Whether you're a traditional English mixture veteran or a new comer, you'll appreciate this blend. It offers a one-of-a-kind taste and aroma. It's serious in taste and yet so naturally sweet. I personally believe it represents an innovative tobacco blending concept and approach.

BrandSchürch
Taste
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable
2.5
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Hans Schruch groups his blends into three categories with the first being English, then Modern English and Aromatic. Unakit falls into the Modern English category. It arrives on the dry side and pipe ready. The pouch scent is wonderfully sweet and smoky. It packs with ease and like all of the Schurch blends, it is made of high quality tobacco. As a lover of Schurch blends, Unakit was the first blend that didn't ring my bell. Although billed as a Modern English, the Virginia's lead the way, with an underlying sweetness from the unflavored Cavendish. The Latakia is relegated to the background. Although it has unflavored Cavendish, I don't see the connection to Black Mallory in flavor as it lacks the depth of that blend. Unakit didn't bite me, but it does burn hot. I also found it to be fairly one dimensional. I have experimented with Unakit in all different bowl sizes with the same result. With so many great blends coming from Schurch, this isn't one that will be making a return to my cellar.

This one sure tasted like the IRC Gourmet English I've smoked... Maybe even a bit like Rattray's Black Mallory. Like the aforementioned blends, this Schurch Unakit is a sweet tasting blend despite the Latakia which is not nearly as smoky as I had anticipated.

I only had a few pipefuls as this was gifted to me by a fellow tobaccoreviews.com member who wanted me to sample and then review it. He said it is the finest tobacco he's ever put in his pipe. I say he needs to get out of the house more. This stuff is okay, but a little rough around the edges. I suspect the Virginia element is not quite as top shelf as it should be. Perhaps less Virginia and more oriental leaf is what is needed to smooth out the over all presentation. That's just a guess as I'd be about as good a blender of tobaccos as I am at cooking. I tried boiling water once and under cooked it.