The famous tobacco growing area of the Dutch East India Company has been Lumadjang to this day. The leaf of these tobaccos is so beautiful that it is still being used as cigar wrapper. They are light in colour, and in cut form are of great "light-handedness." The traditional name is "Voorogst." Vooroogst is a delicacy manufactured to the old Dutch recipe, that is being deliberately offered without any additional flavourings in order to preserve the unique tobacco flavour.

BrandPetersen & Sorensen
Blended ByPlanta
Manufactured ByPlanta Tabak Berlin
Blend TypeCigar Leaf Based
ContentsBurley, Java Leaf
Strength
Taste
Medium, Full
Tolerable, Strong
DenizBeck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DenizBeck (181)
Medium None Detected Full Strong

Inspired by the_german, I ordered a tin of this "old-fashioned tobacco blend"... what came was a pleasant surprise! I had some experience with Java-Leaf, and I liked it in blends like Hansa Krüll f.e. But when cracking the Vooroogst tin, I was sure this was somethig more refined than what I've known before!

50g of tobacco come in a 100g tin, due to its "lighthandedness" (it being so fluffy). Cracking the simple, yet classy and intriguing designed tin, underneath which is a wonderful cover-sheet, that explains the origins of this tobacco, I was enchanted!

A lovely scent flattered my nose...sweetish, cigarish, very natural tobacco aroma greeted me. Some spiciness, but mainly a wonderful cigar-ish aroma with some decent (honey-ish)sweetnessand some serious, almost buttery, creaminess to it. I'm no big cigar Aficionado, but I like some Cigar-Leaf in my pipe tobacco.

Comes pretty dry, but its said it's supposed to be smoked like that, and I like my tobacco on the dry side anyways, so perfectly conditioned right out of the tin!

First light immediatly hit me with some rich creaminess, almost like butter or whipped cream. Shortly after the cigar-ish Java-Leaf makes its presence known. Full-bodied, rich, but not overwhelming cigar-ish notes, of pepper, spices and pure tobacco goodness. The Burleys add some nuttiness to it, as well as some earth and in interplay with the honey-ish, creamy sweetness give an aroma of sweet, roasted nuts. Java-Leaf and Burley harmonize very well. Sweet nuts, creamy cigar, peppery, bold spice.

It's not very complex, but I knew that in forehand. But it's so damn creamy (can't mention that enough ;-P), and the sweet-nuttiness <-> spicy-cigar synergy creates a very pleasant smoke, that's unlike anything I've smoked. Way ahead of Hansa Krüll f.e., much more refined and more full-bodied.

A top-notch blend, and I like the idea that pipe smokers 80-100 years ago smoked the kind of tobaco, I have smoldering in my pipe right now. Can be an All-Day-Smoke if you like, but for me it's a neat little "after-dinner" smoke. Not because it's too strong - it's rather medium - but because of the intense aroma, the rich spice paired with the creaminess that underscores the whole experience.

Easily 4/4 stars and instant favorite of mine! Definetly worth trying for anyone, who likes a spicy, old-fashioned smoke. This may appeal to many kind of pipe smokers! Dark Fired Kentucky Aficionados, the English Lover, or anyone else, who likes cream and spice with some cigar-ish boldness.

Pipe Used: Clays, Cobs

Browsing a new-to-me online store, I came across this beauty. Made by German company Planta, under a Danish brand, offering a Dutch mixture. Weird enough for me, had to order a tin.

Opening which, the tin scent is of flowers and Turkish Delight, with a hint of spice in there. The leaf as such is a medium ribbon, coloured bright to medium brown. Moisture is on the lower end of what I am used to, so no drying time necessary.

Lights up well, maintenance is easy (just tamp down every now and then), and the flavour is sweet, spicy, and sports the occasional dry note of wood. There is a hint of Turkish Delight in there, too. I finish with very little dottle, a bright white ash, and no condensation at all. The room note is somewhat flowery, but has a bit of a good-cigar untertow to it.

I do need the occasional re-light, but apart from that I find this blend fascinating, unique, and well done. The aftertaste is mostly woodsy, with some sweetness lingering on. Don't let it burn too hot. A hot burn will get you a rather unwelcome note of cheap cigar. Keep it cool, and this is a wonderful smoke.

Addition, 2017-09-01: The more I get used to sipping this blend gently, the more enjoyment I get out of it. Up-rating to four stars, because if you apply yourself, this blend will apply itself, too. Not much in the way of variation, but great flavour throughout, with the spice coming through towards the later half.

Pipe Used: Big Ben Barbados, Woody Wood

Age When Smoked: Fresh from new tin

Purchased From: cigarworld.de

Similar Blends: Totally unique..