Rich, ripe red and sweet golden Virginia tobaccos are generously spiced with fine, fragrant Orientals and enhanced with a delicate touch of Perique for a bit of added depth and complexity. The leaf is carefully layered and pressed for a fortnight into large cakes, which are then cut into bars and tinned, ready to be sliced and rubbed out as desired for your ultimate smoking pleasure.

Notes: Released 7/12/2016

Packaging2.0 Tin
Strength
Taste

3.2

The earthy, tangy, dark fruit sweet red Virginia also has a touch of spice, and takes a lead over the other components, though not by much. The grassy, citrusy gold Virginia is in a supporting role. They have a light fermented taste, too. The Orientals offer smoke, wood, a little sweetness with a hint of sour and spice as they comprise an important part of the taste. The raisin and peppery perique is a very minor player, not always obvious to your taste buds, but you’ll occasionally sense its presence to one extent or another. The nic-hit is close to being medium. The strength is medium, and taste of the blend is just past medium. Won’t bite even when pushed, and has no dull, harsh or weak spots. The plug is mildly moist thick and a bit dense, but is easy to break apart to suit your packing preference. Because the plug is made of whole leaf, expect some veins in the tobacco as you prepare it. Moderately complex, and well balanced with body and depth, you notice most every aspect of the tobaccos in every puff. Burns a little slow, cool, clean and smooth from start to finish. Easily burns to ash with fewer relights than expected. Has a very pleasant woody sweet and sour after taste, and leaves little moisture in the bowl. The room note is pleasant. Not quite an all day smoke, but it certainly repeatable.

J.R. Patton Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
J.R. Patton (71)

I just couldn't wait to try the latest GL Pease duo. After a week of impatient monitoring of package tracking that was showing no progress, I was totally stoked to find it in the mailbox on return from work today. Immediately opened the can, cut off 3 good slices to dry, rubbed it out and loaded a big ole cob. So here goes first impressions.

In the can, my first thought was this smells a great deal like Triple Play. Not surprising, considering the VA and perique ingredients. It's earthy and boggy, a tad sour, but there's another aroma here I can only describe as similar to fermented fruit or red wine. On first light, I'm not taken aback by noteworthy flavor. The VAs are deep, tangy and sweet, and right up front. I can hardly detect the perique, I think because it's only a seasoning that adds depth to the VA. It's prominent enough to notice, for sure, apparent in the muted spiciness and nasal pinch. The orientals are heartily flavorful and available, and really, this is why I came to Temple Bar. Generous sour note that waxes and wanes throughout. It's in the second quarter to third that the depth of this plug shows itself, and it just keeps getting deeper and more flavorful as the bowl progresses. Tempo has to be moderated somewhat...I found myself pushing it pretty hard a couple times (the eagerness of new discovery), and it can get a little harsh/foul. Back off a minute and it will correct itself.

It's really a unique blend, especially to find in plug form. I'm a sucker for old-fashioned, unflavored plugs. The absence of latakia allows the aromatic spice of these orientals to shine. There's no shortage of flavor or taste evolution, and I think smoking it in the deep bore General cob does it justice in that department. More experimentation will ensue. Right now I give it a grounded 3-3.5 stars. As I play with and learn this one more, it's possible I may upgrade to 4. I'd wager this will be incredible after a year in the cellar. No disappointment here, just another fantastic Pease blend you need to try.

Pipe Used: MM General

Age When Smoked: Tin dated 6/7/16

My first tin of Temple Bar contained a nice sized piece of cake (2X2 by 1 inch tall) with a small amount of shake. It was modestly moist, but not overly so. There isn’t any mention of any topping, but both my wife (a pipe smoker too) and I detect some sort of spirits added to this blend. Maybe it has something to do with fermentation, but the level of sweetness in the smoke leads me to think otherwise. It is easy to break apart with a knife and TB contains large pieces of leaf. I mainly smoked this tin by cutting a bunch of small pieces with some rubbed out on top. A lighter pack seemed to offer the best results. As I mentioned, TB is pretty sweet in a very good way. It is somewhat complex and the flavor is pretty deep although I would put it just a notch above medium. The Virginias are well done and for me I taste a little more red than bright. True to the description, the Perique has been lightly added and it adds a little fruit and pepper to the smoke. The Orientals are in a supporting role and like other reviews, there is a bit of “wood” flavor to them. TB offers up a consistent sweetness throughout the smoke. Temple Bar doesn’t bite, nor does it burn warm. When it comes to Virginia or VaPer blends, I tend to smoke them mainly well aged. It will be hard to keep my hands off of this one for a while as I expect this to age really well. Three and a half stars, soon to be four.

Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (144)

Temple Bar presents as a square plug of medium to light browns. Tin note features fresh cut hay, oats, very mild herb and just a touch of more pungent Perique in the background. The tin note is largely barn yard feed of various descriptions - so much so that it reminds me of the feed room in my barn - delicious Virginia aromas. And I wished for a moment I selected a pipe typically paired with Virginias as opposed to the wider bowled Oriental smoker I chose instead - more on that later. The charring light brings grass, parchment and some cardboard notes with a touch of salted nuts.

Progressing into the true light and first third of the bowl, a more assertive spiciness emerges, featuring black and white pepper, with a backdrop of that initial parchment and some basswood reminiscent of a good burley. The flavor profiles are very consistent through mid-bowl, the smoke is cool and dry and the condimental Perique here is harmonious rather than discordant - no small task for any blender. The finish is crisp, smokey, dry, and very slightly ashy, with somewhat more assertive wood and nut notes overtaking the peppery spice.

Overall this reminds me of a spicier and less sweet version of Oak Alley and it wouldn't surprise me if these blends are related in concept and perhaps even in the early stages of production. However, Temple Bar is the more assertive and stronger blend.

Tasted blind, I would swear there is burley here. But who am I to question the blender's description? Regardless, a very enjoyable blend. In reference to my note on pipe choice above, I found that smoking this in a Dublin brought out the Virginias in the first third, with a touch of sweetness and tang, whereas a shallower and wider bowl accentuated the Orientals. Either way this was a spicier blend that Oak Alley, with smokey and woody Orientals and a burleyesque backdrop of parchment, cardboard, salt and nuts. Produces copious amounts of grey smoke that may be off-putting to non-smokers.

Edit: this blend seems to really come alive in a tall, narrow bowl. It's also great in a quality MM cob.

Similar Blends: Cornell & Diehl - Oak Alley (Cellar Series).

gladi8tor96 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gladi8tor96 (114)

The bar is nicely put together and is light brown a few streams of lighter tobacco and flecks of darker. It smells sweet, earthy, spicy (herbal), exotic, and just a tinge sour.

It's easy to cut and rub out, which I have found to be the best way to load it into a pipe. Lights easily and remains lit with slight but firm tamping.

This smoke is quite an interesting mix. Again, to me, it's a unique experience. I can detect the virginia's from their sweetness, but they are not overly sweet, which are enhanced by the spicy (herbal) aspect of the orientals. The perique adds some dark fruit notes and sometimes a little bit of spice (pepper). There are hints of earth and woods throughout the smoke as well, again balanced by the slight sweetness and the, almost incense like, spice. The smoke is complex enough to keep ones mind interested while they enjoy this 'exotic' tobacco.

Thanks to my buddy for giving me a huge sample of this. I have some cellared as I think it will be even more awesome after a few years.

Pipe Used: Cob, Billard, Bones

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Purchased From: Gifted

GabrielCRT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GabrielCRT (73)

Here's another beautiful looking plug from Pease. The tin note is wonderful and sweet. I found a quick 15 minute dry time was enough for this one. After lighting there is a blast of earth and spice. It settles into a very smooth medium-bodied smoke. The red and bright Virginia are well-bonded and neither one dominates with equal parts earth and hay. The Izmir is slightly muted but when it shines it's great, spicy and sour. The Perique has a very very subtle role with mostly spice and pepper.

Compared to Regents Flake this is much earthier, less sweet, and a little more in need of age. This is recommended now, and ought to be stellar after a year or two.

butman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
butman (46)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Thanks, Greg. Thank you very much I was just happy as a kookaburra by the billabong then here he comes out with 2 new tobaccos that might interest me. I just can't resist. So I pull out this plug and it is a good one. I grab my cleaver and cutting board and reduce it to small pieces that will fit into my pipe. Now am not usually a big Oriental guy, but I smoked 3 bowls the first day. It is a repeater because it is so complex. It worked great in each pipe I tried and yet was unique in each. It is the most complex tobacco in my larder. I really like it. I have not tried it in a big bowl, yet. I smoke it every day now. Update, I like it better every day. Can't wait to try the Regent's, but this one may get an upgrade on its score soon.

Pipe Used: Castello, Charatan Lumberman, Willmer Zulu

Age When Smoked: 1 week

Similar Blends: Not sure..

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (157)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Hearty like Master Pease's other plugs.

Cool and slow-steady burning with a rough ribbon cut. If you chop and rub too fine, it doesn't taste very good to me and becomes harsh. So keep it kinda on the thick side. It also does not DGT well.

The splendid Virginia is in each puff (mostly red, well fermented and cherry-like but only semi-sweet). Always savory and at times intense flavor. The darker leaf (including Perique) subdues the Virginia from dominating.

It does appear to me to be an evening smoke rather than all day.

For those who like their Virginia thick and full but not way too sweet.

Pipe Used: Old West lovat

Age When Smoked: new tin

Purchased From: smoking pipes

Similar Blends: Butera's Royal Vintage Blended Flake, but TB is darker tasting..

This is a pretty nice smoke. Virginia forward supported by the Orientals and just a wiff of Perique. It's sweet and fruity with an underlying mildly sour, woody spiciness. Has a nice depth to it. You have to push it fairly hard to get it to misbehave. Smoked it cubed and rubbed and got the better burn with the rubbed. A pleasant and enjoyable blend. Rock solid 3 stars.

Medium in body and taste. No added flavorings.

Pipe Used: Chacom cutty, MM Little Devil Acorn

Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

Straight forward tangy Virginia of the fermented bright variety combines with the Latakia and soft petal Orientals to provide a rather heady smoke. There's strength in them thar leaves, boys! I absolutely loved this blend. There are others similar, but the way Pease can take Bright and special process the leaf for ripeness is superior... as is Temple Bar.

moniker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
moniker (81)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Greg Pease’s new Temple Bar is not much of a plug, but it’s a hellova smoke. I wish I knew the age of the tin I purchased, but for once it did not have a manufacture date sticker on the bottom. I suppose it was young. In the freshly opened tin, I smell apricot over peaches, over golden cake, grassy, fermented, flue (and air?) cured VAs, over plummy, slightly earthy, forest floor type moss, along with faint fermented dates and Middle Eastern spices; all very “exotic”, yet somehow comforting to me. Add to this a hint of orange liqueur. My first thought was to prepare and smoke this tobacco in a way that would best preserve the tin note, if that were possible. The “plug” here is a rather loose amalgamation of stacked leaves of the constituent tobaccos, mostly light orange to orange/gold, nothing dark. I sliced and re-sliced it against the grain, producing chunky “broken flakes” or “ribbons” that I first rubbed out, then I re-blended the resultant rough chunks. I tried this rough mixture right from the tin and more or less dry, guided by results. For now, I’ve settled on fairly dry tobacco tamped into a pipe that’s not been used for stronger blends, especially not darker varietals or blends, including dark burley, cigar leaf, Latikia, or aros. A VA pipe works fine for Temple Bar, but not so well for VA after that. Based on results in this case, I will be dedicating a pipe to this blend.

Dried even a little, Temple Bar lights and smokes down great for me with regular poking and light tamping. The constituent tobaccos are well proportioned to my taste, with the lovely tin note present throughout the bowl, in the tastes and aromas, alike. The snork is sublime, and more so as it’s smoked down. The complex Orientals make a substantial contribution from the match, on, simultaneously playing the main theme, harmony and counterpoint, while the rich, smooth, sweet and grassy VAs play a tasty continuo that rises as the smoke progresses. For me, the complexity here stays in perspective for a medium-bodied smoke. “Tone” is mostly “mid-band”, with not much in the way of high or low “notes”. Medium to delicate side streams and ephemeral puffs always add, never distract or detract. It’s almost as though the well-melded dash of plummy Perique tempers the Orientals. At any rate, the outcome is grand. Strength rises slowly and steadily to medium. Tastes are just over medium. I like the room note. Aftertaste is a tapering off of the best of the smoke, and it lingers longer than most Turkish blends.

Temple Bar is as delicious and interesting a pipe tobacco as I have ever smoked, at least when it’s relatively fresh, and it has supplanted Embarcadero on my Favorites List. I recommend it to those who believe they would enjoy a fermented mix of these varietals, though the Perique is truly condimental here, important, but not in and of itself. Congrats again, Greg, four stars with a flourish.

Pipe Used: group 4 briars

Age When Smoked: not marked this time; fresh from tin and jarred

Purchased From: 4Noggins

Similar Blends: Compare/contrast to GLP Embarcadero.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Hard to work with plug. Initially, it has a harsh twang, but after a month open , it smoothes out some. It's a heavy Perique/Oriental blend that seems to have a slight rum topping. Reminds me of a cross between Haddos Delight , Cairo and H&H Anniversary Kake. Might improve with a few years of age but right now it's harsh and boring, no latakia to smooth this out

Pipe Used: cob

Age When Smoked: 1-3 months open

Similar Blends: a cross between Haddos Delight , Cairo and H&H Anniversary Kake.