None given.

Notes: From Synjeco: This is a flake of the highest quality. The taste and aroma are both sweet and spicy. While not the easiest burner, with a bit of attention, you can have it burn so evenly and so slowly. The Virginias used are evidently so mature and of very high quality.

BrandSamuel Gawith
Blended BySamuel Gawith
Strength
Strong
Taste
Medium to Full, Full, Very Full

2.7
DrDNA Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDNA (58)
Medium to Strong Strong Full Tolerable to Strong

Notes: I smoked about 100 g of this in several pipes, preferring it in my Lakelands-dedicated medium briar. It is strongly scented, so consider dedicating a pipe to it, or trying it out first in a corncob or Meerschaum.

Appearance: Dark reddish brown to black, densely pressed and stoved flake with obvious heavy topping coating it.

Aroma: Rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, sesame seed, pine needles. A modest amount of sandalwood-type perfume.

Taste: Surprisingly subdued, given the aroma. Mildly smoky, a pervasive sweet-sour character which gives the impression of a smoky flavor without a classic latakia smoke taste. Sweet, oily, sesame seeds, dried plums, faintly nutty.

Comparisons: Less heavy than Balkan Flake, less perfumed than Grousemoor and the like, heavier than the plain Virginia flakes.

Bottom Line: For Lakeland/scented flake lovers. If you seek a steamed virginia blend, with fullness, but without overpowering oriental leaf, and without overwhelming topping flavor, this may be a winner.

CJ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CJ (45)
Medium to Strong Strong Very Full Very Pleasant

I am writing one review to cover RB Plug, Cannon Plug, and Flake #7. I am guessing, and can be wrong, that Cannon Plug is a lighter version of RB Plug, and that Flake #7 is the Flake version of one or the other. This is more a description of a method to prepare them for smoking than a normal review. All are an acquired taste, and it took me many months to finally acquire that taste. Initially all three were impossible for me to smoke. All reeked from perfume that was so strong that the perfume transferred to my hands just from handling the tobaccos. I tried a few times to smoke them fresh from the bag, and had to dump them out. The perfume was overpowering the smoke. Since these blends have existed for over 200 years, I was determined to smoke them. I now cut off a chunk that would provide for about 6 small bowls. I leave the chunk in a plastic bag for a week or two. This allows some (but not all) of the perfume to evaporate. I find that I cannot rub out the drier chunks of plugs. So, I chop them into little square pieces, and then I put them into a very small jar. After about another week, they feel very dry, and I can't rub them any finer than they are at this stage. I then give each a twirl in a coffee blender. This transforms them into a decent size to smoke. And, to my surprise, after the coffee blender treatment, they are still very moist although they feel dry to the touch before the treatment. I then let them dry on a piece of paper until they reach my preferred level of moisture. I smoke them in a small meerschaum. Not only would they flavor a briar, but they actually flavor the meerschaum a bit for the next few smokes (not a bad experience). After all of this preparation, they turn into a very interesting and enjoyable smoke. The quality of the Virginias with just a lingering hint of the flavoring provide for a very decent, quality smoke. At the same time, the flavoring produces a very pleasurable and acceptable aroma that is very noticeable while smoking, and that adds to the total experience. Nicotine strength runs around 5-7 for me out of 10. With this preparation, they smoke dry and leave a very fine almost white-gray ash. The room aroma should be very pleasant to anyone in your presence. I really enjoy smoking a few bowls a week in a meer of any of the three blends. It took me decades to acquire a taste for Broccoli, but only a few months to adapt to these blends. The only negative for me is that the taste lingers in my mouth long after the smoke is finished. I will keep at least one of the three around for those special times when these unique blends appeal to me. For now, my choice of the three is the RB Plug.

Inquisitor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Inquisitor (155)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is probably the most aromatic Lake District tobacco that I like. The flavoring is less flowery than GH Ennerdale Flake or Conniston Cut Plug, or SG's Special Flakes #1 through #6. I bought a pound of this stuff somewhat blindly for a great price, then set it aside for a few months when I smelled it. The surprising thing, though, is that the flavoring actually adds a nice, congruent flavor and sweetness to the high-quality underlying tobacco. I'm not saying that you will be able to pick up a lot of nuance in the steamed Virginias, but there is a great deal of true tobacco flavor under the topping. This blend smokes less aromatically than the tin aroma would have you believe.

I smoke outside, where this works beautifully. Can't say if it would become overpowering for the indoor smoker. Well worth a try.