Choice 2003 vintage, Eastern North Carolina red Virginias crown this jewel.

Accented by sweet bright leaf and rounded by small-leafed Katerini, Bijou is married with a hint of honey before being pressed and sliced into delicate flakes. This gem requires no adornment. Just time.

Estimated peak: 10-15 years

Strength
Extremely Mild
Taste
JimInks (2040)

The first thing that hits you as you light up is the Turkish Katerini, quickly followed by the moderately tangy dark fruit sweet 2003 Eastern North Carolina red Virginias. The red Virginias also have a little earth and very minor spice note. The lightly smokey, fairly woody sweet Katerini also offers a gentle spice. After a few moments, the Katerini recedes into the background as an important secondary player that underscores every single puff. There’s a touch of bright Virginia leaf that chips in a dab of citrus and grass. The honey topping is very mild and lightly applied, adding a slight smooth sweetness that rounds out the blend without sublimating the tobaccos. It’s not always noticeable, and weakens a little after the half way point. The nic-hit is mild to medium, though I observe it a tad more toward the finish. The strength and taste are in-between mild to medium. The flakes are a bit on the thin side, mildly moist and very easily manipulated to suit your packing preference. I saw no need to dry it, and recommend you smoke it as it is. Burns very cool, clean with a consistently smooth, woody sweetness at a slow to modest pace. Requires a few relights, and has no dull or harsh spots. Won’t bite even if you push it. Leaves a slight bit of moisture in the bowl.

It will burn to ash, but in a big bowl, you may have to stir up the last quarter just a little. Also, the tanginess from the red Virginia seems to speak out just a little more in a smaller bowl, so I will recommend a small to medium size pipe for this blend. The after taste is very pleasant, and doesn’t linger too long. The room note is like temperately sweet campfire smoke. An all day, subtly complex blend that wears well during the day. Three and a half stars out of four.

The tobacco is a "soft" flake. It rubs out easily or can be crumbled. Moisture level is good, and I have been smoking it "as is." Pouch note is slightly agricultural. The first smoke was in a GBD pot, and it seemed like a good combo, so I dedicated that pipe to Bijou while smoking up the sample.

This is a very good Virginia-forward blend with condimental+ orientals. The Katerini provide a fairly consistent spice and a hint of an herbal note from time to time. The Virginias are slightly heavy and sweet with a little citrus. I can believe it has a honey topping, but if it were not in the description, I don't think I would have found it and might have just thought it was part of the Virginia flavor profile. It all makes for a great smoke.

Smoking characteristics were good. It was easy to pack and smoke. I did not have a bunch of relights and flavor was good throughout the bowl. It was a little more earthy at the end, and I found that puffing brought out a more tart red Virginia and spice. Sipping brought out the citrus and herbal. There is a lot of subtle flavor to enjoy here.

I understand this Cellar Series is intended to be packed away and savored later. I find it to be quite good now and it is easy to recommend. I should say I am predisposed to like blends with orientals, and I found that component to be very well done for my palate.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

It has been a couple of years since I've posted any C&D blend reviews and I have smoked nearly 100 tins of their various offerings in that time. So, it may be awhile before I get to all of them.

I was gifted a tin of Bijou about six months ago and wanted to let the contents sit before opening the tin. No need for that as the contents were exceptionally ripe already. Two kinds of Virginia weave a tapestry of intrigue with every puff and I detect a slight addition to the tobacco that just slightly sweetens up the overall presentation. Rich and rewarding, the overall impression is that of a combination that has been carefully selected, treated and blended to produce an exceptional outcome for the smoker. And wait'll you get the smell and taste of the sweet and spicy Orientals in this one. Thanks C&D!

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

Others have detailed the finer nuances of the tobaccos used here and they did a fine job of it. I'm going to speak in more general terms.

To me this blend boils down to sweet vs sour. A little more specifically, sweet and fruity vs sour and woody. The balance struck is just slightly to the sweet side. I would prefer a stronger lean in that direction and it may very well get there with aging. It's a stark contrast in the first half of the bowl. The Virginias get more earthy in the second half and the sourness seems to recede just a bit and that's more to my liking. I look forward to smoking this with some years behind it. From a fresh tin I give it a 2.5, but I'm optimistic that it will improve so 3 stars it is. I think it has the potential to make the 4th one day.

Mild to medium in body. Medium in taste. Flavoring is extremely mild. Burns very well after drying. I haven't tried it otherwise.

Pipe Used: MM Little Devil Cutty, Little Devil Acorn, Marcus

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (201)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

An elegant tasting flake with a very distinct, almost floral flavor to it. I have tasted something similar to this before in a few blends and I think the floral note comes from the honey more than it does the Oriental leaf, but I could be wrong. The Virginias are very good and lend plenty of semi-sweet, toasty flavor. Bijou is well balanced and smokes smooth with a hint of spice from the Katerini which asserts its own unique flavor from time to time, and has what I can only describe as a light phenolic, adhesive bandage like aroma.

Down the bowl the flavor intensifies and I taste more of the Grecian leaf here which is quite good, and at times it’s fairly spicy. I have been enjoying Bijou even more now that the weather is cold, as the overall flavor leans more toward the darker side of the spectrum. This is a solid blend from C&D and an interesting take on the often under-appreciated Virginia/Oriental combo.

I am always on the look out for blends that contain or highlight a distinct Oriental leaf without involving Latakia, which in my opinion can often mute or overpower the finer, fragrant flavors of quality Oriental leaf. That said, I have enjoyed smoking through most of this tin & I have squirreled away a few more for future enjoyment.

gladi8tor96 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gladi8tor96 (123)

Upon opening the tin one can see a bunch of delicate broken flakes that are dark brown for the most part with streams of black a bits of golden and red. The smell is quite delicious. Hay and fruit mixed with some earth with a touch of honey. One can definitely smell the honey topping, but it's extremely mild and not overdone.

Easy to load and light. Light tamping works well for this blend and I didn't require many if any relights.

This blend reminds me of Orlik GS as the virginias are sweet and hay-like with a bit of citrus....but it's not as sweet as OGS and there is more going on with this blend than that. It reminds me of Blackwoods flake as the virginia profile seems wide, with dark, medium, and light tones, however this blend leans more to the light/medium side of the spectrum. The orientals add a complimentary dimension to the smoke that works well with the natural sweetness. It provides some spice and a bit of smokiness that is quite pleasant. This blend, at least at its current age, seemed to bite my tongue just a bit. Not so bad as for me to not enjoy it, but enough to notice. I think some age will help cure this issue however. The honey is just barely detectable maybe once every 5-10 puffs and adds a light sweetness to the smoke. Very enjoyable blend. I look forward to seeing how it will do after some years of aging.

UPDATE After a few more months of age, this blend is really great!! Awesome natural red va tangy sweetness supported by some wood notes and citrus notes. Wonderful! Still makes my tongue hurt every bowl. Not sure what it is....otherwise I would give this the full 4 stars.

Pipe Used: Dagner Pot

Age When Smoked: 6 months aged

Similar Blends: Orlik Tobacco Company A/S - Golden Sliced (Red), McClelland - Blackwoods Flake (Personal Reserve).

RipNpiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RipNpiper (4)

It's a solid everyday smoke, it's light, sweet and dry. Directly from the tin it smokes well, is a good moisture content. Flakes break down is easy and I found stuffing/folding/etc to be a bit on the finicky side.

I get a lot of honey on the charring light and maybe the first quarter to third of a bowl, at which point the virginias and orientals really step forward and make for a nice pleasant smoke with the faintest hints of honey every so often through out the bowl.

This is a blend that has handled well for me in meerschaum pipes as well as briar pipes, it doesn't get wet, doesn't bite and is pleasantly not as bright as a lot of other virigina based blends.

Purchased From: SmokingPipes.com

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Bijou greets the nose with a little earthy and a little sour note. The flakes are ready to load with no dry time needed which is saying something for me because I prefer to smoke my tobacco on the dry side. Even though I really like it this way, it does make me wonder how well it will age as tobacco needs a decent moisture level for the best aging results. (around 12%). I think there is enough there, but the speed it will age may be slower. As far as the taste is concerned, it is quite delicious now. The red Virginia offers a wonderful sweetness and a little tang along with the honey-like topping. The Oriental component is in a supporting role, but the portions of each are done really, really well. The bright Virginias are there, but I don’t taste them very well which to me is a tribute to the way this was blended as it all really comes together nicely. My guess is that this was aged for some time prior to tinning as Bijou offers up some aged flavor. In the late stages of the bowl, the strength picks up a bit and the sweetness is more muted. The small amount of spice is more of a player toward the bowls end as well. I do get a little bit of ashy flavor near the bowl’s end too, but this isn’t enough of an issue for me to keep it from being a four star blend.

M.Smolensky Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
M.Smolensky (6)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Cornell & Diehl says this tobacco will peak in 10-15 years, so maybe we should wait to review it. But who is going to do that? So, lets say in 2026 you can still buy tobacco without a doctor's prescription, you see a positive review of Bijou, and buy some. Do you set it aside until 2036? I just am on my second bowl of Bijou, and I think that many people will like it, because it is different in the way it tastes that is different from most anything I have tried. It is, to my view, strong, and the tingling that is described, I do not find pleasant, nor is anything that I am looking for in pipe tobacco. I want smooth, and easy going tobacco, without describing fig flavors, or citrus, or whatever. But that is just me, and you ought to try it for yourself, because it might be what you like. It burns nicely, it covers the tongue and palate with the tingly, but not bite taste, that lingers in the mouth. I wish I could describe it more delicately, but to me, it is like rolling a piece of charcoal briquet in the mouth. Initially, it starts out very pleasant and interesting, and then it starts to hit with this not very pleasant taste to me. I also get a slight dizziness from this tobacco, that makes me unsure about whether I should try to stand up or not. I will try to keep smoking this, to see if I am missing out, but meanwhile, I am glad for my supply of Butternut Burley, Uhle's Black Stoker, and Erinmore Flake. For me, it gets one star, but I will give it three stars, because I sense that others may come to like it very much. It is simply not for me.

Pipe Used: L'Anatra

Age When Smoked: One month

Similar Blends: Kingsford Briquets.

Dsport Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dsport (2)

Just sat down with some Bijou in a Peterson deluxe 1s.

Mechanics: Excellent tin note, Flakes were soft, broke easily, packed easily, took 2-3 charring and tampling cycles to have a continued pleasant paced smoke with minimal relights.

Taste: I think I've found it! I found myself not completely satisfied by VaPers and too indulged by heavy English blends and the mild ones (EMP) too boring... Hence the frustration and insatiety. Along came bijou... Wonderful Virginias, flavorful but not too dark. The Turkish is the secret here adding spice and a deeper flavor profile to the Virginias. Excellent combination. Very nice clean aftertaste. Overall very impressed... And satisfied. Gonna age a bunch of tins, I will always have one open in the rotation. Nice work C&D.

Pipe Used: Peterson deluxe 1s

steppx Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
steppx (135)

This is a really good blend, and no doubt it will get better with age, as intended. The red virginias are in the foreground throughout, and are terrific and rich, with that nice bottom note of spice (for lack of a better adjective) one gets with red virginia presented in flake form. Its a broken flake but it smokes as flakes smoke. The Katerini is present but never overshadows the Virginia. The Oriental Katerini is sour and pungent, but stays in the background. The honey is subtle but you are aware of it. It tastes the way rum often tastes in fact, and its a welcome mitigating factor to the Virginia. It is part of the reason this is such a nice cool smoke. Now the way the FDA is going, its possible nobody will be smoking pipes in the recommended 15 years of cellaring. But I am pretty sure this will age beautifully. As is its a 3 star blend, and maybe 3 and a half. Check with me in fifteen years to see its a four star. I bet it is.

It is philosophically in the same basket as Exhausted Rooster or Pease's sixpence.

Purchased From: 4noggins

Pastor Puff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pastor Puff (15)

Component Tobaccos: Virginia ('03 vintage) and Oriental (Katerini)

Flavouring: Honey

Cut: (Broken) Flake, it's advertized as a flake but good luck getting a flake out unbroken.

Tin Note: This smells like a fresh-cut lawn with the delicate scent of honey wafting over the top. It's delightful

Body: 4/10

Strength: 3/10

Nic: 1/10

Moisture From Tin: Slightly on the wet side

Mechanics: For a flake this burns surprisingly well, even with it being slightly wet. It can burn hot if you aren't careful.

Taste: At first I don't get any Virginia, just the subtle sweetness of the honey. The bowl begins to taste faintly of curry spice and there is a mouthfeel similar to perique. The Virginias are not very prominent, I can taste them and their bright, grassiness but they are not upfront. There isn't much evolution through the bowl. It's curry, honey and grass all layered together.

Thoughts: There really isn't too much to say about this blend. It is interesting, Bijou has flavours I have not found in any other tobacco: Honey and curry, mixed with the very familiar bright VA. And I cannot decide weather I like it or not.

Overall: ??/10

Additional notes: So I was curious about the 'curry' flavour and began to look into the profile of Katerini, the oriental that is in Bijou, and found that's where the curry flavour is coming from. It's interesting.

Pipe Used: Meer, others

Age When Smoked: New Tin

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Cornell & Diehl - Bijou.

The flakes are quite well broken, the same build as the Castello Fiammata I posted a week or so ago: long, very thick, ribbons. They're dark brown and have great hydration. Filling a bowl is simple, they crumble to perfection as they're stuffed in.

Bijou lights easily, giving a good burn. The tobaccos give a good flavour, to me they seem well balanced. The Oriental/Turkish's are easily detected, with the Virginia giving an equal proportion of flavour. The Virginia has more of a rustic taste, than a fresh one, if that makes sense? This quality works impeccably alongside the zesty Orientals. I get quite a sweet honey flavour, just enough to liven, yet not dishevel the smoke. Bijou doesn't bite, and the smoke's relatively cool.

The room-note's nice, and the nicotine's medium.

I think Bijou is nice enough, but it falls short of four stars.

Recommended.

Pipe Used: Davorin Denovic Morta

SmokeDawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeDawg (82)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

I popped the top to this ready-to-smoke-tobacco with rich dark broken flakes and took a deep draw from the ole' naz. I smelled rich deep fruit like raisins with the promise of a sweet drop of honey hidden somewhere deep. Kind of like that one dress shoe in your closet, you know it's there you just can't see it. Perfect moisture no need to dry it, packed it in my Kaywoodie Flame Grain Squat Bulldog and lit her like a happy little bacca arsonist. Spice. Spice. Spice. Spice. The red Virginia leaf who I suspect may have been even stoved was bullied by the other leafs. Spice, spice, spice and more spice. And, I don't mean like a Perique spice in it's different temperatures, I mean black pepper spice. I mean, I'll slip-this-pepper-in-your-food-cause screw-you-American that's why spice. What is this constant burning and tingling of the tongue? Rich Virginia and the Katerini leaf has a throw down on the carpet and a harsh pepper Bijou blend is born. I suspect there were rug burns and Oriental leaf just stood by and watched the whole thing. I thought Bijou meant "Little gem?" I really think it means, "Spice." I go through several glasses of water and juice when I smoke Bijou. There is nothing "sweet" about this blend. With all that said, it is a quality blend, it's just not for me. It's a bit dry throughout, a bit heavy and harsh at times and top that with...you guessed it, pepper. Did I mention this one is spicy?

Update: Almost finished with this tin. The spice and pepper calmed down and settled into a nice rich smoke with a standard hit of pepper. Decent blend for a one-off, just not for me and not worth purchasing again.

Pipe Used: Kaywooide squat bulldog, Peterson 68 Fishermen

Age When Smoked: July 2016

Similar Blends: Reminds me of C&D Exhausted rooster..