The nic-hit is fairly mild. Won’t bite, and has no dull or harsh spots. The strength and taste are mild. Lightly moist out of tin, I only dried it (a little) twice out of the many bowls I smoked for this review. Not really as complex as my review implies as some of the nuances are very slight, but it burns cool at a slow to regular pace if not dried. Moderate puffing, and a light dry time is recommended. I find it does better in a cob. The flavor is very consistent as the toppings do not weaken at any time. Requires few relights. Leaves a little moisture in the bowl, but no goop or dottle. Has a pleasantly lingering sweet, light bitter spice after taste and room note.

HankMoody Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HankMoody (6)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This is a delightful little aromatic with an unusual, pebble-cut texture that I'd almost describe as "sand cut," because the grains are so fine. I just pour the mixture right into my pipe, give it a gentle tamp, and I'm off to the races. I will tamp a bit more firmly as I progress through the bowl. Doing so, I find, coaxes the most flavorful smoke from this tobacco.

And what an interesting tobacco it is. I get just a little bit of hay and sweetness from the Virginias, but I mostly taste the burley. It's nutty and sweet and creamy. The cocoa note is very present on the nose and also on the palate, supported by a backbone of molasses and a deep fruity note.

The burn is relatively steady, slow, and even, and there is no bite unless you really try to push it.

This is one of those rare aromatics that tastes exactly as it smells. I'm a big fan and will be stocking up for the holiday season.

Three and a half stars.

RipNpiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RipNpiper (4)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

When I first opened the tin the smell hit me like a ton of bricks. The tin note is outstanding, it reminds me of homemade hot chocolate my grandma makes during the Holidays. The cut to me seems a little small, but that doesn't phase me at all. It lights easily, little to no problems. Mid bowl I started to get a nice chocolaty taste with a hint of rum, I also picked up a vanilla taste in there as well. The nicotine is very subtle. This is definitely a perfect cold weather smoke. I'm going to jar this and open it up around Thanksgiving to enjoy throughout the holidays.

Purchased From: SmokingPipes.com

Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (150)

Corn Cob Pipe (and a button nose) presents as medium brown cube cut, bordering on overly fine. The tin note is predominantly of eggnog and marshmallow, with some light cocoa, vanilla, and caramel.

Takes a match well and burns surprisingly dry for an aromatic. The burley adds a bit of wood and a hint of nuttiness with the flavor profile otherwise reflecting the tin note, albeit with the light chocolate more towards the forefront. In the first third of the bowl, the Virginias are overwhelmed by the flavored Cavendish and burley base, but let's face it: you're not buying this for the Virginia, right? Yet by mid-bowl there's a touch of white sugar on the tongue, suggestive of the portion of quality Virginias that set this series of blends aside from more mundane aromatics. In the final third the Virginias disappear again as the flavored Cavendish reasserts. The final third can get a touch sour with aggressive puffing, so try to take it easy on the cadence here - a challenge given the wonderful Christmas favors.

Overall this is an excellent aromatic, and one that doesn't become a goopy mess by the final third of the bowl. Smokability is far better than the very fine cube cut would suggest. Smokes a bit hot in the pipe, but that heat doesn't translate to the tongue. Leaves surprisingly little moisture in the bowl. This blend pairs exceptionally well with a sweet liqueur, and I look forward to smoking this from Thanksgiving to Christmas with family and guests that always appreciate a nice room note.

*Interestingly, this does seem to come alive in a cob. The power of marketing, or a purpose-built blend? You decide.

Kribbage Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kribbage (31)
Medium Very Mild Very Mild Unnoticeable

I am sorry to say I do not share the good vibes others have written concerning this blend, or for that matter, ANY of the numerous blends from this company. The overwhelming taste of this tobacco really turns me off....mainly the grassy, hay taste, and I could not get past it. The cut of the blend reminded me of the bottoms of tins and bags of tobacco where it is so fine, it literally clogs up the air hole of the pipe. I was really looking forward to trying this blend out, and I was VERY disappointed. I felt I was smoking a pipe full of mowed grass.

Pipe Used: Corncob, Sasieni Pembroke

Age When Smoked: Right out of tin

Similar Blends: Nothing I have tried up to this point, thank goodness.

Theosprey247 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Theosprey247 (69)
Very Mild Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I've been on a year long quest to find an aromatic blend that I like and was about to give up when I noticed this blend. I decided to give it a whirl coz I like snowman. Opening the tin the first thing I noticed was the fact that the tobacco was mostly cut into little cubes. This made loading up my pipe a snap (just pour the stuff in). Second was the pleasant aroma of cocoa.

After getting the blend going the nuttiness of the burley makes itself present underneath the flavoring of cocoa and every once in a while chocolate. The flavoring is not over powering, but rather complements the burley. However, I did not taste the Virginias. Not harsh at all and didn't bite me.

Highly recommended it is a perfect cold weather blend.

Pipe Used: Cobs

GabrielCRT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GabrielCRT (84)
Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I've smoked quite a few bowls of this now and every time I've heard compliments on the aroma. This blend is just fine in a briar but better in a corn cob pipe! The base of small cube cut burley is nutty and brings the overall strength of the blend to medium. The bright Virginia contributes a background hay note while the red Virginia is earthy with a little fruity sweetness. The cavendish keeps the burn cool and soaks up the topping. And what a beautiful topping this has! The vanilla actually tastes like marshmallows here. The chocolate bitters are unbelievably tasty. It is easy to burn this to nothing but ash with a little dry time. My favorite Christmas blend yet, I see an 8oz tin finding its way to my cellar.

BJBurn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BJBurn (3)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

For me was a pleasant evening smoke, but by the end of the bowl I had to go in and lay down. I seem to get nicotine headaches quite easily. I was hoping more for a Christmas spice but this one was more towards the hay and some cocoa flavor. Not really what I enjoy.

Pipe Used: Ropp 9mm

Age When Smoked: just purchased

Purchased From: smoking pipes.com

The Sunday Evening Pipe Smoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Sunday Evening Pipe Smoker (41)
Medium Medium Mild Pleasant

Tin note first impressions was very much of nuts with a hint of cocoa. More nuts than cocoa to my mind. It actually reminded me of a slightly less hazelnut version of Nutty Irishman.

At first, I couldn't really detect much of either flavour in the bowl, but as it progressed down to the latter half, I could definitely get more of a sense of a slightly nutty, slightly chocolatey flavour and I enjoyed the second half more than the first -- a rarity as I find it usually goes the other way.

Would be interesting to pair this with a hot chocolate actually and see how it works out.

Wouldn't be a regular go to, but not a bad option as an occasional dessert tobacco.

One thing I should note, as you get about halfway through the bowl, you will notice the nic-kick; not so much as a strong blend like Nightcap or Royal Yacht, but it is clearly there.

That said, if I had Lane I Q and / or Nutty Irishman around, I'd probably get my adequate fill of an aro. that way, but it could be good for a change or if you just want the psychosomatic aspect given by the winter/Christmas marketing.

JohnnyMcPiperson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyMcPiperson (108)
Very Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

I found this to be good for an aromatic, but there are others I like better. It was pretty steady throughout the bowl, grassy with subtle notes of marshmallow, hot cocoa, and nutmeg. Overall a creamy, but haylike smoke.

Pipe Used: Old Dominion Pipe Co. - Virginia Planter

Age When Smoked: 1 year old

Similar Blends: We three kings, 1Q.

Bibster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bibster (6)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I first tried this under less than ideal conditions, in 80-degree temperatures while riding a lawn tractor. Nonetheless, Corn Cob Pipe turned out to be an extremely pleasant smoke. This was the most finely cut tobacco I have ever seen and I had some concerns that it would actually clog the pipe, but that was not a problem. It was a very easy tobacco to smoke -- I simply gravity filled my pipe, gave the tobacco a light tamp, lit up and started smoking. The tobacco required no relights and smoked cool and dry to the end of the bowl. The chocolate/cocoa/marshmallow taste predominated for the first half of the pipe and that was enjoyable, although it definitely seems more suited to a relaxing smoke in front of a fire on a cold Winter day. The flavor was fairly strong, but it wasn't overwhelming or cloying. The hot chocolate taste was much less noticeable during the second half of the bowl and the grassy taste of the Virginias seemed to predominate with the burley more in the background. That was also quite pleasant and seemed more suited to my lawn mowing. I tried my second bowl of this a couple of days later inside my house and this experience matched the earlier one, except that I was able to appreciate the fantastic room note, which my wife quite enjoyed, as well. All in all, a quality aromatic and a decent smoke. However, I am going to set it aside until the weather turns cool again.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum corncob

Age When Smoked: One year

Purchased From: SmokingPipes.com

FreePancakesForAll Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FreePancakesForAll (3)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

Tin note: A mug of cocoa with lab-created marshmallows bobbing on the surface. And some figgy pudding.

Taste: This blend tastes almost exactly how it smells in the tin. I'd say the leading note of this is a fantastic burley, laying down the base of cocoa and nutty goodness. Then I pick up the cavendish adding that vanilla marshmallow highlight. And finally (and most welcomed), the virginias. They linger in the background and add a light sprinkling of figs that have been soaked overnight in a dark liqueur. They're somewhat fleeting in this blend for me, but when they hit, they hit beautifully.

Smokability: One of the easiest blends out there to smoke. Perfect moisture out of the tin and the cube cut packs beautifully. I just drop a few pinches in, tamp lightly, and light up. And for the worried, non-aros out there, this is not a goopy blend. It packs and smokes just like a regular burley blend.

This is a fantastic holiday release. Is it a one-note aromatic? Pretty much. But that note is a toasty mug of cocoa to fill your pipe on a cold winter night. My only gripe is that I start losing the secondary flavors half-way through and by the end feel like I'm smoking a bowl of Carter Hall (which isn't the worst thing). So my solution has been to pack smaller bowls and smoke it on shorter sessions.

Overall, a richly flavored, easy smoking holiday aromatic that tastes just how it smells.

Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Cornell & Diehl - Christmas Blend 2016 (Corn Cob and a Button Nose).

It's been said already, but the blends appearance is a little quirky! I'd describe it as a Micro Cube: it's an obvious cube-cut blend, but the cubes are tiny. The tin gives off a lovely aroma, one that's not just sweet. It smells a bit like Baileys Irish Cream liqueur.

On to the smoking: as the cubes are tiny getting a burn going's an easy job. And then, straight away, I notice the immense volume of smoke this produces; OPEN EVERY WINDOW IN THE HOUSE! Joking apart though, it gives a wonderfully flavoured smoke. I find the added tastes a little stronger than the other reviewers up to now do: chocolaty and creamy with a touch of eggnog. To be fair, more of the tobaccos' can be detected for the initial part of the bowl, especially the Virginia, but the casing gets stronger as the burn progresses. And whilst I'm on the subject of the burn, it's a very good one. Despite the fairly strong casing tongue bite needs a bit of imploring to occur; I smoked three bowls back-to-back this morning and didn't get bitten until halfway through my third.

I find the nicotine just above mild, yet not quite medium, and the room-note very pleasant.

I always look forward to the Christmas blends, my favourite to date being Peterson Holiday Season 2014. I couldn't have this one as a go-to blend, but I think it will make a perfect smoke for the Christmas period.

Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Peterson Harp #05

Purchased From: Smkingpipes.com

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (169)
Very Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Pleasant enough, but this didn't have enough of a Burley flavor to keep me interested. The topping has a very nice Christmas aroma and taste to it, very similar the Christmastime Yankee candles my wife buys. I would definitely recommend this to pipe smokers who smoke primarily aromatic blends, as this is quite nice in that regard. But for those like me, who want a nice aromatic flavor on top of a real tobacco flavor, I think you will be disappointed.

Pipe Used: Various briars and meers