Legend has it that Aleister Crowley, famed adept of the Order of the Golden Dawn and founder of the Ordo Templi Orientis, is purported to have made a habit of smoking rum-soaked perique as a meditative aid.

To date, many a dabbler has pursued his own manifestation of this concoction out of sheer curiosity. We have too. And so in the spirit of the nefarious occultist himself, we sought to tame the Beast with our own rendering of the recipe, soaked for seven days in spiced rum, so that we might share our vision of it with the most inquisitive and brave of pipe smokers.

Blended ByJeremy Reeves
Blend TypeOther
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Kentucky, Perique, Virginia
FlavoringRum
CutMixture
Packaging2 oz Tin
Strength
Taste
Full, Very Full

2.7
JimInks (2042)
Very Strong Strong Extra Full Very Strong

The spicy, richly deep sweet rum and the tingly pepper from the St, James Acadian perique are the first things that hit you as you light up. That sensation lasts from start to finish as this blend has a very consistent flavor. The topping never weakens, which doesn’t surprise me as the mixture was soaked in that rum for a week. The perique is likely to be around sixty percent of the product, and also offers some plum and figs. The aged red Virginia (from one particular 2003 North Carolina crop) has a fermented ripe dark fruitiness and a little earth, and is noticeable much of the time in a supporting role. Just as obvious in a back up position is the woody, nutty dark fired Kentucky, whose spiciness often separates itself from that of the perique. I don’t really notice much from the Dominican Republic black cavendish, which is used to add a little smoothness, and is present in a small amount. Has a medium to strong nic-hit. The strength and taste are strong and very filling. I recommend you take your time smoking this for best effect, and don’t use a big or narrow bowl.

The tobacco was a little moist when I opened the tin, but I saw no need to dry it. The burn rate was slow to moderate, and required a few relights. It will leave a little moisture in the bowl, but no dottle. I experienced no bite, but your tongue will tingle some from the spice content. Despite its strength, it wasn't harsh at any time nor did it burn hot. Most assuredly, this is a blend for the experienced smoker, and is not an all day smoke as by design. For that type of smoker, I rate it at three stars out of four.

Strong Medium Full Tolerable to Strong

I have been smoking this in cobs and a clay for fear of ghosting. It might seem that a priest would feel more comfortable banishing a ghost, but as I rule I am cautious and try to avoid problems when I can.

The tin note is rum and a little perique silage. It seemed too moist, so I aired a bowl's worth before loading the first pipe. After that I smoked it straight from the tin. Smokability was about the same, and the rum may have been more pronounced when not aired.

W00t! is about all I can say. This is heavy and spicy. There is a sweet from the Virginia/perique combo that reminds me of fruit that is just a little overripe. I am not sure I am distinguishing where the perique ends and the DFK begins, and perhaps I should say the spice/pepper is very well melded. The rum comes through in every puff.

This is a stout smoke, and it is full of flavor. It does not hold back on the nicotine, and is up there with OJK and Irish Flake.

In terms of taste and strength, not everyone is ready for shots of spiced rum and Tabasco sauce. They are better served with rum -n- coke and some Texas Pete for the nachos. This blend is not going to be well suited to every smoker, but it is very tasty.

This blend is easy to recommend to the person whose smoking tastes are willing to wander to the "nothing exceeds like excess" end of the C&D spectrum.

Simenon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Simenon (20)
Overwhelming Very Strong Overwhelming Overwhelming

Perhaps I will always try those C&D 2.0 "small batch" offerings with a little trepidation: what if I end up liking one -- what with only a few hundred tins out there? Well, no worries to be had with this one. What an odd blend: like a kid baking a cake, or some of those brewers who go all out with hops in an attempt to make a good IPA. The proportions seem all out of whack. This is positively overwhelming in terms of sense-experience. A lot of rum, a lot of nicotine. Not a great combination of tobaccos either, which includes cavendish and that dreaded Kentucky leaf... And extremely "spicy". When to smoke this? Not for quiet contemplation, unless by that you mean passed out! If you like overwhelming experiences, this is for you. Think death metal as opposed to classical. Think of the overwhelming spiciness as the ringing of your ears, to continue the musical analogy. Though this tobacco is perhaps not as bad and corny as its presentation/advertising: pictures of the tin next to a chain (is that supposed to denote toughness?! To appeal to headbangers?) and unhappy references to a rather demented -- and authentically bigoted -- pipe smoker (Aleister Crowley -- who would want to emulate him in any way shape or form?). I thought all that supremely gimmicky at best. A beastly tobacco to be sure.

DeathMetal.org Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DeathMetal.org (101)
Medium to Strong Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Summary: a rich Perique blend without becoming off-putting, "The Beast" enwraps Perique in a sweet, spicy and smoky background.

The "rum soaked Perique" of Aleister Crowley is unfit for regular smoking, but this blend adapts it with sweet and smoky flavors to create a final taste that blends the different ingredients together like a chord. An initial light gives rise to the rum and Perique, but this quickly fades into the background as the vinegar-sweet Red Virginia Cavendish and molasses-y Black Cavendish meld with the smoky Dark Fired Kentucky Burley, which gives off a woodsy and meaty flavor. The result tastes at first like a barbecue, but then takes on a flavor all of its own in which the Perique becomes more sweet 'n' sour spicy than fruity, and the dark fired absorbs the other blends as dimensions of its own flavor. The result both keeps the power of Crowley's blend -- I smoke straight rum-soaked Perique on occasion and enjoy it, but it is not an everyday lunt -- and gives it the context to shine as a full blend. The result has all of the intensity that Perique can provided without going overboard on Nicotine or allowing the Perique to crowd out other flavors, instead giving us a smoky sweetness with a spicy core that makes the perfect nocturnal smoke.

clanobucklin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
clanobucklin (98)
Strong Mild Full Unnoticeable

My Mother used to use the word "Revolting" to describe some things. Being British - the word "Revolting" could mean either good or bad.

I really, really wanted to like this blend but I only find that to me it's "Revoltingly" bad. Tastes like bandaids, dirt, funky wood, cheap booze, and leaves a "Revolting" after taste in any pipe.

Pipe Used: Freehand

Similar Blends: Nothing!.

Cappadoc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cappadoc (8)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Full Tolerable

Very moist in the tin. Figgy aroma mixed with rum. Starts with a fruity spice flavor. Around midway through the bowl it changes to pure perique spice with a strong, but not unpleasant, flavor. Burns a little moister than most C&D blends despite 30 minutes drying. A very unique smoking experience. I'm glad I had the chance to try it, but it is quite one dimensional. I'm also glad I only bought one tin.

I would also like to add that, in my opinion, if this were not a limited release product I think reviews would be less positive. Mine included.

Purchased From: CPCC

GabrielCRT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GabrielCRT (84)
Medium to Strong Medium Very Full Tolerable

Cornell & Diehl creates magic with Perique. Bayou Morning, Old Joe Krantz, and Chenet's Cake are three of my favorites. When I heard about The Beast I knew it would deliver and it did.

On the initial light I taste fruit: plum, fig, and raisin coming from both the red Virginia and Perique. Almost immediately after this the spice kicks in. There is some intense pepper going on here but I wouldn't call it overwhelming. Whether in the background or foreground the rum is present. It is also spicy with cinnamon and nutmeg. I think the Dominican Cavendish tames the blend and smooths out any rough edges. There is some earthiness and nuttiness surfacing on occasion likely from the red Virginia and Kentucky leaf. Ultimately a very flavorful and BOLD blend!

Pipe Used: Cobs, Meerschaum, Briar

Flatticus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Flatticus (24)
Very Strong Strong Very Full Strong

My first impression of this blend, which is still pretty close to what I get now: First impression totally wrong. Spiced rum gave an aromatic topnote. This is not an aromatic. It's like Five Brothers made of good leaf. Have to smoke it shirtless, cause it puts that much hair on your chest. Dayumn. Tastes like a pinch of real good Virginia with perique, breaded with dark fired, dipped in rum and set on fire. Can't get the Cavendish, think it's just keeping the perique from actually murdering me, but this is like a second bowl anyway. Spicy, but not too spicy. Kick like a mule though. Dayumn.

Pipe Used: Cob, briar, clay. Cob or briar both fine.

Age When Smoked: None whatsoever.

Similar Blends: Having a brick of nicotine dipped in tabasco driven through your head with a pipe shaped sledgehammer..

Medium to Strong Medium Full Tolerable

I really love the tin scent of “The Beast” as it reminds me of the fermentation scent of my grandfather’s empty wine barrels. It is quite dark in the tin and needs some dry time. Interestingly, in the tin note and in the pipe, the tobacco changes for me (more than others) in appearance and taste with the longer dry time that I usually prefer. Keeping the tobacco a bit more moist offers up a bit more rum flavor and when dried to my preferred humidity level. I cannot venture to guess the amount of Perique in this blend, but it is the lead player for sure. The addition of the rum adds some additional sweetness that plays well with the Perique. The red Virginia’s are in excellent proportion to the rum and Perique as the two together add really push forward the raisin/plum flavor. The Beast is spicy, but not as spicy as I would have expected given the large amount of Perique in the blend. The spice hit is more “zesty” than sharp. I can only taste the Cavendish in the aftertaste and not in the blend itself, which I think is a credit to the way this has been blended. There are no real surprises with the Kentucky as it adds some earthy, smokiness and seems to be of high quality. On the strength side, I only found this to be medium in nicotine, but I tend to most often enjoy high nicotine blends so if you don’t, you may find it medium to strong. In contrast, the flavor is really full. The Beast makes a great, post steak dinner kind of smoke, but not an “all-dayer” for me. I think overall, unlike "Straight Up English" this is a niche blend. C&D blends generally are not among my favorites, but I have been quite impressed with both small batch offerings from C&D and could easily find blends like the two small batch blends in my daily rotation.

gladi8tor96 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gladi8tor96 (123)
Very Strong Strong Very Full Strong

This is crazy stuff! I was gifted a good sample from a friend of mine. Smells like perique and spiced rum. Loads easy and lights easy. Behaves well in the pipe.

Tastes like spicy dark fruit with a bit of BBQ and pepper mixed in. You can discern the rum and it does remind me of spiced rum burning. Very strong tobacco, make sure you are sitting to smoke it. The entire flavor profile is quite difficult to describe. It's not unpleasant, but it's also not outstandingly awesome.

Pipe Used: Bent Brandy

Age When Smoked: Gifted/Unknown

Purchased From: Gifted

William H. Hardy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
William H. Hardy (74)
Very Strong Very Strong Very Full Extra Strong

I kind of figured when I ordered this one that it would be over the top. It was definitely that and more. First off, Perique is a pretty potent tobacco. Then it's joined by Dark Fired Kentucky, which seems overkill. then, drenched in a boozy flavor, which I would describe as more brandy-like than rum. I'm a sucker for a gimmick, though, and I bought two tins of the stuff.

I have had nothing but good results with Cornell & Diehl products. Even if I didn't like something, it was still smokable. I understand that this was created as a kind of novelty item and I do appreciate that fact. It just has very few redeeming qualities. It's good leaf, of course, just utilized in the wrong way.

The rest of the tin, after I smoked about 5 bowl's worth, was left at the Country Squire as a sample. I don't know if I did someone a favor or made someone sick. I'll sit on the second tin, but I don't know if I will ever smoke it.

Pipe Used: Custom-Bilt Billiard

Medium to Strong Medium Very Full Pleasant

I can generally agree with JimInks' and Fr Tom's reviews. I didn't find the N as strong, but this is a full smoke. For me, it did burn very fast, but there was no bite. Compared to other VaPers I especially like (GH Louisiana Flake, Bad Nun II), yes, the Perique comes through a bit more more, but it's not overwhelming, nor is the rum any stronger than (the much sweeter) GH Rum Flake. I like it, but not as much as the blends mentioned above, but there is something very addicting about it. As for the room note, while strong, it is also pleasant (IMO).

Pipe Used: briars, cobs, and meers

Age When Smoked: 1 month