A variety of Brown & Bright Virginias with a touch of latakia & fine Turkish, steamed then a hint of vanilla has been added.

Notes: Named after a local pipe-smoker, who couldn't find his regular tobacco, asked Samuel Gawith to make up a blend - his reaction to the new mixture- PERFECTION!! A combination of Virginias, latakias, and Turkish have been touched by the subtle flavor of vanilla.

BrandSamuel Gawith
Taste

2.7
marosi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
marosi (67)

This is very nice mild english blend. The predominant characteristics are the VA's and turkish. The vanilla casing is very much in the background, and does not really move this blend out of the firmly "english" realm. This is typical of a host of english blends, especially from Gawith, where various flavorings and casings are used along with tobacco components that are classically english.

The tobacco itself is a nice mixture of ribbon cut virginias and latakia with turkish leaf. The turkish to my palate is the predominant taste component followed by the latakia, and the VA's provide a very nice base and offer a little nip on the tongue. Overall this lights readily and burns easily with few relights, and will not get hot unless you puff too quickly.

This is not a flavor bomb of any sort, and is a fine mild english. It offers a little more sweetness than some similar blends, but is not a "sweet" blend by any stretch. This is a nice mild smoke with a mild to medium nicotine content, making it a fine choice for when you do not want to be too challenged by any particular flavor profile or nicotine strength. With that said, these same mild characteristics mean that it is probably not going to make it onto anyone's list of "must have" blends, except to fill a void between other more distinct offerings.

Since we are now able to reference the pipe used for the review, and pipes can make a huge difference in how a blend performs and tastes, I thought that I would include a note on my pipe of choice here. I used a vintage GBD virgin billiard which would be considered small by todays standards, but still offers plenty of capacity for a 30 minute to one hour smoke. This pipe is at least 40-50 years old, is light as air, and smokes wonderfully with cool english blends. For those interested it is shape 124, which is identified by GBD as a medium size billiard. This fact shows you how things have changed over the years, as pipes have gotten, on average, larger and larger. If you look for an estate GBD be careful as many have been reamed beyond a usable state. In this case the pipe and blend were literally made for one another and produce a very enjoyable experience.

Pipe Used: GBD Virgin Billiard

Age When Smoked: 4 yrs

I also found the blend to be pleasant and unique like most of the reviewers, I smoke this one semi-regularly and it is always cool and mellow. And I also found the blend to lack differing layers of flavor.

I know the description of the blend says its topped with a bit of vanilla. But frankly, I never tasted it. I tasted more of an almond extract sort of flavor which, mingled with the leaf, performed like a champ!

The smoky, woody sweet Cyprian latakia is basically as obvious as the grassy, mildly citrusy Virginias. The woody, dry, lightly buttery Turkish is a minor player, and not always very noticeable. The vanilla is very lightly added and at times, nearly undetectable. The nic-hit is slightly more than mild. Won't bite or get harsh. may need a little dry time. Burns a little slow, cool and clean with some inconsistently in the overall flavor. Leaves a little moisture in the bowl, and requires a few relights. Has a decent after taste. It's not a very aptly named product. Really deserves two and a half stars.

Backwoods Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Backwoods Piper (70)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant

I must admit this smoke let me down. Any tin that depicts a hunting dog should contain an exceptional tobacco right? Guess I can't use that as a gauge for a good tobacco any more.

All kidding aside I thought this tobacco would have a little more fanfare associated with a name like Perfection. Upon opening the tin you will find a predominantly ribbon cut tobacco with some broken flake mixed in. The VA's dominate this blend with a hint of Latikia and Turkish chiming in. All at once a fade to Vanilla I guess I just can't adjust to this kind of a pairing. Kind of like I don't find ketchup an appealing compliment to french toast.

This isn't an awful tobacco in fact it smokes cool and clean. This tobacco just misses the boat on your hybrid english aromatic blends. I will finish this tin but I doubt I will purchase this one again. Sorry Sam.............hey is it too late to trade this tin for a tin of Best Brown?

Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I picked up a tin of this to try. I like Gawith in general, and the name sounded promising. This is not what I would call "perfection." It is a mild crossover that is not too heavy on the vanilla. The cut is a medium ribbon with some chopped bits. Pouch note is a slightly sweet latakia. It came just a little on the moist end of the good range for smoking, and I did not dry it. As long as the tin has taken me to smoke, it has dried a little in the tin.

Smoked I get a pleasant woody latakia, a little hay from the Virginias and some vanilla every now and then. The Turkish is a pretty light touch, and I am not sure there is much of it in the blend. I will claim it is there in condimental mode.

Perfection is good but not especially compelling. It was an easy smoke. It packed and stayed lit without incident. It smoked clean without goop.

This is a 2.5 star blend. I am unlikely to ever buy it again. If it were all I had, I would smoke a lot of it.

Gordon Tavistock Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gordon Tavistock (12)
Very Mild Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

Judging from the reviews here, this is hardly a blend that lives up to its name. And the blend itself doesn't. But so what? Tobacco perfection for me is not only about how the blend is composed, but about the whole setting of a particular smoking experience. And I just spent the most perfect hour of the morning in total bliss over a huge coffee with lots of milk, paired with SG Perfection.

The VAs come with a hint of citrus, but also a satisfying sweetness. The Orientals and the Latakia are nicely balanced, so that it's difficult (to me anyway) to tell the different layers of the taste from another. The vanilla topping is definitely present, but I wouldn't say it was vanilla unless I had read that already. All the casing does, is to add a lovely creamy sweetness to the blend, that goes well with the woodsy cream of the Orientals/Latakia.

Is it a perfect masterpiece of a blend? No. Is it complex and interesting? No. I but once in a while, when I just want something almost childishly simple and comforting, this is one of the blends I could pick up. On those occasions, it does the same for as a café latte made whit whole milk. Sweet and mellow, but not too sweet in any way. I advise you to pair SG Perfection with said beverage.

I found that the casing gets more prominent (and I think that is a good thing for this blend) when I smoke it in a larger bowl. That also makes the Orientals/Latakia shine a bit more, in my experience. To me, Perfection does the job I want an aromatic blend to do (but that comes from the mouth of someone who would have chosen GLP Odyssey as the only tobacco to bring to a remote island, so if you smoke predominantly aros, you'll probably strongly disagree with me).

The casing fades and the Orientals get sour towards the end, and that is one of the reasons why 'perfection' is the wrong name for this blend. It also gets a bit more fussy to keep lit. But honestly, it's worth your money – at least for a try – if you're into Latakia and aromatic combinations.

Low on nic (I am a nic lightweight and I smoked this on an nearly empty stomach early in the morning without feeling anything that couldn't also be ascribed to the caffeine in my coffee). No bite what so ever. Leaves only a little moisture in the bowl.

Pipe Used: Straight and bent billiards

Age When Smoked: Fresh to five months

Purchased From: CGars.co.uk

Sam Gawith - Perfection.

Will it live up to its name?

Upon opening I can quickly ascertain that it has the 'usual suspect' quality with Sam G' tobaccos, too moist! That said, it is not saturated so it only requires a very short quantity of time to let it air. The dissemination of the tobaccos seems to be very fair, an even quantity of each type. Once I have let mine rest until the right moistness is achieved it's time to get the bowl started, 'the proof of the pudding is in the eating'!

Mine takes to lighting superbly, once it is lit the burn is even and it only desists in the burn if it is left to sit untouched for some time. I know it contains vanilla but that said I struggle to detect it, don't take that too negatively as the taste I get agrees with me. It is by no means a lat-bomb, it is actually (like the appearance) a fair selection of the different tobacco flavours. I would say it's perfection but that would be too cheesy! Tongue bite? Not at all throughout the whole bowl. The room note is excellent, it is quite a light one with both aroma and thickness in the air.

To be fair, it has been accomplished very well but it lacks 'the X-factor' for me, becoming a little laborious after a while. For this subjective reason it scores 3 stars not 4 stars. I feel 'Perfection' is too much of a prodigious name for any tobacco to be called, Sam Gawith 'Really Good' would be more apt !

Recommended.

Pipe Used: Peterson Sandblast Sherlock Homes Baskerville

Purchased From: Smoke King

Pseudo Nim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pseudo Nim (110)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

ORIGINAL August 3rd 2008

I wasn't going to bother reviewing this one as I have only gone through one tin in fact, I still haven't quite finished it, but having just read Tantric's review, I must fully agree, "Too much contradiction in flavours" although on ocassion, I have felt a need for "something-I-know-not-what" and perfection has helped if not cured.

May I just take a moment also to thank Tantric (and of course many others, far too many to name) for some sterling reviews, Ive read a goodly number of yours and you have pointed me in the direction of Old Gowrie and Marlin Flake for which you have my sincere gratitude, all of you.

UPDATE December 8th 2008

Now that the colder weather is here I've found that something a little tastier is required and although the likes of Golden Glow and Marlin flake, along with numerous others, will still be kept in rotation, I find myself starting the day with Skiff followed by Squadron Leader and now in the evenings, finishing of with a pipe or two of Perfection.

After so much Latakia, even I would have expected my palate to revert toward something a little less dramatic and perhaps mundane or "monochromatic" as some have refered to. On the contrary, I find this an excellent tobacco for the colder weather, which will give me a chance to age some of the virginia's I've been collecting over the summer months.

I can only assume my taste has changed, for where I once found contradiction, I now find harmony, and living on the coast, excellent "cold weather gear".

Iroquois Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Iroquois (3)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I have to give it a 2 stars, even though it would be a 2,5. On the technical side, I found this one to burn quite fast, even though it won't get super hot and won't bite your tongue even when heated; could need some relight, leaves very few moisture in the bowl, with a very fine gray ash. On the opinion side: I find quite pretentious to call a tobacco "Perfection", because we are talking about personal tastes; I would have accepted it if this were the quintessential english mixture (Squadron Leader), which it is not. The quality of the tobacco is indeed very good, in line with the SG high standard, but what this mixture lacks is the decision of its taste. For me it was very disappointing to find out that the latakia doesn't emerge as I would like when I buy an english mixture; that the orientals tend to dominate over it, combining better with the virginia than with the latakia. The declared little bit of vanilla casing is very very light, I would say undetectable. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate this tobacco. It is what it is: a very mild, all-day mixture, one you can enjoy while taking a walk in the park or in town, and in this it is perfect. But, as I said, I would invest my health (and money) in something more worth them both, something whose taste has more character and in which the latakia is not a back player.

Pipe Used: Fincato Billiard

Purchased From: Tabaccheria Sansone, Rome, Italy

Sylvian Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sylvian (28)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Tolerable to Strong

Not my idea of perfection. A decent VA/Latakia/Oriental mixture, but nothing outstanding. The vanilla flavoring seems to spoil the overall impression. One tin was enough.

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (145)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

My consumption of English tobaccos has grown so bloated that I've looked affectionately over the fence in search of something different.

I've tried Balkans, and to be fair to my own lack of sophistication, I'm not quite able to pick them apart from their English cousins in a blind test. Virginias are fine, but sauced up they can get nasty. I'm not averse to a topping if it doesn't burn the hell out of my tongue.

I thought then, maybe there is an aromatic out there that is both unique in taste and worthy in strength. I immediately ruled out 1792 and Royal Yacht. Sure, they're great, but I'll take them in small, bi-annual doses.

What I was really looking for was a strong Cavendish tobacco. Is there such a thing? What if I laced Captain Black with Perique? That would be wrong.

On one of my infrequent trips to the regional B&M, I mentioned this to the man behind the counter. He immediately offered Perfection as a capable alternative. He said it was a sweeter smoke, medium body, with a vanilla taste.

When I fired this thing up I immediately detected the Latakia. In my opinion, a blend with any Latakia will quickly make this the strongest element in the blend. It's true, Perfection has a topping, but I'll be damned if I can detect any. It's heresy perhaps to ask for a cased aromatic over a natural English mixture. Maybe I'm just not getting this pipe smoking thing.

To me, Perfection is a mild English with few discerning traits. It's decent, but there's too many decent tobaccos that fall in the same category. I'll keep looking.

ggsalas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ggsalas (2)
Very Mild None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I love this mixture. The english mixtures, in many cases are to much strengthfor mi, but this is not the case. Also I feel a good taste, seems wood and smels like grass. Totaly recommended.

Calamiti Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Calamiti (66)
Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

Pipe-smoking is not just a way to convey nicotine into the system. In case of long-established makers, pipe tobaccos, smoking-related paraphernalia and traditions are also part of culture, history and heritage. That's why I often pay attention to this aspect when reviewing pipe tobaccos.

Enough is said on this page by many reviewers on poor taste and flavour of this bland and unbalanced mixture. What caught my eye besides the mediocre qualities of the tobacco itself, was culturally insensitive marketing of this product which adds to its inferiority. Here I mean the weird personification of perfection on the tin art: a fat dog. O_O . European culture (British culture including) knows plenty of generally recognizable and long-established symbols of perfection like angels, nature landscapes, grand edifices and (first and foremost!) beautiful women. But not DOGS, never. I know no culture in the world where dogs, whether fat or slim, are considered a symbol of perfection. Fault.

I have a lot of respect towards Samuel Gawith which is one of the last remaining keepers of the vanishing art of English pipe-tobacco producing. That's why even the pathetic fault with this highly pretentiously named product doesn't affect my high esteem of SG, which otherwise offers an unmatched array of superb quality products. No human being, no tobacco maker and no smoking mixture in this world is perfect, and Samuel Gawith is no exception.

I see, a fellow reviewer said here some 7 years before: "The worst SG I have sampled to date". I second that. Don't bother to buy this. Not recommended.

Bud_Harold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bud_Harold (22)

Can't say that I understand the negative reviews of this blend, because in my opinion this stuff is quite good. Great balance between the Latakia, VA's, and Turkish tobacco's. I'm able to taste a delicious hint.of vanilla sweetness that helps to mellow things out nicely. If you want a fuller English, this ain't it. This is just a tick above mild for me.

Just a well blended, perfectly burning, mellow, flavorful smoke. Well worth the coin!

Pipe Used: Grabow Silver Duke and Grabow Royalton

Purchased From: .Local B&M

Leandro Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Leandro (13)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

A very well balanced blend. The Vanilla touch is almost unnoticed so simplifying is a fine mild english. I really admire the balance in each element of this one but in truth there are lots of better options in Samuel Gawith. Cool and mellow, emotionally neutral and quite pleasant...

initials SG Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
initials SG (29)
Medium Very Mild Mild Tolerable

Not everyone's cup of tea it seems, but goes well with coffee. Very mellow and smooth english flavor. It can be a little bit tart and has some nice nuttiness, which more or less complements the very subtle vanilla casing. Good for breakfast or as an all day smoke.

I have smoked two tins of it so far. With the first tin, the vanilla casing was stronger and sweeter. I actually enjoyed it a little more that way, though not a fan of aromatics. And with the second, it was barely detectable, and the character of the tobacco is slightly different; not in the least bit sweet. Still good. The first tin was great however.

Moist in the tin, and may not immediately take a light, but burns slow and cool. It's my opinion that this one is good revved up a little - just a few sharper puffs to get the oils in it properly combusting, and then smoking at a cadence that is just a little more aggressive than slow sipping to keep them that way.

Not every blend has to knock your socks off, this one doesn't. Will be buying more, it's a good change of pace blend.

Age When Smoked: several years

gam86 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gam86 (49)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

I think the vanilla in these tobacco is really subtle and you cannot always "taste" it, also it changes from tin to tin. The first time I smoked was at a friends house and the vanilla taste was Mild to Medium, so i bought two tin and in both of them the flavoring is extremely mild, it's really under the latakia strong taste. Still is an enjoyable english mixture.

Otis56 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Otis56 (31)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

I see the ratings for this mixture are all over the place. Perfection? I think not. But to some one it apparently was. None the less this mixture seems balanced to myself. The Latakia is pleasant and noticeable throughout the smoke I would say that the Virginia and Turkish are the stars in this mixture. Vanilla? Not that I could detect. But over all a very nice smoke. I would buy this mixture again. Peace

Pipe Used: Lombardo from the 50's

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Purchased From: Trade

Similar Blends: ?.

So this is Samuel Gawith's idea of perfection? Well, it isn't mine, and it's a fair bit less perfect than some of their other blends. Unlike some of the other reviewers, I had no trouble picking out the vanilla. It was more prominent in the room note but I tasted it as well. It was the Turkish that I couldn't find. The virginias were out front with the latakia well to the rear and the vanilla flavor sort of lightly draped over the proceedings. But the Turkish was MIA in my tin. I got a feeling that the vanilla flavoring was just evident enough to throw this blend into confusion. It was not unpleasant but, like Grousemoor, it just seemed to me that SG didn't put their best tobacco into this mix. Smoking BBF and FVF along with a slew of others lets me know that they have stellar virginias in their house, but chose not to use them for this one.

I'm not sure what the steaming process does unless it's like stoving, which would definitely tone down the assertiveness of the tobacco. It surely did so here. Again, the concept is intriguing but the execution didn't fare quite so well. Worth a try if you like very light latakia and want something that smells better in the room. If you're looking for something more flavorful, SG has plenty to choose from.

Susanna Hoffs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Susanna Hoffs (74)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

How ironic that there is a faithful looking retriever on the front of the tin.....

The only thing that's missing, is the accompanying freshly laid 'lawn turd' situated right behind mans best friend in said picture.....Because that's what this bland flavourless dross smoked like.

Weak, tasteless, smokeless, indulgent rubbish. The worst SG I have sampled to date. The only reason it gets a star, is because I like dogs.

If you want a decent medium English, try Old Dublin, not this kackarakkahoohaar!

There are NO traces of the suggested VANILLA in this blend whatsoever either..

Perfection this aint...

CPT/VSG Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CPT/VSG (72)

This is the second SG blend that I have found to react oddly with my tongue and taste buds, leaving my sense of flavor diminished after a bowl. Not exactly tongue bite but something akin. That aside, the blend is pretty mild in flavor but a worthy SG product for a piper seeking an all day light English.

BostonPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BostonPipe (83)

Overall I found his blend to be a smooth, nice change of pace from my oriental and english blends. The flavoring was subtle, with what I experienced to be a slight creamy overture to it. As another reviewer has stated, it packed a little springy. However, after the false-light it settled right down with the re-light. It burned to a fine ash without a wet-heel at the end, unlike most of the "danish-flavored" blends that I have tried in the past. For the "Medussa" rating, my wife stated that this was more tolerable than my "usual" blends.

Sybariten Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sybariten (60)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Full Tolerable

First - I am one of those who love latakia in periods, but I rarely smoke a tin without switching between it and something lighter on the palette. That said, I really enjoyed this one. Not at all a heavy aromatic, Perfection's added vanilla just smoothens the blend and makes it creamier, without being anymore in one's face than, say, the plum topping of Dunhill Royal Yacht. One of the best English blends that I have tried.

Taste: Really akin to other Gawith English blends like Squadron leader and Skiff mixture, the almost toffee sweet smokeyness with hints of hazelnuts and fresh cut grass greets the smoker as one would expect, with a savoury, salty note steadily present. But this one states that there is a topping of vanilla added. This is a sophisticated topping, not at all overly present or brash in nature, rather it lingers on the tongue on the finish. It adds a bit of sweetness, but this is still no where near as confectionery as McClelland's Frog-series. It is just well rounded and full flavoured. Compared to other offerings in the Samuel Gawith catalogue, this is a bit richer than Skiff Mixture and a bit less so than Squadron Leader.

Mechanics: Fine ribbon cut, not overly moist but could do with some drying, burns great with no bite. Mild to medium nicotine.

Pipe Used: Briar and cob.

Rob73 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rob73 (77)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Someone feels the vanilla hint, someone doesn't. That's how the personal taste and feeling works! I feel it and to me is very pleasant. In fact, for some summer smokes, I used to add a little bit of Sweet Vanilla Honeydew to some EM. But ther is no need when we have SG Perfection. 4,0/5 in my personal rating system.

Purchased From: Paoletti, Lucca (Italy)

pinko Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pinko (52)

A sweet, light breakfast blend with a little more Latakia and a little less Turkish than my standby, Early Morning Pipe. Pancakes instead of bacon and eggs. The backbone is gently steamed Virginia tobacco that wouldn't bite if you tried. It's smooth VA tobacco, for sure.

The Turkish and Latakia are balanced well, a bit more smoky than tangy but well within expectations for a light blend. A sweet vanilla top note is barely there as compared to American aromatics or the Lakeland heavyweights. Just enough flavoring to compliment the blend, nothing in your face.

Perfection needs a little drying out of the tin, maybe 1/2 hour. By the end of the tin, it's dry and ready to go.

It's my second-favorite morning blend, but I have to be in the mood for the extra sweetness. Not an everyday smoke, but a cheery change of pace.

Age When Smoked: fresh - 6 months

Big Blue Jazzman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Blue Jazzman (47)
Mild Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

Bought this in bulk. Hope the tin is better. Mine smelled nasty upon opening and tasted more like some kind of chemical than vanilla. Was really disappointed as all the other SG blends I've tried were awesome. Ended up in file 13.

Pipe Used: new dear

Purchased From: cuo o joes

aksamolsa Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
aksamolsa (20)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Not as much as the name suggested but it is a good smoke, if you like English blends than probably you will like it. In order to appreciate this one you need to come back after a few different blends. Mellow, earthy and nutty with a good base, doesn't feel like overwhelmed but yet satisfying to the end. Reminds me of squadron but a lot more rounded. Can be smoked anytime, I always come back for it.

Haccaero Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Haccaero (3)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I Know lot of people like this tobacco but for me it's been a delusion. I don't like strenght tobaccos, but this is really very light with low taste.

Pipe Used: peterson, vauen, savinelli, castello

Age When Smoked: now

Purchased From: madrid

Jorge Soler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jorge Soler (130)

I wasn't impressed with this tobacco (Perfection) at all, but you can still make do with it. The tin note is as strong and pungent as, say for example, Squadron Leader, but the former is more dominated by black/darker leaf tobacco. I have detected sort of a sourness/bitterness in this tobacco, which I suppose come from the Turkish leaf, but I don't mean this in a bad way. Neither flavouring, nor tongue-bite, have been detected, and the room-note is in line with what you can expect from a Latakia based tobacco. It evolves OK in your bowl and it is possible to smoke it to fine ash if properly dry.

Pipe Used: Northern Briars G4 squared poker

Age When Smoked: ?

Fred T Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fred T (67)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

I see why they call this Perfection. It comes pretty close. It's an excellent English style tobacco, Real English flavor, and a little less powerful than Dunhill 965, which is my go to English smoke. I give both Perfection and 965 4 stars.

Pipe Used: Dunhill Billiard

Age When Smoked: New to 1 year old depending on tin.

Purchased From: Smoking pipes.com

Similar Blends: Dunhill 965.

Mr. Motoyoshi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Motoyoshi (68)

I am a huge fan of Samuel Gawith Blends. I find their tobaccos to be of very high quality and are always complex or very rich. I'm guessing some would consider this a "cross over" blend but I'm gonna call it an Aromatic. It was something that I was very interested in trying from a brand that has brought me FVF, SL, BBF and Firedance Flake.

The tin has a wonderful presentation of dark blacks and browns with specks of beige and gold. I got a top note of sweetness/ vanilla. I was a little surprised to hear that others didn't detect any casing when they opened the tin. The Vanilla seems to smooth out the Latakia and Oriental's scent from the tin. It's very refreshing.

The tobacco straight out of the tin is a little moist and can definitely use some drying. Packs like most other ribbon cuts but is a little thicker than some other blenders. It is definitely not an overly gooey tobacco and won't leave your hand with excessive flavoring residue.

Lighting this tobacco there is a slight hint of vanilla. It's hard to call this a vanilla because it's an overall general sweetness. It does a great job of pushing the flavor of the orientals with the latakia into the forefront while providing a nice undertone of sweetness. Pipeline hit the nail on the head comparing this to a softer version of Squadron Leader. The VAs don't seem to do much in this blend, or at least not in my experience with it. But the first half of the bowl has some nice interplay between the "vanilla" topping and the other tobaccos (mainly latakia and turkish/oriental). There does seem to be a bit too much of Turkish taking the spotlight away from the other tobaccos. It doesn't tend to bite too much but does leave a funny feeling in your mouth. But I have had this reaction to some English blends.

Now, the remaining half of the bowl is something that's frustrating and disappointing. It seems that the topping wears off (or potentially compounds on itself) and gives off a very ashy flavors. One of the reviewers, Sirloirn, aptly put "cigarette taste towards the bottom". I don't know if it's just too much Turkish or what. But, without fail almost every bowl, of every material that I have, of various sizes of pipes, the latter half just turns into an ashy flavor with the occasional hint of Latakia. The one positive about finishing a bowl is that there is a clean white ash and no gooey mess.

If this tobacco could maintain that gentle balance that it has for the first half, this would be an easy 3 star blend if not bordering on a 4 star. But, since I can't have a positive latter half of the bowl, it's only good for 2 stars.

Alas, I could not enjoy this blend as much as I wanted to. I have found Glynn Quelch's Chocolate and Vanilla to be the Aromatic Latakia blend I was looking for. Though it is nothing like Perfection.

Pipe Used: Cobs, Briars and Mortas

o3Ho3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
o3Ho3 (28)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Strong

Interesting to taste. Interesting to observe. Interesting to smell. Latakia touch is more than a touch and virginia make the difference. But that's all. sry guys.

Pipe Used: always Peterson

Like for so many others, for me the casing on this was almost undetectable. As an Oriental/latakia blend, this is a very nice but not overly interesting blend for me. The Orientals were well buried, and even though the Latakia was not too strong, it was still the major note by far. Since I know there are many tobaccos out there I would rate a 4, the question arises would I rebuy this particular tobacco, assuming my tastes don't change much more. In this case, the answer is probably not.

Demetri Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Demetri (113)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I should have known better than to put this in my pipe. A sample, unsolicited, from my B&M tempted me to lose my mind and think I could stray from my antipathy toward flavored Latakia blends. The esteem in which Samuel Gawith blends are normally held I will, probably unfairly, blame for my momentary insanity.

As with Esoterica's St. Ives, I had the identical, feeling of nausea trying to smoke this. Cross-over "English" blends and I do not do well together. When I want vanilla a once in six months cob load of 1Q suffices. Here the flavoring just ruins good tobacco to the point I can't really rate it outside of the flavoring. Sorry, guys.

Yes, the desert island test would find that I would quit smoking rather than suffer this one.

machinebcon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
machinebcon (50)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The name is misleading, this is not Perfection. It is something like a differently flavoured Westmorland, with a little bit more Latakia smokiness, and some natural sweetness. The casing is subtle but noticeable. The Orientals give it a slight Turkish Delight taste, a bit like Basma (?) though I doubt it comes from Basma indeed. Excellent burning qualities, easy to pack, very long ribbons and a comparably high amount of Lat in this tin. If classified as "English blend", Perfection is one of the worse at Gawith's. As an aromatic, it is excellent. As an "English Aromatic" I have smoked better ones. 2.5 of 5 stars, if you like Westmorland, you probably like Perfection too. Addendum (July 2013) -- now after some serious drying (half year!) it has become a great, musky, smokey blend. Very smokey, slightly bitter, and the vanilla is completely gone. Bumping to 3.5 of 5 stars.

renwardhoop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
renwardhoop (106)
Strong Strong Very Full Tolerable

Somebody got a load of old leather boots together and set fire to them.

Perfection is whats left over.

Not for me.

5 years later and I'd like to claim that the sample I had here is still in existence, but that would be a lie.

Mind you, this has to be one of the wettest ever blends from Samual Gawith's and this sample has indeed been around for at least half of that time. It's weathered quite well and my taste for tobacco has matured since I last tried this.

It isn't that strong really, unless you really pulled hard on this and I've certainly had latakia loaded blends heavier than this one. So, I tone down my ratings a little, but still wouldn't buy a full tin of this as it's not an all day smoke and could spend another 5 years in the dungeon.

Avoid if you dislike latakia, sample if you do.

Pipe Used: Most of my briars

Purchased From: Gifted

tleek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tleek (48)

This is a nice tobacco. Contrary to what others have said, the Vanilla is definitely there,very very subtle, but there. Its actually a vanilla like sweetness, rather than a strong vanilla flavor, but it is a lovely compliment to the light english blend. The blend is truly a blend, and it is a little hard to identify the different components. Very light, by the standards of one who enjoys very full Latakia blends, but not overly light. It taste like you would imagine a perfect light english blend tasting like, with some sweetness added in. Dont expect an aromatic type casing and terrific smells, the sole purpose of this flavor is to slightly sweeten the taste.

If i had to say, i would say the primary taste comes from a mixture of sweet virginias and turkish. The latakia is pretty light and the vanilla adds to the flavor slightly rather than dominating it.

If your a fan of Early Morning Pipe or Squadron Leader, i would recommend you give this a try.

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)

I usually like my English blends on the light side, I find Latakia heavy blends can also have a tartness to them, perfection really is sweet tasting but with plenty of smokey flavor. The Virginia still takes the main stage and the Turkish is a nice additive. I wish there were more Latakia blends like this, middle of the road, in a nice way. I preferred it to squadron leader. I agree with reviewers, the vanilla really goes unnoticed. Great entry level English blend for aromatic or va lovers. A nice early morning English blend. I've found its great for blending, adding a little spice to OTC blends without altering their intended flavors.

Northern Pipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Northern Pipes (22)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This was one of my first ventures into an english blend as I'm fairly new to pipes and am still in my aromatic honeymoon phase. I thought that having a mild vanilla flavouring may prove a nice transition, but I didn't get any hint of vanilla at all. I am not a fan right now, but It didn't offend me. I used to hate mushrooms as a kid but now I love them, you never know what the future holds with this tobacco for me. I plan on going back to this occasionally for more input. As far as a smoker of a few years and in the early stages of trying more savoury tobaccos, this tasted like ground wood chips to me. Other than that it lit well, it's smoked cool, had to pace myself a little more to avoid tongue bite.

I hoped for more and got much less. Perfection arrives way too moist and the cut is very rough requiring (for me) a lot of rubbing out. The flavor is bland and the vanilla....no vanilla to be found. It really needs some vanilla because as an English blend, it lacks badly. When I want and English with some Vanilla, 4 Noggin's "Britts Balkan" is the go to blend for me.

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (171)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Once you let this tobacco dry out, the "vanilla" flavor is gone......Forever.

The first few bowls I smoked was a nice, flavorful English mixture with a hint of sweetness. The addition of Turkish to this blend left a sweet, minty flavor on the palate, long after the bowl cooled down.

But after drying out, you are left with a regular SG English blend. But hey, that's not so bad!

Rodricus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rodricus (23)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

Tried several Samuel Gawith blends and this is the one that works for me. A proper english blend that can be smoked any time of the day, and all day long if I get lucky.

Tried the small tin as well as the carboard package and they both seem the same to me. The "vainilla hint", as many have pointed might as well be a typo: this does not smells or taste like vainilla. Still, I have to admit that there is something that do give this blend a nice round finish.

derlict311 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
derlict311 (70)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Perfected blended, perfectly balanced and has highest of quality of Turkish orientals and their gentle spice. More mild than Squadron Leader and probably best in the morning with coffee. I like everything about this tobacco.

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (180)

A very nice blend from Samuel Gawith. Everything in this blend seems to come together nicely. It comes a little bit moist in the tin. But once it has been opened for a couple days seems to dry out somewhat. I can't really taste the vanilla, but what there is of it makes a nice addition to the smoke. This does seem to burn down nicely to a fine ash at the bottom of the bowl. It also produces a nice amount of smoke. I would recommend this when it is available, which seems to be an issue with Gawith blends of late.

Monopod Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Monopod (24)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I made a mistake with this one, since I intended not to smoke latakia out of free choice, for a while at least. Perhaps that made me more objective ? I think that it's a good man that can carry a tobacco experience accurately over the years.I smoked quite a lot of Balkan Sobranie years ago, and the other in the khaki tin that I can't remember the name of. My good friend smoked pounds of both during our time together (RIP)

Well, I'm sorry Tony but I tried to like it with your passion, but if this one is close to the recipe for BS I don't like it. For latakia lovers though this must be one of the best available.

ChevySpoons Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ChevySpoons (6)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Acceptable, even pleasant, but not outstanding.

The problem may be that this one hasn't yet decided what it is. Is it an English? Is it an aromatic? Hard to tell. If somebody was looking for a vanilla, I wouldn't suggest this, as I found the vanilla hard to detect. Good tobacco taste and Latakia is present, though, so if an aromatic smoker was looking to explore English tobaccos, I might suggest this as a nice introduction.

Overall, a pleasant, but somewhat puzzling, blend.

Billy777 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Billy777 (17)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

My first impression on opening the tin was that it smelled like a cross between burnt rubber and burnt manure.

So it was a surprise that it turned out to be subtle and refined when I smoked it. The Virginia and Latakia are nicely balanced and give a slightly salty taste. What I really liked was that it was slow burning and kept getting better as I smoked it down to the bottom of the bowl.

Sinister Topiary Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sinister Topiary (84)

Could I have found my default blend with this one?

I shared the opinion of others here -- a latakia blend topped with vanilla? But the vanilla is a mere whisper deftly applied that wonderfully suits the soft latakia. And the absence of oriental is noticeable, but not necessarily a bad thing since it's nicely balanced without it.

I'm reminded of other quality english crossovers like Frog Morton on the Town. Indeed if I were to characterize its flavor I would say... imagine if Samuel Gawith made Captain Black White -- top quality leaf, no hint of chemicals, greatly toning down the twinkie-marshmallow-vanilla topping with a deft hand until it's a mere suggestion -- then crossed it with a bit of Commonwealth, and you get Perfection.

So why not four stars? Because this is a fine table wine to be drunk with pleasurable ease, not some exceptional vintage to be savored. Perfection is not exceptional, nor necessarily a masterpiece. (Can a table wine be exceptional? No, but it can be terrific!) What Perfection is is an extremely enjoyable, simple, quality smoke that has enough going on to keep it interesting.

I enjoy Perfection very much. This might just become my go-to default blend when I want a wonderfully satisfying smoke that I don't need to savor as I would my other favorites.

Highly recommended for those wanting to move from aros to english, as well as to those who simply want an easy quality english smoke.

Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

Ok, I was sceptical about this one. A vanilla flavoring on a Latakia blend?

Actually, it is very very subtle: only barely perceivable in the tin aroma, and even less during the smoke.

It's not a bad tobacco, provided that you let it dry quite a bit (like many other SG offerings). It tastes natural, it has a nice medium body and taste, and it smokes very well. It reminds me of Squadron Leader, but perhaps less dominated by the orientals.

It isn't a tobacco that one can rave about: nothing particularly striking, but it's a fine all-day smoke. Tasty without being too heavy, with a nice balance of nutty, spicy and sweet. Ok, maybe if I actually smoked this all day long I would quickly grow bored with it.

Not necessarily a blend I will stash in my cellar, but I'll gladly buy a tin of it once in a while.

nikko Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nikko (5)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This stuff is just awesome,I love the smell out of the tin. A bit moist, better when dried out a little. Not sure if I taste or smell vanilla, there is something sweet about it though. About half bowl it gets even better dont know how to explain this as I am new to the review club. I ordered a lb of this,I hope it is as good as the tin. This is my fav, I have smoked several english blends,965,Balken seiseni,squadren leader,Three oaks syrian,EMP, all great tobaccs. This one is the best to me so far, probably just personal preferance.

DEN-C1956 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DEN-C1956 (32)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

i have just smoked a few bowls of this wonderful blend,as has already been said by 'briarpatch' not as strong as 'squadron leader'but a very nice blend,this tobacco is quite course cut but packs well in the bowl,and im getting quite a liking to samuel gawith pipe tobaccos.if you want a nice easy going tobacco this is a very good one to try.upon opening the tin theres an aroma like 'SL'..but just a little less hitting,wonderful stuff...i like it a lot.

cmhpipesmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cmhpipesmoker (21)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

It's almost impossible for me to give a true review of this blend since I ended up adding nearly an ounce of Cyprian latakia to a 50 gram tin. My first experience with this blend was just a whiff of it, in bulk, at my local pipe shop. Even though described as a mild blend, it did have hints of the latakia aroma I like. It wasn't until several weeks later that I went back to purchase several ounces of it but found that they were out of the bulk. I ended up buying the 50 gram tin and it sat around my house for nearly a year before I popped the tin. When I did, it had a flat aroma. With every tin I open, I typically dump them in glass jars for aging. I let this sit for several weeks before smoking a bowl. Again, its aroma was just flat and I was not, in my opinion, smoking even a mild English blend. Not being very patient (I probably should have let it sit for several months), I went back to my local pipe shop and purchased an ounce of Cyprian latakia. A small portion of it I added to another blend but nearly three quarters of this went into the rest of PM. Interestingly, its aroma (pre lit) is now close to that of Skiff. However, once lit, it does not smoke like Skiff but as a slightly sweet, almost medium robust English blend. I'm not saying this is a bad blend because I believe Sam Gawith to be one of the finest blenders and produces high quality blends. I love both Squadron Leader and Commonwealth Mixture. This is just a blend that's not right for me. Without the additional latakia, I gotta give it a two rating. However, give it a whirl as is and you may like it. If you find you don't like it and if you're into "making your own blends", you won't be disappointed by adding in some latakia.

newmission Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
newmission (14)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

Being a fan of early English blends this brought back some old memories of the bulk blends that used to be sold at Humidore One Panasch in Southfield, Michigan. (just outside Detroit). It was a great shop filled with tins and bulk, pipes galore and the largest walk in humidore that I have ever seen. The English blend is very mild and not overpowering while the vanilla top just sweeten's a bit. There was a shop in Royal Oak called 3 Ravens that had a house blend called English Breakfast Tea. SG Perfection brings back memories of that blend. Stout, but sweet, like a good cup of black Tea with just the right amount of sugar to take the edge off. I am convinced that SG has a good thing going here. Wont smoke it everyday, but it will be in my rotation and I am sure that I will always have a tin hiding somewhere around the house. PEACE

kg0mz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kg0mz (54)

Broken flake. Really? I dug around in the tin a little, and I didn't find any broken flake. I was looking forward to a broken flake SG tobacco. I much prefer a flake (or plug) to ribbon. I may not know how to smoke ribbon tobacco. I almost always regret messing around with ribbon.

Anyway, I liked this even though I was convinced I would not like it, determined not to like it. Same with Grousemoor, I hated liking it, too. Two SG tobaccos I have not liked liking. I have tins of Squadron Leader I dread opening. And, I can name a few GL Pease tobaccos that are members of this set.

Not to be beating a deceased horse here, but I firmly believe that ribbon leads to hot spots in the pipe and tongue bite. Why mess with it when you can enjoy a cool, slow burning flake, plug or twist?

5/15/09 UPDATE: Anacol! In a larger bowl (24 mm) the burning characteristics are entirely different, very much improved. I am beginning to appreciate just how much the pipe can influence the tobacco. This stuff is divine in a big, old, heavy, bent billiard I picked up on eBay (a Ben Wade repaired and reconditioned by Tim West). This pipe combusts this ribbon better than any other pipe I own. Wow.

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (187)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

As somebody said Perfection is the gentle face of Latakia ! A very ?politically correct? medium English mixture, smooth and soft, w/ a very light vanilla topping which I can detect only in the tin aroma.

It smokes always cool, flavourful and dry, with just a hint of ?aromatic? which I just like very much.

Regarding the components, useless to say they are of the very first quality.

Would I be able to stick to a medium EM as an all-day smoke, Perfection has all the numbers to be that one.

Again, the high price still affects from receiving my four stars.

WillardFan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillardFan (86)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Being a big fan of S.G. Tobaccos, I have to say that I'm a bit disappointed with this one. Everything about this blend is subliminal. You think you might be getting ready for some kind of flavor burst, only to have it disappear as quickly as it started. It took some effort to keep this stuff lit as well. Very moist just out of the tin, might want to let it sit out a bit before putting a match to it. Nothing really stands out with this blend, IMHO it's just too bland for my palette. I don't think I'll be wanting anymore of this in the future...

p4p4 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
p4p4 (59)
Strong Medium Medium Pleasant

This is a difficoult to smoke blend. With charme and elegance, like every Gawiths products.

jankoez Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jankoez (67)

It is no doubt where from this blend is coming, it is correct English mixture - somewhat in modern style because of vanilla. Since it is quite mild, it is good for beginners in pipe smoking, as well it is good for those occasions when one wants to smoke spicier tobacco and still other people are not complaining for strong room note.

Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Strong

I hadn?t reviewed this tobacco because, quite frankly, I don?t like it at all. I wouldn?t go as far as to say it is dreadful, but it definitely pales against other Gawith offerings. I hadn?t really found the time to put into words the reason I dislike artificially sweetened Latakia or Oriental mixtures (be it by the topping or the casing methods). But, well, I?ve just been on a holiday and after giving it some thought, I hope you don?t mind me sharing my perspective.

Personally I dislike artificially sweet Latakia mixtures. I get the impression the tobacco becomes bloated, heavier than it really is, and confusing. More or less the same thing happened when I smoked Bob?s Chocolate Flake, or MacBarns? Latakia. The thing is I don?t enjoy the STRUGGLE in my palate between the vanilla casing agent (or chocolate, or cherry or whatever) and the salty-mineral-earthly-humid leather-burnt wood nuances of Latakias (especially the Cyprus variety)

Mind you, I?m not referring to the savoury interplay between Latakia, and the NATURAL sweetness of Virginias, Orientals, or even Burleys. In fact McConell?s Scottish Mixture uses a fire-cured Kentucky that provides a naturally sweet and smoky enhanced contrast to the Latakia, not to mention Dunhill?s use of an UNSWEETENED variety of brown Cavendish leaf in My Mixture 965 (nowadays I have no idea what Orlik uses in that blend).

However, in Perfection, as in Chocolate Flake, or in MacBarens? Latakia mixture, there?s too much of a contradiction in flavour, and it poses, at least for my poor palate, something impossible to solve. I mean can one imagine the Pittsburgh Steelers? Iron Curtain playing a gentle and suave defence against the Dallas Cowboys? Not that Latakia should have the strength of Mean Joe Green or Jack Lambert, but it definitely is no Lynn Swann either (yes, yes, I?ve been watching the NFL channel).

Mild Mild Medium Tolerable

Very interesting "hybrid" blend. Light on Orientals, this is mainly a Virginia/Latakia with some vanilla-like flavoring (I taste some rum sometimes). It reminds me of PS English Oriental Supreme, although I like Perfection better due to milder flavoring, which lets you enjoy the true tobacco flavor and also bites a lot less.

Another high quality SG mixture. Not an everyday smoke, but nice for a change of pace from your regular English/Balkans.

WmZiggy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WmZiggy (76)

This is a mild or "morning" English blend. I wasn't aware of the Vanilla top dressing till I read it here, nor did I pick it out when I openned the tin. What I did notice was the nice presentation of Bright and Brown Virginia and Turkish leaf and light dose of Latakia. I was hoping that this would be a lighter Latakia blend and I wasn't disappointed.

On the charring light and first third of the smoke the Latakia dominated the taste. About mid-bowl the Latakia took a back seat and the Turkish/Virginia interplay took center stage. The smoke was mild, subtly sweet, with a nice Turkish twang with Latakia under tones from mid-bowl to finish. From mid-bowl to finish I enjoyed this tobacco best.

If you buy this blend as a Vanilla aromatic you will be disappointed. If, on the other hand, you are looking for a toned down English, you might enjoy it. I like blends that use Latakia sparingly, such as IRC's Dr. Bradly. I would characterize this as a step up in Latakia from that blend.

PipePaladin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipePaladin (78)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

This one is similar to squadron leader but with a light - hard to detect note of vanilla! Not 'perfect' but nice English alternative to your rotation!

constantsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
constantsmoker (65)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I like to characterize this blend as a milder version of Gawith's other fine blend, Commonwealth. The additon of Turkish/Orientals and a decrease in Latakia yield a pleasant, flavorful smoking experience. The "hint of Vanilla" is but dimly perceptible upon opening the tin, which I found gratifying, for I feared a heavy-handed aromatic couched as a Balkan blend.

The tobacco fires up nicely, and the balance of sweet Virginias, slightly fragrant and spicey Turkish, and smokey Latakia is...well, Perfection (almost). I find it a great all-day or every day smoke. Not only is this a nicely balanced tobacco blend, and a perfect introduction to Balkan blends; it is part of a great Gawith 'family' of Commonwealth, Squadron Leader, Balkan Flake and Navy Flake.

Sasquatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sasquatch (81)
Mild to Medium Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

Well, Sam Gawith struck out on this one. Mixing Captain Black and Standard Mixture Mild does not yield anything that excites me. I just could not get this blend to taste like much of anything. Room note is all right. Maybe a transitional mix for some - it's easy enough to smoke, and quality is high.

For me, I'd rather sink into some Commonwealth or Squadron Leader if I want an English, and if I want an aromatic, I'll hit the Captain Black or Argosy or something. Once again, a tobacco tries to do it all, and comes out flat.

Relapse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Relapse (18)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Other than the bad joke square tins of all SG tobaccos, this one is a must. If you like -as I emphatically do- English or "Balkan" style blends, you will find this rather unique blend a tasteful variant. The advertised vanilla topping is virtually non-existant and it serves only to make its room note a pleasant one that wont make your non-smoker companions flee for the door.

The taste is full, although with an almost dessert-like quality. The VA's are sweet and round, the orientals deliciously mild and the latakia prominent but not overpowering. The latter provides also a cedar timberland aroma that tops the blend very well.

I cannot understand how some folks find this mixture boring. To me its certainly straightforward, lacking some of the complexity that many English style blends display, not always to their best advantage. Perfection on the other hand is like a fine steak grilled to perfection in comparison to a sauced tournedo that depends on the recipe to hide its shortcomings. It's a superbly simple apple pie vs. a complex chocolate and truffle cake... You know what I mean.

As of today, I've gone through some 600g (12 tins) of Perfection and it has all but replaced Squadron Leader as my morning smoke. Of course, I reach for heavier mixtures at special times but I might smoke this one exclusively and not miss the variety much.

BTW, it ages fast. Some tins, purchased six months ago are displaying a much nicer character than the new tins. I plan to get some twenty tins, wrap them in several layers of Saran Wrap to avoid vacuum leaks and set them aside to age a few years. If I live to smoke them I bet they will be a treat.

- - - - Added August 22, 2006 - - - - -

In addition, this must be one of the noblest blends around. It behaves extremely well in most types of bowls, tall and narrow or squat and wide. It packs easily, resisting overpacking. Keeps lit unless you purposefully let it go out, smokes cool even to the point when you cannot hold the bowl because of its temperature; even then, it fails to scorch your tongue no matter how fast you puff. The sweet dessert-like taste is there from the first puff down to the dottle, which, BTW, is almost nonexistant except in pipes with a deep heel below the airhole. A blend to enjoy wholly.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (180)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Deceptive, I was expecting a strong english with some vanilla on top. But this is about as easy to smoke as it could be. No aromatic burn or loss of flavor. This blend is smooth and tasty. This is my first S. Gawith blend and it will certainly not be my last. The flavor is not an obvious vanilla as you would expect but instead more thick and creamy, lucious like a chardonnay barrelled in oak.

Lancelot Gobbo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lancelot Gobbo (23)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Perfection seems to me to be on the border between an English blend and a Balkan. The orientals and latakia are much more forward than in a standard english tobacco. It resembles Nightcap in many ways apart from the extra smokiness of the latakia, which is much more easily noticed here, even though it may not be in the same percentage. It's a bit like I imagine mixing one third Balkan Sobranie with two thirds Nightcap. A balkanized Nightcap, or perhaps a Squadron Leader posted to duty in Serbia! A gentle introduction to the balkan style, it light easily, stays lit, and smokes to a powdery ash. Don't puff fast or it will nip your tongue, but this is easily managed. Plenty of nicotine in there too.

This looks and smells just like "Squadron Leader" but has the slightest hint of vanilla added to it. It has the same short broad ribbons in the same brown to dark brown leaf color.It is a little moist upon opening the tin but that did not seem to affect the burn in the pipe. Packing is easy with a lighter touch seeming to work best. Initial flavor is like "Squadron Leader" but the vanilla casing comes in nicely after the second light. The balance between the leaf and the casing is perfect IMO, with nice interplay all the way to the bottom of the bowl which is suprisingly dry. From time to time I got a whiff of a floral note similar to "Bob's Chocolate Flake" which makes me wonder if this casing is also present in that blend. All in all I found this blend to be an excellent cross-over blend. I go through aromatic phases from time to time and when in that mood, this is one I will definitely smoke. Rating 4 out of 5 points. Amereaux probably would smoke this. Enjoy....

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

So the heat index is > 105F again and my quest for a cooler, summer smoke continues. This one caught my interest due to the hint of vanilla claimed in the PR. I didn't really sense it much in the aroma or the taste, but no harm done. I'm not sure that this is 'perfection' but it's a good smoke. I would guess that a Company established in 1792 must be doing something right. An interesting mix of wide ribbons of VAs from yellow thru red to black with some Turkish for good measure. These are high quality tobaccos. The Latakia is also there but not overpowering in any respect. Overall, this English taste is enjoyable. After the initial light which is slightly difficult, this blend burns evenly and coolly without the need for multiple relights that I sometimes encounter with ribbon cuts. Even if mistreated, I experienced no bite. Although this one will not be an all day smoke, it is a nice change from my normal VA flakes in the hot weather.

Albion1956 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Albion1956 (41)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Those were the days, when you search the land over, just to come back and have your tobacconist develop a blend to your likeing. Well Perfection is just that, a weel made blend of quality Va's, a portion of latakia, and a Turkish presence. Upon the can opening ceremony, I detected a vanilla presence, mixed well with the aforesaid, and a nice looking blend it is. After some fresh air, no not me, the tobacco, we loaded up an old Loewe. The first light brought out a classy taste of fine tobacco's, with just a waffing of vanilla. Tamp and proceed, this was done with some care, so not as to rush the process, and get tongue bit from the combination of Va's and vanilla. This blend smoked well, with a slight golden color to the pale ash, and required no other light. there was very little dottle, and like all flavored tobacco's, this one is no different, smoke it in a committed pipe. A well made tobacco, especially if you like vanilla, as I said, it's not a strong presence, but it is there. I tried this with a head cold, and I may try it again.