A variety of Brown & Bright Virginias with a touch of Latakia & fine Turkish, steamed then a hint of Vanilla has been added.

BrandSamuel Gawith
Blended BySamuel Gawith
FlavoringVanilla
Strength
Taste

2.6
marosi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
marosi (47)

This is very nice mild english blend. The predominant characteristics are the VA's and turkish. The vanilla casing is very much in the background, and does not really move this blend out of the firmly "english" realm. This is typical of a host of english blends, especially from Gawith, where various flavorings and casings are used along with tobacco components that are classically english.

The tobacco itself is a nice mixture of ribbon cut virginias and latakia with turkish leaf. The turkish to my palate is the predominant taste component followed by the latakia, and the VA's provide a very nice base and offer a little nip on the tongue. Overall this lights readily and burns easily with few relights, and will not get hot unless you puff too quickly.

This is not a flavor bomb of any sort, and is a fine mild english. It offers a little more sweetness than some similar blends, but is not a "sweet" blend by any stretch. This is a nice mild smoke with a mild to medium nicotine content, making it a fine choice for when you do not want to be too challenged by any particular flavor profile or nicotine strength. With that said, these same mild characteristics mean that it is probably not going to make it onto anyone's list of "must have" blends, except to fill a void between other more distinct offerings.

Since we are now able to reference the pipe used for the review, and pipes can make a huge difference in how a blend performs and tastes, I thought that I would include a note on my pipe of choice here. I used a vintage GBD virgin billiard which would be considered small by todays standards, but still offers plenty of capacity for a 30 minute to one hour smoke. This pipe is at least 40-50 years old, is light as air, and smokes wonderfully with cool english blends. For those interested it is shape 124, which is identified by GBD as a medium size billiard. This fact shows you how things have changed over the years, as pipes have gotten, on average, larger and larger. If you look for an estate GBD be careful as many have been reamed beyond a usable state. In this case the pipe and blend were literally made for one another and produce a very enjoyable experience.

Pipe Used: GBD Virgin Billiard

Age When Smoked: 4 yrs

The latakia is basically as obvious as the grassy, semi-sweet Virginias. The Virginias are natural tasting with a touch of citrus. The Turkish seems to be a minor player because it's not always noticeable. The vanilla is very lightly added and at times, totally undetectable. It's not a bad blend, but it's not a very aptly named product because I could list a lot of other products in this genre that are better. There's nothing here that causes it to stand out in crowded market of English mixtures. However, you can certainly do worse, and if you're looking for a mild to medium English, you'll get enough enjoyment out of it. Really deserves two and a half stars.

CPT/VSG Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CPT/VSG (70)

This is the second SG blend that I have found to react oddly with my tongue and taste buds, leaving my sense of flavor diminished after a bowl. Not exactly tongue bite but something akin. That aside, the blend is pretty mild in flavor but a worthy SG product for a piper seeking an all day light English.

SirLoirn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirLoirn (126)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

Tin: Abundant, smoky, spicy Turkish bouquet, mix of tans, brown, and blacks. Medium ribbon cut. Supple but not sticky.

Taste-Aroma: Nice soft, tasty, sweet, with a spicy effect, a nutty tone, with the Turkish fragrant herbal taste and aroma predominating. A stoved sour cigarette taste develops towards the bottom. Classic tongue bite develops with consecutive bowls.

Nicotine: moderate

Room Note: Turkish cigarettes

Overall: The nice initial oriental taste at the top, followed by classic tongue bite by the bottom of the bowl, reminds me of Balkan Sasieni, which I recently tossed out. Two stars.

Sylvian Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sylvian (28)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Tolerable to Strong

Not my idea of perfection. A decent VA/Latakia/Oriental mixture, but nothing outstanding. The vanilla flavoring seems to spoil the overall impression. One tin was enough.

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (134)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

My consumption of English tobaccos has grown so bloated that I've looked affectionately over the fence in search of something different.

I've tried Balkans, and to be fair to my own lack of sophistication, I'm not quite able to pick them apart from their English cousins in a blind test. Virginias are fine, but sauced up they can get nasty. I'm not averse to a topping if it doesn't burn the hell out of my tongue.

I thought then, maybe there is an aromatic out there that is both unique in taste and worthy in strength. I immediately ruled out 1792 and Royal Yacht. Sure, they're great, but I'll take them in small, bi-annual doses.

What I was really looking for was a strong Cavendish tobacco. Is there such a thing? What if I laced Captain Black with Perique? That would be wrong.

On one of my infrequent trips to the regional B&M, I mentioned this to the man behind the counter. He immediately offered Perfection as a capable alternative. He said it was a sweeter smoke, medium body, with a vanilla taste.

When I fired this thing up I immediately detected the Latakia. In my opinion, a blend with any Latakia will quickly make this the strongest element in the blend. It's true, Perfection has a topping, but I'll be damned if I can detect any. It's heresy perhaps to ask for a cased aromatic over a natural English mixture. Maybe I'm just not getting this pipe smoking thing.

To me, Perfection is a mild English with few discerning traits. It's decent, but there's too many decent tobaccos that fall in the same category. I'll keep looking.

Now hold on a sec...don't think that you are buying an aromatic if you purchase a tin of this mixture. The tin smell, as I could discern, was that of an english...there was no vanilla aroma present...but there was a faintly peculiar smell I could not perceive singularly. Upon lighting this there was no vanilla to be noticed as well...what the?? I think whatever was added is so slight or not typical vanilla topping that it goes without notice. That, or, I got a bad tin?

This smoked well after some drying time, produced a nice volume of smoke and had a little bite to it, the Va's were assertive but not in a sweet way...more like an atringent type effect. The latakia content is less than most english blends and the turkish seemed most prominent...this reminded me more of a balkan blend without the latakia showing itself prominently. It was a nice medium smoke, burned well, stayed lit well but just didn't impress me as much as the oft mentioned Squandron leader. I guess since this was made for one man's idea/perception of perfection it stands to reason that it may well not be perfection for many others....it wasn't mine...but its not a bad smoke...definitely not what I expected.

Guyrox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Guyrox (131)

This blend was a huge deception, considering Samuel Gawith's reputation...

The tin aroma was Latakia Oriental, with a very distinctive vanilla aroma in the background, just nicely floating there. Nice long cut of gold, brown, medium brown and black. The moisture level was rather high, so I let it dry oput for 4-5 days, then I smoked.

To my most utterly surprise, the taste was flat, which didn't tie in with the tin aroma, which promised a rich, satisfying smoke.

I still suspect i got a bad tin, but I hesitate to order some more. i will eventually, though. Just to confirm/infirm my first impression.

A pity!

Backwoods Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Backwoods Piper (47)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant

I must admit this smoke let me down. Any tin that depicts a hunting dog should contain an exceptional tobacco right? Guess I can't use that as a gauge for a good tobacco any more.

All kidding aside I thought this tobacco would have a little more fanfare associated with a name like Perfection. Upon opening the tin you will find a predominantly ribbon cut tobacco with some broken flake mixed in. The VA's dominate this blend with a hint of Latikia and Turkish chiming in. All at once a fade to Vanilla I guess I just can't adjust to this kind of a pairing. Kind of like I don't find ketchup an appealing compliment to french toast.

This isn't an awful tobacco in fact it smokes cool and clean. This tobacco just misses the boat on your hybrid english aromatic blends. I will finish this tin but I doubt I will purchase this one again. Sorry Sam.............hey is it too late to trade this tin for a tin of Best Brown?

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)

Perfection is, if not perfection, then, well, at least OK, the hyperbolic trade name nothwithstanding. I'd let my tin age for at least a year, so note that my comments may not be valid for newly ripe samples.

Perfection's cut is unusual these days, like that of many Gawith mixtures. My sample came in closely packed strands with the heft and texture of dreadlocks. Pulling these apart to pack pipes, I noticed a fetid smell and worried that my tin had gotten moldy, a problem one hears about with Gawith. I never uncovered any mold, or any Perique, so cannot account for the smell.

On lighting, I found this to be a mild and exceptionally smooth smoke. The smooth texture of the smoke was perhaps the best part of the Perfection experience. The taste tended toward neutral, with a slight sweet undertaste, and every bowl smoked cooly.

I smoked this tin in a variety of pipes--meerschaums, old Comoys, new Tatums--and Perfection's taste and burning characteristics stayed remarkably consistent.

Perfection is not a complex tobacco, but it is well-made and terrifically consistent. I have another tin in the cellar, and look forward to smoking it, although I doubt I'll buy another.

BriarPatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarPatch (33)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Milder than Squadron Leader, with lots of Vanilla. A good gateway tobacco for smokers wanting to venture into the wonderful world of full English. Too mild for full English smokers, and too much Vanilla for that matter. Otherwise, good quality tobacco, and properly moist.

cmhpipesmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cmhpipesmoker (21)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

It's almost impossible for me to give a true review of this blend since I ended up adding nearly an ounce of Cyprian latakia to a 50 gram tin. My first experience with this blend was just a whiff of it, in bulk, at my local pipe shop. Even though described as a mild blend, it did have hints of the latakia aroma I like. It wasn't until several weeks later that I went back to purchase several ounces of it but found that they were out of the bulk. I ended up buying the 50 gram tin and it sat around my house for nearly a year before I popped the tin. When I did, it had a flat aroma. With every tin I open, I typically dump them in glass jars for aging. I let this sit for several weeks before smoking a bowl. Again, its aroma was just flat and I was not, in my opinion, smoking even a mild English blend. Not being very patient (I probably should have let it sit for several months), I went back to my local pipe shop and purchased an ounce of Cyprian latakia. A small portion of it I added to another blend but nearly three quarters of this went into the rest of PM. Interestingly, its aroma (pre lit) is now close to that of Skiff. However, once lit, it does not smoke like Skiff but as a slightly sweet, almost medium robust English blend. I'm not saying this is a bad blend because I believe Sam Gawith to be one of the finest blenders and produces high quality blends. I love both Squadron Leader and Commonwealth Mixture. This is just a blend that's not right for me. Without the additional latakia, I gotta give it a two rating. However, give it a whirl as is and you may like it. If you find you don't like it and if you're into "making your own blends", you won't be disappointed by adding in some latakia.

ChappistMonk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ChappistMonk (7)
Mild to Medium Very Strong Medium Tolerable

Reading the mainly positive reviews below I'm wondering if I got a dud tin.

Not impressed. The supposedly light vanilla flavouring is totally overpowering, both on the nose when sniffing a newly-opened tin and on the palate when smoking. It also tastes suspiciously synthetic. I have tried leaving the tin for a few weeks and coming back to it and am not much mollified.

All a matter of taste, I suppose, but I find this pretty much unsmokeable.

Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Strong

I hadn?t reviewed this tobacco because, quite frankly, I don?t like it at all. I wouldn?t go as far as to say it is dreadful, but it definitely pales against other Gawith offerings. I hadn?t really found the time to put into words the reason I dislike artificially sweetened Latakia or Oriental mixtures (be it by the topping or the casing methods). But, well, I?ve just been on a holiday and after giving it some thought, I hope you don?t mind me sharing my perspective.

Personally I dislike artificially sweet Latakia mixtures. I get the impression the tobacco becomes bloated, heavier than it really is, and confusing. More or less the same thing happened when I smoked Bob?s Chocolate Flake, or MacBarns? Latakia. The thing is I don?t enjoy the STRUGGLE in my palate between the vanilla casing agent (or chocolate, or cherry or whatever) and the salty-mineral-earthly-humid leather-burnt wood nuances of Latakias (especially the Cyprus variety)

Mind you, I?m not referring to the savoury interplay between Latakia, and the NATURAL sweetness of Virginias, Orientals, or even Burleys. In fact McConell?s Scottish Mixture uses a fire-cured Kentucky that provides a naturally sweet and smoky enhanced contrast to the Latakia, not to mention Dunhill?s use of an UNSWEETENED variety of brown Cavendish leaf in My Mixture 965 (nowadays I have no idea what Orlik uses in that blend).

However, in Perfection, as in Chocolate Flake, or in MacBarens? Latakia mixture, there?s too much of a contradiction in flavour, and it poses, at least for my poor palate, something impossible to solve. I mean can one imagine the Pittsburgh Steelers? Iron Curtain playing a gentle and suave defence against the Dallas Cowboys? Not that Latakia should have the strength of Mean Joe Green or Jack Lambert, but it definitely is no Lynn Swann either (yes, yes, I?ve been watching the NFL channel).

PipePaladin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipePaladin (78)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

This one is similar to squadron leader but with a light - hard to detect note of vanilla! Not 'perfect' but nice English alternative to your rotation!

tonyg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tonyg (103)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

Zulujerk says it all. The only difference is that Perfection will never again see the inside of any of my pipes. A couple of bowlfuls or this is enough for a lifetime.

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Very Pleasant

If you smoke aromatic pipe tobacco blends to please the crowd, you'd better be socializing with some fairly stout friends. Otherwise, you might end up playing solitaire afterall. Perfection is not a teaser, but a substantial blend, manly dare I say.

This would have been better named "Pleasing" rather than "Perfection." I would want a bit more vanilla before I would proclaim it perfect.

This is nothing less than an English blend Americanized, making it less direct and a little more gentle than it would likely end up without the added flavoring.

Having smoked Squadron Leader for years and consider it my all-time favorite English blend, Perfection seems akin to SL, but a little softer, with a definite, though fairly mild, vanilla topping. Even the unburned tobacco is softer to the touch than SL. Perhaps the steaming and topping have conditioned the leaf to this effect.

This smokes nicely after a bit of drying out, smells good even with the substantial Turkish element in the mixture and has a mouthful of taste. The remnant ash is mostly grey with a bit of white. Pipe was left clean, as was my palate. Good for an occasional change for latakia and Turkish leaf lovers.

Sasquatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sasquatch (65)
Mild to Medium Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

Well, Sam Gawith struck out on this one. Mixing Captain Black and Standard Mixture Mild does not yield anything that excites me. I just could not get this blend to taste like much of anything. Room note is all right. Maybe a transitional mix for some - it's easy enough to smoke, and quality is high.

For me, I'd rather sink into some Commonwealth or Squadron Leader if I want an English, and if I want an aromatic, I'll hit the Captain Black or Argosy or something. Once again, a tobacco tries to do it all, and comes out flat.

NapaWineLover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NapaWineLover (66)
Medium Very Mild Medium Very Pleasant

This tobacco is exceptional and delivers IMO what it promises. A very lightly aromatic (read that - softened aromas with a mysterious creamy yet not easily identified as vanilla-ish tone) When I bought this I cleared out a small tobacconist's aged stock of a few tins.

This tobacco has English breeding and is what I call a very "public" tobacco. I found the flavors to be quite good. As I read some of the reviews, I notice that the lower ratings came from those that seemlingly expected something else.

Cheers, VC

*Update to 9/05 review above - I've downgraded this blend because I have found other blends that ring this bell with higher quality tobacco and better consistency.

emmbee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
emmbee (174)

I agree with distinguished gentleman: this is the most interesting, yet decidedly bland tobacco you'll ever try. It's full of mono-dimensional complexity, if such a description exists. It's cool, wet, damp and musky like an English autumn. I almost believe that this tobacco is boiled, not steamed. Imagine bangers and mash or steak and kidney pie - comforting stuff but after 5 or 6 mouthfuls, you get the idea. A truly distinguished English, nonetheless. Kind of what I had hoped Dunhill 965 or the Standard Medium would be like prior to its outsourcing. Gawith is still a steadfastly English blending house, and compared to a lot of the crap now being made in Denmark or Germany, this is a cut above. A blend no fastidious Anglophile pipe smoker should miss.

Three of five stars

Professor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Professor (67)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Perfection from Samuel Gawith is a pleasantly mild smoke. I fully expected to note a stronger vanilla casing in smoking this weed, but the casing is barely noticeable. The touch of Latakia, however, is welcome and helps to keep the Virginia base from becoming boring. I enjoy Perfection even though I will not rush to purchase more. Samuel Gawith blends much better tobacco. Nevertheless, Perfection is enjoyable and a respite from my catalogue of standards.

Elric Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Elric (34)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Very Pleasant

Ahh, Perfection! My first foray into the Samuel Gawith tobacco line and it certainly urges me to continue my explorations.

Tin aroma is standard English fare but the edges are softened just a bit by the vanilla topping. Speaking of which, the topping is so parsimoniously applied as to be a virtual no-show during the actual smoking of this fine blend (however, being a predominantly aromatic smoker, I may simply be a bit jaded).

The tobacco is moist but not to the point that it incurs any lighting or smoking penalty. In fact, the smoke is surprisingly dry and light. The flavor of the tobacco itself takes centerstage and is exceptionally enjoyable, indoors or out. The latakia component seems quite light for an English blend but I also consider that a plus in this instance. The second half of the bowl is, by far, the better with Perfection. It seems to stove itself a bit and release a number of complementary and complex flavors.

This is simply good stuff and I'll endeavor to keep a tin handy at all times.

4/05 Update

Ahh, what a fickle thing is a pipe smoker's fancy. Another trip around the sun and quite a few blends later, I find I simply don't return to this one very often. Picadilly and Pelican have knocked this one out of my rotation pretty completely. I'll try to smoke a bowl now and then to deplete my stock, but I shan't be purchasing more.

Adguru Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Adguru (20)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This is an interesting blend to be sure. It is one that you have to nurse by being very light on the draw mixing the smoke with a porton of room air to gain the subtle flavors that are there otherwise the VA overpower everything else that is going on here. I don't consider it a well-behaved tobacco. Smoking a 1/3 bowl while breaking in a Savinelli natural, 4 slow draws produced a flood of fluid in the stem. This will keep me from working at finding the complexities that I am sure are there.

Inquisitor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Inquisitor (155)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I was hoping for another crossover English to add to my McClelland #5110/Frog Morton (and siblings) & Clan Shaw Mountain rotation. I don't smoke English blends too often, but the sweet & smokey combo just fits the mood sometimes. Perfection doesn't make the list, though. To be fair, it doesn't really try.

Perfection fails, to my taste, by trying to be two things at once - a straight English blend, and a mild, non-sweet aromatic. The vanilla flavoring is very sparingly applied, is not sweet, and seems to detract from the English characteristics. The vanilla adds some smoothness, but it doesn't integrate, seems like an afterthought. I would like this better if more casing was added. I find the English tobaccos to be only average, so eliminating the casing completely wouldn't help much either. Conclusion: Not bad, but nothing to draw me back.

First, let me just commend lustra. I always enjoy his well written reviews and look forward to reading them. Once again, lustra hit the nail on the head with Perfection mixture.

I also found the blend to be pleasant, and like lustra, my tin was well aged, so I cannot speak to whether aging makes this blend more mellow. All I know is the tin I smoked was cool and mellow. And I also found the blend to lack differing layers of flavor.

I know the description of the blend says its topped with a bit of vanilla. But frankly, I never tasted it.

Pork Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pork (4)
Very Strong Medium to Strong Extra Full Pleasant

"Perfection"... far from it!

It was obvious from first light that it came from the same blender as Squadron Leader... it started as a classic English much like S.L. But my first warning came when my wife said "that smells pretty nice". IMHO, room aroma is inversly proportional to flavor. This blend was no exception.

Shortly into the bowl, that distinct "English" flavor yielded to a mild... then not so mild... then overwhelming soap taste. Then, it went from bad to worse. The "soap" was overpowered by a strong vomit flavor.

After the bowl mercifully went out, I found that Perfection had burned cleanly to the bottom leaving only a light ash. [I mention this so there can be no doubt that I gave it a fair chance]. I was left with the ash... and a tongue bite not generally experienced with English blends.

For a truly classic English... I'll stick with my beloved Squadron Leader.

Albion1956 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Albion1956 (41)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Those were the days, when you search the land over, just to come back and have your tobacconist develop a blend to your likeing. Well Perfection is just that, a weel made blend of quality Va's, a portion of latakia, and a Turkish presence. Upon the can opening ceremony, I detected a vanilla presence, mixed well with the aforesaid, and a nice looking blend it is. After some fresh air, no not me, the tobacco, we loaded up an old Loewe. The first light brought out a classy taste of fine tobacco's, with just a waffing of vanilla. Tamp and proceed, this was done with some care, so not as to rush the process, and get tongue bit from the combination of Va's and vanilla. This blend smoked well, with a slight golden color to the pale ash, and required no other light. there was very little dottle, and like all flavored tobacco's, this one is no different, smoke it in a committed pipe. A well made tobacco, especially if you like vanilla, as I said, it's not a strong presence, but it is there. I tried this with a head cold, and I may try it again.

Mr. Motoyoshi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Motoyoshi (22)

I am a huge fan of Samuel Gawith Blends. I find their tobaccos to be of very high quality and are always complex or very rich. I'm guessing some would consider this a "cross over" blend but I'm gonna call it an Aromatic. It was something that I was very interested in trying from a brand that has brought me FVF, SL, BBF and Firedance Flake.

The tin has a wonderful presentation of dark blacks and browns with specks of beige and gold. I got a top note of sweetness/ vanilla. I was a little surprised to hear that others didn't detect any casing when they opened the tin. The Vanilla seems to smooth out the Latakia and Oriental's scent from the tin. It's very refreshing.

The tobacco straight out of the tin is a little moist and can definitely use some drying. Packs like most other ribbon cuts but is a little thicker than some other blenders. It is definitely not an overly gooey tobacco and won't leave your hand with excessive flavoring residue.

Lighting this tobacco there is a slight hint of vanilla. It's hard to call this a vanilla because it's an overall general sweetness. It does a great job of pushing the flavor of the orientals with the latakia into the forefront while providing a nice undertone of sweetness. Pipeline hit the nail on the head comparing this to a softer version of Squadron Leader. The VAs don't seem to do much in this blend, or at least not in my experience with it. But the first half of the bowl has some nice interplay between the "vanilla" topping and the other tobaccos (mainly latakia and turkish/oriental). There does seem to be a bit too much of Turkish taking the spotlight away from the other tobaccos. It doesn't tend to bite too much but does leave a funny feeling in your mouth. But I have had this reaction to some English blends.

Now, the remaining half of the bowl is something that's frustrating and disappointing. It seems that the topping wears off (or potentially compounds on itself) and gives off a very ashy flavors. One of the reviewers, Sirloirn, aptly put "cigarette taste towards the bottom". I don't know if it's just too much Turkish or what. But, without fail almost every bowl, of every material that I have, of various sizes of pipes, the latter half just turns into an ashy flavor with the occasional hint of Latakia. The one positive about finishing a bowl is that there is a clean white ash and no gooey mess.

If this tobacco could maintain that gentle balance that it has for the first half, this would be an easy 3 star blend if not bordering on a 4 star. But, since I can't have a positive latter half of the bowl, it's only good for 2 stars.

Alas, I could not enjoy this blend as much as I wanted to. I have found Glynn Quelch's Chocolate and Vanilla to be the Aromatic Latakia blend I was looking for. Though it is nothing like Perfection.

Pipe Used: Cobs, Briars and Mortas

o3Ho3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
o3Ho3 (28)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Strong

Interesting to taste. Interesting to observe. Interesting to smell. Latakia touch is more than a touch and virginia make the difference. But that's all. sry guys.

Pipe Used: always Peterson

Like for so many others, for me the casing on this was almost undetectable. As an Oriental/latakia blend, this is a very nice but not overly interesting blend for me. The Orientals were well buried, and even though the Latakia was not too strong, it was still the major note by far.

Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Mild Tolerable

I had found that the SG line of flakes were very inconsistently sized. The cut would be thin for one flake and then thick for the next flake. Also the flakes were a little difficult to rub out. Lastly, I had trouble keeping this stuff lit and producing an acceptable amount of smoke. These flakes had really nice flavor though. Eventually dropped the whole line of flakes due to these drawbacks.

Ok..Whats up with the weird flavor additives!!

Demetri Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Demetri (97)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I should have known better than to put this in my pipe. A sample, unsolicited, from my B&M tempted me to lose my mind and think I could stray from my antipathy toward flavored Latakia blends. The esteem in which Samuel Gawith blends are normally held I will, probably unfairly, blame for my momentary insanity.

As with Esoterica's St. Ives, I had the identical, feeling of nausea trying to smoke this. Cross-over "English" blends and I do not do well together. When I want vanilla a once in six months cob load of 1Q suffices. Here the flavoring just ruins good tobacco to the point I can't really rate it outside of the flavoring. Sorry, guys.

Yes, the desert island test would find that I would quit smoking rather than suffer this one.

machinebcon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
machinebcon (50)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The name is misleading, this is not Perfection. It is something like a differently flavoured Westmorland, with a little bit more Latakia smokiness, and some natural sweetness. The casing is subtle but noticeable. The Orientals give it a slight Turkish Delight taste, a bit like Basma (?) though I doubt it comes from Basma indeed. Excellent burning qualities, easy to pack, very long ribbons and a comparably high amount of Lat in this tin. If classified as "English blend", Perfection is one of the worse at Gawith's. As an aromatic, it is excellent. As an "English Aromatic" I have smoked better ones. 2.5 of 5 stars, if you like Westmorland, you probably like Perfection too. Addendum (July 2013) -- now after some serious drying (half year!) it has become a great, musky, smokey blend. Very smokey, slightly bitter, and the vanilla is completely gone. Bumping to 3.5 of 5 stars.

renwardhoop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
renwardhoop (58)
Very Strong Strong Overwhelming Tolerable

Somebody got a load of old leather boots together and set fire to them.

Perfection is whats left over.

Not for me.

Doubty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Doubty (1)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Certainly this is an enigmatic tobacco and while the guess work and trying can be fun - I also am not sure if the inability to characterize this tobacco is not in some way a detriment, that said... I have been smoking it for about a week and am half way through the tin so perhaps five days with three or so bowls per day enough to form some opinions.I have noticed that the few larger bowled pipes I have have been a bit kinder to this blend then my smaller bowled pipes.I prefer the latakia content in my English style mixtures to be between 20 and 35% so for me this is right on the mark.It is smooth and I am secure in my judgement and feelings about Samual Gawith that it is a high quality tobacco.I like the moisture level and it is a consistent and honest tobacco.I will buy it again but will certainly not stock up on it or buy it more then once a year I see some similarity to a tobacco I remember from long ago Temple Bar from Druquer and SOns out in the Bay area.

tleek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tleek (51)

This is a nice tobacco. Contrary to what others have said, the Vanilla is definitely there,very very subtle, but there. Its actually a vanilla like sweetness, rather than a strong vanilla flavor, but it is a lovely compliment to the light english blend. The blend is truly a blend, and it is a little hard to identify the different components. Very light, by the standards of one who enjoys very full Latakia blends, but not overly light. It taste like you would imagine a perfect light english blend tasting like, with some sweetness added in. Dont expect an aromatic type casing and terrific smells, the sole purpose of this flavor is to slightly sweeten the taste.

If i had to say, i would say the primary taste comes from a mixture of sweet virginias and turkish. The latakia is pretty light and the vanilla adds to the flavor slightly rather than dominating it.

If your a fan of Early Morning Pipe or Squadron Leader, i would recommend you give this a try.

So this is Samuel Gawith's idea of perfection? Well, it isn't mine, and it's a fair bit less perfect than some of their other blends. Unlike some of the other reviewers, I had no trouble picking out the vanilla. It was more prominent in the room note but I tasted it as well. It was the Turkish that I couldn't find. The virginias were out front with the latakia well to the rear and the vanilla flavor sort of lightly draped over the proceedings. But the Turkish was MIA in my tin. I got a feeling that the vanilla flavoring was just evident enough to throw this blend into confusion. It was not unpleasant but, like Grousemoor, it just seemed to me that SG didn't put their best tobacco into this mix. Smoking BBF and FVF along with a slew of others lets me know that they have stellar virginias in their house, but chose not to use them for this one.

I'm not sure what the steaming process does unless it's like stoving, which would definitely tone down the assertiveness of the tobacco. It surely did so here. Again, the concept is intriguing but the execution didn't fare quite so well. Worth a try if you like very light latakia and want something that smells better in the room. If you're looking for something more flavorful, SG has plenty to choose from.

alpyesilay Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
alpyesilay (9)

One of my best blend. Like its name a kind of perfect one.

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)

I usually like my English blends on the light side, I find Latakia heavy blends can also have a tartness to them, perfection really is sweet tasting but with plenty of smokey flavor. The Virginia still takes the main stage and the Turkish is a nice additive. I wish there were more Latakia blends like this, middle of the road, in a nice way. I preferred it to squadron leader. I agree with reviewers, the vanilla really goes unnoticed. Great entry level English blend for aromatic or va lovers. A nice early morning English blend. I've found its great for blending, adding a little spice to OTC blends without altering their intended flavors.

Northern Pipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Northern Pipes (22)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This was one of my first ventures into an english blend as I'm fairly new to pipes and am still in my aromatic honeymoon phase. I thought that having a mild vanilla flavouring may prove a nice transition, but I didn't get any hint of vanilla at all. I am not a fan right now, but It didn't offend me. I used to hate mushrooms as a kid but now I love them, you never know what the future holds with this tobacco for me. I plan on going back to this occasionally for more input. As far as a smoker of a few years and in the early stages of trying more savoury tobaccos, this tasted like ground wood chips to me. Other than that it lit well, it's smoked cool, had to pace myself a little more to avoid tongue bite.

?pe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
?pe (41)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

"Perfection" or hubris? "Perfection" probably has more marketing appeal than "meh".

Given that I can't detect any vanilla, I'd describe it as like smoking Squadron Leader when you've a head cold.

The verdict of this smoker : 's okay I suppose, but I'd rather have some squadron leader.

I hoped for more and got much less. Perfection arrives way too moist and the cut is very rough requiring (for me) a lot of rubbing out. The flavor is bland and the vanilla....no vanilla to be found. It really needs some vanilla because as an English blend, it lacks badly. When I want and English with some Vanilla, 4 Noggin's "Britts Balkan" is the go to blend for me.

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)
Mild to Medium Medium Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I decided to buy this tobacco, as my curiosity was aroused by the description of an English Mixture that contains a light vanilla scent. This aroma is not very detectable, except, maybe, from the first 2-3 puffs, while showing good faith and being totally convinced that YES, it does contain vanilla. The tobacco is very, but very, moist.

It is exhausting to dry it out, to fill the bowl, to light it up and try to keep it burning.

Ouf, I'm tired. I said I wanted to smoke, not take a stress and patience test. In the end, an uninteresting mixture by Samuel Gawith.

The only interesting thing for me in this tobacco was to find out the breed of the dog on the label.

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (120)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Once you let this tobacco dry out, the "vanilla" flavor is gone......Forever.

The first few bowls I smoked was a nice, flavorful English mixture with a hint of sweetness. The addition of Turkish to this blend left a sweet, minty flavor on the palate, long after the bowl cooled down.

But after drying out, you are left with a regular SG English blend. But hey, that's not so bad!

rattdogg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rattdogg (33)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Strong

It is my belief that the large dog depicted on the label is responsible for the contents of the tin.

Rodricus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rodricus (22)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

Tried several Samuel Gawith blends and this is the one that works for me. A proper english blend that can be smoked any time of the day, and all day long if I get lucky.

Tried the small tin as well as the carboard package and they both seem the same to me. The "vainilla hint", as many have pointed might as well be a typo: this does not smells or taste like vainilla. Still, I have to admit that there is something that do give this blend a nice round finish.

derlict311 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
derlict311 (65)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Perfected blended, perfectly balanced and has highest of quality of Turkish orientals and their gentle spice. More mild than Squadron Leader and probably best in the morning with coffee. I like everything about this tobacco.

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (130)

A very nice blend from Samuel Gawith. Everything in this blend seems to come together nicely. It comes a little bit moist in the tin. But once it has been opened for a couple days seems to dry out somewhat. I can't really taste the vanilla, but what there is of it makes a nice addition to the smoke. This does seem to burn down nicely to a fine ash at the bottom of the bowl. It also produces a nice amount of smoke. I would recommend this when it is available, which seems to be an issue with Gawith blends of late.

manytrees Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
manytrees (16)

This is appropriately named, I keep plenty held back at all times.. A great and pleasant smoke.

Monopod Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Monopod (23)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I made a mistake with this one, since I intended not to smoke latakia out of free choice, for a while at least. Perhaps that made me more objective ? I think that it's a good man that can carry a tobacco experience accurately over the years.I smoked quite a lot of Balkan Sobranie years ago, and the other in the khaki tin that I can't remember the name of. My good friend smoked pounds of both during our time together (RIP)

Well, I'm sorry Tony but I tried to like it with your passion, but if this one is close to the recipe for BS I don't like it. For latakia lovers though this must be one of the best available.

Fellow traveler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fellow traveler (64)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

Perfection is mild, the operative word in the description is "steamed". So do not expect a strength or taste powerhouse. If you have gone a few days without a smoke this may be a nice treat.

If you smoke everyday, you will find this a bit bland and try to smoke harder to get some flavor from the thin wispy smoke, only to burn your tongue off. This puppy will nip hard with its sharp little teeth.

My tin was from 2005 on eBay. The tin aroma was hard to find to say the least. The tin had kept its seal.

The latakia is very slight, the vanilla is faint ( I can get the same vanilla taste by soaking a Grabow filter in vanilla flavoring ). Although the combination of vanilla and latakia is pleasant.

This is not a blend I will buy again, and so will not recommend it.

Read SirLoirn below for more details.

ChevySpoons Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ChevySpoons (6)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Acceptable, even pleasant, but not outstanding.

The problem may be that this one hasn't yet decided what it is. Is it an English? Is it an aromatic? Hard to tell. If somebody was looking for a vanilla, I wouldn't suggest this, as I found the vanilla hard to detect. Good tobacco taste and Latakia is present, though, so if an aromatic smoker was looking to explore English tobaccos, I might suggest this as a nice introduction.

Overall, a pleasant, but somewhat puzzling, blend.

incoinnu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
incoinnu (6)

I would love to give this blend a poor review in an attempt to discourage demand so that I can have a ready supply whenever the next shipment arrives. However I love this stuff! I have smoked close to a pound and enjoy the complexity of the blend. The only serious complaint is the reliability of supply. Never let a customer try the competition! I have replaced this blend with 4noggin's Brit Balkan which is an excellent tobacco and readily available. If Rich runs out I guess that I'll be down to lawn turds...

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)

Disappointing mixture...

Despite appearing as an English mixture being completed with a vanilla topping, which triggered my interest, it turned out as being bland.

Maybe I should have let it age first?

Irish Newbie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Irish Newbie (12)
Extremely Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I am not a huge fan of heavy nicotine tobaccos so I approached this one with a measure of anticipation, hoping to find a regular all day smoke. While it is not a poor tobacco it is not for me. I am going to let the tin dry out a bit and see if the flavour improves. At times I felt like I was sucking on air, especially during the first part of the bowl. I liked how the vanilla came in and out of the smoke but there was not much else going on for me. I didn't really notice the Latakia. On the plus side it took ages to burn and was a long smoke, regrettably it was a long boring smoke.

pipesomkinsquirrel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipesomkinsquirrel (16)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I was pretty excited to try this mixture after reading the tin description. I was even willing to look passed the fact that it stated it had vanilla in the mix. In my opinion true English mixtures do not include casings.

I popped the tin, and found the aroma to be, eh, flat. Not a whole lot going on there. I could not detect the vanilla which was not a terrible thing.

The moisture content was very good, and the consistency was perfect. Too bad the "perfection" stopped there.

I loaded this up in a small Peterson billiard, and got to puffing.

The first thing I thought of while drawing on the pipe was where is the tobacco? I did not detect any vanilla, nor did I detect anything that resembled an English style tobacco either. This was simply bland. I got a hint of Latakia in the aroma, but I really wish that would have come across in a little bit more of a full flavour. I understand this tobacco has been marketed as a light English, but this was like the ultra light of pipe smoke.

I can say that it burned evenly, though a little quickly. No strange goo left in my pipe, but I was most disheartened by the lack of complexity in this blend.

Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe is advertised to be a light English, but it is extremely complex while not overloading the taste buds.

I might recommend this to someone who is a casual smoker of aromatics, and might wish for a change of pace. If you are a dedicated hardcore English tobacco smoker, I would say you will be disappointed by this.

francescopaone Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
francescopaone (2)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

At the first puff of this blend, i felt the necessity to review it.

It's a blend for English Mixtures lovers and not only. What can I say? A perfect EM taste (with a lovely latakia) and a perfectly balanced touch of vanilla. PERFECTION, that's the right word to describe this blend....

Billy777 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Billy777 (14)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

My first impression on opening the tin was that it smelled like a cross between burnt rubber and burnt manure.

So it was a surprise when I smoked it. The Virginia and Latakia are nicely balanced and give a slightly salty taste. What I really liked was that it was slow burning and kept getting better as I smoked it down to the bottom of the bowl.

risle-lariviere Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
risle-lariviere (33)
Mild Mild Medium Tolerable

It's quite a funny blend because sometimes it smokes just ok and sometimes bad enough not to smoke it again. But there is another issue with this one , i don't quite understand it .It's sure not a complex blend but a UFO blend type.The kind you don't know what to say or think of it while smoking.

2 stars just because it sometimes smoke ok.

Susanna Hoffs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Susanna Hoffs (74)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

How ironic that there is a faithful looking retriever on the front of the tin.....

The only thing that's missing, is the accompanying freshly laid 'lawn turd' situated right behind mans best friend in said picture.....Because that's what this bland flavourless dross smoked like.

Weak, tasteless, smokeless, indulgent rubbish. The worst SG I have sampled to date. The only reason it gets a star, is because I like dogs.

If you want a decent medium English, try Old Dublin, not this kackarakkahoohaar!

There are NO traces of the suggested VANILLA in this blend whatsoever either..

Perfection this aint...

Sinister Topiary Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sinister Topiary (74)

Could I have found my default blend with this one?

I shared the opinion of others here -- a latakia blend topped with vanilla? But the vanilla is a mere whisper deftly applied that wonderfully suits the soft latakia. And the absence of oriental is noticeable, but not necessarily a bad thing since it's nicely balanced without it.

I'm reminded of other quality english crossovers like Frog Morton on the Town. Indeed if I were to characterize its flavor I would say... imagine if Samuel Gawith made Captain Black White -- top quality leaf, no hint of chemicals, greatly toning down the twinkie-marshmallow-vanilla topping with a deft hand until it's a mere suggestion -- then crossed it with a bit of Commonwealth, and you get Perfection.

So why not four stars? Because this is a fine table wine to be drunk with pleasurable ease, not some exceptional vintage to be savored. Perfection is not exceptional, nor necessarily a masterpiece. (Can a table wine be exceptional? No, but it can be terrific!) What Perfection is is an extremely enjoyable, simple, quality smoke that has enough going on to keep it interesting.

I enjoy Perfection very much. This might just become my go-to default blend when I want a wonderfully satisfying smoke that I don't need to savor as I would my other favorites.

Highly recommended for those wanting to move from aros to english, as well as to those who simply want an easy quality english smoke.

Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

Ok, I was sceptical about this one. A vanilla flavoring on a Latakia blend?

Actually, it is very very subtle: only barely perceivable in the tin aroma, and even less during the smoke.

It's not a bad tobacco, provided that you let it dry quite a bit (like many other SG offerings). It tastes natural, it has a nice medium body and taste, and it smokes very well. It reminds me of Squadron Leader, but perhaps less dominated by the orientals.

It isn't a tobacco that one can rave about: nothing particularly striking, but it's a fine all-day smoke. Tasty without being too heavy, with a nice balance of nutty, spicy and sweet. Ok, maybe if I actually smoked this all day long I would quickly grow bored with it.

Not necessarily a blend I will stash in my cellar, but I'll gladly buy a tin of it once in a while.

nikko Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nikko (5)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This stuff is just awesome,I love the smell out of the tin. A bit moist, better when dried out a little. Not sure if I taste or smell vanilla, there is something sweet about it though. About half bowl it gets even better dont know how to explain this as I am new to the review club. I ordered a lb of this,I hope it is as good as the tin. This is my fav, I have smoked several english blends,965,Balken seiseni,squadren leader,Three oaks syrian,EMP, all great tobaccs. This one is the best to me so far, probably just personal preferance.

DEN-C1956 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DEN-C1956 (25)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

i have just smoked a few bowls of this wonderful blend,as has already been said by 'briarpatch' not as strong as 'squadron leader'but a very nice blend,this tobacco is quite course cut but packs well in the bowl,and im getting quite a liking to samuel gawith pipe tobaccos.if you want a nice easy going tobacco this is a very good one to try.upon opening the tin theres an aroma like 'SL'..but just a little less hitting,wonderful stuff...i like it a lot.

newmission Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
newmission (14)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

Being a fan of early English blends this brought back some old memories of the bulk blends that used to be sold at Humidore One Panasch in Southfield, Michigan. (just outside Detroit). It was a great shop filled with tins and bulk, pipes galore and the largest walk in humidore that I have ever seen. The English blend is very mild and not overpowering while the vanilla top just sweeten's a bit. There was a shop in Royal Oak called 3 Ravens that had a house blend called English Breakfast Tea. SG Perfection brings back memories of that blend. Stout, but sweet, like a good cup of black Tea with just the right amount of sugar to take the edge off. I am convinced that SG has a good thing going here. Wont smoke it everyday, but it will be in my rotation and I am sure that I will always have a tin hiding somewhere around the house. PEACE

manytrees Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
manytrees (16)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I just never thought about trying this blend due to the hugh variance in revieews. BIG MISTAKE. The gentleman that had SG create this blend has a very similar "palate" to mine I guess. I find the name of "perfection" PERFECT.

I cannot believe just how wonderful the taste and burning quality of this fine blend. My initial order was for one 50g tin. I'm going for more right away and I will be less likely to let others steer me away. One thing is clear the pallets of humans are as different as personality. You just got to try one when the inspiration hits.

=

oldsouth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldsouth (9)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

This was a very flavorful and sweet blend. It got sweeter and richer midway in the bowl. If you like English blends this could be your morning tobacco. I'll put it in my rotation.

kg0mz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kg0mz (54)

Broken flake. Really? I dug around in the tin a little, and I didn't find any broken flake. I was looking forward to a broken flake SG tobacco. I much prefer a flake (or plug) to ribbon. I may not know how to smoke ribbon tobacco. I almost always regret messing around with ribbon.

Anyway, I liked this even though I was convinced I would not like it, determined not to like it. Same with Grousemoor, I hated liking it, too. Two SG tobaccos I have not liked liking. I have tins of Squadron Leader I dread opening. And, I can name a few GL Pease tobaccos that are members of this set.

Not to be beating a deceased horse here, but I firmly believe that ribbon leads to hot spots in the pipe and tongue bite. Why mess with it when you can enjoy a cool, slow burning flake, plug or twist?

5/15/09 UPDATE: Anacol! In a larger bowl (24 mm) the burning characteristics are entirely different, very much improved. I am beginning to appreciate just how much the pipe can influence the tobacco. This stuff is divine in a big, old, heavy, bent billiard I picked up on eBay (a Ben Wade repaired and reconditioned by Tim West). This pipe combusts this ribbon better than any other pipe I own. Wow.

Peter Zorg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peter Zorg (34)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

I was disappointed because the Latakia and Turkish are really mild. I mean this stuff might be good for beginners who would like to have a mild hint at what Latakia and Turkish are. There is also this little weird feeling on the tongue I have with the Squadron Leader as well. As the tobacco is mild, you might be tempted to smoke it too quickly, and then, instead of feeling a tongue bite you feel some kind of anaesthesia. UPDATE: One more tobacco that benefit from being smoked a few days after opening the tin. The tobacco is of course still mild but the weird anaesthesia feeling is over. It is very tasty and pleasant, I will grant 3 stars finally.

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (155)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

As somebody said Perfection is the gentle face of Latakia ! A very ?politically correct? medium English mixture, smooth and soft, w/ a very light vanilla topping which I can detect only in the tin aroma.

It smokes always cool, flavourful and dry, with just a hint of ?aromatic? which I just like very much.

Regarding the components, useless to say they are of the very first quality.

Would I be able to stick to a medium EM as an all-day smoke, Perfection has all the numbers to be that one.

Again, the high price still affects from receiving my four stars.

WillardFan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillardFan (68)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Being a big fan of S.G. Tobaccos, I have to say that I'm a bit disappointed with this one. Everything about this blend is subliminal. You think you might be getting ready for some kind of flavor burst, only to have it disappear as quickly as it started. It took some effort to keep this stuff lit as well. Very moist just out of the tin, might want to let it sit out a bit before putting a match to it. Nothing really stands out with this blend, IMHO it's just too bland for my palette. I don't think I'll be wanting anymore of this in the future...

Pseudo Nim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pseudo Nim (96)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

ORIGINAL August 3rd 2008

I wasn't going to bother reviewing this one as I have only gone through one tin in fact, I still haven't quite finished it, but having just read Tantric's review, I must fully agree, "Too much contradiction in flavours" although on ocassion, I have felt a need for "something-I-know-not-what" and perfection has helped if not cured.

May I just take a moment also to thank Tantric (and of course many others, far too many to name) for some sterling reviews, Ive read a goodly number of yours and you have pointed me in the direction of Old Gowrie and Marlin Flake for which you have my sincere gratitude, all of you.

UPDATE December 8th 2008

Now that the colder weather is here I've found that something a little tastier is required and although the likes of Golden Glow and Marlin flake, along with numerous others, will still be kept in rotation, I find myself starting the day with Skiff followed by Squadron Leader and now in the evenings, finishing of with a pipe or two of Perfection.

After so much Latakia, even I would have expected my palate to revert toward something a little less dramatic and perhaps mundane or "monochromatic" as some have refered to. On the contrary, I find this an excellent tobacco for the colder weather, which will give me a chance to age some of the virginia's I've been collecting over the summer months.

I can only assume my taste has changed, for where I once found contradiction, I now find harmony, and living on the coast, excellent "cold weather gear".

loosewatches Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
loosewatches (108)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I would love to tell you all that this Perfection is, in fact, some lovely kraut, but beat me senseless, I can't do it. Both Gawith brands are favorites of mine and I have a hard time knocking the smokes they make. Most of the time I don't have to because they both make some spectacular flakes, mixes and twists. Most of the time, also, these smokes take off in (sometimes wild) directions that no other blender seems to have thought of. That, my friends is general perfection. (Though divided between two particular, peculiar companies.)

This specific Perfection mix misses it for me because it never got up and went where it was meant to be. I think it is sort of Frog Morton over the Vanilla Bean. The vanilla is there with VA and Latakia in a pleasant enough, easy packing mix, but after the first third, well, the game was called onacounta rain.

Not a bad blend by any means but my own, this is definitely in the "try them, try them and you may, Try it and you may, I say" category.

One note though........I think that Squadron Leader mixed with Cob plug (1792) at about 5:1 is a Great Smoke along the same line of thought.

Spike Malice Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Spike Malice (4)
Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I have only been smoking a pipe now for about 4 months. I have tried several drug-store varieties, Captain Black, Half & Half, Borkum Riff, Iwan Ries 3 Star, etc. I finally decided that I am now a pipe smoker, and must delve a bit deeper into it. I ordered the Stand By Me sampler, which had as one of the five offerings, Perfection. I found it to be just as advertised.

It is, so far, my favorite smoke, followed by Optimum. Very pleasant room note, exceptionally smooth, and just sweet enough for a novice, like myself. It burns nicely, without any tongue bite. This is an area where I have been experienceing issues, as I have given up cigarettes completely, adn tend to smoke too greedily. I have just ordered a few tins, and will be buying more as the budget allows.

p4p4 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
p4p4 (52)
Strong Medium Medium Pleasant

This is a difficoult to smoke blend. With charme and elegance, like every Gawiths products.

Big Jim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Jim (15)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

I really enjoy this blend. The vanilla is stronger in the beginning but not overwhelming, then moves to the background. The English components are always the primary flavor. A very mild flavored smoke with no bite. This isn?t an everyday smoke but if you?re in the mood for something sweet but don?t want to break out a full aromatic this is the perfect choice. Another advantage is that the anti smokers tend to leave you alone due to its pleasant room note.

jankoez Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jankoez (67)

It is no doubt where from this blend is coming, it is correct English mixture - somewhat in modern style because of vanilla. Since it is quite mild, it is good for beginners in pipe smoking, as well it is good for those occasions when one wants to smoke spicier tobacco and still other people are not complaining for strong room note.

BriarChef Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarChef (100)

My son, also a pipe smoker, gave me a tin of this without telling me what it was, as I'd heard of it but never tried it. I make my living with my palate and sense of smell and I did detect a very light natural vanilla aroma in the tin. Good guess.

After a bit of drying time it loads and lights nicely. The vanilla starts out a little assertively, but once things warm up, it moves to the background. At this point the Virginia and Latakia take turns on bass and tenor with the Turkish coming in with alto and even some soprano harmonies. Metaphoricaly speaking. It doesn't make any real sounds. Other than the ones in my head. If I keep my tinfoil hat on nice and snug.

Not one I smoke as a steady diet, but like to have it around.

Mild Mild Medium Tolerable

Very interesting "hybrid" blend. Light on Orientals, this is mainly a Virginia/Latakia with some vanilla-like flavoring (I taste some rum sometimes). It reminds me of PS English Oriental Supreme, although I like Perfection better due to milder flavoring, which lets you enjoy the true tobacco flavor and also bites a lot less.

Another high quality SG mixture. Not an everyday smoke, but nice for a change of pace from your regular English/Balkans.

WmZiggy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WmZiggy (66)

This is a mild or "morning" English blend. I wasn't aware of the Vanilla top dressing till I read it here, nor did I pick it out when I openned the tin. What I did notice was the nice presentation of Bright and Brown Virginia and Turkish leaf and light dose of Latakia. I was hoping that this would be a lighter Latakia blend and I wasn't disappointed.

On the charring light and first third of the smoke the Latakia dominated the taste. About mid-bowl the Latakia took a back seat and the Turkish/Virginia interplay took center stage. The smoke was mild, subtly sweet, with a nice Turkish twang with Latakia under tones from mid-bowl to finish. From mid-bowl to finish I enjoyed this tobacco best.

If you buy this blend as a Vanilla aromatic you will be disappointed. If, on the other hand, you are looking for a toned down English, you might enjoy it. I like blends that use Latakia sparingly, such as IRC's Dr. Bradly. I would characterize this as a step up in Latakia from that blend.

constantsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
constantsmoker (61)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I like to characterize this blend as a milder version of Gawith's other fine blend, Commonwealth. The additon of Turkish/Orientals and a decrease in Latakia yield a pleasant, flavorful smoking experience. The "hint of Vanilla" is but dimly perceptible upon opening the tin, which I found gratifying, for I feared a heavy-handed aromatic couched as a Balkan blend.

The tobacco fires up nicely, and the balance of sweet Virginias, slightly fragrant and spicey Turkish, and smokey Latakia is...well, Perfection (almost). I find it a great all-day or every day smoke. Not only is this a nicely balanced tobacco blend, and a perfect introduction to Balkan blends; it is part of a great Gawith 'family' of Commonwealth, Squadron Leader, Balkan Flake and Navy Flake.

Nick O'Teen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nick O'Teen (90)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

Tastes to me like a slightly sweeter version of Squadron Leader, which is not a bad thing. Another solid smoke from Sam Gawith.

bigbowls Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bigbowls (12)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I opened up the tin and said to myself "oh no, not another Latakia blend." I was really hoping for a tasty vanilla taste sensation.

Well, once I lit the bowl, I was not at all disappointed. The initial burst of flavor was indeed a smooth Latakia. But, it was quickly followed up with just a hint of vanilla...a very tasty vanilla.

Easy to keep lit and very tasty, I will be adding this to my regular rotation.

Ben Rich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ben Rich (34)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

This is a very well-behaved tobacco and one I enjoy very much as a morning smoke. It packs well, lights well, and stays lit; while its flavor is non-exceptional it is still exceptionally satisfying. It is the tobacco that I take if I must travel for a few days because I know it will behave itself - it will satisfy my nicotine requirements without overdoing it and, while its flavor is not as emphatic as, say, GLP's Odyssey, or as monochromatic as Samuel Gawith's Best Brown Flake, it delivers just enough flavor and resonances to make it worth toting along. It is the sort of tobacco, which, if I did not enjoy some variety in my life, would probably become my staple all-day, every-day smoke. Highly recommended. Eventually I hope to buy it in bulk and put away about a pound or more to age.

Relapse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Relapse (14)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Other than the bad joke square tins of all SG tobaccos, this one is a must. If you like -as I emphatically do- English or "Balkan" style blends, you will find this rather unique blend a tasteful variant. The advertised vanilla topping is virtually non-existant and it serves only to make its room note a pleasant one that wont make your non-smoker companions flee for the door.

The taste is full, although with an almost dessert-like quality. The VA's are sweet and round, the orientals deliciously mild and the latakia prominent but not overpowering. The latter provides also a cedar timberland aroma that tops the blend very well.

I cannot understand how some folks find this mixture boring. To me its certainly straightforward, lacking some of the complexity that many English style blends display, not always to their best advantage. Perfection on the other hand is like a fine steak grilled to perfection in comparison to a sauced tournedo that depends on the recipe to hide its shortcomings. It's a superbly simple apple pie vs. a complex chocolate and truffle cake... You know what I mean.

As of today, I've gone through some 600g (12 tins) of Perfection and it has all but replaced Squadron Leader as my morning smoke. Of course, I reach for heavier mixtures at special times but I might smoke this one exclusively and not miss the variety much.

BTW, it ages fast. Some tins, purchased six months ago are displaying a much nicer character than the new tins. I plan to get some twenty tins, wrap them in several layers of Saran Wrap to avoid vacuum leaks and set them aside to age a few years. If I live to smoke them I bet they will be a treat.

- - - - Added August 22, 2006 - - - - -

In addition, this must be one of the noblest blends around. It behaves extremely well in most types of bowls, tall and narrow or squat and wide. It packs easily, resisting overpacking. Keeps lit unless you purposefully let it go out, smokes cool even to the point when you cannot hold the bowl because of its temperature; even then, it fails to scorch your tongue no matter how fast you puff. The sweet dessert-like taste is there from the first puff down to the dottle, which, BTW, is almost nonexistant except in pipes with a deep heel below the airhole. A blend to enjoy wholly.

peakbagger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
peakbagger (41)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I didn't know what to expect with the addition of vanilla to a Latakia blend but I was pleasantly surprised; this is a fine tobacco. The blend looks very similar to Squadron Leader (in the tin) but has a darker, more pungent flavor. The aroma of vanilla is only slightly sensed and it is hardly tasted but does seem to add some smoothness to the blend. This isn't an everyday smoke for me but when in the mood for it I find it delightful. 7 out of 10 stars

This truly is the most complex and interesting "Boring Tobacco" on the market. I say that with great respect to this mixture. Always cool, flavorful, and dry. It has a wonderfully deep flavor that pretty much remains the same from 1st light to dottle. It seems only to get more mellow and sweeter in a Latakia sort of way as you go down the bowl. Truly a British Tobacco. I love it and recommend it to anyone who simply appreciates a good English Mixture.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (140)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Deceptive, I was expecting a strong english with some vanilla on top. But this is about as easy to smoke as it could be. No aromatic burn or loss of flavor. This blend is smooth and tasty. This is my first S. Gawith blend and it will certainly not be my last. The flavor is not an obvious vanilla as you would expect but instead more thick and creamy, lucious like a chardonnay barrelled in oak.

Lancelot Gobbo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lancelot Gobbo (23)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Perfection seems to me to be on the border between an English blend and a Balkan. The orientals and latakia are much more forward than in a standard english tobacco. It resembles Nightcap in many ways apart from the extra smokiness of the latakia, which is much more easily noticed here, even though it may not be in the same percentage. It's a bit like I imagine mixing one third Balkan Sobranie with two thirds Nightcap. A balkanized Nightcap, or perhaps a Squadron Leader posted to duty in Serbia! A gentle introduction to the balkan style, it light easily, stays lit, and smokes to a powdery ash. Don't puff fast or it will nip your tongue, but this is easily managed. Plenty of nicotine in there too.

Strong Very Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

Perfection by Sam Gawith may be just that. This tobacco is a mostly dark mixture with some yellow or gold ribbons thrown in. There are also some small ribbons of brownish tobacco. This tobacco is interesting in smell. First, you catch the smell of a latakia, followed by a beautiful Virginia-type tobacco. Last but not least is a hint of vanilla - just enough to make one unsure of what awaits. Perfection packs al ittle springy, but after an initial light and tamp, burns easily. The match unleashes a taste treat - a very nice English style tobacco with a slight aromatic on top. Just enough vanilla to make the room smell pleasant, and provide a twist for the smoker. This burns to a clean ash and gets better in a pipe dedicated to it.

monkeybong Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
monkeybong (7)

Trying this blend for the first time today. I wish I had found it earlier; this is the way tobacco is supposed to be. I did expect this to be a fuller blend from the aroma coming from the bag, and I am slightly disappointed, which is why I give it three stars instead of four. Like one of the earlier reviews stated, I don't notice any vanilla at all, which is fine with me. Give it a try.

Dizzy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dizzy (13)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

The cut of this tobacco is strange. While described as a broken flake, what you mostly have is ribbon with a few chunks of broken flake. I think this is due to the flake being nearly fully rubbed out. Just don't expect a broken flake a la McClelland. The mixture is a nice mottled variation of browns that packs well and is stored at a good humidity for aging and immediate smoking. An easy pack after the ribbons are fluffed a bit.

It lights well and burns evenly. The vanilla is far from cloying, just a quiet note behind a Turkish-VA melody. The latakia is negligible. Not complex, it is a pleasantly sour, medium-bodied, and consistent smoke from start to finish. The way the vanilla is used is different from anything else I've smoked--instead of a sweetness bringing the vanilla to the fore, it folds into a delicate sourness.

Blackie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blackie (16)
Strong Very Mild Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

After bashing G&H's Rum Flake, this tobacco (from the "other half" of the Gawith family) is a real smasher. I love this stuff. It is the one English tobacco with a topping that is not only tasty, but takes the mixture to a higher level of complexity because of the dressing, not in spite of it.

Topping English is always a dicey endeavor. Most, IMO, tend to do so in an unrestrained manner. Adding syrupy casings to Latakia and Orientals is usually about as successful as pouring chocolate sauce on a porterhouse steak to improve the flavor. This is different, however. The honest vanilla/tonquin flavor is subdued and helps the Virginia sing despite the hard core peppery spice of the Turkish as the bowl burns down.

The entire package is, however, heavy. This is not an all day blend, or something to smoke with a can of 7-Up at the beach. This is after dinner; Glass of Scotch; Build a fire; Put the Wagner CD on the stereo stuff. From the company that brings you rope tobacco with deep, nicotine-heavy, head spinning power, would you expect anything less from their idea of "Perfection"?

If you want to try a topped English, and you are ready for a powerful blend this is worth exploring. To borrow the description of the renown Bordeaux, Chateau Petrus: This is a Velvet Hammer. It is absolutely at the top of my list.

This looks and smells just like "Squadron Leader" but has the slightest hint of vanilla added to it. It has the same short broad ribbons in the same brown to dark brown leaf color.It is a little moist upon opening the tin but that did not seem to affect the burn in the pipe. Packing is easy with a lighter touch seeming to work best. Initial flavor is like "Squadron Leader" but the vanilla casing comes in nicely after the second light. The balance between the leaf and the casing is perfect IMO, with nice interplay all the way to the bottom of the bowl which is suprisingly dry. From time to time I got a whiff of a floral note similar to "Bob's Chocolate Flake" which makes me wonder if this casing is also present in that blend. All in all I found this blend to be an excellent cross-over blend. I go through aromatic phases from time to time and when in that mood, this is one I will definitely smoke. Rating 4 out of 5 points. Amereaux probably would smoke this. Enjoy....

Minz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Minz (10)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

I've been a fan of SG for a bit now, though I hadn't tried this blend. So when I saw it at JR (we were driving through North Carolina, and I made the family stop) I couldn't help myself.

When I opened this tin, I didn't even realize the tobacco was cased. To my untrained nose, it smelled like a sweet English blend. The appearance has been sufficiently described above, so I won't belabor the point.

It packed easily in my GBD virgin. The first match brought out a sweet puff of smoke. Virginias and the mild casing here were very evident, with the latakia chiming in here near the end of the chorus.

The first third of the bowl was smooth and sweet. The Virgina sounded sweetly throughout with the hints of vanilla and latakia humming softly in the background.

As I reached the second third of the bowl, the smoke became a bit more complex. The latakia and perhaps some orientals chiming in. Not drowning out the sweetness, but certainly taking centerstage.

As the bowl gets near the its end, the blend really gets rolling. The english components really shining, leaving the vinalla completly by the wayside. Hints of nuttiness and leather coming through now. Its also gotten a bit stronger. Finishing with a nice powdery white ash.

The blend produced a good amout of thick smoke, and though my sniffer is blinded by alergies, my better half didn't seem to mind this.

All in all a good smoke. I'm going to have to get a few more tins to set back and age.

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

So the heat index is > 105F again and my quest for a cooler, summer smoke continues. This one caught my interest due to the hint of vanilla claimed in the PR. I didn't really sense it much in the aroma or the taste, but no harm done. I'm not sure that this is 'perfection' but it's a good smoke. I would guess that a Company established in 1792 must be doing something right. An interesting mix of wide ribbons of VAs from yellow thru red to black with some Turkish for good measure. These are high quality tobaccos. The Latakia is also there but not overpowering in any respect. Overall, this English taste is enjoyable. After the initial light which is slightly difficult, this blend burns evenly and coolly without the need for multiple relights that I sometimes encounter with ribbon cuts. Even if mistreated, I experienced no bite. Although this one will not be an all day smoke, it is a nice change from my normal VA flakes in the hot weather.

RobAtHome Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RobAtHome (25)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

Gawith Perfection is a decent, middle-of-the-road English blend. There's nothing offensive about it, but it's not remarkable in any serious way, either. There's Latakia, a bit of Oriental, and a touch of VA sweetness. The very light vanilla topping doesn't come through in the flavor or even in the room aroma. I guess one could say that it merely tempers the Latakia without ever coming to the fore.

The cut is a long ribbon, packed densely into the tin. The tin aroma is typically English. The tobacco, because of its long cut, can be fussy about being loaded into a narrow bowl. It packs slightly springy, but generally burns cool and dry to a fine ash.

As aromatically-enhanced English blends go, it's OK and I smoke it from time to time in my rotation. However, I find myself reaching for Frog Morton On the Town and GL Pease's Mephisto more often.

Update: Found a pipe that this smokes remarkably well in. It's a big-bowled Mastro de Paja and the large tobacco chamber really seems to let the flavors open up in this blend. If you've tried this in a smaller or narrower bowl and didn't care for it - try it again in a larger one.

BostonPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BostonPipe (83)

Overall I found his blend to be a smooth, nice change of pace from my oriental and english blends. The flavoring was subtle, with what I experienced to be a slight creamy overture to it. As another reviewer has stated, it packed a little springy. However, after the false-light it settled right down with the re-light. It burned to a fine ash without a wet-heel at the end, unlike most of the "danish-flavored" blends that I have tried in the past. For the "Medussa" rating, my wife stated that this was more tolerable than my "usual" blends.