This is a tobacco that our blender has been making for himself for years. It's a fine granular cut tobacco (Just scoop it into your pipe) comprised of dark matured Virginia, both sweetened and unsweetened black Cavendish, Crumb Cut Burley, Bright Virginia, Perique and just a tiny bit of condimental Latakia to cool the blend. A very sweet, nutty tobacco that doesn't quite cross into the aromatic territory.

BrandWatch City Cigar
Extremely Mild
Taste
Very Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Choppy cut with a few cubes and ribbons and easy to load, the bag nose of this is whatever flavoring is used (I can't discern it) barely on top and basic tobacco goodness underneath. In an unusual twist of fate, the aromatic garnish is more noticeable through the unopened bag than once I stuck my snout into the opened bag. As advertised, it loads easily with a scoop method but the basic three-step fill can also be employed. A new blend from Ernie (and this one is named for him) comes to me with an air of excitement and anticipation, so I plunged in.

Pleasant room note abounds in this one and the smoker can still enjoy the taste of actual tobacco! I can't say that I specifically tasted all the components, particularly the perique, but it was a very coherent blend with nothing jumping out, including the flavoring. I would agree that it doesn't quite jump into aromatic territory but it does have an aromatic-type room note, albeit with a bit of codger blend tossed in. Tastewise, it was sweet but leaned determinedly towards a non-aromatic sweetness. And it wasn't so sweet that the tobacco flavor was diminished. This one seems geared towards someone that wants to please non-smokers but doesn't want to eschew the taste of tobacco... a mild aromatic for tobacco lovers might be a good way to describe Quint's Own. It didn't ring any particular chimes for me but I respect it as I opine it's expected fans. I won't be stocking up but it's an easy recommendation.

The woody, earthy, mildly sugary molasses sweet, and very nutty burley takes a small lead over the other components. The slightly tangy, dark and stewed fruity, earthy, wood dark matured Virginia is a supporting player. The grassy, citrusy bright Virginia plays around the same level of the sweetened and unsweetened black cavendish. The spicy, plummy, raisiny perique is a condiment. A pinch of smokey, woody, earthy sweet Cyprian latakia provides a light flavor push to the experience. The strength is just shy of the center of mild to medium, while the taste reaches that mark. The nic-hit is a half step below the strength level. Won’t bite or get harsh. Burns cool and clean and a tad slow with a very consistent flavor from top to bottom. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, and needs a few relights. Has a pleasant, slightly lingering after taste. Can be an all day smoke.

-JimInks

Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I think this is quite a good blend if it is rated as an aromatic and particularly, if it is smoked from a cob. I note this because I opened this expecting more of an American English type blend. One sniff will clear that up as the topping is pretty strong IMO.

Notes of Vanilla, fruit and some type of liquor seem to dominate over the leaf. When you are talking about some latakia and perique this is no small chore. The description is misleading to me as it states that this is almost aromatic. To me, it is absolutely aromatic. So if you are getting this expecting something in the way of C&D Epiphany, you will be highly disappointed.

On the merits of what it is, it is pretty good. The topping is not cloying or annoying. I did find it best in my meers and cobs, but I did enjoy it in briar as well. This is one of those smoke all day mindless blends. It won't bite you, the neighbors will catch a drift on the wind and give you a smile and perhaps a wave as the smell is pretty friendly and is sure to evoke memories of old time Americana.

I am between 3 to 4 stars on this one and opted for three, but there were moments when I was smoking this that I found it just incredible. Good Stuff.

Purchased From: Watch City

brashboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brashboy (84)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Well, Quint's Own is sweet and it is nutty, and you can indeed scoop it right into your pipe and light it. I can't decide if the touch of Latakia makes this blend or hurts it, but I love the blend. The Black Cav is nice, and I adore crumb-cut Burley. The Perique is added with a light hand, for those of your concerned about it. Great tobacco taste with a sweetness that I think is natural in the leaf used, though one of the Black Cavendishes is sweetened a bit, but (surprise) a bit of sweetness in the casing is the usual in all tobaccos. I'm not generally an aromatic fan and this is not quite an aromatic, just a shade sweet. No mango or black cherry, thank God.

One minute I get the mild sweetness, the next I get true codger taste and hints of stewed fruit and Latakia. I like it a lot. Your significant other will like it, too.