A well-rounded blend, emphasizing the chocolate flavor of burley tobacco.

Centuries of tobacco craftsmanship go into Amphora Original blend to bring out the rich chocolately undertones of the finest burley tobaccos, balanced with Orientals, Kentucky, and Virginia leaf. The result is a smooth textured and easy burning blend of rare distinction.

Notes: Made by MacBaren since 2006, the company owns the blend as of 2015.

BrandMac Baren
Strength
Extremely Mild
Taste

2.5

The rich chocolate topping is obvious without overwhelming the tobaccos. The burleys have a toasted nuttiness along with earth and a little molasses, and takes a little more of the lead than the grass, earth, and citrus from the Virginia. In a support role, the Kentucky has a little smoky woodiness with a bare hint of spice. The Oriental is lightly floral with a little smoke and wood, plus a very minor sour note as it playfully lingers in the background. The strength and taste is mild to medium. Won’t bite even when puffed fast. The nic-hit ranges between mild and moderate. The tobaccos are ribbon cut with a little broken flake. The blend is subtly complex with a very cool, clean and smooth, fairly consistent flavor from start to finish. The only change in flavor I have ever noticed is that the burleys and Kentucky seem to stand out just a little more after the half way point. Has no dull or harsh spots. Requires few relights, and leaves no moisture in the bowl. Has a nice after taste and pleasant room note. An all day smoke that is very easy on your senses.

If you give it any dry time, you will find the tobacco flavor more noticeable without totally losing the chocolate topping. I dry it, and my review reflects that experience. Fresh and moist, you will find the tobaccos are mildly sublimated by the topping as I previously noted.

felipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
felipe (6)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I always had troubles at figuring out what an 'all-day-smoke' tobacco was. After all, one can always smoke whatever he wants whenever it wants. Right?

True, but sometimes you don't have the time or the concentration needed for smoking virginia flakes, or you don't feel in the mood for latakia-induced meditation. Or in general you want to smoke, but you don't know what to smoke. So you linger for a minute on your stash, and you are at risk of picking your favorite blend for a mediocre smoke. Don't do it, keep always a jar of Amphora OB around for situations like this. Don't use expensive tobaccos to fight your nicotine cravings.

It's a natural cavendish (no noticeable flavoring) made from virginias, burley and kentucky, and you can taste all of them! Never monotone, it even provides some evolution during the smoke. It burns quite fast, forcing the smoker to be disciplined, but forgives you go full-steam mode for a while. Smokes great in a cob, giving good 20-minutes smokes if packed lightly.

To me, an 'all-day' tobacco is one you burn when you just want a good, satisfying bowl, but for some reason you don't feel like you want any particular tobacco. AOB is perfect for these moments.

Pipe Used: Many briars, corncob

Age When Smoked: Pouch from the shelves

Similar Blends: Skandinavik Regular, Italia.

L'Italiano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
L'Italiano (111)

This tobacco is one of the best cavendish tobacco I have never smoked. Excellent, neutral, natural tobacco. But cavendish. I don’t know if there is some chocolate added. Or something else. I know this is a real natural cavendish tobacco (to be more precise, cavendish and not black cavendish). You can smoke it straight all day long and it doesn’t cloy. You can use it in all kind of mixture to improve it or to dilute an expensive tobacco, thanks to its neutral character. In my opinion this tobacco is a non-aromatic Cavendish and in this cheap product you can find the real taste of cavendish tobacco. In my personal rating (from 1 to 10) my score is 8/9 and three stars.

Vovinam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Vovinam (19)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

One of my favorite allday tobacco, also very fitable in home-made mixtures. Round, fragrant, straight and natural, a little hint of cocoa in the aftertaste but not heavy artificial flavouring, it's all very soft and pleasant. The entire mixture (burley, oriental, kentucky and virginia) pass for a cavendish process. Despite that is a tobacco from the NL, the style is indubitably American; the result is a mixture between the burley American mixture and a classic and natural scottish blend, so nothing of the famous "Holland flavour like", burleys and orientals are preminent. Magnificent with some fresh added havana cigar fund. One of my secret and favourite mixture that a friend of mine call "Habanera" consist in 60 - 75% of AOB, 15 - 20% havana cigar, 10 - 20% latakia (syrian); the best % in my opinion is (70/20/10). Try it! The AOB is a good start for the beginner: for a perfect smoking requires some experience to control the lighting, the pressure in the bowl and the humidity, but if you do something wrong the result never fails you, so it's good for start practising.

Type: Burley american mixture/ scottish blend, natural medium ; Contents: Burley, Orientals, Kentucky and Virginia ; Flavoring: None particular flavoring added, only the minimal required by the cavendish process, something that remeber a chocolate aftertaste; Cut: Ribbon ; Humidity: Often high and tend to produce some humidity in the fund of the bowl during smoking, needs to be slow tasted ; Lighting: Most of the time easy, but burn slow and sometimes needs to be relighted ; Pipe recommended: Large bowls, in a Chubby is awesome, in a Corn pipe works great and in the Meerschaums give unique experiences

Medium Extremely Mild Medium Very Pleasant

One of the all-time classic blends that is, unfortunately, now unavailable in the USA. Tubs of the Original Amphora literally flew off the shelves of drug stores and supermarkets around the country. A very tasty Burley blend with lightly flavored quality Cavendish and a touch of Virginia leaf for added flavor. This blend never bit, always packed and stayed lit well, and pleased those who enjoyed quality smokes at a bargain price.

I miss this one!

smoking-rob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoking-rob (75)

On a whim I bought a pouch of this old veteran as I live in the Netherlands and it used to be produced here by Douwe Egberts, but nowadays by Imperial Tobacco. It is very popular among Dutch pipesmokers and I can understand why: a slightly sweet, spicy, mild and well burning cavendish that never offends. Recommended.

WmZiggy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WmZiggy (76)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

I had a pipe smoking friend send me a note that Amphora was back on the market and promptly order the Original and Full blends. This review is for the Original, as I haven't tried the Full yet. I was motivated because I smoked a number of tins of Amphora "Regular" in college, even ordered one of their pipes with coupons back when I couldn't afford to buy nice pipes. ( As an aside, the Amphora pipes were nice briars that smoked well.)

The remake Original Blend is as I remember their Regular that came in brown tins, if memory serves me correctly. It is a mild, easy smoke, with Burley earthiness in the forefront. After it has been burning a while - perhaps mid-bowl, I began to discern more sweetness of the Virginia kicking in, along with some nice Turkish notes. The blend burned nicely, with few re-lights to the bottom of the bowl. It smoked cool in the bowl, and did not burn the mouth, no matter how hard I puffed it. A slow burning nice tobacco flavor blend.

This blend was formed into cakes and sliced into course-cut ribbons. It is predominately Burley with some lemon colored Virginia. Predominately brown in color, it has some black flakes, perhaps the Cavendish leaf. I can't pick out the Turkish, but it's there. There is a top dressing, but it is light, perhaps licorice.

If you like lighter Burley/VA/Turkish blends you will like AOB. I like it as a nice change of pace from more high powered blends and flakes.

05/13/16 I smoked a bowl of this is my ol Amphora bulldog pipe last night. Whatever, it was excellent. Some fine memories here!

Pipe Used: Dunhill Cumberland Squat Bulldog blast.

Similar Blends: McBaren's Golden Extra without the MB top dressing..

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (167)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I was offered a sample by an old timer and what a pleasant surprise it was. A no fuss tobacco for an all day smoke, a Dutch Cavendish type blend that satisfies. The chocolate/cocoa taste is there in spades, never strong but adding to the Burley nuttiness. Due to the cut it burns quite fast so beware to pace yourself.

It's something to try for those who don't like aromatics but want to take a break from their favorite tobacco. With that in mind, this old school blend could easily become an unassuming, preferred smoke for many.

Pipelover59 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipelover59 (1)

This is one of those delightful quiet and understated friends that is like the neighbour you are happy to greet every once in a while to re-calibrate to the centre with a decent and light conversation.

The subtle grassy scent in the pouch quietly introduces the other components of this pleasant smoke that evolves in the bowl. Opening blush is a simple pure tobacco taste with a cocoa greeting that grows as the bowl burns down. It is gentle on the tongue, but requires a little attention as you smoke it. The meerschaum lining in my BC added a light dimension to the roundness of the obvious Virginia and Burley medley that stayed constant throughout. The grassy sweet flavours came through a little more in the end, more complementary than competitive. The room note is reminiscent of older classic tobaccos that "your uncle used to smoke", and while not something that makes you ohh and ahh, is still a welcoming scent to almost any nose.

I enjoy this tobacco to give perspective to the various English blends that I smoke and in my rotation sometimes use it as an introduction to the Dunhill 965 time of day for juxtaposition.

Quite simply, a classic old unassuming favourite that is a reliable part of a relaxed rotation that seeks a balanced mediator among the competitive interests!

Pipe Used: Butz Cho

Purchased From: Casablanca's in Toronto

tados Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tados (3)

This blend is a great all-day smoke. It is just nutty and chocolatey enough to give a kick to your bowl. The room note is great, I appreciate the sweetness of the last half-bowl. It's a tobacco I like to share with a non-smoker friend for his firsts time because here in Quebec it's the only convenient store tobacco that offers a good burley blend. (the other available tobaccos are Sail, Tycoon, Captain Black and Borkum Riff) all of these have poor reviews and I'm not interested in trying those.

The pouch: great nut/chocolate sent. 1st half: Good, plain burley. 2nd half: The flavoring reveals itself. great aroma, great room note. Ending: I have never thrown the last fourth of the bowl like I usually do.

Pros: great flavouring Cons: occasional bite tongue, the flavouring could be overwhelming for English smokers. Creates quite a lot of humidity, keep a peap-cleaner near you, especially in cold weather.

eikles Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
eikles (1)

My favorite burley blend so far. Excellent natural chocolaty and nutty burley flavor.

Schmitz Bitz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Schmitz Bitz (5)

This is (my current) OTC mainstay, so my review may be somewhat coloured.

The pouch aroma is very mild, offering hints of nuttyness and freshly mown grass, with undertones of leather. I have found this tobacco to be a touch on the dry side (although not overly so), but I think that is due to me being the only person purchasing this from my local tobacconist, and his supply being rather aged.

The cut is a little on the long side (to the point of being near unruly), and towards the bottom of the pouch, often contains bits of stem/veins, and larger pieces of flake. I could see this causing trouble during packing, particularly if packing a smaller bowl (although its become second nature to me now). Takes the flame very well, often I get through a bowl with but one (true) light.

Flavour starts out slightly sweet, building on the base of nutty burleys, layering the almost hay-like sweetness of the Virginia's throughout. As the bowl passes the 1/2 way mark, the Virginia flavours give way to a slightly chocolatey (think dark - 80% cocoa) undertone, with a honey sweetness from the cav., and a slightly peppery tingle from the Kentucky..all, of course, overtop of the boldy nutty burley flavours. There is usually a small amount of dottle mixed in with grey ash, but bone dry.

The room note on this tobacco is also deep with nutty aroma, with hints of leather and hay. The wife enjoys this the most out of any burley blend she has been subjected to so far.

If you are having a hard time finding tobacconists that are not just glorified head shops, news stands, or convenience stores, I would highly recommend this tobacco.

Kaziwazee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kaziwazee (8)

I purchased this blend about two weeks ago, after smoking some really nice aromatics from the folks at J.M. Boswells. The smell in the pouch is somewhat a cross between roasted nuts and chocolate. My first smoke was somewhat jarring, since for the last few months I have been smoking the sweet flavors of the Boswell blends. As a result, I found the taste of this blend to be somewhat unusual. At this point, I thought I made a mistake purchasing this blend. However, the next day I took another smoke and it got better. Then I tried it later that evening, and it was simply magical. What I'm suggesting is that this is a tobacco that grows better with each smoke. The flavor is somewhat enigmatic: a mixture of nuts and definitely rich chocolate. I find it tastes best when smoked slowly; and the taste that remains after smoking is to die for. I highly recommend this blend!

jonnynails Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jonnynails (3)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

I agree with the other reviewer. I used to smoke the Amphora range in the past, and recall them as being rather fast-burning. I bought this upon the recommendation of a tobacconist in Holland, who claimed it as the only blend he smokes.

A curious aroma and taste - very nutty, I'd say. You probably wouldn't want to smoke it day-in-day-out, unlike said tobacconist, but it makes a good rotation tobacco.

Sadly, unavailable in the UK, so if you're abroad and see it, buy a few packs.

Better than the full aroma blend, though this is certainly worth trying, too.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

For over 10 years this used to be my go-to tobacco. In the late '90s, however, Douwe Egebert's--like many other companies--sold its tobacco interests to Imperial Tobacco Company. Unlike other transitions, this one did not go down well. Amphora regular became a lackluster, un-Cavendished melânge of very simple Burleys and Viriginas, ribbon cut, tasteless and rather stale.

Recently I learned that as of 2007, MacBaren is the new producer of the Amphora range. So I bought two 50g. pouches of what is now called Original Blend, in a nice metalic paper wraper, with a new design (more elegant), but with the brown color of old.

This is a considerable improvement on the ITC version, but it yet has match the truly original one. I believe the difference resides in MacBaren's passion for the Burley leaf as the dominant tobacco. This is not at all bad (I'm a big fan of Golden Extra and London Club), but it does change the delictae and complex equilibrium that Amphora regular used to have, i.e., a subtle and elegant balance between the Virginias, Burleys and Kentucky, plus the Oriental leaf (not Latakia).

Due to the way it was processed, I believe there were certain similarities between old Amphora regular and the also bygone Sobranie's Virginia #10. Both had a certain cigar quality, due to the use of cigar leaf in the latter and a Sumatra or Java Vrginia in the former.

In this version I can hardly taste de Orientals and Virginias. The Cavendish process also seems to be different (yielding a slightly harsher smoke), and the cut--though better than the ribbon style of ITC--is loser and tougher.

I am comparing both not out of memory. A friend recently got hold of the Douwe Egbert's Amphora regular, in a a 6 Oz tin, and--after a much needed process of rehydration-- I have been smoking both.

Still: this a good and simple smoke, mild to medium, with basically a natural taste in spite of the otherwise barely perceptible coca/chocalte topping. A good change of pace for English style smokers, and a more refined version of the Virginia-Burley-Kentucky (i.e., the current Three Nuns) out there.

Pipe Used: BBB straight Rhodesian.

Age When Smoked: 2 years after buying

Purchased From: Duty Free St. Martens island.

Similar Blends: The current Three Nuns.

Bentlink Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bentlink (7)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

I smoked this back in the 1980's in College, and this newly imported version compares well with my memory...but my tastes have evolved. The pouch has the familiar tobaco and liqueur tones. It's a stringy ribbon cut with some hint of folded, rubbed cake with some pieces clinging together. The moisture is about right, just a bit on the damp side.

On lighting, I get a wee taste of chocolate. I'd describe it as Burley-forward, but don't see that as particularly positive, just factual. It burns well, with surprisingly little moisture. I find it getting sweeter at mid bowl. It holds on as decent to the finish.

This blend has some nostalgia for me, but I'm more of an English and Balkan fan these days, and miss some of the Latakia and Oriental taste. This blend is serviceable, but not really special for me now. I'll smoke it as a comfortable and occasional diversion, but won't go out of my way to find more.

Pipe Used: Neerup

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

I'm smoking my first bowl of Amphora Original as I write this post. Like many, I've waited for this to come back to the USA for years. Last I smoked it was in the late 80s I believe. Not as flavorful as the Full Aroma but enjoyable none the less (see my review for Full Aroma). I ordered two packs each from 4noggins and they arrived this afternoon. I was at a basketball game at West Point and knowing the parcel with the baccy would be arriving today, I couldn't wait to get home and start puffing away. Mildly chocolate in taste (I would have preferred more), with a mild to medium nic hit, but too much Oriental for my tastes. Smokes relatively cool and without bite. 3 stars.

Pipe Used: Stanwell Featherweight Poker

Age When Smoked: Fresh from pouch.

Purchased From: 4Noggins

dzacca Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dzacca (8)

A classic blend. Often recommended for beginners, but I actually think you need to acquire some smoking skills before you can fully appreciate it.

It's one of my favorite tobaccos, a great all-day smoke made from a nice blend.

Pipe Used: Brebbia Savana 601, MM Legend

Age When Smoked: Couple of months

Oppenheimer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Oppenheimer (2)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

One of my first Tobacco. Was not disapointed. The Burley gives it a nice chocolate tone. Round finish. As some of you mentionned before, it fits in the "all day smoke" class (price / value / can be found basically everywhere). Sure there is some way better Tobacco around, but you should give it a try (especially for new smokers). People around me told me the smell was nice. For me, it is time to conquer new lands.

Pipe Used: Peterson #306

Age When Smoked: Brand new

Purchased From: J.E. Giguère

THE-GYPSY-SMOKER Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
THE-GYPSY-SMOKER (3)
Medium None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Strong

dont always believe reviews on the internet.no two ppl have the same taste either as i learned that the hardway by wasting money on this blend witch sells for close to a wopping 30$! up here in canada as ppl in the us refer to this as drugstore tobacco. in toronto we stopped tobacco sales at pharmacies and grocery stores back in the mid 90s so here its considered rare to even find capin black bokarum erinmore or amphora and they all sell for 30$ no matter what for a 50g pouch that costs you 5$ or 6$ so you can imagine that means top shelf stuff costs us between 60$ to 80$!...so back to my reveiew if your into tobacco that tastes like cigarettes this is for you. mainly amarican smokes that smell and tastes like cigars like marbs cams and winston here are smokes dont taste like that.everytime im about to try a new tobacco for the first time i use a unused mini cob to get the full flave and then i will try it a 2nd time in a proper pipe.. on the false char it tasted like pure chemicals on the true light it smelled and tasted like cigar smoke with a strange blast of spicyness it burned super fast and scolding hot i could barley hold the bowl and it stated to gurgle right away i also tasted a hint of sour this made me not want to try the other versions like the cognac one

Pipe Used: corn cob mini and a peterson billiard

Purchased From: smok and variety shop

Similar Blends: marlbaro reds cigarettes.

Alessandro Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alessandro (12)

One of the first tobaccos I tried. Great mild smoke, with a slight chocolate flavouring. It's a great all day tobacco that won't disappoint but won't blow you away either. Good to have around when you're in the mood.

Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

A good tobacco for someone looking for a lightly flavoured tobacco. It has a nice chocolate and walnut flavour that is rather discreet. For the rest, it tastes like pure tobacco. Original Blend is great for an all day smoke for anyone that wants a no nonsense tobacco.

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (183)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Is almost tasteless, not so strong. For me is Flat,but is a good quality product. Agreable for novices in pipe smoking.

NedF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NedF (22)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Tolerable

A little bit nutty, buttery and chocolate-y, but overall terribly uneventful. I see a couple that to enjoy this, but I can't think of any reason to ever buy it again.

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)

TO JONNYNAILS: AN EQUIVALENT OF GITANES IN PIPE TOBACCOS ARE SEMOIS TOBACCOS (BELGIUM) AND THE "GRIS CUBES" AVAILABLE IN FRANCE.

Merven the Great Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Merven the Great (18)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

What can I say? you get what you pay for...This smells better than it smokes in fact I think it smells like old tobacco used to smell like (burning and in the pouch)- cedar log cabin with a brandy in one hand and pipe in the other. It packs, burns and smokes well but left me wanting more. I have a liking for cavendish which is easy to see spot here so you can pick the tobacco flavoring for each pipe to make this mix more interesting (if you could be bothered?). I have half packed the pipe a few times and folded Erinmore Virginia Flake to top it off for something different, that's pretty good. Handy for a "in case of emergency break pouch tobacco" and very easy to get.

tpatriarche Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tpatriarche (27)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Pleasant

Surprised this old standard hasn't had a review already ... maybe we just take it for granted. Back in my sweet-lovin' younger days, I used to buy Amphora Green, or Special Black for preference. Haven't tried the Original in decades, but I was in a drugstore with a selection of about 2 tobaccos ... well, you know how it goes....

A pleasant surprise. In the package the scent was mild & agreeable, not too much of the characteristic Amphora flavour, with a subtle topnote that reminded me of new-mown grass (mint??), giving it a fresh smell. I could smell the Virginia, but according to the manufacturer, Burley predominates (chocolatey???) - which suits my taste. I couldn't detect a chocolaty taste, but then straight air-cured Burley doesn't taste chocolaty to me either. A little dry, but then it had probably been on the shelf for 2 years.

Enjoyable smoke, stronger than I remember other Amphora blends being. That may have been partly because it was dry & fast-burning. Good even burn to the bottom, almost no gummy dottle left. Easy on the tongue, typical of a good Cavendish. Room note pleasant, primarily straight tobacco, not heavily scented.

Technically Cavendish can be completely unflavoured (although I've never found one that is); this comes fairly close. More for the experienced smoker than the beginner, I think. I would buy it again, although I'll probably use what's left for some home blending.

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (170)

I have smoked Amphora OB (formerly Regular) a certain number of times in my long smoking life, never for itself but just because it is one of the few blends available in Italy - together with Italia and, in a smaller measure, Skandinavik Regular - good for house blending. The mixture Dunhill 965 + Amphora Regular (50/50) was a true classic back in the seventies, just as Sobranie Original Mixture + Italia (50/50) was too. Both good ways to reduce the considerable cost of smoking the expensive english mixtures of the time.

OB smoked alone belongs to the family of the regular/continental blends based on the triad VaBKy with occasional presence of Orientals (whose quality and origin who knows ?) or so-called Tropicals (Java, Paraguay or african weeds): a very balanced pout-pourry of many weeds, Burley being the main component. Very good to start new pipes because the non-characterization of the blend.

The smoke: not bad. A mild-to-medium strength mix of thin ribbon and ready rubbed, nutty/earthy with initial faint floreal notes, and some pleasant sourish effects to the tongue. Occasionally salty and piquant. To the nostril only tobacco aroma, I frankly don't detect any flavouring, not even the chocolatey one the pouch notes speak of. The body develops from refreshing to stouter, and sometimes makes me think of the current Three Nuns Original, just in milder way. The burning behaviour is very much good. Seems to me that OB benefits from larger bores.

A nice surprise indeed. OB is something no pipster should miss to taste in his life, and one of the best OTC blends available worldwide.

Rob73 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rob73 (70)

One of the most popular blends. The reason? It's the right choice for a novice, it's an aromatic but not too sweet and not so boring and also it has a good and intriguing flavour after the first third of smoke. You have to smoke it very slowly to appreciate it. 3,0/5 in my personal rating system.

Purchased From: New Smoke, Milano (Italy)

Cicero1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cicero1 (2)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Recently moved to an area without a tobacconist, this was one of the few blends offered at a variety store, so I figured I'd give it a try. Within the first few bowls I was amazed, and I intend to continue purchasing this blend.

There's a mild cocoa flavouring which is enjoyable but not overpowering. The tobacco burns fairly cool, and doesn't require much tamping in order to remain lit. I've also never received tongue bite, even when first testing this in unfiltered briars. There's a lasting aftertaste which is pleasant.

I've smoked this around non-smokers, and there were never complaints about the smell.

AcworthAl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AcworthAl (33)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Amphora Original I have not smoke this for 40 years. Thanks to Tobacco Reviews (really a great web site) I purchased two packs. Tried a pipe full in a reversed calabash a Curvy what a great smoke really wonderful and a change of pace from some of the Vapers I have smoked. Tobacco Reviews has be an incredible find it has increased my knowledge of pipe tobacco and the balance of the debit card. Thanks for the great work you and your reviews do.

Pipe Used: Curvy

Age When Smoked: New out of tin

Purchased From: smoking pipes.com

Carlo1986 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Carlo1986 (16)

The composition is Cavendish (at least, 50%), Burley (25%), Oriental (10%), Virginia (10%) and Kentucky (5%). The most intense aromatizants are cocoa and ripe fruit (maybe apple or drupe). It's a very widespread mixture, and you can find it everywhere (recommended if you like apple, drupe and cocoa, at the same time).

Pipe Used: Many briars

Purchased From: local tabacconist

Similar Blends: Mac Baren - Original Choice.

Junkyard Dawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Junkyard Dawg (82)

I cannot believe I will say this, because Mac Baren makes this tobacco, but this is vile tobacco. It is harsh, it smokes hot and leaves a disgusting aftertaste in my mouth. I bought the Full Aroma as well and will not even attempt to try it. When I think I have 4 pouches of Black Cavendish on the way that I ordered last week...No more pouched tobaccos for me. I'll stick to my tins.

IanTimothy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
IanTimothy (8)

My brother gave me a pouch of this after his last visit to Holland..It reminds me of a strong but very high quality cigarette tobacco..I would not buy it but I will finish the pouch..Its a steady burner..the flavour as I have already said remind me of cigarettes.. I cannot say I dislike it..but it does not have the sweetness I like..as I have said in my other reviews I am a real fan of FVF ..as such I tend to judge other tobacco's from that "marker' it burns steadily and not hot ..and it does not change its flavour if you have to relight it mid pipe ..Nothing more to say about this weed..only to thank my brother for buying it for me

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (122)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

As far as I know, this blend is no longer available in the U.S. The last time I had a pouch of it, it was still blended by D & E. It tasted very similar to the current Skandivic Full Aroma. It didn't have any negative aspects except, to my taste, it was a bit bland. It was certainly better than most of the common "drug store" brands.

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

The original manufacturer's mixture was excellent. This was pure tobacco at its best.

Imperial Tobacco has changed the recipe for the worse. This is not what it used to be.

Old Northern Smoky Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old Northern Smoky (33)

Another Van Nelle-licensed product. Years ago when I first started pipe smoking this was my regular brand, but the blend has changed somewhat since those days when it was a true D&E product.

Available in the 50 gram pouch and 200 gram "can" in Canada.

I recall the D&E pouch aroma was very earthy.....now I detect what smells to me like a light rum topping, though nothing but tobacco in the room note. Carefully packed because it is rather coarse, it lights and smokes well in a small bore as long as you keep it tamped, with just one match.

The first half bowl smokes dry and smooth, but its character gets a bit aggressive on the tongue and back of throat in the last half. Best to puff on this slowly and lightly. Smoking this on its own is something I seldom did way back when, and something I seldom do today.....even less so with this modified baccy.

While I always keep this blend on hand, I use it to add some burley body to my black and gold cavendish blends. Smokes nicely mixed 25/75 with Captain Black Royal...which takes the nip out of both but gives a nice mellow smoke and a pleasant, but less intense room note as a bonus.

A D&E Original Blend, its not, so if you're expecting to relive the Amphora brown experience of yesteryear, forget it! But if you want a rather mellow smoke for at least the first half bowl, or want to add some burley body to another blend go ahead and give it a go.

Boswell Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Boswell (9)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I picked up a pouch of this on holiday in Italy recently -- it doesn't seem to be available here in the UK. It's a pleasant tobacco, milder than, say, St Bruno; burns slowly; doesn't seem to bite; has nice nutty flavour with just a hint of topping. A relaxing smoke.

Ghost1974 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ghost1974 (10)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Good times! This was the first blend I ever tried, I bought it the same day I bought my first pipe. I had no clue. I bought the pipe because I liked how it looked and it was cheap, and I bought Amphora Regular because the guy at the counter asked me if I wanted to pick up some tobacco and I blurted out "Amphora" since I remembered an old commercial for it, and "Regular" since it was the first pouch I spotted behind the counter.

The taste is mild, and it burns relatively well. Thankfully I enjoyed it enough to stick with the pipe, it really led me to explore the hobby deeper. I will eternally be grateful to Amphora for it...but you still only get two stars!

Worth a try.

Alguhan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alguhan (140)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

It's an old friend Like Amphora Full Aroma. It's better than smoking candy sweet stuffs when you are not able to find something else. Or maybe it would be interesting to smoke a bowl of this in the memory of old days.

Fortunately I have possibilities to smoke better tobaccos.

Steden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steden (93)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Abstract: This review is based on the mixture called Original Blend. On the envelope are shown as components Burley, Cavendish and Orientals. As I said in my review about Park Lane N.7 by comparing the two tobaccos, AOB has a certain elegance, but lacks depth. The aroma and flavor is slightly nutty and chocolate, may remind the Gianduja. Nothing unpleasant, but the taste is as exciting as a harpsichord concert! This tobacco is often used in "home mixtures" as stabilizing strength and aromas. Excellent for "breaking" of a new pipe.

suicune Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
suicune (23)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium Very Pleasant

This, along with Full Aroma, is the best version of Amphora. It is cheap and easily found, so you don't have to search far and wide to find this (at least here, in Romania). The cut is almost like the Full Aroma, and the lenght of the tobacco makes it a little hard to fill a pipe, but not too hard. I couldn't detect any aroma in it, so I will put it more in the category of natural tobacco, with no chemicals in it. It isn't strong, so it is an excellent choice for beginners. But be warned, you need a lot of patience to smoke this one to the bottom, especially if you have a large bowl pipe. For me, it took one and a half hour to smoke it. It doesn't bite the tongue and it burns very dry, even though the tobacco is a little wet in the pouch. The room smell it is almost identical to Full Aroma. It is a good tobacco and recommended for every smoker. You can try this and I guarantee that it is not a waste of money.

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Pleasantly surprised with this one (called Original Blend here) given to me by a newbie who didn't much care for it. Very nice gentle casing on this one, fruity and floral. But quite subtle with a good natural baccy taste. Only a hint of chemical taste. The burley is well used in the blend, popping up now and then. Less bite than a MacB, even cheaper here in Holland than MacB (it is a Dutch baccy, although I suspect made in Denmark these days). One of the more natural tasting packets I've had for a while.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I smoked this for years and am still looking for a replacement. If anyone ever finds one, please, please contact me as I would love to try it. This is an almost natural tobacco and a mix of Burley and Virginias in a thin cavendish cut that stays lit easily and can be smoked all day long. It has a great room note that noone, I mean noone ever complained about. It has a sweet nutty taste and a good n hit. Unfortunately they no longer import into the US! Don't you hate it when your all day blend cannot be had anymore? Cakes the bowl well and burns down to a powdery grey ash.

Great stuff!

smokerings86 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokerings86 (4)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Upon opening the pouch the smell was not exactly aromatic, more pungent like inexpensive cigars. The tobacco on the dry side but packed well. The burn was even and burn through with one tamping and re-light. A little tongue bite, I attribute to the dryness it burned quick and hot. Flavours were mellow notes of nutmeg and vanilla with some bitterness near the end. I may abandon the last 40g because its now has the moisture level of shredded news print and the taste following quickly. I imagine this is more a problem with freshness, I bought the pouch at a corner store in a pinch. I would try another pouch if I knew it was fresh and stored well.

Sasquatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sasquatch (74)

I don't quite think that this is 4 star tobacco, but it is definitely worth a try. Like Casper, I am smoking the "Canadian" version, pouch saying Amphora Original, and coming apparently out of the Netherlands.

cut is rough shag, fairly fine, with a bit of very fine mixed throughout. Lighting and keeping lit couldn't be easier, and you can really puff on this without it biting, or even heating up the pipe much - a very good choice for a beginner.

Smooth and rich, just a little spice, but not much. I kind of wonder if just a little chocolate flavoring is added.

Very good with a cup of tea for sure. Or even a root beer. Undemanding tobacco and a classic. It's too bad the Imperial Tobacco version seems to be a dud.

Casper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Casper (22)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

First off, the brown "regular" pouch in Canada and Holland is sold as "Original Blend". It is also described on the pouch as, "A well-rounded blend, emphasising the chocolately flavour of burly tobacco". When I first tried this a year ago I found it bland- strike that- tasteless! A recent return trip to Holland changed my mind though. I decided to try it again as another reviewer here mentioned the Dutch version to be better. He was right. Wonderful creamy/chocolatey aroma and flavour. Easily lit, no tongue bite regardless of puffing rhythm and just a wonderful tobacco to enjoy with a cup of Dutch coffee. On my return home I decided to try the "Canadian" version and found it to be just as satisfying and an equally good partner to a cup of Earl Grey. A comparison tobacco would be Mac Baren's London Blend Burly which, in contrast to everyones glowing review, I find to be a distant second. Perhaps the blend has changed or perhaps I have - regardless it has become a personal favourite.

addendum 2007: still the tobacco I smoke every morning - see pipe master Rolando Negoita's brief bio on the web and please reconsider - truly a wonderful smoke with a regular Timmy's eh!

addendum 2008: I smoke a lot of different blends....I still think this is a quality tobacco and have introduced it to several pipers who never would have tried it, (and they liked it). I've yet to find a "dry" pouch in the, (dare I say), several hundred I've purchased. This is a "diamond in the rough" tobacco believe me.

Guyrox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Guyrox (131)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Amphora Regular is a large cut, broken flake that smells like plain, pure tobacco smell. Somehow, it reminds me of Drum cigarette tobacco, but on the sweeter side.

Being the traditional danish/Dutch cavendish blend, it's rather on the dull side of things. But the bakkie is still a nice one.

It needs some rubbing out before filling; lighting is easy and it's not hard to maintain; it doesn't require a lot of attention. It smokes dry, I'll give it that.

It is a nice tobacco, it's just that it lacks that little kick in taste and nicotine, but it might prove too strong for beginners.

However,it really builds up a new pipe nicely...

Ducksbreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ducksbreath (103)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

Update: The new version I bought stateside is not near as strong as the sample I had 10 years ago. However, it is very bland, and the full aroma version does not have the same fruity topping as I remember. So I'm not going to upgrade the rating.

Extremely bitter and tasteless with a suprising dose of nicotine, like a cigarette. I can't believe the old stuff was like this, but I don't remember. The full aroma version masks this bitterness and is one star better, but I can't believe this is the same as the tobacco that used to be so popular, which when available I never really tried.

giturra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
giturra (31)
Very Mild None Detected Very Mild Tolerable

This is a very mediocre tobacco, dull, monotone, flavorless, I think it might br used to tone down or mix up other tobaccos with it. otherwise, pass it by,not even for begginers ,I think you're better off with Captain black if you are a begginer. Not disgusting, but I'm not buying any of this stuff ever again.

fatherDougal Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fatherDougal (28)
Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

I didn't expect much from such a tobacco, and I wasn't disappointed. Bland, dry and dusty is how I would enshrine this pipe load... however, it didn't spoil my pipe, it didn't chase away loved ones, and it made me want to smoke something GOOD right after. I'm so cheap that perhaps I'll use it as padding with some heavily-flavoured concoction. It might lend itself to some vanilla highlights.

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)
Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

Amphora used to produce some rather nice aromatics once upon a time. I remember with affection their Golden Cavendish and the Full Aromatic in the red pouch. The brown pouch - both as Regular and Original - is disappointing. My memory of it was of a clean tasting tobacco with some meat to it. The present incarnation, though it burns well, is hardly worth the bother of smoking on its own. It is useful, though, for extending or taming other blends.

Hemlock Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hemlock (59)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Judging by the reviews over the years, this is one tobacco that has changed over the years, and may well be subject to batch variability even today (it's a wonder than any blend can stay the same year over year being a natural product, let alone the mfg. processes). I suspect that the pouch I tried is characteristic of its current form which, in summary is not an aromatic cavendish at all. I tried this as Amphora Original Blend, here in Canada. Apparently a Dutch blend (judging by the address of the mfr.), so I cannot say if this is the Imperial tobacco version or not. The texture is very nice being a sort of ribbon/shag mixture with a perfect moisture level. I have now smoked several bowls with a singe light.

The pouch describes this as a blend that emphasized the chocolatey flavour of burely, but I taste nothing like chocolate. This is very much unlike a cavendish blend, with no casing or blackened pressed leaf. The pouch aroma is very much like a rich roll your own cigarette tobacco, such as Drum or Van Nelle. Though the pouch description suggests an exotic smoke with its Oriental, Virginia and Kentucky components, it is in fact very plain in flavour. I cannot discern the Oriental component, and the Virginia is not exceedingly sweet or tangy. The room note is fairly smokey, nicer than a cigar, but no crowdpleaser either. The strength is around an HPH 1.5, surprisingly since I had expected more.

If you are accustomed to plain flavoured tobacco with little or no distinct character and like plain burley and virginia blends this is for you. I could see this as a staple blend for seasoned smokers, who may get this at the local smoke shop amongst two or three other "drugstore" blends. If you're looking for an aromatic, try the Full Aroma (red). Although I have enjoyed this pouch for its true tobacco character, I will likely not be buying this again since it is scarcely a step above mediocre in the realm of natural blends.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a classic among the first tobaccos for new pipesmokers. It's easy to pack and smoke, it doesn't bite the tongue, not moist, a perfect beginner's blend. Later on, it can be very useful for home blending purposes, it's a good base for its nice body and little aroma: mixed 50/50 with latakia it becomes a nice smoke, though not complex at all. I've also found it useful to damp a little those tobaccos with an overwhelming casing.

I don?t know what happened to this one! In its original Dutch D&E version it used to be a very smooth, flavoursome smoke, combining Burleys, Orientals and Virginias in a Cavendish blend. It had a certain taste of dark, unsweetened chocolate (very mild), redolent of those Dutch cigars made with leaf from Java, or of dark, expresso roasted coffee beans. It was a very stable and reliable smoke: nothing out of the ordinary, but very nice in mid afternoon or even in early morning. It went off the market for a while, and has now resurfaced under an English firm (Imperial Tobacco). Well, they have done something very strange out of this blend. In the pouch the aroma has changed. It does smell of natural tobacco, but the spiciness has gone. It now has a scent similar to cigarette tobacco. Upon lightening, the first few puffs yield a flavour only vaguely reminiscent of the Dutch version. Then, somehow, the whole thing starts burning hot (even if you puff slowly and carefully), and it develops a very unpleasant bitterness. Suddenly, whatever flavour there was, dissipates and you are left only with smoke. No character, no zest, no depth. Just smoke. Perhaps a cigarette smoker trying to pick up a pipe might find this a kind of transitional tobacco.

__________ Addendum (Feb'05): I don't know if the people at Imperial Tobacco read these pages, or if my palate has become so jaded I don't distinguish flavours any more, but the recent pouches I have bought of Amphora Regular seem to be more in line with the original D&E blend.

There is still a mysterious bitter agent there, that tends to spoil the Oriental- Virginia interplay (maybe a cheap Burley?), but somehow the flavour and consistency of the blend have been brought up a notch, making it more palatable and closer to its old self. Who knows? Maybe the blenders at Imperial Tobacco are finally getting it right! In any case, due to my recent experience with this old favourite, I am upgrading my perception of what could still be a very good natural tobacco.

The Keeper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Keeper (112)

I enjoy trying various kinds of blends for reference - even if I am fairly sure I won't like them.

That is the approach I took when lighting up a sample of Amphora brown that passed my way recently.

All in all not a bad aromatic smoke - likely a better option than many over the counter cavendish soup blends you could find. Probably a good option for someone who wants a light, flavorful chocolate/vanilla flavored blend without much complexity. A bit of burley and VA taste but not even as much tobacco essence as say - Deep Hollow. Nice to try, but my tastes just lean so heavily towards natural tobacco flavors that I'm not interested in testing Amphora Regular any further.

provguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
provguy (52)

I have just tried Amphora Regular for the 1st time and I kind of like it. It doesn't fit in with the other baccys that I typically smoke but it is mild and lights easily and stays lit. Has a pleasant though mild taste and easily an all day type blend. I think I will keep some around. 31/2 stars ===============update===============

I have had several bowls now and continue to enjoy this mild but somewhat flavorful Dutch blend. There is definitely a place for this baccy for me.

DUPE.629 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Extremely Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

October-2003. Amphora Regular (Brown) Out of curiousity I tried this again and why I bothered,I dont know. This time was even worse,very close to smoking pure air with absolutely no flavour. The only plus to this is,it was easy to light. Totally lacking everything. 1 out of 10.

Cassutt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cassutt (1)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

I'm no tobacco expert, but I kind of like this stuff. It's a staple for me, probably because I got a lot for free (There's a story there, but I won't bother with it). It doesn't have much flavor too it, but the flavor it does have is pleasant. Being a new smoker, I find it hard to keep some blends lit, but for some reason, this particular blend only requires one lighting (A good thing in my book). Anyone who likes strong, full flavored English blends will be turned off, but for a novice pipesmoker, it's certainly tolerable.

pop-pop's pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pop-pop's pipe (96)
Mild to Medium None Detected Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Amphora Red without the flavoring. Good but a little bland and tiring. Not as good as Amphora Red.

ruffinogold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ruffinogold (103)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

I havent had it in awhile though I remember it to be a straight burley flavor that had a touch of spice that I loved.It burned dry which was nice .Alittle nutty and at the time available.I miss this blend. Though Skandinavik regular is similar it's not the same . Skandinavik will leave a pipe stinky. I dont remember this blend having any cavendish . I remember it to be a ready rubbed burley that I smoked in the 80's and into the 90's a bit . People say virginia and cavendish with regards to this blend and it confuses me . Maybe there is va and cavendish in it ..... but it tasted like a straight ahead burley to me ......... and thats a damn good thing . It must have changed since the 80's cause this was no way a ribbon cut when I smoked it and it was void of any added flavoring

Pipe Used: Mediun sized chambered pipes

Age When Smoked: Fresh from the pouch

Purchased From: OTC

Similar Blends: Similar to other straight ahead burley blends .. just not as refined as say MB GE but more refined than SWR.

LoisKelly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LoisKelly (55)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

In my waltz down memory lane, I figured this one to be a sure hit. What happened? The difference between the Amphora of old and the modern iteration is significant, to say the least.

Ouch!

Gae Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gae (46)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Well it has been a few year's since I smoked this. So "WHAT HAVE THEY DONE TO IT"????????????? I puffed & puffed & puffed & even smoked it different pipe's as well. Just to make sure it wasn't me!!! It was almost like smoking fresh air! And I couln't seem to get hardly any taste out of it at all! There's nothing even familiar about the way it was year's ago!!! It might be ok for a "VERY Timid" new comer to pipe smoking,but I'll never bother with this again.There's just nothing to add. I'll give it 1 star out of 4 only because it's easy to light.

Skilling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skilling (80)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

I found this stuff on a country store shelf. I had to blow and wipe the dust off the package. The tobacco was somewhat dry.

Upon smoking, it reminded me of Skandinavik Regular (a tobacco I smoke somewhat regularly).

A dominate burley blend with a little VA. Nothing real special with this blend but could be a working/fishing smoke.

Better then the candy smokes. Offers more then most straight burley blends.

I'd like to find a fresher pack of this.

Very Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Seeing Skilling's review of Amphora Regular reminded me of when I started smoking this blend 25 or 30 years ago. I ordered several packages of Amphora from the Dan Tobacco catalog a year or so ago and the flavor sure seemed less impressive than what I remembered. Then I read Tantric's review and understood why. I did not know the blender had changed.

Like many of today's staples that have undergone subtle changes due to the recipe being recreated by different blenders, Amphora Regular is indeed not what it used to be. A hot burning, mild sort of mostly burley with a smidgen of virginia, AR does not light my fire.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Appearance: A typical Dutch ?Cavendish?, possibly best described as a coarse shag. Mostly medium brown with a few darker traces visible.

Aroma: Very straight-forward Burley/Virginia blend with no traces of Oriental leaf to my nose. Also litle or no traces of added scents or flavors.

Packing: The blend was easy to pack in every pipe that I tried, from Peterson Barrels to large billiards.

Lighting: In keeping with the cut, it took flame readily, hardly needing a charring light. Mostly one match and go.

Initial flavor: A fairly light taste, but interesting. Mostly a slightly bitter, nutty taste from the Burley, a sweetness from the Va. In the background. Mostly stayed in the middle range, no highs or lows.

Mid-bowl: Still a plain honest flavor, with little complexity or layering. Cool enough if not smoked rapidly, and no trace of gurgle.

Finish: Again, not much change at the bottom. Also not much dottle, if any.

Summary: A good all-day smoke if you like lighter blends. It does not need your full attention, so may be smoked while working on other tasks, even outdoors. Definitely good quality, way above average for Dutch blends.

jesse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jesse (9)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Strong

Amphora Brown is a favorite of many people, but I gave my can of it away. While the room-note was quite pleasant, I found the flavor to be basically pretty flat. The not entirely unpleasant casing domainates strongly and does flavor the pipe. Unfortunately, the underlying tobacco flavor was barely there. This tobacco smoked fairly wet and was prone to be a touch agressive.