A blend of the finest North Carolina grown red Virginias, harvested in 2015, our Carolina Red Flake is a tribute to the Old Belt. Plucked straight from Carolina soil, these top-tier Virginias were all grown, thrashed, blended, pressed, and then lovingly sliced and tinned right here in the heart of old tobacco country.  Sweet, tangy, and spicy, Carolina Red Flake is both surprisingly straightforward and pleasantly complex: you'll find it's rich, deep, and earthy, with undertones of dried cranberries, orchard grass, and citrus.
 We're proud of our heritage—and we're particularly proud of this damn near perfect red Virginia flake. Enjoy!

Notes: Retail launch date: June 10, 2016; only 2,400 tins produced.

Components:

"L2DH-0-15" 100% USA FCV from 2015 D1A, D1F, D1H top grade VAs Sugar: 10.49%

6/21/2016 All 2400 tins have been recalled due to mold being found in some tins. Refunds or trades for other C&D blends are being offered.

10/31/2017 Re-released with an additional 2400 tins.

Blended ByJeremy Reeves
Packaging2oz Tin
Strength
Taste
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable
3.8
JimInks (2040)

Several 2015 North Carolina grown red Virginias are processed into a very easily broken apart flake to suit your packing preference, and for a better burn rate than what some flake blends offer. It’s very tangy, dark fruit sweet with a lot of earth, some woodiness, very mild grass, natural sugar and citrus notes, along with slightly more than mild spice. The first thing that hits you as you light up is the tangy sweetness and earth, which are the main features of the flavors. The other attributes I mentioned quickly show themselves, and remain all throughout the proceedings. The nic-hit is just a shade past being mild. The strength is just a little closer to medium than it is to mild. The taste is right at the medium level.

Not a complex product, but there’s enough variety going on to hold your interest as the flavor is fairly smooth and very consistent from start to finish. I say “fairly smooth” only because the much appreciated earth and spice continually underscores the inherently tangy sweetness of the reds. Burns at a moderate pace, cool and clean with no dull or harsh spots. Won’t bite even if pushed, though I recommend a slow cadence in order to fully savor the experience. Easily burns to ash, and requires just a few relights. Leaves a light dampness in the bowl. The tangy after taste very pleasantly lingers a little, and the room note is a little sweet. Can be an all day smoke if you wish. Think Christmas Cheer with less sugar sweetness, more earth and spice, and only a bare essence of "vinegar".

Man is this stuff good! By that it is up there with a very good Christmas Cheer and it has the edge on 5100. That is high praise.

Mine came as a mostly broken flake due to the rigors of handling. I broke up the big pieces and got a texture similar to the Amphora Red of my youth. Tin note is earthy and slightly sweet. Hydration was very good.

Smoked, there is a heavy fruit with some tart when puffed. It is slightly sweet and exhaling through the nose has some spice and a little citrus as if the heavy fruit is an orange that is a too ripe. Smoking qualities are excellent. It left a nice aftertaste.

This is a great Red Virginia. You should try it if you can get one of the 2400 tins. I know you don't buy small batch to blend, but I suspect this would rock with some perique.

If you can get some of this, do so. It's that good. If you did get some, congratulations on a smart purchase. I managed to get two tins and one went straight to the cellar for aging. The other is being smoked only in cobs because I'm a cob guy and this is special stuff.

It's well rounded with the highs, mids and lows nicely covered. There are several fruity nuances that run together making a kind of "fruit punch" flavor that's only mildly sweet and somewhat tart. In the second half these nuances get deeper, darker and a bit earthier. I find it to be very, very satisfying. It truly is some wonderful leaf. Damn shame there's so little of it.

About medium in body, maybe a shade more. Nic is also around medium. Taste is medium as well. Satisfaction is full. This one will be savored.

Edit: 6/23/16 In case you haven't heard, there have been cases of mold found in some of the tins. C&D has issued a recall of all 2400 tins and refunds or trades for other C&D blends are being offered. I have found no mold in the tin I'm smoking out of and I intend to smoke every bit of it. I opened the tin I had put in the cellar and found no mold, jarred it and put it back to age. I would recommend doing that to any that you might have in your cellar. If you find mold you can get your dough back.

Pipe Used: MM Marcus, Little Devil Cutty, Little Devil Acorn

Carolina Red, the third blend in the “Small Batch” series from C&D greets the nose with a little bit of hay and fruit. From a moisture standpoint, most will find this pipe ready straight away. I prefer tobacco on the drier side so I did dry it for a few short minutes. In the pipe, my first puff was more of hay than tangy red Virginia, but it very quickly settled into one of the more interesting Red Virginia blends that I have smoked in some time. There is some tang, but not as tangy as some of the McClelland red VA’s. There is an ample amount of sweetness along with a tart undercurrent. The flavor is “richer” and deeper than many newly tinned red Virginias out there. The combination of sweet and tart really makes for an outstanding blend. There is more complexity in this blend than others in this genre too. The fruitiness becomes bolder as each bowl progressed as did the spice level. CRF burns cool with no acidity or bite. I don’t have any C&D blends in my regular rotation. But these small batch blends have all been outstanding and CRF is another great one in this series. It’s too bad that it appears there isn’t enough leaf to make some of these standard offerings. Congrats to C&D on another winner!

p120d16y Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
p120d16y (18)

Just after the first bowl I immediately knew this is the best tobacco I've packed in a pipe. It's just pure top notch red Virginia bliss. Perfect moisture content right from the tin. Perfect brittle red, loose flakes. The only thing I differ on from what Jim notes is that it is fairly complex. Tangy sour notes of toasted bread, bright notes of citrus, and a sweet natural mellow toasted sugar flavor throughout if sipped slowly. About half way through the bowl it picks up in spice and dark fruit sweetness combined to make for a more and more added perique-like peppery plum as you continue down the bowl. Some are saying use a small pipe. I disagree. Use varying larger sized bowls to get the spice and dark fruit flavor towards the middle-end. This is a sublime smoke. I was fortunate to snag several tins to cellar a few away and smoke a couple. This will age so wonderfully it's a crying shame only 2,400 tins were made. It burns very uniform and slowly. A large bowl burned away for me for well over 2 hours with a slow cadence.

Pipe Used: Merkur 2000 volcano (briar)

Age When Smoked: New and fresh

Similar Blends: SmokingPipes.

Blain407 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blain407 (1)

This is a superb red Virginia flake. I prefer it to 40th anniversary which is definitely saying something considering how good that blend is. C&D has really made something special with this blend. IMHO this stuff is on par with esoterica Virginias. In fact English blending houses don’t have a comparable blend so one could say that this might be one of thee best red Virginia flakes in the world right now. On to the description...like others have said it has a lovely sweetness with a slight tart undertone. When I retrohale I get a wonderfully smooth tanginess that tickles the nostrils. Every bowl has been better than the previous. I’ve found that the flavor is so bright and fruity that one can’t ignore it. It forces one to pay attention to the delicious flavors of citrus fruit and sometimes a sweet wine like note that is ever so tasty. It burns like a dream and needs a below average number of relights. Only drawback is the availability. I was lucky enough to snag 2 tins to try it and immediately regretted not purchasing more. If you see this tin on a shelf in your local tobacconist PICK IT UP!

Pipe Used: 1930’s Kaywoodie meerschaum

Age When Smoked: Less than two weeks from being tinned

Purchased From: Smoking pipes and uptown’s in Nashville

Similar Blends: Mcclelands 40th anniversary...only better.

michaelc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
michaelc (37)

Very good tobacco! I found this flake to be an exceptional tobacco. The tin note is grass and fruit. It is ready to smoke from the tin and is easily rubbed out. It lights easily and burns very well. It is a sweet smoke and satisfying. I bought this because smokingpipes sent me an email and I responded immediately. If you can get a tin, do it. You will not be disappointed if you are able to get some.

Pipe Used: Big bore briars

Age When Smoked: 1 month

Similar Blends: McClelland 40th Anniversarhy.

Mild None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

The good news for my pipe club was that a fellow member who is in love with all these small batch C&D blends brought a tin to our meeting. Further good news, no mold! Nice Virginia broken flake and C&D did not lie when they said it came from a special grade of Virginia. Subtle, sweet and smooth. I really liked this one and had to battle some of my other club members (but only the old ones that were littler than me) for a second bowl.

the_dalai_lama_himself Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
the_dalai_lama_himself (39)

This was good before I returned it. Had no mold but my buddy wanted to return his 10 tins. Red virginias were pleasant with earthiness, tangy sweetness, woodsiness and fruit.. some decent starting age to the tobacco but not anything special.. certainly not much older than most tins you can find at b&m' that have sat for a few years.. perfect 4 star blend no, so I'm giving it a 2.9. Don't want ppl thinking this was some mythically good blend or anything. C&D flakes are real messy btw, wish they could fix that bc they're my favorite producer of tobacco other than SG whose flakes are perfect.