BriarWorks International's Sweet Tea: Brewed in the true Southern tradition. Sweet and strong, just like mama used to make it.

BrandBriarWorks International
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia
FlavoringSweet / Sugar
Packaging2.0 Tin
Strength
Taste
2.0

This ain't the way my mama used to make it. My mama never put vanilla in her sweet tea. Who does that? There is a very slight resemblance to a tea flavor, but it's hard to pick out due to the vanilla from the Black Cav. I may even be imagining it. Beats me. The Virginias make a showing with hay and a touch of citrus and I think the tea-like flavor is from the Orientals. It's hard to be sure of much here because of that damn vanilla. I hope you have better luck with this one than I did. Maybe it requires a more refined palette than my old worn out one.

Mild to medium in body. Taste is medium. Vanilla is mild to medium. Burns very well.

Pipe Used: Tsuge tankard, MM Dagner poker

Satc001 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Satc001 (66)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Recently moved to the south, so how could I resist buying a blend named "Sweet Tea" and sold in a mason jar? I'm a sucker for good marketing so I went all in.

Opened the jar and immediately noticed a sweet, sugary fragrance. I did not get the vanilla note some have mentioned. The tobacco is cut pretty fine, I think you could roll a cigarette with this easily. The moisture content is on the dry side and combined with the fine cut, this lights and burns easily. Almost too easily. A little breeze or puffing on it while I ride around on the lawn mower and it becomes hot. You must sip on this tobacco, it could bite if provoked. However, the nature off this tobacco is like some of the other C&D blends I have sampled. The tobacco seems a little fine cut, a little dry, a little rough around the edges, but it is full of flavor.

This tobacco is sweet with an herbal quality contributed by the orientals. As I smoke it, I realize that sweet tea is actually a decent description of the flavor. When I blow it through my nose, it reminds me of a fine cigarette. It has interesting flavors and a sweet tobacco aroma, but this wants to smoke hot and I have to pull back on the reigns every time I enjoy a bowl which I find to be a nuisance. Upon relight, it has an acrid unpleasant flavor. Also, I find that it leaves a harshness on the throat. No other reviewers have noted this so it may be my body chemistry, but it is enough to deter me from enjoying this.

The mason jar does not work well to pack this tobacco and I do recommend dumping it into another vessel and fluffing it up. Getting air to the blend does seem to be mellowing it out a bit. I haven't made it all the way through two ounces of this. I only want to have this about once a week. It doesn't have an every day kind of flavor and the effect it has on my throat is unpleasant. We will see if this improves over time. I find that after I enjoy a bowl of this, I think that I could have purchased three or four ounces of something that I really enjoy instead.

Venat0rCaeli Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Venat0rCaeli (2)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Ok, I've had to give this one time. When I first got it, all I could say was "interesting". I wasn't sure how I felt about it. It has a bright and grassy VA note, but the orientals do give it a tea flavor. I choose iced tea as my beverage to accompany my pipes almost always. I sweeten mine with stevia to watch the calories, so that may have some impact on the review. I did not get a "Southern Sweet Tea" flavor, but more of a slightly astringent New England iced tea. I mixed my jar with Lane BCA, let it marry for a couple of months and now I find it as a nice pace changer for occasional smoking. Try it, it may work for you. The tobacco itself is very high quality, blended by the folks at C&D.

Pipe Used: Nording semi-warden Neerup Cherrywood

dixcreek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dixcreek (91)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Working my way through the Briarworks offerings finds me at Sweet Tea. Even though it is said to be an aromatic blend, I would say that it is not in the genre of overly flavored as most aromatic blends tend to lean toward. I found this blend to made of good quality leaf, the cut ranges from chunky to shreds to flake. The condition of the blend was at a good moisture content to smoke. Flavor was slightly sweet and a spice essence from the Oriental leaf. I detected no other flavoring other than the leaf itself. As far as tasting like sweet tea, not do much, but the effect on my mouth was the same sensation I receive from drinking a good quality Oriental tea. Just guessing but maybe this is the reason for the name. I rate this at a 3 for flavor and a 4 for the C&D quality tobacco. Have smoked this for the last two days and have enjoyed it! Will be a repeat buyer. Like the Mason jar, saved me from having to jar it up myself. One suggestion if you purchase, pour contents out and fluff and mix, it will make for a better smoke.

Pipe Used: Grabow oval Belvedere