Kendal Dark Menthol is a combination of dark fired and air cured Virginias, cut into a fine shag, and flavored with a hint of menthol.

BrandGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Blended ByGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Manufactured ByGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Blend TypeVirginia/Burley
FlavoringMenthol
CutShag
Strength
Medium, Medium to Strong
Medium, Extra Strong
Taste
Medium, Medium to Full
Tolerable, Tolerable to Strong
1.5
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

In the pouch, I found the scent of Kendal Dark Menthol simply awful as it smells like Robitussin, a popular cough syrup in the US. But I love GH blends so I soldered on. In the pipe, the same quality Dark Fired and Virginias noticeable in Dark Thick Cut and Kendal Dark Vanilla are the same portions or very, very similar. However, unlike Kendal Dark Vanilla, the menthol is this blend is much more dominate. Blowing through the nose is a “frosty” experience. There’s no tongue bite and it does burn cool (haha), but given that I have a pipe in my mouth most of the day, the menthol stayed on my tongue for longer than I would prefer. In the end I really disliked this tobacco. Two stars because of the quality underlying tobacco, but it won’t be one I’ll be buying again.

Medium Extra Strong Medium Tolerable to Strong

Gawith Hoggarth - Kendal Dark Menthol.

Why, oh why, did I bother with this?!

The pouch smells clinical, like some form of high grade floor cleaning fluid. The smoke's not much different; this doesn't even qualify as being a 'high grade' cleaner! SteelCowboy's right with his 'frosty' analogy; it's one cold smoke. But one opinion we don't share is the tongue bite; ouch! The nicotine's pretty medium from KDM, and the burn's consistent. After smoking a bowl I'm left with a horrible taste at the back of my palate.

For a few reasons I don't recommend this blend; I think it's horrible.

One star.

Pipe Used: Altinok Lee Van Cleef Meer'

Purchased From: My Smoking Shop