Apple Pipe Tobacco, a unique taste in smoking, is a superior blend of top quality... Burley and Virginia tobaccos flavored with the taste of apples. Apple tobacco brings to the pipe smoker the smoothness of fine tobaccos, the crisp taste of fresh apples and the refreshing aroma of both. Apples and tobacco, a natural combination.

BrandJohn Middleton, Inc

2.2
The Persian Slipper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Persian Slipper (29)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I'm going to say it: I like this tobacco. Admittedly, it's not the best of tobaccos, but's it a good budget 'baccy. You don't get a lot of apple flavor. But, if you sip it slowly, you get a little bit of sweet apple-ish flavor. It's a good burley, all-in-all. Worth keeping around, but not an everyday thing.

T. Ferguson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
T. Ferguson (9)
Very Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I'd like to play devil's advocate and come forward saying "I love this stuff"! The flavor is less fresh apple and more apple cider. My wife doesn't hate the smell, so that's a plus, and it makes this Kentucky humidity a bit more tolerable. I'd take this ANY day. I got zero nic hit off of this...the only downfall. It won't bite at even the most fervent provocation. All of this coming from the man who is swearing off aromatics...grain of salt, brethren. If anyone absolutely hates this blend, just get my address and I'll pay shipping.

Wildcat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wildcat (5)

I spent the last day of 2011 with Middleton's Apple. A terrific way to end an otherwise so-so year! A great all day smoke that I wish was available in 12 or 14 oz tins! Mild and pleasant, never bites. My son likes it too!

Bezoar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bezoar (14)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Great smell in pouch and in bowl. THe tobacco burned rather fast but did not cause tongue burn. Their was some nipping from the virginia, but nothing else.

This burned with EXTREMELY small amount of moisture in the pipe. THe moisture that did accumulate was extremely tasty wich is unusual for an aromatic.

The tobacco burned down very well into a blackened state that disentigrated instantly when touched. I ground it into the heel and the sides of the bowl with a matchstick and reserved a small amount of the ash in my palm while cleaning everything out of the heel. It coated the bowl so well it looked like a brand new grabow bowl. Good smell to bowl a few hours after smoking. And the pipe was dry a few hours later. SO i am keeping this.

Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This Middleton offering has been around for a long, long time. It is very typical of the "old fashioned" drug store blends in that it is crimp cut Burley with old American flavoring added in a way that makes its presence known, but still allows the smoker to taste "tobacco."

I have noticed over the years that many fellow tobaccoreviews.com smokers enjoy these bargain brands and I think that's neat. There is certainly a place for these simple, easy to smoke blends. I don't find Apple very often, but when I do, I purchase a pouch. This one smokes cool, dry and sweet. It a refreshing change of pace for occasional fun and nostalgia.

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Mild Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I can no longer remember with any certainty what the first tobacco I smoked was. But I do remember my grandmother's gardener (the first pipester I ever observed at close quarters) used to put an apple slice in his tobacco pouch?to keep the tobacco moist, I think. I vaguely remember looking through the selection in a department store's smoke shop, and choosing something with an apple on the cover for this reason. Was it this? I remember the apple as being grannie-Smith-green, not delicious red.

Perhaps I dreamt the whole thing. In my teens, my dreams were far more vivid than they are now.

This is the mildest kind of brown cavendish, with a light casing of something that tries to taste like apple. It would not offend a beginner. As a dime-store cavendish, it is far from the worst.

And just think, from this little acorn, a mighty oak can grow. And grow...and grow...

ruffinogold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ruffinogold (82)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable

What a shame . This blend will " funk " your bowl.Room note is'nt that great . It's strange how the cherry blend middleton makes is realy pretty good and this is not . This company make other classic American blends but this is'nt one of them .

BBlevins Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BBlevins (102)
Mild Mild to Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

It smells great in the pouch and that is where the pleasantness ends...abruptly.

Harsh, bitey and all around horrible. The room note is ok, but if you want something more than smoking a guest pleaser at the expense of your tongue, avoid it.

Nick O'Teen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nick O'Teen (90)

I've bought several pouches of this over the years, each time thinking that I must have missed something in the previous go around.

I didn't. This is hot burning, cheap fodder. No apple flavor. Another loser from John Middleton.

tommyboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tommyboy (5)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I would not recommend this one at all. Oh, it smells delicious in the package ... then light it! The "apple" taste is soon gone and your left with a scorched tongue and a soggy pipe. sorry, this is a cheap draw for new pipe smokers and I was one of them. If you want apple pie, take one from a window sill!!! tommyboy

Pkloop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pkloop (41)

This is an easy going Burley that has a slight taste of green apple upon the first 1/2 which turns into plain burley for the rest of the bowl. It has an agreeable room note which shouldn't offend anyone also. Packs easy and lights well and keeps lit with minimal effort. I actually really enjoy this blend and have a pipe dedicated to it! A distiction not many drug stores get! The apple flavoring will haunt a pipe and seems to get better if you dedicate said pipe to the tobacco. After running 3-4 pouches through it the pipe will get a nice cidery smell to it. This is a great summertime smoke to enjoy sitting by the pool drinking cold apple cider with it! Highly recommended!

pagansmurf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pagansmurf (8)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild Tolerable

This was the first pipe tobacco I ever bought. When I first saw a pouch of it I thought "hmm, I like apples why not?" when I first opened the pouch a distinct apple smell came out, I smiled. but when I first lit up, I gagged. I would have to say this is one of the most disgusting things I have ever smoked. If this was all there was to smoke, I would never smoke a pipe again. It makes me not want to smoke anything made by John Middleton again. I would suggest this swill only if your sadomasochistic.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)
Very Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

Another aromatic that has been around for a long time. In fact, the first pouch I tried may have been one of the first ever produced. It was so dry it was almost brittle.

I moistened it up a bit and tried it. Packed and lit well. No problen there. Burned easily.

I didn't really detect any flavoring. Quite bland.

I bought another pouch. Moisture was good this time. Still lacked flavor. Very mild, I even accidentally inhaled it, and almost didn't notice!

This is another of those tobaccos that, while it didn't do anything 'bad', it didn't do anything 'good' either.

Just not for me.

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (64)

Wow what a difference this time around. Its been seven years since i first tried this blend. I was placing an order at Pipesandcigars.com and decided to throw in two pouches. The guys over at Habana must have a new batch or Middleton changed the recipe as both pouches were moist and had an intense apple flavor as opposed to the original pouch i purchased years ago. I am very impressed with the new version! Glad i decided to try this old stand-by again.

Original review: 01/23/2004

Not a bad blend. That being said, it was not the dessert that i was craving. The pouch i got was rather dry. Apple is a clean burning and non biting blend. Tastes like apple cider but my taste buds like either top draw virginia, or sickingly aromatic cavendish. Two ends of the spectrum. Apple is neither.

Skilling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skilling (80)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Here's a golden oldie that I had forgotten about. I smoked this some 30 years ago.

It was light with no bite. Could become goopie if smoked too fast. Sour Apple at 1st light that changed to a cider taste as one continued.

Same catagory as the wine and whiskey blends.

I had my apple a day ...... years ago.

Henry Mars Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Henry Mars (18)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Well if you are just looking for a nicotine fix this may just do the job. If you are looking for any kind of flavor forget it. Even the burly flavor is lacking. It doesn't bite but there is little of anything here to talk about other than it is a cheap OTC blend that may rope in the naive, inexperienced smoker. I have been experimenting with OTC tobaccos over the last year and this one is better than Mixture #79 ... the best I can say. I prefer Granger and CH to this stuff. That said, I don't believe that Middleton dumped Hickory and kept Apple. Hickory was far better than this swill. There is some sweet chemical background taste to Apple but it ain't Apples and it ain't Burly .. The chemists at Middleton must have been very busy on this one. Purchase at your own risk. You have been warned!

xnihilo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
xnihilo (3)
Mild to Medium Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

What happened? This was the tobacco my dad caught me with when I was a teenager about 1980. I remember it having a smooth, distinct apple flavor that I enjoyed late at night sitting on the roof watching the night sky go by. Fast-forward 30+ years and I order a coupla pouches awaiting wonderful memories. When it arrived I couldn't wait to tear into the package and savor good times past. What a let down. Smell and texture was not what I remembered. Carefully loaded my custom Armentrout--still with hope--and again...flat. Almost no flavoring I could tell other than chemical. Disappointed for sure.

Durham270 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Durham270 (3)

Each time I go into my local B&M I've seen this sitting on a shelf covered in dust and started feeling sorry for it looking all lonesome! I bought a pouch and brought it home. Upon opening the pouch I can detect a very mild tobacco Burley scent along with a faint apple present. The pouch I have is very dry tobacco. NO moistness can be detected which makes me wonder how long it had been sitting on that shelf. I'm smoking it now in a Great Dane Cob and I have to say I like it! It has a nice Burley taste for Burley lovers along with a very faint apple taste in the background. The sweetness of this tobacco lingers on and is very mild and would make a great tobacco for the beginner pipe smoker. This wont be my regular tobacco but I know I will come back to this whenever I want to relax with something sweet and a nice glass of whiskey. Give it a try!

musicman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
musicman (81)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

This tobacco is almost a perfect blend. This stuff burns great, has a good room note, wont gunk up your pipe, lights really easily, and has no tongue bite whatsoever. There is only one one drawback to this tobacco. There is absolutely no flavor. When I smoke this I can picture a little old lady in a black dress yelling "where's the taste!".

Apple? I certainly don't think so, I really looked for it too. Some people have mentioned a cider flavor but damned if I tasted anything remotely related to apples.

Once again, the overall characteristics of this tobacco are great, it just doesn't taste like anything.

unixhelp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
unixhelp (7)

My dad smoked this and it makes me feel warm and fuzzy...nostalgia? But all the same, for an inexpensive brand and worth a try in a cob.

manxman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
manxman (12)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I had no trouble keeping this lit, but I tamp as I go along. I smoke it in a Missouri Meerschaum Hardwood, using a Dr Grabow filter cut in half. I change the filter every 2-3 bowls to keep things fresh. The smoke is mild enough for a Newbie. Also mild enough to indulge my habit of exhaling the smoke from my mouth,then whiffing it into my nose. Mild enough for an 'all day' smoke, although some may think it too boring. Of course, at this level of mildness, I experienced no tongue bite. I found myself hoping for more apple flavor. To me it doesn't taste like apple fruit, but it does smell like applewood smoked bacon. I'd recommend everyone try it once to see if it is to your liking. I did not find that it gooped up my pipe, it left a nice dry ash behind. I also had no problems with tongue bite. I hope to order some Apple from Boswell's and revisit this review later. For the 'drugstore' tobacco that it is; 3 stars. At $5.59 a pouch here in Connecticut, it's more than two bucks less than most other OTC pouch brands, a bargain. For that reason, go ahead and dump the bowl when you're 3/4 finished. It will stay lit right to the bottom, but the last 1/4 isn't pleasant.

Earl Grey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Earl Grey (15)

This is one of the first tobaccos I tried as a newbie. I like this stuff. I still get a pouch now and then. The apple taste is not strong, but it's noticeable enough. As others said, it will ghost a pipe. I will smoke this stuff in one of my cobs from now on. It polluted hell out of one of my briars and took a week of intense burley puffing to recover it.

The Layman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Layman (9)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

You know, when I was a young lad, this tobacco is actually the first encounter I ever had with the world of pipe tobacco. My school Principal used to always smoke this and I absolutely loved the smell. Now it's almost 50 years later and I've grown to be a pipe fanatic of my own. That being said, now that I'm old enough to know better, I would have to say that no sir...I really can't recommend this. Yes it's a cheap tobacco, and if you are on an extremely low budget, this can get you by in a pinch, but seriously? If you can spring for better, I honestly can't see carrying this around when you can get something that is so much more enjoyable. I do love a good burley, but this really doesn't quite nail it. The pouch aroma is decent, but that is pretty much all I can say for this tobacco. The "Apple" flavoring is really non existent, which is supposedly the main feature of this tobacco as represented by it's packaging. The moral of this story is that for the money, there are really better tobaccos to be had out there. There are some companies that make their own burley blends ::cough:::Uhles:::cough::: that are absolutely worth spending the extra dime on. When you go outdoors on that fishing trip or just to soak in the environment, bring something worth-while to smoke on. It makes all the difference in the world.

TobaccoMan2012 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TobaccoMan2012 (28)

I always keep about four different pipe tobbaco's on hand, and this is one of them. You would love it if you are into burleys, because you can definately taste it in this blend. This one does not have much of a bite in my opinion. You can somewhat taste the apple in it. It is not too strong for me, and probably not too strong for anyone who enjoys a pipe. I would personally recommend this one!

wosbald Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wosbald (111)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The pouch aroma of this crimp-cut mixture is gently grassy, lacking earthiness. The topping is gently sweet, evoking the scent of a delicate apple jelly.

Composed of light and brown burleys along with a touch of small-flake, sweetened red virginias. The topping is amiable and gentle, enhancing, rather than intruding upon, the base leaf.

Noting both the effect of the topping and the, seemingly, slight difference in composition, the overall effect of Apple is somewhat similar to the lilting Carter Hall, though with a presence that the latter seems to lack. It is innocuous, insignificant, and cheerfully tasty.

Chamber Gauge: Medium to Wide

Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

Everyone always remembers their first and Apple was mine. While not very much of a blend, this was in my pipe while sitting on the beautiful Maine coast when it became clear to me that pipe smoking was going to be part of my future. As a couple of folks have mentioned, I don't detect much apple flavor in this blend, but my personal history with Apple makes it somewhat recommended.

Taylor3006 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taylor3006 (47)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I waited until I purchased a second pouch of this from a different supplier just to make sure I was doing this tobacco justice. There is a FAINT odor of apples in the pouches I sampled. Had no trouble getting it lit or keeping it lit in my MM cob, both my pouches seemed a bit on the dry side. I could detect a very very faint hint of apples during smoking, I was hoping for so much more after reading the reviews here. The tobacco itself is quite strong, I would not recommend this to a novice smoker unless they like a harsh smoke. Noticeable tongue bite even with sipping. Not happy with this as a flavored tobacco, probably a decent smoke for those who like Half & Half or Carter Hall, or the like. I really really wanted some apple in this to use for blending purposes but will keep looking. I will buy ONE more pouch of Apple hoping that the two I have tried were old only because it is so inexpensive. After that I am done with this blend.

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (141)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

Once upon a time, I loved this stuff. It was readily available where I live (you could pick it up from Kroger, even) and was a very pleasant, non-biting aromatic. The last couple of pouches I've tried however, were harsh and even painful to smoke. I was quite disappointed, and I'm not keeping my eye out for an apple-flavored aromatic for when the right mood hits.

MrBrandyBuck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MrBrandyBuck (6)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

This tobacco smells great in the pouch. However the smell of the smoke did not smell like apples and it didn't taste much like apples either. The smoke doesn't have much of a taste. It burns rather cool for an aromatic and I did not have any problems with gurgling. If given this tobacco I would take it however I doubt I'll be buying it again. Just a cool mild smoke, not much flavor.

chetking Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chetking (54)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

An under rated, unsung and popularly available supermarket and drug store staple through and through. My tobbaconist also stocks it; some serious connoisseurs must find something worthwhile. For those smokers who crave a mild, fruity round in their rotation Middleton's Apple may be "The One."

No question this tobac (mine appeared to be a cube cut and ribbon combo) smokes much better in the cob. I'll sometimes take a pouch of this and a Great Dane bent cob fishing, hunting or for hikes in the country. Minimal bite...sometimes problematical staying lit, but I haven't detected the bitterness and goop some reviewers have claimed. Just sip ...don't steam engine it.

These days you can't beat the price. In upstate NY $4.95 for 1.5 Oz. of tobac like this is sort of a deal now. Middleton has improved the flavour in the last few pouches I've tried. My biggest complaint is a bit more apple casing please. Hope Apple stays around a long, long time. Happy hunting.

ELF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ELF (35)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

...As the old saying goes'You get what you pay for'...Almost as cheap as a can of soda pop.Soda pop lasts 5mins,a pouch of this 5days.Find it smokes best in one of my old-forgiving-Cobs.Lots of casing flavor;ok smoke....Loads of compliments on aroma. :+)

Shawn_M Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Shawn_M (43)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Very Pleasant

Smells great when the pouch is opened, but I have found it will bite if not smoked slowly. It also burns wet and I suggest smoking it in a corncob as it will leave a residue behind. I tried smoking it in a clay and after going through a pouch, I had to place the pipe in the embers of a fireplace to clean it up.

dt753 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dt753 (12)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

This is one of the few things I remember my father smoking, usually when camping or fishing. When I spotted a pouch on the shelf of my local discount tobacco store, I had to give it a try.

A very basic tobacco whose cut, color, and moisture content is typical of the famous drug store blends like Carter Hall and Prince Albert. The pouch aroma is of apples, and actually reminds me faintly of an apple cased version of Carter Hall.

Upon lighting, the apple scent is noticable, but fades as you work your way through a bowl, and ends up reminding me more of apple cider. Beware: if smoked fast, it will bite. I took my time with this blend, and found it to be acceptable for what it is....an apple flavored drug store pipe tobacco.

Another of Middleton's old time aromatics.

This stuff used to be in every grocery store, drug, store and bait shop when I was a child. It is now long gone.

It is a decent tobacco with a pleasant aroma, suitable for when you want to smoke around non smokers, or if the idea of apple flavored tobacco appeals to you.

Like the other Middleton aromatics, the flavoring is very mild it won't goop your pipe up, or nip your tongue as long as you go slow.

It's best in a cob. It isn't a great blast of flavor, but it isn't meant to be. Just a pleasant, cheap smoke.

Loboatomy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Loboatomy (36)

Mild, easy and cheap. I like this tobacco and always have a few pouches stashed around with my other drugstore "dailys". I have noticed a pouch to pouch discrepancy in quality and strength of flavoring, though, it seems as if about 20% of pouches have little or no casing on them. Generally, this is good out of a cob (I have one cob, a "natural" which I christened by saturating with a mixture of Applejack and a few dabs of ash and honey to build some cake that I ONLY smoke this blend out of...it's wonderful) or billiard. For about $2.50 a pouch, you really can't beat it. It's smooth when smoked low and slow in the manner demanded by such simple burleys, but if you have an open mind about tobacco and are willing to enjoy such a treat, by all means do.

Darth 69 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth 69 (73)

A golden brown blend of burleys and virginias with a mild, yet assertive tangy apple pouch bouquet. The moisture level is just right, soft to the touch but not overly moist like a generic cavendish. The burning aroma is mild and round from it's light sweetness with a fainter trace of that apple tanginess. The smoke on the pallette is likewise mild and round in flavor. This isn't an "in your face" aromatic cavendish, pleasingly so. This actually has some body to it, courtesy of the virginas I think, and found this to be a satifying smoke that I will enjoy finishing off the last pouch, perhaps purchase more. Yes, I liked it that much and is a nice change of pace from stronger, sweetish virginia based blends. Middleton got this one right in my opinion and consider it a superior domestic "drugstore" tobacco. It is far better than the connotation by that epithet suggests. I would rather smoke this than many so called premium blend in a can. This is specifically recommended as a better alternative to any smoking more staight forward cased burley/virginia blends like Half & Half.

Recommended!

BEN Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BEN (58)

Dried apple flavored straw burning hot and nasty in the bowl of ones pipe...if this is what you desire,buy a pouch of this and experience true disgust! Appalingly awful at all levels!!

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (140)
Mild Strong Medium to Full Very Strong

Awful, horrible and hotter than the surface of the sun. In the pouch it smelled a bit like apples but once lit, it smelled medicinal and tasted like the worst cough syrup I ever had as a child. I have tried many, many tobaccos and I can honestly say this is the worst one I have ever put a match to.

Mild Medium Very Mild Pleasant

One of the two worst tobaccos I ever tried. I wanted to like it because I like apples, but there's no apple taste here. It burns hot, scorches the tongue and is best used on your enemies.

Tom Bombadill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Bombadill (82)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Unnoticeable

This is a good smoke for someone starting out and it's especially good for someone who doesn't like apples because THERE WAS NO APPLE FLAVOR DETECTED.

I've been smoking two years now and have been enjoying really fine blends form tobacconists and the famous blend houses. I happened to be in tax free New Hampshire USA and saw a pouch of this apple blend and decided to give it a try even though it is a "drug store" blend.

It smells fruity in the bag. What sweetness there is comes from the burley. Now that I think of it not too bad of an over the counter burley blend. As mentioned: No apple flavor detected. WEIRD.

Worth a try for a newbie.

rocket_man77 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rocket_man77 (10)
Very Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

Laid hands on a pouch of the stuff looking for something to clear my pallet. Haven't had any in 10 years at least and it was a poor experience then. In fact I think I tossed the pouch before the half way point. Experience has taught me how to look for the components of tobacco and now later it's a sufficient and nice diversion from my usual English. I would not recommend as a first time smoke, it can run hot and you need a pipe to sacrifice too as it will choke up yours with byproduct and casing. I find it runs a little wet and snuffs itself just as it's getting a nice apple head on it. Then again my sacrificial smoker is a little narrow gauged and may contribute. Give it a try sometime, it's been around for my whole lifetime so it's got to have something right?

This is a decent drugstore burley tobacco pouch; this is the same burley as Carter Hall with some apple flavoring added.

Overall, this tobacco is not so bad for a clean aromatic burley but also nothing fantastic to be expected here, 1 pouch is just good for a trial, especially for a new smoker, no tongue bite is guarante.

Mild Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Burley and cider. Nice, simple smoke, of a typical burley nature: some nuttiness with an almost naive touch, somewhat enhanced by the cider (rather than straight apple) flavor. Not a bad option when there is nothing else to smoke, but, in my opinion, not exactly a first choice tobacco. I much prefer, within this range, Prince Albert.

rhapsodyofmetal Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rhapsodyofmetal (42)
Mild Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

When opening this package I was overwhelmed by a great apple-caramel smell. The first light was very smokey and ash smelling. After the initial light I was welcomed with an amazing taste of Apple. It is great! The ash is very dry and not as wet as described as other reviewers have said. 4 stars

UPDATE**

I must down grade this baccy one star. It is very good but it always seem to make me sick. Not a nicotine high as some have suggested(I have sampled nightcap,I know what nicotine can do!) It makes me sick and has the same stomach churn as when you drink to much soda on an empty stomach.

porterman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
porterman (4)
Medium Mild Mild Unnoticeable

This was the first Bowl of Tobacco I ever smoked, lifted from my Uncle when I was about 15. I purchased a pouch recently just for nostalgia. I remember seeing this stuff everywhere when I was a kid...but now couldn't find it, ordered a pouch on-line. I must admit I love the smell of this in the Pouch, clean crisp VA/BUR tobacco with a slight sweet/sour apple topping. Loaded up my cob, and fired it up....topping barely there...smoked like a slightly low quality, slightly hot, slightly dry Burley with some VA and apple topping (gee thats what it is). Not the best smoke in the world, but not the worst. Would like to get more apple flavor to live up to the pouch aroma.

Wriggles Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wriggles (44)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I used to smoke Apple regularly back in the seventies. Very difficult to find in my area now. However, recently bought a pouch while visiting.

Very good occasional smoke. Pretty much the same flavor as years ago. Take care to use a cob or cheap briar as the apple flavor and aroma will linger in the pipe for a long time.

Packs well, stays lit. A flavorful taste and aroma. However, not an all day smoke. Recommended as a very nice change of pace. Will buy if available.

I finally found some of this on a trip to Idaho. No telling how old the pouch was it seems quite dry. Mostly Burley with some Virginia (?) added for a little sharpness. Smells good, tastes like apple and smokes quite slowly for a pouch tobacco. Go easy for best results. A good once in a while tobacco. A very good blend when compared with its' competitors at the drug store. Quite satisfying as well.

DUPE.1512 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Another of Middleton's simple tobacco's that's a pleasent cheap smoke in a cob. Has a great aroma and like other Middleton products, burns clean and won't goop up your pipe. No tongue bite, as long as you sip slowly. Good for smoking while working or puttering outside.

pipesmokenyc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipesmokenyc (2)
Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

This tobacco has a special place in my heart as it was the first pipe tobacco I ever tasted, 30 years ago. I was 14 at the time. A friend of my parent smoked this tobacco and I found myself alone in his home one day, "borrowing" the use of one his many pipes. Fumbling with the dime store packaging, I managed to light up a bowl of this stuff and it was a great first pipe experience for me.

In hindsight, I realize it is a rather simple blend with a very nice room note, despite the fact that it has little else going on.

Call me nostalgic, but I like to keep some of this tobacco around to blend with other tobaccos. It adds a nice room note to some of my less spouse-friendly tobaccos without adding the goopy consistency so common in cased aromatics.

pop-pop's pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pop-pop's pipe (96)
Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

A burley and virginia blend with apple flavoring. The quality of the tobacco itself is ok. Not great, but ok. The casing tends to make it a hot smoke. Use a corncob or a light sandblast briar for this blend. It's got a good nicotine kick however and a nice aroma. Passed the wife test.

Briarabbit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briarabbit (116)

This was one of my Uncle Bob's favorite tobacco's. I can still remember sitting there in front of the fire place smelling the Apple blend he was smoking. By no means is this a big favorite of mine but it is more of a memory trip when I smoke it. The blend is composed of fairly good burley,and some middle of the road Virginia bits mixed in to this cube cut mixture. The Apple flovouring is not overwhelming,and I think it tatses good.