From P&C's website: On a shelf in a warehouse, a small quantity of special small-leaf tobaccos were found. When they were discovered, they were offered to Joe Lankford, the blender of the Seattle Pipe Club blends. Rather than coming up with a whole new blend, Joe took these rare tobaccos and substituted them for some of the Orientals in his very popular Plum Pudding. Plum Pudding Special Reserve is a limited release version of his bold Balkan cake in a 4 oz. plug, featuring these very rare sun-cured tobaccos.

BrandSeattle Pipe Club
Strength
Taste

3.9
JimInks (2094)

Though it is true that the smoky, woody, musty sweet Cyprian Latakia is the most important component, the other constituent tobaccos synergistically combine to form a cohesive, multi-dimensional flavor. The black stoved and red Virginias are also upgraded leaf especially for this Reserve blend. They offer earth and a little grass, fermented tangy ripe, stewed dark fruit and citrus with a light barbecue essence. The sun cured Orientals not present in the original Plum Pudding add a bit more sweetness, depth and dimension to the complexity. The dry, buttery sweet and sour, wood and smoke from the Orientals also sport a pinch of salt in the background, a little less so than they do in the other version due to the upgraded Turkish leaf. There is a continual undercurrent of spice, raisins and figs from the perique, though the spice is lightly more obvious. The unsweetened black cavendish provides a brown sugary smoothness in a small support role. The nicotine status is a shade closer to medium than it is to mild. The strength and taste positions are medium. It won’t bite, and any chance of harshness is tamed by the black cavendish. The pressed kake plug is easily broken apart. The tobacco is a little moist, but I did not feel the need to dry it. I recommend not totally rubbing it out. I broke off small pieces and dropped them into the bowl. It burns a bit slow, cool and clean with a very consistent and intricate, deeply rich and creamy smooth, smoky, woody sweet taste from start to finish. It requires some relights, and leaves just a little moisture in the bowl. It sports a very pleasant, lingering after taste with a stronger room note. It’s not quite an all day smoke, but is certainly repeatable.

Aside from the previously noted differences from the other Plum Pudding, PPSR is a little sweeter, deeper, smoother and richer in flavor, with nearly the same strength and taste levels. Its sweetness has a mildly more fermented character, and the “barbecue” note a tad more pronounced. Well balanced, you’ll notice virtually all of the inherent aspects of the tobaccos in every moment of the experience.

Aquinas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Aquinas (12)

OMG ! Just one big 4 oz hunk of flavor Hope nobody buys any of this because it is a limited quantity and I am fixin to stock up.

Pipe Used: 1962 Dunhill Shell

Age When Smoked: Freshly opened

Purchased From: P&C

Similar Blends: Plum Pudding.

HabaneroHardy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HabaneroHardy (33)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Unnoticeable

I just received this today and no time like the present. It is one solid black and brown block that smelled very earthy and somewhat spicy. I sliced some off with a razor blade, crumbled it and went to town. It is smooth, creamy and spicy and very well blended. The perique must have kicked in because my nostrils even tingled. I have never had the original Plum Pudding but I am definitely going to buy some of that also in the future. It is a tobacco that makes me wonder why am I smoking the other stuff with this around. Not an all day'er but top notch for me. While smoking this I felt like I should be on some British outpost in India a hundred years ago with the sun setting in the background, that exotic.

Pipe Used: PREBEN HOLM PRIVATE A101

tschenyinkoh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tschenyinkoh (51)

The smokey Latakia, earthy dark Virginia, sweet Black Cavendish, sour Oriental and spicy Perique warmly shine like one thing. Even though the base is Oriental and Virginia, all the ingredients come simultaneously. Crazily good.

Another tricky thing is how he deals with Latakia, as same as the way McClelland - Anniversary 1977-2017 deal with Latakia.

The plug is more like a crumble cake, easy to pack

Age When Smoked: nearly two monthes

Purchased From: pipesandcigars; tobaccopipes

tmick990 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tmick990 (3)

So when i got this in the mail the other day i was super excited to try it. I had heard and read such glowing reviews about this tobacco and really wanted to see what all the hype was about. Tin aesthetics- Let me just say the burgundy and bronze color scheme has always been very attractive to me so there doing good so far appealing to my shallow side. Tin Note- Wow. The musty, sweet, and personally intoxicating latakia shines through here and my mouth waters a bit. Packing the pipe- I've never had a tobacco that i've had to cut and then rub out and it was a gratifying experience. Something more personal about it. It rubs out easily into small chunks of varying size with some longer pieces here and there. Since it wasnt ribbon cut i was honestly worried that i was going to pack it wrong somehow. It filled easily and had a good draw on it with nothing getting in my mouth haha.

On to the important part, the smoke.

On the initial attempt of lighting i was having a very hard time getting this to stay lit, mostly my fault for trying to keep the flame on the match from getting too large. Thats what i needed though, more heat. Like more cow bell but less exciting. Once i got it lit to my liking i was greeted by the perique giving that slight tongue tingle and the latakias and orientals playing niceley together. The virginias seem to play the support role in this blend, almost as if any of the other tobaccos had any rough edges the virginas are there to smooth things out giving it a overly ripe dark fruit notes. The cavendish lending a sweetness that just tops it all off for me. Halfway through the bowl i needed another relight. I was impressed with how well this burned despite my lack of drying. Next time i will dry it maybe five minutes more. I think the total dry time i gave it was about three minutes this time. The tobacco seemed to burn very evenly and thoroughly this far. Halfway through the bowl i cant really tell what flavor is coming from where. Its smooth, smoky, just the right amount of spice and a smooth sweetness. The vitamin N is starting to become more apparent, filling me contentment and a little bit of head buzz. Not too much, for me its the perfect amount before i head off to bed. Well this glorious experience is coming to an end. It has smoked down to a white ash with a little gurgle in the begining but i think that has to do with this being the third bowl i've had out of this pipe, so not too shabby. Conclusion- This for me was a very good smoke, to be honest probably the best one i've had in a few months. A quality blend and it bears repeating. I dont know if this could be an all day smoke or not, but definitely more than once a day. i very much look forward to getting to know this blend better.

Pipe Used: Savinelli St Nicholas 2016

Similar Blends: Boswell Northwoods?.

Pryhosm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pryhosm (82)

This is a beautifully presented tobacco. A dark rich "brownie", dense and fragrant. The tin note is sour orientals and smoked Latakia in the background An exceptional Oriental forward blend. The Orientals are woody (cedar, white pine and Cyprus) they have a sour note that is more in the aroma but is also present in the smoke. The red Virginia's and I believe stoved Virginia's blend with the orientals to create a singular flavor that is quite amazing and a testament to the artistry of the blender. The sweetness and spicyness from the VA's support that woody orientals to create a fantastic flavor. This is one of a very few blends that seem to create ONE flavor as opposed to the teasing out of the individual tobacco's. I haven't mentioned the ever present Latakia and it is also expertly blended into this singular flavor, sweet and smokey Cyprian Latakia is right "behind" the Orientals but again, is really a singular flavor. I may sound as if the smoke is not complex, maybe it isn't, it doesn't seem to be the right word. The flavor is deep it deserves attention and is really a world class blend. The expert blending does seem to remove the need to search for nuance or hidden flavors (although I really can't detect the Perique but it may be there supporting the other flavor's, once again part of the artistry of this blend). This is a fantastic blend and one of my personal favorites. It barely resembles its namesake, Plum Pudding, as it to me seems far superior (and I like Plum Pudding). Get this while you can

Pipe Used: Briar's, Meerschaum's and Cob's

Age When Smoked: 1 year

gladi8tor96 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gladi8tor96 (128)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This was graciously gifted to me by a very amazing pipe maker (DragonBriars). It smelled amazing in the bag. It was a generous chunk off the main cake/plug. It seemed to be the perfect level of moisture. I could smell the latakia but also some spice from the orientals, plenty of wood and earth, and a hint of tang.

It was easy to rub out and load into my pipe. Two matches/lights is all it takes to get this one rolling and keep it going. I didn't have to relight once.

I'll state this upfront. This is a very good tobacco blend, but it seems too mild. I don't know how to describe it other than it left me wanting it to be more bold or rich, less soft and elusive. The flavors are more than well balanced and it reminded me of Margate or Penzance, but more subdued and reserved. It is very oriental forward though the latakia is present in the smoke and plays well off the oriental spice, sourness, and woody flavors. There is some sweetness to it, but very naturally light. The flavors are so good and compliment each other so well. With each puff I just kept on waiting for it to really 'open up', or deliver, and sadly it never did. I tried multiple pipes with the same result. Don't get me wrong, this is an amazing tobacco and I do recommend it. I'm still can't quite give it 4 stars, but it's more like a 3.5+ to me.

It reminded me of Neo in the movie 'The Matrix', when he is talking with the Oracle. He says, "I'm not The One...." and she responds with, "Sorry kid! You've got the gift, but it seems you are waiting on something.".

I'm going to try Plum Pudding soon so I can give a comparison between this blend and that one.

Pipe Used: Dragon Briar Poker, Sav. billard, Hawkbill

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Purchased From: Gifted

Similar Blends: Peter Stokkebye - English Oriental Supreme (No.306).

Planet Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Planet Scott (60)

Another well balanced blend. Has a combination of sweet, spicy, robust and smokiness, that as I mentioned is very well balanced. If you are into English blends, you should like this one. If you are not into English blends, you should try this one as the latakia there, but not in an overwhelming manner. I won't say this is a gateway English, but it would be a great introduction.