Toasted Burley tobacco complemented with a hint of hazelnut for a rich rounded flavour

BrandImperial Tobacco Group, PLC
Taste
2.0
albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (163)

This is a reasonable, easy to find, Dark Cavendish Mixture. It haves a Good, different, Pecan Nut flavour. It is sweet, no residual bitter taste. For me,is the best between the Amphora`s Blends.

Vovinam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Vovinam (19)
Medium Very Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Despite I prefer the Original Blend I really recommend this one, for newbee pipe smokers in particular. Smooth, fragrant, simple and round, classical adjective for a classical tobacco: straight in taste, not much "addicted" with aromatized crap, but in the same time appreciable for the natural sweet taste. Sure there's some hazelnut aroma, but it isn't the sweet icecream hazelnut taste, is instead a natural dried fruit hazelnut taste that enhance the kentucky presence. An all day tobacco type, perfect with any type of pipe. In the beginning need some control for the charge and the lighting, but it's part of the game, and this can be, maybe, another "training" reason for I recommend this tobacco to a fresh new pipe smoker.

Type: Natural aromatic burley mixture ; Contents: Burley, Kentucky, Oriental & Virginia ; Flavoring: Hazelnut (very mild taste) ; Cut: Ribbon / Flake ready rubbed ; Humidity: Pretty moist and slow burning; Lighting: I say normal and constant burning but need some practice in the first time ; Pipe recommended: All kind are fine, but obviously for a full burley mixture experience a large bowl is mandatory, better with a chubby type. For some strange reason the meerschaum experience is not good as I expected for burley mix.

ottokir Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ottokir (1)
Mild Mild to Medium Full Pleasant

I used to mix the Amphora green with Borkum Riff Cherry then let it dry out a bit, it was my tobacco since the 80's till about 5?or more years ago. When I could no longer purchase the tobacco I quit smoking. Most people loved the aroma and the taste was of chocolate, hazelnuts and cherries. I generally smoked it in a bent pipe. Can no longer find the green and I noticed that Douve Egberts sold it to Imperial. Where I live in Canada tobacco costs over $20.00 a pouch so even now I seldom smoke. I have just bought Borkum Riff mixture with Cherry Cavendish which is OK so far but i miss the hints of chocolate and hazelnuts. We'll see how it goes.

Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant

I'd rather give this one and half stars only because I reserve one star reviews for atrocities like Middletons' Cherry or their Apple blends, which are little more than floor sweepings cased in bland sweeteners. This blend at least was made with a decent quality of tobacco, but that about all I can say about it. It really doesn't deserve a two star rating, but again, I have to distinguish it from the truly awful stuff. I hardly taste the Hazelnut and the rum must have evaporated before the pouch was sealed. It has the very slightest hint of cocoa. Nuts and beans? Uhhh.... I think not. It is kind of sweet, as it should be, but it's incredibly unremarkable. Dull. Dull, dull, dull. Dull.

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (106)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

This blend seemed to be a compromise between the red label full aroma and the brown label regular blends. As a result, it was sort of a "neither fish nor fowl" type of baccy. However, it was a satifisfying smoke and if it were still available in the U.S. I would stock up on it.

TEO Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TEO (25)
Mild Mild Very Mild Tolerable

Here I go with my first ever review on the site, cheers to you all pipe smokers and much respect...now let's go:

when I first read the reviews on this amphora aromatic, after buying a rainy- sunday last pouch left at the tobacconist I feared it maybe the worst Amphora Blends out for sale in Italy...Once I had some Amphora Original as a gift from a friend but never tried this one...I have to say it's a very mild tobacco, intended maybe to be mild on all of the characteristics it may display..Mild strenght indeed, very mild flavoring, some nutty-chocolatey scents and nothing more( but very light chocolatey flavor). Kentucky here seems to disappear in a nearly straight classic burley blend, nothing special...some Skandinavik mildly aromatic blend along with Park lane Nr 7 & basic Burley Blends seems to be more interesting than this Amphora title, without naming any celebrated classic...no heavy topping, no heavy nicotine punch but, and that's good news, no sensible bite at all, even if you puff hard. The pouch came home with just the right humidity and reveals no particular flavor when opened. The cut makes it easy to "plug and smoke", and it seems to be a loose cut with some ready rubbed stuff. There's anyway more and more better blends to be savoured out there...

Review, revisited, after some bowls:

I'm afraid to say that, unusually I even have to be more nasty on this product...the flavor doesn't really come out, not even in medium bowls (I'll try some large bowls)

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)

The picture of the pouch is not the right one.

The pouch is exactly the same as the red one, but dark green.

I did not enjoy this offering. There was a harshness to it and the casing was noy exactly an enjoyable smell...

Mild Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Back in the D&E era, I smoked many pouches and bulk cans of this blend and it was my preference among their offered colors. However, that was before my exposure to true flakes as VAs and VApers that I presently prefer and also before Imperial took over and stopped sales in the USA. That really forced me to explore other options and broaden my experiments with other blends. Not a good enough tobacfco to go thru the hassle and expense of obtaining from overseas.

Old Northern Smoky Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old Northern Smoky (33)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Another blend licensed by Van Nelle of Holland.

A nice try but falls short of the red pouch Full Aroma. I can't put my finger on how to describe the aroma in the pouch but it does smell refreshing.

Predominantly partially rubbed-out burley with specs of what appears to be oriental, it is sufficiently moist in the pouch but barely so. Once removed from the pouch to a jar suffice it to say that a humi-disc would be in order.

Since this is long and coarse packing a bowl can be tricky. I first tried this as-is in a small bowl meer-lined Butz Choquin....big mistake! Though it lights easily and stays lit, burns a bit hot but to the bottom, the smoke quickly hits the tongue with a biting, acidic punch. This is better rubbed-out some more and packed in a larger bowl...preferably a pipe with filter which reduces that nasty bite somewhat.

I could not taste any hazelnut........until I took a sip of coffee, and aaaahhh....the hazelnut comes to the surface of the palate.

Rich Aroma fails to describe the room note which seems to me to be simply an aroma of tobacco smoke.....not annoying but certainly not what I would call a rich aroma.

After shredding a bowl-full of this by hand and loading my Brigham Algonquin Volcano, it was a better smoke, but certainly not an all-day one.

I have found that mixing this with Original blend 50/50 makes for an enjoyable relaxing, unhurried smoke.

I can only give this 2 stars. Beginners should avoid this. Go for the red pouch Full Aroma or the Original Blend. Skip this unless you plan to mix it with something to tame that burley. Personally, I'll keep the rest and do some experimentation with custom blending this stuff until I come up with something I could give more praise.......on its own, its not worth the $$$.

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (155)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

The first time in my life I tried Rich Aroma (the green one) was about five years ago, approximately right after the Amphora line went into the Imperial Tobacco Group.

It was not a nice experience... Amphora Green was so mild, bitey, and the distinctive hazelnut flavour just so faint that I could hardly notice. In short: hot air.

I don't know why I have been tempted to try it again, maybe simply the green pouch called me (and the brown, too...). But I have to say it's not as bad as I remembered.

It is a light brown Burley-based typical dutch cavendish; mild in strength, the aroma is monochromaticly nutty/sweet and just a bit salty, never cloying; gives it best in medium-large bores, the slowest draw will avoid it turns bitter or acidic or... dull.

Amphora Green is nothing to write home, but honest and well behaved. Something worth to smoke once in a while just as a temporary passage into the mild-aromatics.

viscfab Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
viscfab (81)

The worse of Amphora blends for me. Dull. Had a strange slight menthol feel to it... Did not enjoy.

pop-pop's pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pop-pop's pipe (96)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

I would smoke this if I couldn't get the red. Nutty and rich this blend is. A change of pace from the red or brown blends.

Guyrox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Guyrox (131)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Ah, well, can't ask too much of a commercial drugstore tobacco...

The bakkie is nice, rather large broken flake, aroma rather flowerly with a hint of sweetness.

Smoking makes you puff harder and harder in order to try to get some real taste and nicotine kick to keep you happy. The taste is not bad, though, in terms of flavours. Mainly nutty, and people like the aroma.

If you are a beginner, this one could do the job for you, but the casing could be a bit overwhelming at first. But it doesn't smoke wet and doesn't require relight after relight, at the condition that you let it dry out for a reasonnable amount of time.

Mild Medium Medium Tolerable

Not the best tobacco made by Amphora, that's for sure...too bland and flavourless, it can give some satisfaction when mixed with a whisky aromatic blend.

Mild to Medium Very Strong Overwhelming Pleasant

Even under the D&E period, this Amphora had a bloated, overwhelming taste of caramel, chocolate and vanilla!. If your thing is aromatic tobacco, this should be close to paradise. The newer Imperial Tobacco version is not exactly better. It is not as refined as the older version and the sauce used to sweeten the tobacco is not as exquisite. Basically an extremely sweet Cavendish, with a bitter undertone, that will linger in your pipe (and your palate), long after you've smoked it, so be careful.

Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

What a boring tobacco! An usual cavendish-burley-oriental with a nicely sweet room aroma and almost no taste! Hazelnut flavor? Where?!? A blend that doesn't fall in the "unsmokable" category, but in the "why should I smoke this stuff" one. It's a decently behaved, not goopy and not overly cased aromatic, but if you add the blandness and the fact that it is like hundreds of other equally boring cavendish drugstore blends to the slight tongue burn it gives, why should you be tempted to smoke this stuff?

Gae Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gae (46)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Very Strong

'Well' I tried this in 3 different pipe's,it light's easily & puff's along very nicely.But all I could think of was a menthol feel to the tongue.Maybe it was me??? I'm not saying it's bad, but I do think you need to have an acquired taste for it.It leaves a nice clean ash at the bottom of the bowl & I prefered the taste half way through.I know of a gentleman who has smoked nothing but this, since it was first released. In it's class I'll give 2 out of 4 star's.