Consists of 65% double fermented black cavendish from East Africa, Italy, India, and Brazil. 25% of the mixture is golden Virginia and the last 10% is nutty burley. Real dry California chardonnay have been added together with flavors caramel, vanilla, citrus, and curacao.

BrandBorkum Riff
Strength
Taste
Very Pleasant, Pleasant
1.8

With an order, I got this free. What does PipesAndCigars have against me?

The smoke is thin, the flavor is thin. After only 3 bowls it was tossed in the bin.

The Black Cav has no depth and the Burley is weak. The Virginias refuse to come out for a peek.

Are there aro flavors? Please, do tell. It's a sweet mish-mash straight out of hell.

The flavor profile is lacking in "bass". It's mostly high notes thrown in your face.

If you pass this tin to one of your friends, that will be the day that your friendship ends.

Mild in everything. Be prepared to re-light. Be gone, foul blend. Be gone from my sight.

[DISCLAIMER: Just having fun here. I may have exaggerated the hideousness of this blend, but only slightly.]

Pipe Used: Ropp pot, MM Dwarf, MM Mark Twain

Purchased From: freebie from pipesandcigars

jedibastard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jedibastard (21)
Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Well....where can i start. It smells different, not like most aromatics, but i like it?? Kinda sweet with a tangy background.

Trying to keep this lit is almost impossible. I honestly gave up after awhile and just stopped smoking. Flavor wise. NOTHING!!! Nothing but scorching, hot, tasteless air.

I have 2 tins and i cant justify throwing away, so ill just keep them till i die or something!

canvas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
canvas (88)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

There is probably a reason pipesandcigars.com added this to my order as a thank you gift (two 3.5oz tins in fact), because nobody in their right mind would smoke this nonsense. So, I logged into tobaccooreviews.com and made a new entry just to share my displeasure (though someone else beat me to a review).

Right off the bat when you open the tin you think, "yup, this stuff smells cheap." Think cardboard that has gotten damp and full of mildew from some spilled cheap wine. There are also some notes of cherry and armpit singing in this one.

I grabbed a corncob and felt bad for the pipe which would soon suffer from the damp wad of putrid shreds I stuffed into it. It was fairly mild and tasted like a cheap gas station cigar; a wine flavored Black & Mild without the fun of gnawing on the rubber nib. To make matters worse, this garbage would not stay lit.

One tin I pawned off on a "friend" and the other was banished to the garage with all the other emergency tins, never to see the light of day.

I'm no expert by any means, but even I know this stuff is bad!

BOODOG311 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BOODOG311 (1)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I have been smoking Borkum Riff bourbon flavor, since 1965...I could never switch to another...not even the other flavored Borkum Riffs...HOWEVER..I rec. a can of the 36 N mixture with an order, and I LOVE IT...!!! I still like my Bourbon flavor, but will ALWAYS have a can of the 36 in my fridge for a " different " but very tasty smoke. Thank you for the sample can...!!! I give it a FIVE star rating, 5 being the best...

Pipe Used: Briar

Age When Smoked: 77

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

Similar Blends: Bourbon flavored, but a tad sweeter on the tongue.....

Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Not long ago I received multiple tins of the Borkum Riff limited edition blends to review and sell on my private website from a friend up in Arkansas. It took awhile to get to them because, frankly, most Borkum Riff blends and my palate get sideways with each other. These limited production blends, however, were a cut above their standard fare.

Borkum Riff went to the well with California Wine and pulled up quite a compilation of flavoring to go along with the Virginia and Burley. So many different aromatic flavors hit me at once that I wasn't sure what was what. I did find it overwhelming. This blend also burns a little hot but not wet. It was the least impressive of the three of these limited edition blends that I tried.

tradick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tradick (1)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

As with several reviewers, I received this as a freeby with an order from pipes and cigars. I'm going to be a bit more generous than the other folks and say that this isn't an awful tobacco. One can definitely tell there's wine added, and as the tin gets a bit of age on it that wine adds a sourness that is not altogether unpleasant. Yes, that may seem a bit odd but it's a sourness that adds to, perhaps even dominates, the flavor profile and I kind of like it. There's a bit of a lemon tang and a hint of grassiness here. Not an every day smoke but I find myself coming back to it a bowl or two a week. Now, this is a Borkum Riff tobacco so, yes, it will burn hot and, yes, we're not talking about the highest quality of leaf. Smoke slowly in a small bowl.

Pipe Used: cob