None given.

Notes:

BrandSamuel Gawith
Blended BySamuel Gawith
FlavoringAlcohol / Liquor, Other / Misc
Strength
Strong
Mild to Medium, Medium, Very Strong
Taste
Medium, Medium to Full, Full

dallaspipehead Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dallaspipehead (12)
Strong Very Strong Full Very Pleasant

I can only imagine that I might be met with some opposition on my high rating for this tobacco, but I honestly believe that it is a must for collectors of aromatics, flakes and all things Gawith, like myself. The quality of this dark brown flake is impeccable. Considerably moist, but in my opinion it is ready for smoking upon arrival. If it were to be dried, the strength of it might become overwhelming.I also suggest that it be fully rubbed out. Keep a pipe cleaner handy, because it does tend to get a little gurgly at first. Like some of the other Lakeland flakes, the unburnt aroma and the flavor go hand in hand. Nothing deceptive about it whatsoever. English tobaccos like this one are far superior to most others, but in the area of aromatics, I assure you, it is without equal. The same can be said for all of the Gawith Special Flakes. Judging by other reviews, it could be labeled as a member of the "soapy" family, but I have never smoked soap before, so I couldn't say for certain! It would be fair to say that it is akin to Cannon Plug, but milder. Perhaps it contains some of the mysterious flavoring agent known as "cheviot". I looked up cheviot with much difficulty, only to find a possibly related definition: a breed of sheep. Could this flavoring be derived from the natural oils of the sheeps wool? I can only wonder. Very curious- but delicious, nonetheless. A big, bold flavor with little aftertaste and no bite detected. A miracle for a flake of its like. Unfortunately, I cannot find any availability of this and its sister flakes here in the states. I ordered #2 through Synjeco of Switzerland, including many others that Gawith& Co. don't send here. If you are a fanatical collector of their products such as I, you will find this company a valuable resource, so long as price is of no concern to you. I actually took out a small loan, just so I wouldn't have to repeatedly pay the high cost of shipping. If you can get it, I believe its well worth it. 4 stars.

Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Sam Gawith Special Flake No 2. This utilizes the usual Sam G' quality , too damp! Not saturated , it just needs a few hours to rectify this slight issue. The un-lit aroma is a little perplexing, I can definitely get some alcohol in there but there is also a slightly incongruous musty addition , of which it's hard to work out from where it comes. The flakes are quite thick , with that in mind even once they have aired to a decent moisture level they still require a little extra tenacity if you, like me, prefer a rubbed out flake instead of a folded one. No 2 lights up great, taking the quintessential amount of flame time for a good flake and gives a steady burn as well. The Virginia flavour is a lovely full one , to be fair I don't get over swamped by the aromatics. The added flavours are definitely apparent albeit they seem a little confused as to exactly what they are! I find it quite difficult to actually identify them, one minute it has an almost Lakeland taste but the next I can identify the alcohol, it is by no means a bad flavour but just a little intemperate. On to the Nicotine now and to be succinct if you only smoke for taste avoid this one as it will probably make your head spin! The duration of the smoke is fairly lengthy, it would make a great blend to fill your bowl with and then relax undisturbed for a while without necessitating that you have to refill every fifteen minutes! I feel that if you want your aro's to have a MASSIVE falseness to them i.e Cherry,Berry or Vanilla then this will not fit your expectations of an aromatic but if you enjoy more honest,robust and natural additives such as Lakeland or Nuts then this one is a definite blend to try!

Pipe Used: Peterson Sandblast Sherlock Homes Baskerville

Age When Smoked: New with a few hours to air

Purchased From: G.Q Tobaccos

Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Like special flakes 3, 4, & 5 (so far) what I get is mostly lemon grass, but at or a tad below #4. The honey flavoring is mostly absent as well, so I could taste the VA from the start, but so far, all these are variations of the flavorings in Grousemoor.

Pipe Used: falcons

Purchased From: synjeco

Similar Blends: Grousemoor and the other special flakes tried.