BriarWorks International's Country Lawyer: Spicy and full bodied, this courthouse blend is sure to charm the jury with no objections. Case closed.

BrandBriarWorks International
Blend TypeCigar Leaf Based
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Cigar Leaf, Kentucky, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia
Packaging2 ounce jar
Strength
Taste
Strong

A fairly stout and tasty blend. The core of this consists of the earthy, nutty, woody, and smoky notes of the DFK, Orientals and Cigar Leaf. Those are surrounded by notes of hay and dark fruit with a fair amount of sweetness and spice. A wide array of flavors and nuances. Burns a little quick, but stays cool enough. A lovely smoke.

Body is mostly medium, but pushes the upper limit. Taste is medium to full. No added flavorings. Near perfect burn.

Pipe Used: MM Dagner Poker, Country Gentleman, Marcus

ColinK Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ColinK (15)

Tried this stuff for the first time today. Now.... perhaps....... I am a little biased because I am actually a lawyer- but this stuff is GREAT. Very strange cut when you open the jar (love that it already comes jarred) but that weird feeling quickly passes. Right off the light- a sweet taste of what you love of the cigar wrapper. This settles in, but always remains. There is a constant sweet and smoky flavor that comes through, all the way to the bottom of the bowl. The flavor stays with you for quite some time, which is something I also love about cigars. This tobacco may require a bit of drying, but it burns smoothly and evenly. I was prepared to not like this blend for sure, just seemed kind of kitschy to me. I was dead wrong. I have every intention of loading up on this stuff and having it around. Get it.

Pipe Used: William Anderson Custom

Age When Smoked: Fresh from the Jar

Purchased From: SmokingPipes.com

GabrielCRT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GabrielCRT (95)

Ive been enjoying cigar-leaf blends lately. This jar is from 2016 and has developed substantially from the first few smokes. The charring light has a rich syrupy note from the black cavendish but settles down. The musty/earthy cigar leaf is present in every puff but is complemented by the floral notes of the Izmir and woody notes of the Kentucky leaf. The Virginia is sweet and earthy. Originally I found the black cavendish out of balance in this blend but after some time in the mason jar it has evened out. It helps keep the smoke cool and adds a nice brown sugar sweetness. There's some spice to this blend with cinnamon and black pepper notes popping up now and then. Better room note than most cigar-leaf blends too. This blend really grew on me and now I'm constantly chasing that exotic cigar leaf flavor!

King Slender Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
King Slender (5)
Medium to Strong None Detected Mild Strong

I'm an English/Balkan aficionado (EMP, Exotique, etc.) who also enjoys the occasional cigar and wanted to try something completely different. However, I guess I just wasn't prepared for something this far out of left field.

Upon opening the jar, one is greeted by a big, natural tobacco scent; something like equal parts Hershey's Syrup and barbecue sauce drizzled over a pouch of Red Man. It's fairly strong and perhaps overly sweet, but still pleasant. And... holy St. Francis, what a change is here! No latakia!

I've smoked a pipe for many years, yet I smoke only a few times per week. So when I do, I'm fully committed to the experience and want to get the most out of it. Unfortunately, I just can't say that I enjoyed this. To my palate the flavour is almost completely dominated by a flat, heavy, mushroom-like mustiness; earthy to the point of being muddy; organic -but in the way that molds and fungi are organic. This lends a decidedly "ancient" quality to it, as one might imagine tobaccos of the 17th or 18th centuries.

...Or, perhaps it just tastes like it spent the last 350 years in a dank cellar. It completely lacked that rich softness that I've become so desirous of as an english smoker and letting it waft through the sinuses produced a decidedly dirty impression rather than the creamy, incense-like ambrosia I've become accustomed to. In any case, as a lover of strong cigars, I didn't find it to be particularly cigar-like, save for its lingering aftertaste (which is certainly not my favourite aspect of cigar smoking anyway).

Let me stress that despite my less than glowing enthusiasm, Country Lawyer is not repugnant. But as an infrequent smoker, I just can't afford to waste time with smokes that I don't personally find outstanding. This could find use as a kind of bolt-from-the-blue palate cleanser for those looking for something really different. Some may even actually enjoy it. No doubt, I'll eventually smoke the rest of it and maybe it will even grow on me. At the very least, it won't bite you at all. Looks like it's back to latakia for me.

Pipe Used: Tsuge Kaga 904

Ehrling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ehrling (108)

One of the VERY BEST cigar leaf blends available! If you enjoy cigar leaf as a component tobacco in a pipe blend, COUNTRY LAWYER (CL) is ABSOLUTELY NOT TO BE MISSED!! The more I smoke it, the more I like it....it's a REAL KEEPER!!

Quite simply, CL is a pipe blend that has been enhanced by the addition of cigar leaf. The cigar leaf taste and strength is similar to what you might expect in a light/medium-bodied cigar, but the hash of other tobacco components maintains this blend's pipe identity. It’s not close to what I would call “cigar-like”, but there is certainly a sufficient cigar leaf presence to have a pretty fair impact on the overall taste of the blend itself. CL is a very well-integrated Mulligan's Stew of tobaccos done in a fashion similar to a couple of other cigar leaf enhanced blends from C&D, SEERSUCKER and GUENDALOSE. And like SEERSUCKER and GUENDALOSE, Latakia is not a component tobacco. (I am just not a big fan of mixing cigar leaf and Latakia with KEY LARGO (GLP) being my sole exception to that particular argument.)

This is a blend, not a mixture; I find that the individual tobacco components can often be a little difficult to discern though they are not completely hidden from view. In particular the smoky dark-fired Kentucky, the slightly sour Turkish and the undertones of the somber Virginias make their presence known every now and again, but the cigar leaf presence is always there. CL is rather neutral in character, neither particularly sweet (though there is a hint) nor notably bitter and while nuanced, the flavor is not overly complex or complicated.

Very easy to smoke and there is a pretty fair amount of nicotine. Judicious puffing is suggested as this blend can burn pretty quickly, but it never seems to get hot or ill-tempered. REMARKABLY SMOOTH!!

NOTE: I suggest the use of a larger bowl for this blend.

Age When Smoked: Fairly fresh

Similar Blends: For my tastes COUNTRY LAWYER is most similar to SEERSUCKER (C&D).

MikeHaggarKJ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MikeHaggarKJ (22)
Strong None Detected Full Strong

Deep, rich, pure tobacco taste with a hefty nicotine punch. The powerful, spicy orientals are, to me, at the centre off this blend. It's like a camel on crack with some smokiness from the DFK. Naturally sweet from the VA, more earthy and bready than citrusy. The only downside this blend has can give you a rather unpleasant and dry aftertaste. If you're drinking something and puffing slowly it shouldn''t be a problem though. NOT an all-day smoke. Save this one for the evening or after a big meal with some drinks.

Taste remains full & varied throughout the bowl assuming you smoke slowly and don't relight an absurd number off times. Easier to spoil the taste that way than with most blends. If you burn it too hot it starts tasting way too much like a cigarette. Perfect moisture. Mostly burns evenly to gray dust but there's usually a few twigs in there (very few, doesn't ruin anything imo).

Highly recommended for fans off smokey and spicy blends. I have a theory that long time snus consumers like myself (or cigar smokers, but that goes without saying) will enjoy this more than most.

Pipe Used: Briars, meers, cobs, La Fortezza cedarwood,

Blackhorse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blackhorse (96)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

This is unfair on my part but I wanted to get this out there...as it is based on a single bowl...so call it an "initial impression" rather than a review. This blend falls into one of my favorite genres...what I call a Turkish melange. In other words a mix of base plus condimental tobaccos, in this case VA as the base plus Turkish (likely Izmir) and Cigar Leaf. It reminds me of several John Patton blends, notably Crossroads, Oriental Dusk & Darkhorse. The VA is there in ribbon and Flake so the burn is slowed (note: very long burn with a good volume of smoke) and the flavor notes of the Turkish and Cigar Leaf play back and forth. Delightful. Slight salty flavors, a iittle sharp as opposed to round. But yes, the Cigar notes were pretty much ever present. Comes dry and burns well. Although the flavors were evident I didn't feel this was a STRONG blend in that regard. I thought the N level was medium or a bit lower. Not a blend for everyone...but for me, gangbusters. No Latakia! Loved it. Very impressed with the tobaccos used, the jar & the balanced touch. Very nice.

Pipe Used: Custom Cobra-dog.

Purchased From: 4 Noggins

Similar Blends: John Patton Oriental Dusk, Crossroads & Dark Horse..

pipercavse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipercavse (5)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Strong

As I seem to lean toward full flavor blends, this one got my attention. Nice real honest tobacco taste! It is strong but not over powering,at least for me. If you are sensitive to stronger blends, you might want to approach this one carefully at first. Also if you don't care for cigar leaf in your pipe best avoid this one. The second you open the can the first thing you smell is the cigar leaf. As I also love cigars, that is a good thing. This line of pipe tobacco is actually put out by C&D. I like the fact that it already comes in a mason jar and comes generously filled to capacity. I don't think one more shred of leaf could be fit in. This is a winner in my book. Thank you Briar Works (C&D) for producing this fine blend!

Pipe Used: Sav unfinished

Similar Blends: Good cigars.

Knightsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Knightsmoker (145)

The DFK starts in the lead. It is woodsy, earthy, slightly spicy with just a hint of sweetness. The cigar leaf has a mildly sweet, smokey nuance that mainly stays in the background at the start. It does move forward as the bowl progresses as does the Turkish, which has notes of dry earthiness, some floral and herbal notes, a little musty at times with a slight hint of spice here and there. The VA's are more of a supporting role, I get a little grassy note and a hint of citrus along with a slight earthy and bready grain notes. The black cav. has that characteristic brown sugar note and to be honest, this is were I think the blend lost greatness. In fact after considering a Maduro leaf might be better suited to match the black cav. Any way, that note aside the black cav is used sparingly but seems to underscore the entire profile for me. Sipped slowly it stays in the background but if you push this a little it will take over and move to the front of the flavors. That said this is still a very good blend and I am glad that I picked up a jar of it.

Medium to Strong None Detected Full Strong

BriarWorks International - Country Lawyer.

I find this to have a lot more flavour than I expect when the blend's classed as Cigar Leaf Based. The first third's ruled by the dark fired Kentucky, this part of a bowl's too potent for me; fire cured, acrid. But after the initial part the other flavours come through. The Cigar Leaf catches up the dark fired and equals it in weight. The Virginia and Orientals are lighter than the Kentucky and Cigar Leaf for the whole bowl, and the black Cavendish may as well be absent; in fact, my jar contained hardly any black. It burns to a pure white ash but can become warm and be a little fast.

Nicotine: quite strong. Room-note: I'm not a fan.

Country Lawyer? Although there's a lot of four star reviews it's not one I'd regularly pipe. Somewhat recommended:

Two stars.