A well-rounded blend, emphasizing the chocolate flavor of Burley tobacco

BrandImperial Tobacco Group, PLC
Extremely Mild
Taste
2.2
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

This is basically the same review as the one I posted on the other Amphora Brown entry. I don't know why it's listed twice here because they are the same blend. I used to smoke it in the 1970s and in the past couple of years, I managed to get quite a bit of it to smoke again. I still like it and here's my repost.

My favorite of the three Amphora blends I have tried. The cocoa/chocolate taste is nice, not overwhelming, and I'd say less so than the description posted. Not much nuttiness from the burley, but I don't mind. I've seen a review elsewhere that claimed there was a slight mint taste here, but I never noticed it. The cavendish taste is very slight, but adds a sweet note to the Kentucky and Virginia components. It's sort of complex in a very subtle way, but not as much as many other mixtures. It doesn't matter. This burns nicely, tastes great, and leaves a nice aftertaste. An all day smoke that is very easy on your senses. A very consistent smoke from pouch to pouch. I just wish I could get it more easily in the U.S.

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (152)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Is almost tasteless, not so strong. For me is Flat,but is a good quality product. Agreable for novices in pipe smoking.

IanTimothy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
IanTimothy (8)

My brother gave me a pouch of this after his last visit to Holland..It reminds me of a strong but very high quality cigarette tobacco..I would not buy it but I will finish the pouch..Its a steady burner..the flavour as I have already said remind me of cigarettes.. I cannot say I dislike it..but it does not have the sweetness I like..as I have said in my other reviews I am a real fan of FVF ..as such I tend to judge other tobacco's from that "marker' it burns steadily and not hot ..and it does not change its flavour if you have to relight it mid pipe ..Nothing more to say about this weed..only to thank my brother for buying it for me

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (103)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

As far as I know, this blend is no longer available in the U.S. The last time I had a pouch of it, it was still blended by D & E. It tasted very similar to the current Skandivic Full Aroma. It didn't have any negative aspects except, to my taste, it was a bit bland. It was certainly better than most of the common "drug store" brands.

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

The original manufacturer's mixture was excellent. This was pure tobacco at its best.

Imperial Tobacco has changed the recipe for the worse. This is not what it used to be.

Old Northern Smoky Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old Northern Smoky (33)

Another Van Nelle-licensed product. Years ago when I first started pipe smoking this was my regular brand, but the blend has changed somewhat since those days when it was a true D&E product.

Available in the 50 gram pouch and 200 gram "can" in Canada.

I recall the D&E pouch aroma was very earthy.....now I detect what smells to me like a light rum topping, though nothing but tobacco in the room note. Carefully packed because it is rather coarse, it lights and smokes well in a small bore as long as you keep it tamped, with just one match.

The first half bowl smokes dry and smooth, but its character gets a bit aggressive on the tongue and back of throat in the last half. Best to puff on this slowly and lightly. Smoking this on its own is something I seldom did way back when, and something I seldom do today.....even less so with this modified baccy.

While I always keep this blend on hand, I use it to add some burley body to my black and gold cavendish blends. Smokes nicely mixed 25/75 with Captain Black Royal...which takes the nip out of both but gives a nice mellow smoke and a pleasant, but less intense room note as a bonus.

A D&E Original Blend, its not, so if you're expecting to relive the Amphora brown experience of yesteryear, forget it! But if you want a rather mellow smoke for at least the first half bowl, or want to add some burley body to another blend go ahead and give it a go.

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (155)

I have smoked Amphora OB (formerly Regular) a certain number of times in my long smoking life, never for itself but just because it is one of the few blends available in Italy - together with Italia and, in a smaller measure, Skandinavik Regular - good for house blending. The mixture Dunhill 965 + Amphora Regular (50/50) was a true classic back in the seventies, just as Sobranie Original Mixture + Italia (50/50) was too. Both good ways to reduce the considerable cost of smoking the expensive english mixtures of the time.

OB smoked alone belongs to the family of the regular/continental blends based on the triad VaBKy with occasional presence of Orientals (whose quality and origin who knows ?) or so-called Tropicals (Java, Paraguay or african weeds): a very balanced pout-pourry of many weeds, Burley being the main component. Very good to start new pipes because the non-characterization of the blend.

The smoke: not bad. A mild-to-medium strength mix of thin ribbon and ready rubbed, nutty/earthy with initial faint floreal notes, and some pleasant sourish effects to the tongue. Occasionally salty and piquant. To the nostril only tobacco aroma, I frankly don't detect any flavouring, not even the chocolatey one the pouch notes speak of. The body develops from refreshing to stouter, and sometimes makes me think of the current Three Nuns Original, just in milder way. The burning behaviour is very much good. Seems to me that OB benefits from larger bores.

A nice surprise indeed. OB is something no pipster should miss to taste in his life, and one of the best OTC blends available worldwide.

Boswell Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Boswell (6)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I picked up a pouch of this on holiday in Italy recently -- it doesn't seem to be available here in the UK. It's a pleasant tobacco, milder than, say, St Bruno; burns slowly; doesn't seem to bite; has nice nutty flavour with just a hint of topping. A relaxing smoke.

Ghost1974 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ghost1974 (10)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Good times! This was the first blend I ever tried, I bought it the same day I bought my first pipe. I had no clue. I bought the pipe because I liked how it looked and it was cheap, and I bought Amphora Regular because the guy at the counter asked me if I wanted to pick up some tobacco and I blurted out "Amphora" since I remembered an old commercial for it, and "Regular" since it was the first pouch I spotted behind the counter.

The taste is mild, and it burns relatively well. Thankfully I enjoyed it enough to stick with the pipe, it really led me to explore the hobby deeper. I will eternally be grateful to Amphora for it...but you still only get two stars!

Worth a try.

Alguhan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alguhan (140)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

It's an old friend Like Amphora Full Aroma. It's better than smoking candy sweet stuffs when you are not able to find something else. Or maybe it would be interesting to smoke a bowl of this in the memory of old days.

Fortunately I have possibilities to smoke better tobaccos.

Steden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steden (83)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Abstract: This review is based on the mixture called Original Blend. On the envelope are shown as components Burley, Cavendish and Orientals. As I said in my review about Park Lane N.7 by comparing the two tobaccos, AOB has a certain elegance, but lacks depth. The aroma and flavor is slightly nutty and chocolate, may remind the Gianduja. Nothing unpleasant, but the taste is as exciting as a harpsichord concert! This tobacco is often used in "home mixtures" as stabilizing strength and aromas. Excellent for "breaking" of a new pipe.

suicune Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
suicune (23)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium Very Pleasant

This, along with Full Aroma, is the best version of Amphora. It is cheap and easily found, so you don't have to search far and wide to find this (at least here, in Romania). The cut is almost like the Full Aroma, and the lenght of the tobacco makes it a little hard to fill a pipe, but not too hard. I couldn't detect any aroma in it, so I will put it more in the category of natural tobacco, with no chemicals in it. It isn't strong, so it is an excellent choice for beginners. But be warned, you need a lot of patience to smoke this one to the bottom, especially if you have a large bowl pipe. For me, it took one and a half hour to smoke it. It doesn't bite the tongue and it burns very dry, even though the tobacco is a little wet in the pouch. The room smell it is almost identical to Full Aroma. It is a good tobacco and recommended for every smoker. You can try this and I guarantee that it is not a waste of money.

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Pleasantly surprised with this one (called Original Blend here) given to me by a newbie who didn't much care for it. Very nice gentle casing on this one, fruity and floral. But quite subtle with a good natural baccy taste. Only a hint of chemical taste. The burley is well used in the blend, popping up now and then. Less bite than a MacB, even cheaper here in Holland than MacB (it is a Dutch baccy, although I suspect made in Denmark these days). One of the more natural tasting packets I've had for a while.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I smoked this for years and am still looking for a replacement. If anyone ever finds one, please, please contact me as I would love to try it. This is an almost natural tobacco and a mix of Burley and Virginias in a thin cavendish cut that stays lit easily and can be smoked all day long. It has a great room note that noone, I mean noone ever complained about. It has a sweet nutty taste and a good n hit. Unfortunately they no longer import into the US! Don't you hate it when your all day blend cannot be had anymore? Cakes the bowl well and burns down to a powdery grey ash.

Great stuff!

smokerings86 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokerings86 (4)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Upon opening the pouch the smell was not exactly aromatic, more pungent like inexpensive cigars. The tobacco on the dry side but packed well. The burn was even and burn through with one tamping and re-light. A little tongue bite, I attribute to the dryness it burned quick and hot. Flavours were mellow notes of nutmeg and vanilla with some bitterness near the end. I may abandon the last 40g because its now has the moisture level of shredded news print and the taste following quickly. I imagine this is more a problem with freshness, I bought the pouch at a corner store in a pinch. I would try another pouch if I knew it was fresh and stored well.

Sasquatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sasquatch (63)

I don't quite think that this is 4 star tobacco, but it is definitely worth a try. Like Casper, I am smoking the "Canadian" version, pouch saying Amphora Original, and coming apparently out of the Netherlands.

cut is rough shag, fairly fine, with a bit of very fine mixed throughout. Lighting and keeping lit couldn't be easier, and you can really puff on this without it biting, or even heating up the pipe much - a very good choice for a beginner.

Smooth and rich, just a little spice, but not much. I kind of wonder if just a little chocolate flavoring is added.

Very good with a cup of tea for sure. Or even a root beer. Undemanding tobacco and a classic. It's too bad the Imperial Tobacco version seems to be a dud.

Casper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Casper (22)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

First off, the brown "regular" pouch in Canada and Holland is sold as "Original Blend". It is also described on the pouch as, "A well-rounded blend, emphasising the chocolately flavour of burly tobacco". When I first tried this a year ago I found it bland- strike that- tasteless! A recent return trip to Holland changed my mind though. I decided to try it again as another reviewer here mentioned the Dutch version to be better. He was right. Wonderful creamy/chocolatey aroma and flavour. Easily lit, no tongue bite regardless of puffing rhythm and just a wonderful tobacco to enjoy with a cup of Dutch coffee. On my return home I decided to try the "Canadian" version and found it to be just as satisfying and an equally good partner to a cup of Earl Grey. A comparison tobacco would be Mac Baren's London Blend Burly which, in contrast to everyones glowing review, I find to be a distant second. Perhaps the blend has changed or perhaps I have - regardless it has become a personal favourite.

addendum 2007: still the tobacco I smoke every morning - see pipe master Rolando Negoita's brief bio on the web and please reconsider - truly a wonderful smoke with a regular Timmy's eh!

addendum 2008: I smoke a lot of different blends....I still think this is a quality tobacco and have introduced it to several pipers who never would have tried it, (and they liked it). I've yet to find a "dry" pouch in the, (dare I say), several hundred I've purchased. This is a "diamond in the rough" tobacco believe me.

Guyrox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Guyrox (131)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Amphora Regular is a large cut, broken flake that smells like plain, pure tobacco smell. Somehow, it reminds me of Drum cigarette tobacco, but on the sweeter side.

Being the traditional danish/Dutch cavendish blend, it's rather on the dull side of things. But the bakkie is still a nice one.

It needs some rubbing out before filling; lighting is easy and it's not hard to maintain; it doesn't require a lot of attention. It smokes dry, I'll give it that.

It is a nice tobacco, it's just that it lacks that little kick in taste and nicotine, but it might prove too strong for beginners.

However,it really builds up a new pipe nicely...

Ducksbreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ducksbreath (79)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

Extremely bitter and tasteless with a suprising dose of nicotine, like a cigarette. I can't believe the old stuff was like this, but I don't remember. The full aroma version masks this bitterness and is one star better, but I can't believe this is the same as the tobacco that used to be so popular, which when available I never really tried.

giturra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
giturra (31)
Very Mild None Detected Very Mild Tolerable

This is a very mediocre tobacco, dull, monotone, flavorless, I think it might br used to tone down or mix up other tobaccos with it. otherwise, pass it by,not even for begginers ,I think you're better off with Captain black if you are a begginer. Not disgusting, but I'm not buying any of this stuff ever again.

fatherDougal Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fatherDougal (28)
Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

I didn't expect much from such a tobacco, and I wasn't disappointed. Bland, dry and dusty is how I would enshrine this pipe load... however, it didn't spoil my pipe, it didn't chase away loved ones, and it made me want to smoke something GOOD right after. I'm so cheap that perhaps I'll use it as padding with some heavily-flavoured concoction. It might lend itself to some vanilla highlights.

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (165)
Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

Amphora used to produce some rather nice aromatics once upon a time. I remember with affection their Golden Cavendish and the Full Aromatic in the red pouch. The brown pouch - both as Regular and Original - is disappointing. My memory of it was of a clean tasting tobacco with some meat to it. The present incarnation, though it burns well, is hardly worth the bother of smoking on its own. It is useful, though, for extending or taming other blends.

Hemlock Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hemlock (56)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Judging by the reviews over the years, this is one tobacco that has changed over the years, and may well be subject to batch variability even today (it's a wonder than any blend can stay the same year over year being a natural product, let alone the mfg. processes). I suspect that the pouch I tried is characteristic of its current form which, in summary is not an aromatic cavendish at all. I tried this as Amphora Original Blend, here in Canada. Apparently a Dutch blend (judging by the address of the mfr.), so I cannot say if this is the Imperial tobacco version or not. The texture is very nice being a sort of ribbon/shag mixture with a perfect moisture level. I have now smoked several bowls with a singe light.

The pouch describes this as a blend that emphasized the chocolatey flavour of burely, but I taste nothing like chocolate. This is very much unlike a cavendish blend, with no casing or blackened pressed leaf. The pouch aroma is very much like a rich roll your own cigarette tobacco, such as Drum or Van Nelle. Though the pouch description suggests an exotic smoke with its Oriental, Virginia and Kentucky components, it is in fact very plain in flavour. I cannot discern the Oriental component, and the Virginia is not exceedingly sweet or tangy. The room note is fairly smokey, nicer than a cigar, but no crowdpleaser either. The strength is around an HPH 1.5, surprisingly since I had expected more.

If you are accustomed to plain flavoured tobacco with little or no distinct character and like plain burley and virginia blends this is for you. I could see this as a staple blend for seasoned smokers, who may get this at the local smoke shop amongst two or three other "drugstore" blends. If you're looking for an aromatic, try the Full Aroma (red). Although I have enjoyed this pouch for its true tobacco character, I will likely not be buying this again since it is scarcely a step above mediocre in the realm of natural blends.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a classic among the first tobaccos for new pipesmokers. It's easy to pack and smoke, it doesn't bite the tongue, not moist, a perfect beginner's blend. Later on, it can be very useful for home blending purposes, it's a good base for its nice body and little aroma: mixed 50/50 with latakia it becomes a nice smoke, though not complex at all. I've also found it useful to damp a little those tobaccos with an overwhelming casing.

I don?t know what happened to this one! In its original Dutch D&E version it used to be a very smooth, flavoursome smoke, combining Burleys, Orientals and Virginias in a Cavendish blend. It had a certain taste of dark, unsweetened chocolate (very mild), redolent of those Dutch cigars made with leaf from Java, or of dark, expresso roasted coffee beans. It was a very stable and reliable smoke: nothing out of the ordinary, but very nice in mid afternoon or even in early morning. It went off the market for a while, and has now resurfaced under an English firm (Imperial Tobacco). Well, they have done something very strange out of this blend. In the pouch the aroma has changed. It does smell of natural tobacco, but the spiciness has gone. It now has a scent similar to cigarette tobacco. Upon lightening, the first few puffs yield a flavour only vaguely reminiscent of the Dutch version. Then, somehow, the whole thing starts burning hot (even if you puff slowly and carefully), and it develops a very unpleasant bitterness. Suddenly, whatever flavour there was, dissipates and you are left only with smoke. No character, no zest, no depth. Just smoke. Perhaps a cigarette smoker trying to pick up a pipe might find this a kind of transitional tobacco.

__________ Addendum (Feb'05): I don't know if the people at Imperial Tobacco read these pages, or if my palate has become so jaded I don't distinguish flavours any more, but the recent pouches I have bought of Amphora Regular seem to be more in line with the original D&E blend.

There is still a mysterious bitter agent there, that tends to spoil the Oriental- Virginia interplay (maybe a cheap Burley?), but somehow the flavour and consistency of the blend have been brought up a notch, making it more palatable and closer to its old self. Who knows? Maybe the blenders at Imperial Tobacco are finally getting it right! In any case, due to my recent experience with this old favourite, I am upgrading my perception of what could still be a very good natural tobacco.

The Keeper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Keeper (112)

I enjoy trying various kinds of blends for reference - even if I am fairly sure I won't like them.

That is the approach I took when lighting up a sample of Amphora brown that passed my way recently.

All in all not a bad aromatic smoke - likely a better option than many over the counter cavendish soup blends you could find. Probably a good option for someone who wants a light, flavorful chocolate/vanilla flavored blend without much complexity. A bit of burley and VA taste but not even as much tobacco essence as say - Deep Hollow. Nice to try, but my tastes just lean so heavily towards natural tobacco flavors that I'm not interested in testing Amphora Regular any further.

provguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
provguy (52)

I have just tried Amphora Regular for the 1st time and I kind of like it. It doesn't fit in with the other baccys that I typically smoke but it is mild and lights easily and stays lit. Has a pleasant though mild taste and easily an all day type blend. I think I will keep some around. 31/2 stars ===============update===============

I have had several bowls now and continue to enjoy this mild but somewhat flavorful Dutch blend. There is definitely a place for this baccy for me.

DUPE.629 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Extremely Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

October-2003. Amphora Regular (Brown) Out of curiousity I tried this again and why I bothered,I dont know. This time was even worse,very close to smoking pure air with absolutely no flavour. The only plus to this is,it was easy to light. Totally lacking everything. 1 out of 10.

Cassutt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cassutt (1)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

I'm no tobacco expert, but I kind of like this stuff. It's a staple for me, probably because I got a lot for free (There's a story there, but I won't bother with it). It doesn't have much flavor too it, but the flavor it does have is pleasant. Being a new smoker, I find it hard to keep some blends lit, but for some reason, this particular blend only requires one lighting (A good thing in my book). Anyone who likes strong, full flavored English blends will be turned off, but for a novice pipesmoker, it's certainly tolerable.

pop-pop's pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pop-pop's pipe (96)
Mild to Medium None Detected Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Amphora Red without the flavoring. Good but a little bland and tiring. Not as good as Amphora Red.

ruffinogold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ruffinogold (82)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

I havent had it in awhile though I remember it to be a straight burley flavor that had a touch of spice that I loved.It burned dry which was nice .Alittle nutty and at the time available.I miss this blend. Though Skandinavik regular is similar it's not the same . Skandinavik will leave a pipe stinky. I dont remember this blend having any cavendish . I remember it to be a ready rubbed burley that I smoked in the 80's and into the 90's a bit . People say virginia and cavendish with regards to this blend and it confuses me . Maybe there is va and cavendish in it ..... but it tasted like a straight ahead burley to me ......... and thats a damn good thing . It must have changed since the 80's cause this was no way a ribbon cut when I smoked it and it was void of any added flavoring

Pipe Used: Mediun sized chambered pipes

Age When Smoked: Fresh from the pouch

Purchased From: OTC

Similar Blends: Similar to other straight ahead burley blends .. just not as refined as say MB GE but more refined than SWR.

LoisKelly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LoisKelly (55)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

In my waltz down memory lane, I figured this one to be a sure hit. What happened? The difference between the Amphora of old and the modern iteration is significant, to say the least.

Ouch!

Gae Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gae (46)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Well it has been a few year's since I smoked this. So "WHAT HAVE THEY DONE TO IT"????????????? I puffed & puffed & puffed & even smoked it different pipe's as well. Just to make sure it wasn't me!!! It was almost like smoking fresh air! And I couln't seem to get hardly any taste out of it at all! There's nothing even familiar about the way it was year's ago!!! It might be ok for a "VERY Timid" new comer to pipe smoking,but I'll never bother with this again.There's just nothing to add. I'll give it 1 star out of 4 only because it's easy to light.

Skilling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skilling (80)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

I found this stuff on a country store shelf. I had to blow and wipe the dust off the package. The tobacco was somewhat dry.

Upon smoking, it reminded me of Skandinavik Regular (a tobacco I smoke somewhat regularly).

A dominate burley blend with a little VA. Nothing real special with this blend but could be a working/fishing smoke.

Better then the candy smokes. Offers more then most straight burley blends.

I'd like to find a fresher pack of this.

Very Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Seeing Skilling's review of Amphora Regular reminded me of when I started smoking this blend 25 or 30 years ago. I ordered several packages of Amphora from the Dan Tobacco catalog a year or so ago and the flavor sure seemed less impressive than what I remembered. Then I read Tantric's review and understood why. I did not know the blender had changed.

Like many of today's staples that have undergone subtle changes due to the recipe being recreated by different blenders, Amphora Regular is indeed not what it used to be. A hot burning, mild sort of mostly burley with a smidgen of virginia, AR does not light my fire.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Appearance: A typical Dutch ?Cavendish?, possibly best described as a coarse shag. Mostly medium brown with a few darker traces visible.

Aroma: Very straight-forward Burley/Virginia blend with no traces of Oriental leaf to my nose. Also litle or no traces of added scents or flavors.

Packing: The blend was easy to pack in every pipe that I tried, from Peterson Barrels to large billiards.

Lighting: In keeping with the cut, it took flame readily, hardly needing a charring light. Mostly one match and go.

Initial flavor: A fairly light taste, but interesting. Mostly a slightly bitter, nutty taste from the Burley, a sweetness from the Va. In the background. Mostly stayed in the middle range, no highs or lows.

Mid-bowl: Still a plain honest flavor, with little complexity or layering. Cool enough if not smoked rapidly, and no trace of gurgle.

Finish: Again, not much change at the bottom. Also not much dottle, if any.

Summary: A good all-day smoke if you like lighter blends. It does not need your full attention, so may be smoked while working on other tasks, even outdoors. Definitely good quality, way above average for Dutch blends.

jesse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jesse (9)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Strong

Amphora Brown is a favorite of many people, but I gave my can of it away. While the room-note was quite pleasant, I found the flavor to be basically pretty flat. The not entirely unpleasant casing domainates strongly and does flavor the pipe. Unfortunately, the underlying tobacco flavor was barely there. This tobacco smoked fairly wet and was prone to be a touch agressive.