In a certain famous song, Johnny Cash once sung of how to acquired a Cadillac on the cheap: mixing and matching one purloined part at a time from the assembly line. The results may have been a bit funny-looking, but every piece was quality. In a similar spirit (minus the purloining bit), Grand Croupier's Double Down is assembled from all-sorts of quality Virginia/Burley blends; the price is low, the proportions are a spin of the wheel, but the components are quality, coming as they do from an artisanal blending house. The original all-sorts-of-all-kinds Grand Croupier blend even managed to impress our own office test-subjects in our own blind review.

BrandGrand Croupier
Blend TypeVirginia/Burley
CutMixture
Strength
None Detected, Extremely Mild
Taste

This one is a challenge to review because by its nature it changes depending on when you buy it. Here are some comments about the one I am smoking. It is a very irregular cut with a few hunks of torn large bits a half inch wide and a stick or two. It is slightly sweeter than Pegasus and is a very good smoke. It seems to be fairly slow burning and the earthy burley shines.

The pouch smells as if it "might" have some orientals in there, but I can't taste them. I taste a little cigar leaf from time to time, but this might be my imagination.

I realize it will vary from batch to batch, but I like this one. At the price it is a steal if you like VaBurs.

JimInks (2040)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

The burleys lead with a nutty, molasses flavor along with a touch of cocoa and earth. The Virginias are citrus, grass, hay, and a hint of earth and wood as a strong second lead. Has a mild nic-hit. The cut is irregular with a few stems, ribbon, small flake and coarse cut, but it burns at a slow to moderate pace, cool, clean and smooth with few relights. Leaves little moisture in the bowl and easily burns to ash. Won't bite. As noted, the blend changes periodically, so there's no telling what you will get from batch to batch, though I figure my basic observations would hold in different proportions, unless they change the kinds of varietals. An easy all day smoke, though this batch hasn't much depth of flavor or body. I give this three stars for effort, idea and price point, though this particular batch is two stars. Reminds me a little of a tamer Smoker's Pride Rich Taste.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Grand Croupier - Double Down.

Because each batch can vary I suppose this review may be redundant in a few months! Ahh well, here's what I think:

My pouch of Double Down has an aroma that's customary for a VaBur, and the moisture's good; this may partly be because I've had it for a few months. The bag contains lots of ribbons, but there's also a few clumps and a fairly high proportion of recognizable flake pieces; some of these still need a bit of a rub, for my preference.

My first comment's rather generic, I guess: quality. The smoke is clearly of a high quality. Where the actual flavour's concerned the Burley leads: rich, nutty, and slightly chocolaty. The Virginia's liable for far less flavour, I'd say about 25-30%. Again, tastes superior to other blends of this price, but doesn't begin to shine until a quarter of the way in; it's still easily second to the Burley, but adds more character to the smoke. The burn from D.D. is good: few re-lights, a medium speed, and I get no tongue bite from it.

The room-note's nice, and it's ameliorated by the weight of the actual smoke: light. And finally, I find the nicotine medium.

This batch is a four star one, I only hope other people get one as good!

Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Pete' Kinsale XL11 P'Lip

Age When Smoked: A few months

Max1a Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Max1a (38)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

9/19/17 Latest batch has a lot of burgundy colored tobacco that must be red Virginia, also detect a tinge dark fired and the burly / perique, as always, are present.

1/25/17 More bright Virginia in this latest batch and of course the Burly is top notch. Still a real good smoke. After purchasing 4 or 5 pounds of DD I have never had a bad batch. OH, and thankfully, I've never found any black cavendish.

6/22/16. This is my third 1lb order of DD. It seems to be pretty darned consistent. This last batch has some small chunks of recognizable C&D blends. Some Briar Fox for sure. Some Pease Jack Knife and some small chunks of Night Train. I hope this hodge podge never runs out because I would go broke trying to reproduce it!

Pipe Used: Cob and a medium briar Billiard