Lapis is another "creamy" mixture from Schürch, containing several Virginias, White Burley, Latakia, and a touch of Black Cavendish. It's naturally 'aromatic' and the taste is so smooth and delicious. The perfect all-day smoke, especially when you're in the company of nonsmokers.

BrandSchürch
Very Mild, Mild
Taste
SeoulSister Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SeoulSister (37)

Lapis has a nice sweet fruity smell in the pouch that makes me think of blueberries. It actually smells like real berries! Schurch lists Lapis under their “Modern English” blends category and not under their aromatic blends. I would politely disagree and call this blend an aromatic. Lapis has a sweet fruity flavor with a floral after note. I can smell the Latakia, but I would say it is lightly added. The berry flavor tapers off as I reach the last part of the bowl and I taste more of the Virginia and Burley tobacco with the Latakia remaining in the background. I have been smoking Lapis on and off for about a year and I used to enjoy this blend more than I do now. The reason is because I find this blend to become harsh toward the end of the bowl and it starts to have a bite. I think that people that enjoy more aromatic tobacco will enjoy this more than I do.

Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

I have been so impressed with Hans Schurch's blends sold by Synjeco that I thought I would take a chance with Lapis. I say, “take a chance” because I generally don't go for English blend variations as I find many of them not to my liking. When I opened the pouch of Lapis, I thought my fears would be confirmed. The appearance is that of a typical medium English, but the scent was so fruity, I thought I would be smoking a full aromatic containing Latakia. After a few short minutes of dry time, I easily packed my early 1960's Stanwell Acorn. Well, it was love at first puff! The fruit flavor, while present, moves to the background and is in perfect harmony with the tobacco components. Lapis is slightly sweet, very creamy and smooth. It burns coolly with no bite. The flavor is consistent from the top of the bowl to the bottom. The strength stays medium throughout. I am sure that this will be an aromatic for some and not for others. For what it's worth, Schurch lists this as a "Modern English and not in their aromatic category. It's so well done, I don't care. If you want to take a chance on a “new age” English blend, then Lapis is a great place to start. Highly Recommended!

Similar Blends: Dunhill "Three Year Matured".