Scotch Cut Mixture is one of the original Samuel Gawith blends. A balanced selection of Virginias, Burley, Latakia and our own Empire Black Cavendish gives Scotch Cut a full flavoured yet medium strength smoking experience.

BrandSamuel Gawith
Taste

2.9
machinebcon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
machinebcon (50)

Pure and untouched tobacco, but unfortunately to the point that there were many (chunky) branches in the mixture. If you don't remove them, they will cause the 'electrical fire' smell that can really spoil the bowl. Carefully remove them, and you get a real classic Scottish mix. Absolutely natural, buttery smoke, medium in N and strength. Could easily qualify as every day/all day smoke, and because of its balance even as an island tobacco. Less L than Black Mallory, but similar in natural sweetness. Add a pinch of Orientals and you get one of the best smokes under the sun.

Remember: check the mix and remove all branches. A pity that SG doesn't care. Still: full score!

Jdor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jdor (15)

In order to enjoy a blend the most I need to feel what I call "The bond", a sort of connection between me, my pipe and the tobacco. It all begins upon opening the tin, continues after smelling and packing it, and finishes with white ashes at the bottom of the bowl. I can certainly say SCM had that effect on me, and for that I am very pleased. The first half of the bowl gave a smooth and gentle latakia taste, which then turned to a creamy flavour (from the virginias and black cav I guess). It burned amazing and cool, and almost no relights were needed.

Pipe Used: Butz Choquin Regence, Savinelli Giant

Purchased From: B&M store

Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

A smattering of Latakia and unflavored Black Cavendish seem to be slightly in the lead with the Virginia flavor also in the hunt. A Lakeland style Dunhill Nightcap without the Perique is the closest comparison to any known blend that I've smoked. The burn is very slow and the taste is lighter than I would have expected. The strength is certainly there, but does not deliver any knockout blows.

Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

Scotch Cut is comprised of mainly lighter and medium tan chopped ribbon with a few pieces of Cavendish and Latakia. The scent to me is mainly on the earthy side. It needs little to no dry time. . Is it a Scotch blend? There are so many variations that your guess is as good as mine. But, If the added Cavendish, which seems to be the one constant in Scottish blends (but not all), than I guess the answer here would be yes. The Virginia and Burley play the lead role with the Latakia offering just a hint of smoke and the Cavendish a very light underlying sweetness. It’s a little earthy and a little nutty and slightly sweet. It is mild to medium in strength and burns dry. It offers no bite and while trying to get my arms around this blend, pecheur’s description of “odd” was what came to mind. In fairness, I only had a three bowl sample and each bowl started off great, but as each bowl progressed, I found myself enjoying this blend less and less. It just seems confused and while I seldom care about the “room note” I found myself needing to air the place out. I didn’t hate this smoke, but it isn’t one that I would buy again.

Meerschaumer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Meerschaumer (7)

For a long-time pipe smoker returning to 'English' blends after 30-odd years burning mostly aromatics, Scotch Cut Mixture was a homecoming for me. A simply thrilling and delicious blend with everything a serious smoker could wish for: mouthwatering tin-note, beautiful cut, easy packing and lighting topped off with a peppery-spicy, tangy flavour that had me coming back for more. I also found the aroma quite beguiling and had difficulty restraining myself from taking deep lungfuls of the smoke!

Pipe Used: 9mm filter Meerschaum & gauze in bowl.

Purchased From: pipe-shop.net

Tbombadil Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tbombadil (11)
Medium to Strong Very Strong Very Full Overwhelming

It appears that this is the first review for this tobacco. After trying some I can understand why. I've probably tried well over a hundred blends over the years, some aromatic, some Virginia, and some English, even a few burleighs but this one holds a special place of distinction for me. It is without a doubt, bar none, the worst tasting blend I've ever smoked.

As far as a room note this blend smells like an electrical fire. The aroma was so pronounced that I went into the kitchen to see what was burning after about an eogth of a bowl. This was one of the few tobaccos I've ever had to dump before finishing.

If you're looking for something to get that annoying mother-in-law to move out this one might just be for you. But be warned, your wife very likely will leave with her.

pecheur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pecheur (19)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Strong

I could review this blend in a single word 'odd'.

I'll write more. A faint tin note of nut and sweet with a trace of woody smoke in the background.

The first half of the bowl has a very odd flavour of burning nuts and a similar room note, I do find this unpleasant. As we start to get towards half way the latakia starts to fade away and a sweetness starts to emerge creating a nutty carmel flavour that reminds me of peanut brittle. As we pass half way the nutty carmel flavour softens into a brown sugar type of flavour and a creaminess appears, this continues to the end of the bowl. The start of the bowl tastes nothing like the end of the bowl.

Pipe Used: pot

Stiff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stiff (7)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

This is the stuff for whoever likes to have Scotland in their nostrils. From the tin, it reminds me of Speyside single malts. Lighting it up only confirms these notes with the added bonus that you can now get a taste of it (at least I did). Burns cool and dry without being harsh at all.

Like with any Latakia blend, the smokiness could be overwhelming for some people I guess.

captain duff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
captain duff (9)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

50g tin. The wax paper was very stained on opening, and clearly had absorbed some of the moisture/casing. The tin aroma is slightly musty to my nose (in a good way), some SG floral in there, but also I think I detected some berries or perhaps plum.

The cut is nice and rough with different sizes (some quite large) which gives it a good handmade 'rustic' appearance.

When it comes to the flavour, clearly anyone who doesn't like latakia should avoid this one, but for those of us who do it gives a lovely sweet and spicey smoke, with the cavendish giving it a smooth creamy finish. Not unlike a good quality scotch smokey malt whisky in fact, and a glass of scotch would be a good partner to this blend, ideally on a cold winters evening next to a warm fire! The casing flavour is, like most english/scottish blends minimal and the tobaccos in the blend shine through as a result. Recommended!

SteveH Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SteveH (35)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Fairly dry-tasting, Latakia well to the fore (it also contains VA, Cav, and Burley), and with a hint of liquorice about it, as is usual with Lats. This is now one of my favourites - I'm half-way through my first tin of it.

SirLoirn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirLoirn (126)
Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Original review:

Tin: Comes redundantly wrapped in a large, crinkly golden bag stuffed in a large can. Mixture of medium browns with a fair percentage of black, medium ribbon cut, not sticky but the tobacco can be compressed into a ball, the ribbon quickly coming back apart. Fairly moist feel to it. Compared to old Dunhill tins I have, SC is not very smoky latakia. Perhaps it is the cavendish that has quite a musty smell.

Packing & Burning: Packs readily enough, lights with one or two matches.

Taste & Aroma: Initially buttery, the cavendish seeming to dominate the blend as it does in the tin aroma. Mr. Oblong described it as herbal or meadowy, the flue cured providing a background. The latakia is undetectable.

Nicotine: Strong and lingering

Overall: Not any of the Kendal scent. GH's Scottish Mixture and No. 5 Mixture, and SG's Best Brown, are all likewise stated by the blenders as having no added flavor. 3.7 stars.

Update:

Taste & Aroma: I too sense something like licorice.

Room Note: It does have something akin to an electrical fire. Definitely something to be enjoyed outdoors.

Overall: For the above two reasons, 2.9 stars.

Mr. Oblong Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Oblong (3)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

I'm no expert on what a "scotch cut" blend of this variety should be like, but I enjoyed it. There's a kind of warm, perfumed feeling to the tin aroma that I found relaxing and intriguing. I would not classify it as an aromatic; the flavors seem natural, even herbal. On lighting up, I found it to be a mild and subtle virginia blend whose fragrances reminded me of oatmeal (really fine oatmeal, not the Quaker oats variety I eat every morning) but still with a satisfying tobacco taste. The latakia is laid on with a light touch and I have no idea what the cavendish is flavored with, if anything. "Meadowy" is the word that floats in my mind here.

Pseudo Nim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pseudo Nim (107)

Blended for the Chicago Pipe Show, two of the 500 tins made were given to me by a visitor who kindly brought them back. A smooth interesting tobacco, not demanding and certainly no heavyweight, the cavendish is the first to make it's presence felt, followed by the latakia which seems to have been used more as a condiment on a bed of fine virginia. This is a very pleasant "Light" English ? I detect no flavouring other than the cavendish which seems to be prominent throughout. If your holding onto a tin of this and are wondering what it tastes like, then my comparison would be with Old Dublin or a Murray's 965.

Now I draw upon these two comparables for the following reasons, first the initial taste reminds me of Old Dublin, second, I've tried Murray's version of 965 and found it a little flat in comparison to Orlik's 965 (which I prefer, Philistine or not).

I could smoke this early in the morning, during a very hot day for a change of pace or late in the evening after too much "sensory overload" Sadly, when these two tins go, there shall be no more.

SmokeKing David Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeKing David (123)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

I got a sample of this at the Chicago show. I don't pick up a lot of flavor here; just a little licorice and some heat. I am confident that I will not buy this.

Govern Yourself Accordingly.

Opening the tin, the Latakia is forward, followed by VA sweetness and something different (see below...). The leaf is mostly bright yellow (VA), brown (Burley) with about 10--15 % black in there (BC and Lat). Medium ribbon cut throughout, and I do not find the pieces of ribs in the tin that some have mentioned a few years ago. Maybe quality management has improved in the meantime.

Stuffing and lighting are easy, as would be expected. The Latakia dominates, though just barely, closely followed by the toasty nuttiness of the BC, which seems to have been made from Dark Fired (probably Kentucky) and then pressed and toasted. That makes for a less sweet, but more aromatic BC than the usual sugared-VA affair, much to the improvement of the smoking experience. The VA is there, but in the background, and the Burley occasionally pops up with a hint of cocoa in the flavour.

Overall, a classic Scotch, but with a twist: less sweet due to the BC used here. Nice, quiet, cool smoke, no re-lights, and interesting enough to lean back and enjoy. It could be used as an all-day smoke, but that would be a waste of enjoyment potential.

Pipe Used: Kürle freehand, Passatore Oliva

Age When Smoked: Fresh from new tin

Purchased From: Appelhans, Lingen, Germany

Similar Blends: John Aylesbury - Scottish Blend, Robert McConnell - Scottish Blend.

DenizBeck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DenizBeck (255)
Mild Very Strong Overwhelming Tolerable to Strong

To my suprise this blend is now stamped by KOHLHASE & KOPP!! Tax-number 22602.. K&K. K&K also lists SG blends as theirs on the website...I was wondering where the "Made in England" sticker on the tin was.... 12€ for 50g, instead of 12,85 like all the other blends I knew before by SG.. it hought it may be a old tin, but just the contrary, its a brand new one by K&K... my heart sunk... "another blend that K&K ruined???? But K&K just imports SG blends I got told. Still, my tin was a disaster and must be a wrong tobacco or mis-production or sth....

The tin content is at first overly sweet...mostly red- and brown leaf, with VERY, VERY few black dots...you really have to search the black parts and most of the few black parts you find are goopy Black Cavendish that sticks to your fingers.. Unnatural fruit aroma, pungent, obtrusive balsamico and vinegar, with a chemical sweetness. After 5-10 mins of leaving the tin open it fades a bit and the smokiness will come up a bit and the chemical tone fades. Totall unnatural tin note, with hardly any tobacco aroma to it.

Thank god the smoke doesn't have the vinegar and balsamico note too much, yet a very chemical, pungent aroma is in the back. Hardly any aroma at all, it's like smoking hot air with a chemical, acidic and pungent "backbone"...

1-star for what I just smoked... it must be some sort of mis-production, no tobacco taste to be found, just chemical, sour-foul and very pungent (biting your nose) aromatization. after half the bowl it tastes like burnt rubber - im not even kidding! IF I get the chance to smoke a bowl from somewhere else, I'll may update, but like this, it's downright unsmokeable!

Pipe Used: Clay Pipe

Pipesolitude Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipesolitude (12)

Starts nice the first half of the bowl. Very robust smokiness, full bodied, with a distinct but complex taste that has an intriguing appeal. A kind of floral undertone to it, perhaps also with a soapy tone, but also robust (can be a bit too owerpowering for retro-haling). Difficult to pinpoint what it tastes like (also citrus note?), it reminds me a bit of Dr Pepper. Dry and cool smokiness, kind of refined feeling, burns very nice and leaves light ash. Nicotine a bit strong, over medium. So far so good. But second half of the bowl is a different story. It turns sharp and sour, or acrid (can give tounge bite). The mellow refined taste is overpowered by an aggressive smoke (the kind of effect when your mouth reacts by producing saliva and the stomach gets a bit upset). This is very unfortunate, a very nice tobacco that turns into an aggressive smoke as the bowl progresses. Impossible to finish without a beverage by the side. This one reminds me a bit of Dunhill's Durbar, both in taste and in dissapointment. Two stars for taste (but frankly as it develops it only deserves one star).

It is so unfortunate that this develops in such a dissapointing way, because it tastes really god at the beginning of the bowl. I recommend using the air-pocket packing technique, for better smoking results (and I simpley toss away the latter part of the bowl when it starts to taste bad).

Similar Blends: Durbar (Dunhill).

Samuel Gawith - Scotch Cut Mixture.

Quite a light coloured ribbon, including a few different size pieces, with only a smattering of black. What d'ya know, it's a Sam' G' which is wet!

The smoke from it only contains a slight touch of Latakia smokiness, there's a lot more rustic Burley and fresh Virginia. The black Cavendish doesn't bring a heavy vanilla flavour, but a mild sweetness. It burns well giving a medium temperature smoke. I get no bite.

Nicotine: medium. Room-note: pleasant-ish.

Scotch Cut'? Hmmmm, discontinued and I don't think that's too bad a thing. Somewhat recommended:

Two stars.

Pipe Used: Various

Age When Smoked: Various

Purchased From: Various

maigret fan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
maigret fan (72)
Medium to Strong None Detected Mild Very Strong

The problem with SG mixtures is how they burn. I had a tin of Grousemoor which needed I would relight it several times as the tobacco was damp although I had let the tin open for some weeks before smoking the content. Then I opened a Scotch cut mixture, bought at the same stockist, and it was so dry that it burnt strongly and almost damaged a pipe. That said, rather disappointing, too easy to smoke without enjoying it. I understand other rewievers were more lucky with their tin!

Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

Slightly similar (but also slightly better) than Rattray's Highland Targe, but with the addition of Burley.

As someone else said, the smell from this one when burning is weird: as soon as the light touched the tobacco, a nasty smell like of electrical fire struck me. After a while it actually smells better, but surely the unusual combination of Burley and Latakia causes this weird aroma.

Sorry, I am not a big fan of this combination (only some Cornell & Diehl blends do it in a pleasant way), and also the taste has something weird and "dirty". Mind you, it's not a bad tobacco at all: actually it's quite pleasant, though unspectacular and lacking both fullness and finesse/flavour development.

I sorely miss the lack of orientals, and I am also sure that the black cavendish always does more damage than good things.

At times I get glimpses of interesting stuff happening here: a nice creamy Virginia, a touch of nice Latakia smokiness. But other times, it gets a bit cardboardy and flat.

The good moments would make it a worthwhile blend enough, that's for sure, but it suffers in comparison to Skiff Mixture: in Skiff there are the same qualities of Scotch Cut (logically, being from the same blender and having some identical ingredients), but Skiff is immensely better, more complex, rich, rewarding and without the faults of Scotch Cut (which, again, are IMHO due to the intrusion of Burley and the cavendish).

Not bad at all, and I'll gladly smoke the whole tin. But I think that SG makes much better blends. And yet... at times, like tonight in a large Larry Roush "belge", this blend really shines and I would be tempted to give it a "Recommended" rating. Go figure... So get a tin and judge for yourself: please let it dry a bit, as it gets better with less moisture than it has from a fresh tin.

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (182)

Scotch Cut Mixture is something growing on me, after a false start.

A curious blend of bright Virginia & Burley, expertly seasoned with unflavoured Black Cavendish and small Latakia. The Burley just rounds off the sharp edges of the bright weed, without adding any earthy tone, the smoke resulting buttery, slightly citrusy & smoky.

The strength is perfectly medium and so the body. Burns absolutely cool and dry till the bottom. Again I see the highest quality Samuel makes use.

The best of this blend comes now that the wetness is almost gone. That strange “grilled steak” room aroma (SWMBO's words!) is also almost gone, nor she laments the Latakia typical discomfort…

In my experience, SCM is fancy enough to make things interesting for a daily use. I cannot avoid thinking to a somewhat lighter 965 of old.

Nice blend, four stars.

The Gentle Smoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Gentle Smoker (11)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

Always nice to hold something special in your hands, so expectations are high when opening it.

Although the tobacco is in a bag rather then vacuumed, it was very moist. Even after drying out for an hour, it was still a wet smoke after the first third of the pipe.

As for the taste. I am big lover of latakia and can appriciate a good black cavendish mixture, but although this should all be in here, in my opinion, this the taste went more to a very good virginia with a hint of Black Cavendish and the latakia??? I think it was left behind in Chicago.

But all things set aside, a good virginia and I will happily smoke this tin down to the bottom (maybe adding a hint more BC and latakia in the process, just to see what happens).