As you can see from the ingredients, this is a complicated blend. The RR Burley flake is simply gorgeous. I highly recommend it to those who prefer traditional English mixtures and yet can't smoke them in the company of nonsmokers. It has such a 'serious' taste and yet a very sweet room aroma

BrandSchürch
Blended ByHans Schurch
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Burley, Latakia, Perique, Virginia
CountryCH
Strength
Taste
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Schurch has a grouping of blends that they call “Modern English” that are separate from their traditional English blends; Moschita is the first of that group that I have had the pleasure to try. The pouch aroma has a leathery sweetness, although it is a subdued sweetness. The coarse cut is easily packed and produces thick clouds of smoke. I often struggle with the room note while smoking a blend, but my wife smokes this blend too and I find the room note to be almost aromatic with a fruity scent. Given the number of component tobaccos, the skill of the blender keeps it all from being mottled and Moschita has some interesting complex flavors. The sweetness stays with me throughout the bowl, but there is some savory too after the mid-bowl mark. As a lover of traditional English blends, I can appreciate Schurch pushing the boundaries, but I can't see this as an everyday blend for my taste. But as a change of pace, it's nice. Those that enjoy Sillims London or HU-Tobacco's “Sweet Latakia” will find a kindred spirit with Moschita. Recommended.

ferdoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ferdoe (7)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The Schurch?s blends I have tried taste like nothing else I have ever smoked before. Last year I did not even know such a house existed. But after lurking and posting on ASP for a while?through the wealth of information disseminated, particularly by one maestro Ursus?this is what I got to discover.

Moschita is one of Schurch?s New English Blends, meaning that its ingredients are not restricted to Virginias, Latakia, and a whiff or two of Orientals. This blend has a touch of RR Burley.

On initial light up, there is a good deal of sweetness (on the tip of the tongue). Schurch uses Virginias that are very fruity. I do not think that the Virginia in Moschita is cased, but it has a slight caramelly (but not sweet) taste that I love. Latakia kicks in almost immediately after the fruit?but the sweetness (not the fruitiness of the Va) keeps lingering on. The Latakia starts mild, but you are definitely aware of it. You are also aware that you are puffin on a very creamy blend. Then comes the finish and the kicker. I assume that the finish is the result of the RR Burley. It is a somewhat astringent, metallic flowery taste; not sweet at all, on the contrary, a very pleasant and palate cleansing taste tops the first few puffs.

This blend is to pipe tobacco what Earl Grey is to tea. The RR Burley is like Bergamot except that I do not particularly like Bergamot or Earl Grey and I do like Moschita and RR Burley.

By mid-bowl the fruitiness of the Virginias are completely gone, and you are smoking a typical English blend, somewhat sweet (still on the tip of the tongue) but with an extraordinary finish. Also beginning to develop are woodsy and minty qualities. The woodsiness wins over, but there is quite a nice little battle that goes on for a while.

Toward the end of the bowl, the Latakia and creaminess dominate, but the clean finish is still there. I find many of the Schurch Latakia blends to develop a certain saltiness toward the end of the bowl?Moschita is no exception. The saltiness, however, is never overpowering or obnoxious.

I like this tobacco very much and smoke it often. It goes well with ordinary dark English style teas, but not coffee. I have not tried it with spirits but think it would go nicely with full bodied, dark, and chewable beers. I give it four stars for originality, but only a seven out of ten because I cannot smoke more than two bowls in a row.

Last but not least, this is a very pleasant smelling tobacco. If you want to convert anyone to pipe tobaccos, this will do the job.

pokrsmokr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pokrsmokr (32)

Schurch's Moschita can best be described as English-ish; it has the characteristics of a medium strength emglish blend but has a few surprises for both the palate of the smoker and the nostrils of the passersby. Unlike many English hybrid blends to which burleys and cavendish tobaccos are added, Moschita does not become a victim of such creative blending. Moschita still retains the bulk of it's english characteristics, while benefitting from the added depth and body of the untraditional condiments. there is also a complexity here which is often lacking in english blends. There are times when smoking Moschita where I can hardly believe it's the same tobacco I had tasted a dozen or so puffs prior. Though it is anything but boring, it's not a tobacco I would smoke all day. It is impressive none the less. If you like a medium strength englisih tobacco and are willing to stretch tradition a bit, this is a definite must try.