From Switzerland, this is by far Hans Schürch' most successful and popular English mixture. Fans of this type of tobacco all over the world swear by this mixture: Two Virginias, including an extremely rare one, a generous portion of Syrian Latakia, and a touch of Louisiana Perique.

BrandSchürch
Blended ByHans Schürch
ContentsLatakia, Perique, Virginia
CountryCH
Strength
Taste
Medium, Medium to Full

3.6

The smoky, woody dry, wine-like Syrian latakia is more dominant than the other parts, though the perique has a nice peppery, slightly raisin quality as just more than a background player. The high quality Virginias have a light citrus and darker fruit, as well as a little hay/grass, and some earth. They form a base for the other tobaccos. There's a very light sweetness that comes from a topping I can't identify, but it doesn't tone down the tobaccos. The nic-hit is just past being mild. No chance of bite, and has no dull or harsh moments. Burns slightly slow, clean and cool with a smooth, deeply rich consistent flavor. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, and requires an average number of relights. Has a pleasant after taste. Almost an all day smoke.

The reviewer below encouraged not giving up on this blend and it couldn't have been more true for me. I really love a lot of the Schurch English blends as they often remind me of my beloved Dunhill blends. Onyx was one that took a lot longer for me to get a handle on than the other Schurch blends. I had consumed more than four ounces in various bowls before really getting into the zone.

After finding the right bowl size and smoking it on the dry side (almost very dry), I fell in love. Onyx has somewhat of a unique flavor and the use of Syrian instead of Cyprian Latakia really makes this an outstanding blend. The pouch scent is smoky and rich. It has the look of a typical medium English blend. The chopped ribbons pack with ease and the flavor is more and more enticing as the bowl progresses. It's smoky and builds in spice throughout the bowl with just a hint of sweetness. It's not a surprise that Onyx is one of Schurch's most reviewed blends. Tarek's Robusto, Torina, Zaffiro and now Onyx; four excellent English blends from Hans Schurch! Highly Recommended!

I was recently given a sample of well aged (more than 2 years) Schurch Onyx by fellow esteemed reviewer Johnnyflake, who said it was his favorite English. I can see why. Johnnyflake is a fan of Perique and there is a fair amount in this English concoction.

There are many other outstanding English Blends that use Perique to "spice up" the monochromatic flavor of Latakia. Greg Pease uses the Perique treatment in many of his English blends as did the Murray's produced and highly touted Dunhill's Nightcap.

Onyx is very similar to Nightcap, but does not produce the unrelenting heavyness of that Dunhill blend.

I think the broad cut leaf of Onyx also contains high quality Virginia. Although other reviewers have complained of too much moisture, my sample actually arrived a tad on the dry side, which is fine with me. It burned well and evenly.

I am not personally a regular consumer of English blends with or without Perique. I do try to conduct reviews by comparing what I am smoking to others of its type. In that sense, many of my briar brothers/sisters will no doubt agree with many other reviewers here that Schurch hit a home run with Onyx.

Stefano Bisotti Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stefano Bisotti (3)

I could evaluate this mixture both in a 50g tin and in bulk (in Switzerland because in italy this tobacco is not distributed) I smoke the pipe for 40 years and the sensations that triggered this mix are memories of quality grade products such as those of the Dunhill home. Already the raw tobacco evaluation offers the smoker's nose a sense of great quality and balance: torbate and smoked notes. Tobacco offers excellent combustibility and during smoking it is a good and interesting evolution. The Siryan latakia offers a distinctive feature to this mixture which results in a very balanced and characteristic feature is undoubtedly one of the English Mixtures that at this time I prefer.

Pipe Used: Dunhill, Peterson, Charatan, Mastro de Paja

Age When Smoked: fresh tobacco

Purchased From: Dubini, Chiasso Switzerland

Similar Blends: Samuel Gawith Squadron Leader.

JB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JB (43)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Very Pleasant

Onyx is delicious...it just is. I don't understand any of the two-star ratings of this tobacco. It is one of the best examples of a full English blend anywhere in the world. It warrants no worse than three stars based on construction alone. You either like English blends or you don't. If a complex English blend is what you crave, Onyx is a great choice. My only complaint is that it should be sold in America.

Jared Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jared (6)

I love Schurch 128, it's magic. A beautiful composition. And no tricks, because Schurch 128 is a very high quality blend. Elegant, round ... and lovely.

raybrown55 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
raybrown55 (27)

I usually smoke EM without Perique, so when I first tried 128 I was impressed from its very different taste. Some time ago I had tried Peterson's Balkan Delight, which have a similare taste, but more subdued, so I guess 128 have more Perique in it. The first bowls left me with mixed feelings, because there were moments when I liked that particular taste, but some time i felt almost as I was smoking an aromatic... However this blend has grown on me bowl after bowl and I think it worths a try, especially if you like Perique ...

Purchased From: Dubini Chiasso

Similar Blends: Peterson Balkan Delight.

Rob73 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rob73 (77)

Another great swiss tobacco, with a very reasonable price. 128 is highly balanced, enriched by a high quality of its components. It is a little bit less sweet than its 'brother' SOB (in fact, it doesn't contains Orientals). 4,5/5 in my personal rating system.

Purchased From: Dubini, Chiasso (Switzerland)

Alessio Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alessio (1)

I was looking for an alternative to my preferred english mixture (SG Squadron Leader) and I found it here. Not strong, sweet and very pleasant and rounded. I smoked it first time some days ago in Bulk and the ribbons were ready to smoke in a dry and very satisfying way without rebournings. Tobaccos inside are excellent, and I rate it 3 stars because I reserve 4 for later tastes.

Pipe Used: SantAmbrogio Poker Large, Dunhill Cumberland 3104

Age When Smoked: 1 week

Purchased From: Tabaccheria Dubini, Chiasso

Similar Blends: Samuel Gawith - Squadron Leader.

dzacca Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dzacca (8)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

The best mild english mixture I tried so far. Full body, sweet, and so tasteful. This became my preferred smoke over Squadron Leader straight from the first time.

Pipe Used: Various

Age When Smoked: Couple of months

Purchased From: Tabaccheria Dubini, Chiasso

CoolPilot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CoolPilot (69)

First thing to say is: perique here does sting. And I like perique, normally. Second thing to say is: too much perique does not only make the blend sting but also make it bitter in taste. Good, but not excellent blend. But tobaccos inside are first class, and I rate it 3 solid stars.

Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

While in the pouch it is not too "stinky", this is actually quite a tasty EM, while mantaining a certain delicate quality. Very balanced, with no peaks or dissonant aromas: the presence of Perique is quite moderate, and doesn't interfere.

My complaint is that it isn't very distinguished from other EMs, so I don't have many reasons to buy this again, but you could find many worse blends!