BriarWorks International's Country Lawyer: Spicy and full-bodied, this courthouse blend is sure to charm the jury with no objections. Case closed.

BrandBriarWorks International
Blend TypeCigar Leaf Based
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Cigar Leaf, Kentucky, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia
Packaging2.0 Tin
Strength
Taste
Strong
3.6

A fairly stout and tasty blend. The core of this consists of the earthy, nutty, woody, and smoky notes of the DFK, Orientals and Cigar Leaf. Those are surrounded by notes of hay and dark fruit with a fair amount of sweetness and spice. A wide array of flavors and nuances. Burns a little quick, but stays cool enough. A lovely smoke.

Body is mostly medium, but pushes the upper limit. Taste is medium to full. No added flavorings. Near perfect burn.

Pipe Used: MM Dagner Poker, Country Gentleman, Marcus

King Slender Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
King Slender (2)
Medium to Strong None Detected Mild Strong

I'm an English/Balkan aficionado (EMP, Exotique, etc.) who also enjoys the occasional cigar and wanted to try something completely different. However, I guess I just wasn't prepared for something this far out of left field.

Upon opening the jar, one is greeted by a big, natural tobacco scent; something like equal parts Hershey's Syrup and barbecue sauce drizzled over a pouch of Red Man. It's fairly strong and perhaps overly sweet, but still pleasant. And... holy St. Francis, what a change is here! No latakia!

I've smoked a pipe for many years, yet I smoke only a few times per week. So when I do, I'm fully committed to the experience and want to get the most out of it. Unfortunately, I just can't say that I enjoyed this. To my palate the flavour is almost completely dominated by a flat, heavy, mushroom-like mustiness; earthy to the point of being muddy; organic -but in the way that molds and fungi are organic. This lends a decidedly "ancient" quality to it, as one might imagine tobaccos of the 17th or 18th centuries.

...Or, perhaps it just tastes like it spent the last 350 years in a dank cellar. It completely lacked that rich softness that I've become so desirous of as an english smoker and letting it waft through the sinuses produced a decidedly dirty impression rather than the creamy, incense-like ambrosia I've become accustomed to. In any case, as a lover of strong cigars, I didn't find it to be particularly cigar-like, save for its lingering aftertaste (which is certainly not my favourite aspect of cigar smoking anyway).

Let me stress that despite my less than glowing enthusiasm, Country Lawyer is not repugnant. But as an infrequent smoker, I just can't afford to waste time with smokes that I don't personally find outstanding. This could find use as a kind of bolt-from-the-blue palate cleanser for those looking for something really different. Some may even actually enjoy it. No doubt, I'll eventually smoke the rest of it and maybe it will even grow on me. At the very least, it won't bite you at all. Looks like it's back to latakia for me.

Pipe Used: Tsuge Kaga 904

Blackhorse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blackhorse (86)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

This is unfair on my part but I wanted to get this out there...as it is based on a single bowl...so call it an "initial impression" rather than a review. This blend falls into one of my favorite genres...what I call a Turkish melange. In other words a mix of base plus condimental tobaccos, in this case VA as the base plus Turkish (likely Izmir) and Cigar Leaf. It reminds me of several John Patton blends, notably Crossroads, Oriental Dusk & Darkhorse. The VA is there in ribbon and Flake so the burn is slowed (note: very long burn with a good volume of smoke) and the flavor notes of the Turkish and Cigar Leaf play back and forth. Delightful. Slight salty flavors, a iittle sharp as opposed to round. But yes, the Cigar notes were pretty much ever present. Comes dry and burns well. Although the flavors were evident I didn't feel this was a STRONG blend in that regard. I thought the N level was medium or a bit lower. Not a blend for everyone...but for me, gangbusters. No Latakia! Loved it. Very impressed with the tobaccos used, the jar & the balanced touch. Very nice.

Pipe Used: Custom Cobra-dog.

Purchased From: 4 Noggins

Similar Blends: John Patton Oriental Dusk, Crossroads & Dark Horse..

pipercavse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipercavse (5)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Strong

As I seem to lean toward full flavor blends, this one got my attention. Nice real honest tobacco taste! It is strong but not over powering,at least for me. If you are sensitive to stronger blends, you might want to approach this one carefully at first. Also if you don't care for cigar leaf in your pipe best avoid this one. The second you open the can the first thing you smell is the cigar leaf. As I also love cigars, that is a good thing. This line of pipe tobacco is actually put out by C&D. I like the fact that it already comes in a mason jar and comes generously filled to capacity. I don't think one more shred of leaf could be fit in. This is a winner in my book. Thank you Briar Works (C&D) for producing this fine blend!

Pipe Used: Sav unfinished

Similar Blends: Good cigars.

ColinK Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ColinK (15)

Tried this stuff for the first time today. Now.... perhaps....... I am a little biased because I am actually a lawyer- but this stuff is GREAT. Very strange cut when you open the jar (love that it already comes jarred) but that weird feeling quickly passes. Right off the light- a sweet taste of what you love of the cigar wrapper. This settles in, but always remains. There is a constant sweet and smoky flavor that comes through, all the way to the bottom of the bowl. The flavor stays with you for quite some time, which is something I also love about cigars. This tobacco may require a bit of drying, but it burns smoothly and evenly. I was prepared to not like this blend for sure, just seemed kind of kitschy to me. I was dead wrong. I have every intention of loading up on this stuff and having it around. Get it.

Pipe Used: William Anderson Custom