The finest quality Virginia and burley without any added flavour.

BrandKendal
Manufactured ByGawith Hoggarth
Blend TypeVirginia/Burley
CutShag
Packaging25/50g Pouch
Strength
Medium, Strong
Taste
Medium, Medium to Full
Pleasant, Tolerable

Kendal - Rodeo Shag.

I wasn't expecting R.S. to be this good. I bought this along with a few other strictly 'budget' blends out of curiosity; how good could a blend that's been made with saving money in mind actually be? Well, this is a surprise!

I was expecting it to be a fine shag cut, but upon opening the pouch I found more of a mid-sized ribbon blend. The moisture's great, and there's not much to report about the pouch-note: a simple VaBur one.

I get my Pete' lit and straight away think to myself how this would cost a lot more money if it were from a company like Peterson or Sam Gawith ; it's better not to think about how much Davidoff would charge! The flavour's great: the Burley seems to be of a lot higher standard than the word 'Budget' suggests. In all fairness, I can taste a far higher proportion of the Burley in comparison to the Virginia: that's not bad though, it's a wonderful nutty/toasty taste.

The nicotine's around medium, and the room-note's exactly as you'd expect from a VaBur!

A good smoke for 6 quid!

Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Peterson Standard System #303

Purchased From: Black Swan U.K.

thesmoggypipester Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thesmoggypipester (47)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

For a straight up virginia/burley/firecured tobacco with no added favouring this is a pretty marvellous tobacco and one I can happily live with.

Opening the pack it is a little moist but it doesn't take long to air out and I find with this the drier the better, co tents are as described above.

Packing and lighting are the utmost ease and although it is a quick smoke it is a satisfying one as it is deceptively stronger than it looks.

Like I have saod the drier this tobacco is I find the better it gets the natural flavours are actually amplified And it is just a simple no nonsense smoke. It doesnt change very much during the smoke, sweetness and smokeyness here and there with a nice nuttiness from the burley.

If you treat this right and smoke slowly it is very rewarding and satisfying and one I can't see me getting bored with.

On a final note, i think Stevie made a very good point, it does make me wonder if this was put in a tin, given some fancy blurb and manufactured by the likes of Dunhill, Mac baren or Davidoff how much more of a premium one would pay? Quite the interesting thought indeed.

4 stars.