Fox & Hound is a smooth, medium strength latakia blend with toasty red Virginia, a bit of white burley, exotic Turkish and a splash of perique for richer body and a hint of sweetness - a perfect late night bowl.

Blended ByCarl McAllister
Blend TypeAmerican
ContentsBurley, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia
FlavoringFruit / Citrus
Strength
Taste

2.9

The red Virginia offers some tangy dark fruit and earth, and forms the base for the other components. The Cyprian latakia is a minor player, adding a mild smokey, woody sweetness. The raisiny, spicy perique is just evident enough to notice. The Turkish is woody sweet, and essentially contributes as much as the perique does. The nutty, slightly sweet burley has a mild presence, and a hint of sharpness. The mild fruit topping may also include rum, and does sublimate the tobaccos a little. The nic-hit is mild. The strength is just short of the center of mild to medium, while the taste level is a step past that. Burns at a moderate pace, cool, clean and smooth, and requires few relights. Has a very consistent flavor. Won’t bite even if you push it. Leaves just a little dampness in the bowl, but no dottle. Has a pleasant after taste. An easy going all day smoke.

-JimInks

Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I was given a 2 pound bag of this a few years ago from a customer who used to own a tobacco store. I dumped a bunch in an old carter hall tub and have picked at it from time to time just finishing the same recently. I have no clue of the age of this, but he had told me it was sitting in a storage bin for about 8 or 9 years at the time. The storage was in the bag and wrapped tight with a metal wire twisted around the top. The point being, that storage was less than ideal, so this may have influenced my impressions on this one.

my first thought on this is that the moisture level is perfect. I know we have high humidity in Michigan, but all the amount of time this was left in a bag would leave me the expectation that this would be crunchy, but it was not. To me this says there must be a good amount of PG or some humectant in this blend. I don't necessarily taste a chemical taste per se, but I would agree with Jiminks that there is some topping to this one that I too found it to be fruity, maybe plum or grape. Natural leaf is not capable of attaining this sweetness on its own, so I would say the description is off.

One factor of age and storage is that I would also expect the lat to mellow and fall flat. Indeed, that was my experience. I believe a fresh batch would have a much more robust latakia taste. This may or may not be a good thing based on my tastes. I doubt I will ever know, since my two pound bag minus the generous samples I have given away is still more than I care to have in my cellar.

This blend is not bad by any means. It is an easy smoking blend that is very much like the many revelation knockoffs out there. That is to say it has that American English OTC feel to it. The fact that it has many leaf varieties does offer some different flavor profiles, but the topping, although, lightly applied is there the whole time. The burley seems to be the most pervasive flavor as there is also nuttiness that is there the whole time as well. The perique is detectable, but is applied sparingly. There is not a whole lot of smokiness, but I think this is due to the age of my supply.

On the plus side, it packs, burns and overall performs well and does not bite at all. I don't think it is bad, but I would never actually pay for any. The problem being that there are too many better alternatives out there. For my tastes, I would rather smoke C&D's Epiphany. This is also available in bulk and offers a similar flavor profile that is just more robust.

I found fox & Hound to be a very mild blend. The type of blend that when you finish a bowl, your first thought is what should I smoke next. To me, it just does not satisfy. It is probably best for mindless chores where you really don't want to think about what you are smoking and the cadence you are keeping. When you want to stay active and not be floored by nicotine.

I, personally, like a bit of body behind my smokes and that is where an epiphany, or one of the other many that C&D offers in this genres, fits the bill. So two stars for this decent blend.

Knightsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Knightsmoker (140)

So of the hand full of reviews, I find that I had a rather different experience. First, the good stuff. VA's are slightly tangy with dark fruit notes. These form a light base that are more felt in the background but do occasionally move forward with the lat. The lat. has a woody note but is only slightly smokey. The Burley is a little nutty and slightly earthy and becomes a little more forward as the bowl moves past the half way mark. The Turkish has a slight sour note. The perique is noticeable at times with a very light spice note but oddly not plumb or figs for me. All this is very mild and would make a nice morning smoke. That is if you can get around the topping/casing. It is fruity and mild which I suppose would be okay but there is a sweetener added too and it is so sweet it is cloying. The PG or whatever they used to keep the moisture level high is very present and drying time is quite long. Finally, the crowning achievement of this blend is to earn the rare claim from me that it will bite and bite it does. Smoking slow will not change this I cannot avoid it in Churchwardens nor does changing how I pack the bowl help. All these elements combine to make a smoke that makes my ask why each time I put a match to it. I have not and will not finish my sample.

Age When Smoked: ROTT

crapgame1967 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
crapgame1967 (57)

A nice english blend that will satisfy anyone who likes english blends. It has that proper smokey room note one would expect to linger and it does this quite well. There is a wonderful peppery note that is tamed ( complimented) by a sweetness that i really dont know where it comes from.I don't have the palette or knowledge to know what each tobacco brings to party,I just know that this blend has been created by someone who knows what each tobacco has to offer and knows how to properly create a work or art that I truly enjoy smoking! Highly recommended for the English lover and for someone who wants to know what a proper English should taste like!

Pipe Used: Too many to list

Age When Smoked: New to a 2 year old jar

Purchased From: P/C online

Sutliff Tobacco Company - Fox & Hound.

A course cut mixture, that had a great moisture quantity when it was first opened, and smells quintessentially English. Although it's coarse in build, the blend contains no twigs/unsmokeable pieces.

The burn from Fox & Hound is good, and due to the coarseness fairly cool. I enjoy the flavour of the smoke: the Perique gives some spice, with the Turkish giving a good twang of sweet and sour. The Latakia brings woody notes, but very little smoky ones. The Burley becomes more notable as the bowl progresses, but the Virginia seems subdued from start to finish. F&H gives me no bite, and the smoke's quite thick in texture.

The nicotine's medium in strength, and I don't find the room-note that bad.

I enjoy this, not enough to highly recommend it but enough for a recommendation:

Three stars.

Pipe Used: Pete' #999

BlueTomorrow Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BlueTomorrow (15)

Fox & Hound's package notes claim it is "smooth" and I have to agree with that sentiment. The latakia, while noticeable, doesn't dominate the smoke but adds a marked woody smokiness to the flavor--I thought it smelled very strong from the pouch note, but that didn't translate to the smoke at all. There's a considerable dark fruity undertone that pervades the smoke from the red Virginia and Perique tobaccos (and probably the topping to some extent, but not in an overpowering way) which delivers just what I wanted from this blend. I didn't notice much influence from the burley in F&H, but I mark that up to how well all of the flavors in the blend come together in a smooth, satisfying smoke.

I once smoked F&H on an empty stomach and I was certainly feeling a little bit of a pleasant nicotine rush three-fourths of the way down the bowl. That said, I'm a nicotine lightweight so your mileage may vary. The tobacco burns well to a fine grey ash, and it provides an unexpected pleasant room note. There was no tongue bite whatsoever with this smoke.

Due to its light latakia content and forgiving nature, F&H would be an excellent choice for the pipe smoker looking to try their first English blend. I'm certainly glad I gave it a shot.

Pipe Used: no-name handmade hardwood

Purchased From: SmokingPipes.com

Tjbjr18 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tjbjr18 (4)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I find it surprising that so many give it negative reviews I enjoy English Blends but it is a very nice step back and little Milder version that's got some very unique spicy citrusy flavors that I really enjoy think that it's a great blend for the person who wants to try an English blend for the first time I would recommend it and if you puff on a hard still not real harsh and has a fairly tolerable room note in a nice aftertaste

Pipe Used: Stillwell. Natural cob

Purchased From: Pipes and cigars

Briarhood Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briarhood (2)

A decent blend by Sutliff. Upon the opening the aroma smells of typical English blends. A little smokey, earthy, and smooth. Once lit I was surprised how forward the white Burley and Turkish was. Not so nutty as earthy and mildly sour. The Latakia is in the background no smokey elements, but there throughout. The bland Burley is the main component throughout. Lastly I do not pick up any flavoring either Citrus or, sweetness probably from the PG. What I do taste is on the bland side aside from the mild spice from the Perique . This is not a bad blend per se, though I won’t be reordering this. It would work for a newer smoker looking for a bullet proof no tongue biteintroduction to an American English blend.

Pipe Used: Tsuge, Peterson, Cobs