BrandCasey Jones
Taste

3.4
JimInks (2057)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

The Virginia is processed in the cavendish style, and offers a little grassy, honey and citrus. The mildly earthy, nutty, lightly molasses sweet burley plays back up. The unsweetened black cavendish provides a little brown sugar. The cherry topping and the less obvious vanilla sublimate the tobaccos a bit, though they do slightly weaken in the last quarter of the experience. Has little nicotine. Won’t bite or get harsh. The tobacco is a little moist, and burns cool and clean at a slightly less than moderate pace with a smooth, fairly consistent flavor. Leaves a little moisture in the bowl, and needs a few relights. Has a pleasant after taste, and is an all day smoke.

Rockst Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rockst (2)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Took a chance on this and was pleasantly surprised. No bite, very smooth and the room note was wonderful. Consistent to the bottom of the bowl and only had to relight once. Very nice aromatic at a terrific price. If you like cherry or are a beginner pipe smoker, this is a great one to have in your rotation.

Pipe Used: Hickory pipe by American Heritage Pipes

Age When Smoked: 56

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars.com

DC MacBean Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DC MacBean (26)

Lane LTD makes this so I was expecting a variation of Cherry Captain Black or Very Cherry but this is totally unique. The cherry is distinct yet subtle; not overwhelming. I'm usually compelled to add something to a cherry blend, either a Burley or a Black Cavendish but I would not change anything about this blend. I paid $5.49 for a 1.5 oz. pouch so it's a little more expensive than a comparable bulk blend but in this instant, it's worth it.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum Country Gentleman

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (298)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I really like these Green River Burley blends for puttering around the garage or other activities that allow a Black Cavendish blend to shine since anything else would require more attention and therefore possibly bite. Very high quality aromatic that's a real value in the 12 oz tin. Just like the other reviewer, i also taste cherry with that 1-Q vanilla / caramel sauce that works well here. The cut, quality and aroma all scream Lane Limited to me but it could also be Sutliff, either way it's a great alternative to Captain Black at a cheaper price and the tin looks amazing on my desk (anyone that's read my reviews knows I'm a sucker for back stories and colorful graphics) but this time the tobacco is actually very well done and a sweet treat to boot!

PhantomWolf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PhantomWolf (35)
Very Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

A terrific bag of smoke for the price

First of all, I can only get the hint of the Virginia on a retrohale with it's lite touches of grass. Still you'll know it's there because of the mouth-feel. For me straight Cavendish blends feel satin-like and at times like a smooth coating on the tongue. This is a balanced and enjoyable smoke. I don't taste the Burley over the Cav and toppings at all, though it does get a bit nutty and earthy in the last stretch when the topping weakens, which I find is a nice way to finish the bowl. Depending on how you smoke, the topping ranges from bright cherry to rich, dark cherry. The vanilla is only present as far as I could tell as a means of taming the cherry. Vanilla is also noticeable in the pouch-note( which I might add is amazing- deep, dark, and maddening with an almost caramel aroma under the cherry.) I swear I can taste the caramel towards the end of the bowl with the Burley. Also, using the 'breathe method' will yield more of the vanilla flavours.

The blend burns consistent and cool enough with only one relight, though my pouch is opened a couple weeks now, so a bit of the moisture has subsided.

This is a very forgiving, tasty, and affordable blend that I would recomend to any friend as a beginner blend. It is also good enough that a lover of Aromatics would do well to try out. It would make a great, cheap, all-day smoke.

I find myself often wishing this site used a 5 star system. Leave the ratings as are, but allowing for a 5th star denoting-'Masterpiece Blend Must Smoke' As is, I will give it a 3, though maybe 2 is more accurate as I'd only really recommend it to beginners, those who were already interested, and lovers of cherry blends.

Pipe Used: Cassilero Rustic 728