Scotch Cut Mixture is one of the original Samuel Gawith blends. A balanced selection of Virginias, Burley, Latakia and our own Empire Black Cavendish gives Scotch Cut a full flavoured yet medium strength smoking experience.

BrandSamuel Gawith
Blended BySamuel Gawith
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Burley, Latakia, Virginia
Strength
Taste

3.1
machinebcon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
machinebcon (50)

Pure and untouched tobacco, but unfortunately to the point that there were many (chunky) branches in the mixture. If you don't remove them, they will cause the 'electrical fire' smell that can really spoil the bowl. Carefully remove them, and you get a real classic Scottish mix. Absolutely natural, buttery smoke, medium in N and strength. Could easily qualify as every day/all day smoke, and because of its balance even as an island tobacco. Less L than Black Mallory, but similar in natural sweetness. Add a pinch of Orientals and you get one of the best smokes under the sun.

Remember: check the mix and remove all branches. A pity that SG doesn't care. Still: full score!

Tbombadil Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tbombadil (11)
Medium to Strong Very Strong Very Full Overwhelming

It appears that this is the first review for this tobacco. After trying some I can understand why. I've probably tried well over a hundred blends over the years, some aromatic, some Virginia, and some English, even a few burleighs but this one holds a special place of distinction for me. It is without a doubt, bar none, the worst tasting blend I've ever smoked.

As far as a room note this blend smells like an electrical fire. The aroma was so pronounced that I went into the kitchen to see what was burning after about an eogth of a bowl. This was one of the few tobaccos I've ever had to dump before finishing.

If you're looking for something to get that annoying mother-in-law to move out this one might just be for you. But be warned, your wife very likely will leave with her.

Stiff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stiff (7)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

This is the stuff for whoever likes to have Scotland in their nostrils. From the tin, it reminds me of Speyside single malts. Lighting it up only confirms these notes with the added bonus that you can now get a taste of it (at least I did). Burns cool and dry without being harsh at all.

Like with any Latakia blend, the smokiness could be overwhelming for some people I guess.

captain duff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
captain duff (6)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

50g tin. The wax paper was very stained on opening, and clearly had absorbed some of the moisture/casing. The tin aroma is slightly musty to my nose (in a good way), some SG floral in there, but also I think I detected some berries or perhaps plum.

The cut is nice and rough with different sizes (some quite large) which gives it a good handmade 'rustic' appearance.

When it comes to the flavour, clearly anyone who doesn't like latakia should avoid this one, but for those of us who do it gives a lovely sweet and spicey smoke, with the cavendish giving it a smooth creamy finish. Not unlike a good quality scotch smokey malt whisky in fact, and a glass of scotch would be a good partner to this blend, ideally on a cold winters evening next to a warm fire! The casing flavour is, like most english/scottish blends minimal and the tobaccos in the blend shine through as a result. Recommended!

SteveH Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SteveH (28)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Fairly dry-tasting, Latakia well to the fore (it also contains VA, Cav, and Burley), and with a hint of liquorice about it, as is usual with Lats. This is now one of my favourites - I'm half-way through my first tin of it.

SirLoirn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirLoirn (126)
Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Original review:

Tin: Comes redundantly wrapped in a large, crinkly golden bag stuffed in a large can. Mixture of medium browns with a fair percentage of black, medium ribbon cut, not sticky but the tobacco can be compressed into a ball, the ribbon quickly coming back apart. Fairly moist feel to it. Compared to old Dunhill tins I have, SC is not very smoky latakia. Perhaps it is the cavendish that has quite a musty smell.

Packing & Burning: Packs readily enough, lights with one or two matches.

Taste & Aroma: Initially buttery, the cavendish seeming to dominate the blend as it does in the tin aroma. Mr. Oblong described it as herbal or meadowy, the flue cured providing a background. The latakia is undetectable.

Nicotine: Strong and lingering

Overall: Not any of the Kendal scent. GH's Scottish Mixture and No. 5 Mixture, and SG's Best Brown, are all likewise stated by the blenders as having no added flavor. 3.7 stars.

Update:

Taste & Aroma: I too sense something like licorice.

Room Note: It does have something akin to an electrical fire. Definitely something to be enjoyed outdoors.

Overall: For the above two reasons, 2.9 stars.

Mr. Oblong Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Oblong (3)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

I'm no expert on what a "scotch cut" blend of this variety should be like, but I enjoyed it. There's a kind of warm, perfumed feeling to the tin aroma that I found relaxing and intriguing. I would not classify it as an aromatic; the flavors seem natural, even herbal. On lighting up, I found it to be a mild and subtle virginia blend whose fragrances reminded me of oatmeal (really fine oatmeal, not the Quaker oats variety I eat every morning) but still with a satisfying tobacco taste. The latakia is laid on with a light touch and I have no idea what the cavendish is flavored with, if anything. "Meadowy" is the word that floats in my mind here.

Pseudo Nim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pseudo Nim (96)

Blended for the Chicago Pipe Show, two of the 500 tins made were given to me by a visitor who kindly brought them back. A smooth interesting tobacco, not demanding and certainly no heavyweight, the cavendish is the first to make it's presence felt, followed by the latakia which seems to have been used more as a condiment on a bed of fine virginia. This is a very pleasant "Light" English ? I detect no flavouring other than the cavendish which seems to be prominent throughout. If your holding onto a tin of this and are wondering what it tastes like, then my comparison would be with Old Dublin or a Murray's 965.

Now I draw upon these two comparables for the following reasons, first the initial taste reminds me of Old Dublin, second, I've tried Murray's version of 965 and found it a little flat in comparison to Orlik's 965 (which I prefer, Philistine or not).

I could smoke this early in the morning, during a very hot day for a change of pace or late in the evening after too much "sensory overload" Sadly, when these two tins go, there shall be no more.

SmokeKing David Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeKing David (115)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

I got a sample of this at the Chicago show. I don't pick up a lot of flavor here; just a little licorice and some heat. I am confident that I will not buy this.

Govern Yourself Accordingly.

Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

Samuel Gawith Scotch Cut . The actual mix has a very erratic appearance , it is mainly lighter brown with a fair amount of darker pieces in there but it is the sizes where it differs most , there is almost every possible shape of ribbon right from tiny up to some longer/twig like pieces . The moisture level is exactly as I like it to be , not at all damp to the touch and not dry . This lights up very well , it takes to the flame with ease , approximately 3 touches of the lighter and the burn is a really even one . The flavour is not as I would expect from a blend with Latakia , it has a pleasant smokiness in there however it isn't ONLY a smoky taste , you do get a fair selection of Virginia , Burley and black Cavendish , in all fairness the latter being the least recognizable . The build of the smoke is pleasurable in the fact it's a nice medium thickness , not heavy and not thin . Nicotine amount is perfect for me , neither strong nor faint and throughout the entire bowl I can honestly say that I suffered absolutely no bite . The room note is quite pleasant as it is not at all heavy , just a more delicate one . When the pipe is done it is left pretty much "clean as a whistle" so a good regular smoke this would make !

Pipe Used: Davorin Denovic Morta

Purchased From: Smoke King

Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

Slightly similar (but also slightly better) than Rattray's Highland Targe, but with the addition of Burley.

As someone else said, the smell from this one when burning is weird: as soon as the light touched the tobacco, a nasty smell like of electrical fire struck me. After a while it actually smells better, but surely the unusual combination of Burley and Latakia causes this weird aroma.

Sorry, I am not a big fan of this combination (only some Cornell & Diehl blends do it in a pleasant way), and also the taste has something weird and "dirty". Mind you, it's not a bad tobacco at all: actually it's quite pleasant, though unspectacular and lacking both fullness and finesse/flavour development.

I sorely miss the lack of orientals, and I am also sure that the black cavendish always does more damage than good things.

At times I get glimpses of interesting stuff happening here: a nice creamy Virginia, a touch of nice Latakia smokiness. But other times, it gets a bit cardboardy and flat.

The good moments would make it a worthwhile blend enough, that's for sure, but it suffers in comparison to Skiff Mixture: in Skiff there are the same qualities of Scotch Cut (logically, being from the same blender and having some identical ingredients), but Skiff is immensely better, more complex, rich, rewarding and without the faults of Scotch Cut (which, again, are IMHO due to the intrusion of Burley and the cavendish).

Not bad at all, and I'll gladly smoke the whole tin. But I think that SG makes much better blends. And yet... at times, like tonight in a large Larry Roush "belge", this blend really shines and I would be tempted to give it a "Recommended" rating. Go figure... So get a tin and judge for yourself: please let it dry a bit, as it gets better with less moisture than it has from a fresh tin.

Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

A smattering of Latakia and unflavored Black Cavendish seem to be slightly in the lead with the Virginia flavor also in the hunt. A Lakeland style Dunhill Nightcap without the Perique is the closest comparison to any known blend that I've smoked. The burn is very slow and the taste is lighter than I would have expected. The strength is certainly there, but does not deliver any knockout blows.

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (155)

Scotch Cut Mixture is something growing on me, after a false start.

A curious blend of bright Virginia & Burley, expertly seasoned with unflavoured Black Cavendish and small Latakia. The Burley just rounds off the sharp edges of the bright weed, without adding any earthy tone, the smoke resulting buttery, slightly citrusy & smoky.

The strength is perfectly medium and so the body. Burns absolutely cool and dry till the bottom. Again I see the highest quality Samuel makes use.

The best of this blend comes now that the wetness is almost gone. That strange “grilled steak” room aroma (SWMBO's words!) is also almost gone, nor she laments the Latakia typical discomfort…

In my experience, SCM is fancy enough to make things interesting for a daily use. I cannot avoid thinking to a somewhat lighter 965 of old.

Nice blend, four stars.

The Gentle Smoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Gentle Smoker (11)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

Always nice to hold something special in your hands, so expectations are high when opening it.

Although the tobacco is in a bag rather then vacuumed, it was very moist. Even after drying out for an hour, it was still a wet smoke after the first third of the pipe.

As for the taste. I am big lover of latakia and can appriciate a good black cavendish mixture, but although this should all be in here, in my opinion, this the taste went more to a very good virginia with a hint of Black Cavendish and the latakia??? I think it was left behind in Chicago.

But all things set aside, a good virginia and I will happily smoke this tin down to the bottom (maybe adding a hint more BC and latakia in the process, just to see what happens).