A bit lighter in strength and taste than Full Virginia Flake. Broken flake cut.

Notes: Formally known as Medium Virginia Flake, the named was changed due to new EU laws.

BrandSamuel Gawith
Blended BySamuel Gawith
Manufactured BySamuel Gawith
Packaging250 grams box
Strength
Taste

3.1

A mild to medium tasting Virginia with a far amount of citrus, hay/straw and grass notes, as well as a little dark fruit, light earth, and a hint of wood. Won't bite or get harsh even if pushed. There's not much nicotine here or complexity either. This is meant to be an all day naturally sweet straight Virginia smoke. It's easy to break up the flakes or fold and stuff as your preference allows. It burns slow and easy with a cool, clean, relatively smooth, very consistent flavor. Needs a few relights, and leaves little dampness in the bowl. Has a very pleasant after taste. An easy going all day smoke.

bent-1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bent-1 (36)

Background: I'm mostly a VA smoker, prefer flakes & straight pipes with VA's.

It's described as a FVF lite & most likely won't be a favorite of those who like stronger blends. But what it may lack in strength, it more than makes up for in flavor. This is one of my favorite VA blends, a light smoke, especially in the nicotine department.

The flakes are the thickness of a standard flake, but cut into 4" long, 1/8" square strings that are flexible and soft. Upon inspection, the medium to light brown tobacco looks to have been stripped of stems. The sample I bought was moist, but not sopping or oily. Just enough to be flexible, supple.

Preparing to fill, I dry it using the oven method (60 seconds in a pre-heated oven, 200 degrees). I then bag it up & let it cool in a Ziplock bag. Then I break the strands into 1/2" strips & fill the pipe. Normal packing works well for me.

Upon light up, the pleasant oats waft is apparent & welcome. The light semi sweet taste is so nice with a cup of sweetened Joe in the morning. The blend remains constant down to the last crumb and leaves a white fluffy ash. Only clue it's the end of the bowl is when it's hard to relight. Speaking of which, I required a couple re-lights mainly due to a lack of attention to tamping (requires a little more so than most). I've yet to get any bite from this blend, even when puffing like a loaded freight train.

5-15-08 update

Still the same fine smoke as when first reviewed. KEY: Dry it just shy of crispy, I use the microwave for small batches (20 seconds on high spread on a paper towel).

VA's are like a Colibri butane lighter, persnickety to say the least. They favor certain pipes, require the right humidity, and can burn when worked too hard. I find Medium VA Flake to be like an Old Boy, a reliable performer, consistently good flavor. Many VA's are in my cupboard, this one gets the most attention.

6-07-2015 update

Sipping some MVF bulk jared since 2007 in a Missouri Meerschaum Mark Twain Pipe. Pipe stuffed as is, not rubbed out. The grassy note has been over taken by a sweet lemon citrus note, a touch of zest still present. puff slowly as it can get hot like most straight VA's. It can be monochromatic (like McClellands 5100), but the lemon cream wins me over.

This would blemd nicely with a black cavendish likke BCA) as well.

RCUSElder (who wrote an excellent review, IMO) enjoys this blend for the very reasons I find it only average, it's a weakling compared to Full Virginia Flake and I like more strength and flavor in my Virginia leaf.

Like FVF, this is a high quality flake Virginia that will burn clean and dry all the way to the bottom of the bowl. And, I think because I tugged too hard trying to find some taste, I got a bit of a nip on the tongue. More reasonable puffing should keep this one from biting.

quantumboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quantumboy (130)

This is a great tobacco. I like FVF and Pease's Union Square better, but those are in a little different category. This is medium, mild to middle of the road for flavor and strength, but a classic clean Virginia that every Virginia fan must at least try. Even if it's not your favorite, I think you will probably still enjoy smoking it. There is nothing offensive here, just a pure Virginia experience. Not nearly as oily as FVF, which suggests to me they use a lot less PG in this blend. Their website doesn't show Medium Virginia Flake, but I have heard that it's the same as Golden Glow.

Age When Smoked: About 5 years

Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

500 gram box that's been sitting in my cellar for a couple of years. Review is based on about 1.5 oz. They tell me that this is the bulk version of Golden Glow, and I can believe that although I don't know for a fact that it's true. Same golden color, although the flakes here are much longer (then again, so are the flakes in a box of FVF as opposed to the tin), same lemon-citrus, grass and hay high notes.

This one was a textbook version of a light lemon Virginia, unlike two I recently smoked (F&T CVP and Butera Golden Cake) which reached heights this one can't match. It would make a good all-day until dinner smoke, when a richer, more complex blend would probably work better. This would also be a nice hot weather outdoor smoke and I'm saving the rest of my box for when and if winter ever decides to end! Perfect for smokers that find OGS too fruity, as this tones down the "marinated in orange peel" taste I get from that one. Overall I find this one worth a visit but not destined for my rotation, as I find it leaning heavily towards "ordinary". But I'm revisiting this again this summer, as I think it might improve... and speaking of improving, this one should age nicely. And I wouldn't puff this one, as she's prone to biting. Nice and easy on MVF to get the best out of her.

Pipe Used: meerschaum and morta

Age When Smoked: 2 yearts

cakeanddottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cakeanddottle (68)

For me this is tied for best straight golden Va, along with Butera Golden Cake. Very different tobaccos, equally excellent.

This is essentially BBF/FVF before the processing. What you have here is an excellent quality of golden Va. Empire leaf vs the American leaf used by McClelland, which makes for a slightly less sweet, more tobacco-y smoke. Consistent and delicious, it's a great smoke during the warm months.

I frequently see smokers calling this one bland, which I don't get. If you're a Va lover, you're going to love MVF.

Pseudo Nim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pseudo Nim (110)

Found this in a 250g box whilst looking for Golden Glow by the same maker. Like Golden Glow (if it's not the same), I find a superb leaf of broken flake, I broke off a small chunk and part rubbed it out, leaving it to dry for a few hours. The rest remained in the foil bag which I "re sealed" by folding the top and putting it back in it's box. Previous experience tells me that like Golden Glow, I can come back to this time and again over the course of a month and still find a good moisture content.

This splendid golden tobacco, now nicely dried to my preferance, is fully rubbed and lights with a single match, a smooth creamy flavour, slightly sweet and with a touch of saltiness. A very fine "first thing in the morning smoke" or for that matter, come to think of it, an anytime of day smoke.

Medium Virginia Flake seems to alternate between the initial "Smooth Creaminess" followed by the "Sweetness" of the virginia with a little "Saltiness" coming and going. Although MVF is not a complex smoke, I would'nt describe it as monochromatic either. It is what it is, a good, honest, excellent quality virginia, and does'nt pretend to be anything but.

I bought a second 250g box along with this to see what effect a month of "Aging" will have on it. Like Golden Glow, dried out a little, it burns well with only moderate heat in a bulldog, no steam and no bite. For me, this tobacco is a must have.

Appearance and Aroma: This comes in bulk form. It is mostly a medium to light brown blend in a broken flake presentation. Smells like hay but with a slight "Lakeland" scent to it.

Packing and Lighting: I prefer to pack "as is" and just rub a little on top for easier lighting. Lights easily.

Initial Flavor: Like "Best Brown Flake". It has that same "earthiness" that I enjoy, but with a little more "oomph" and is a tad sweeter and brighter.

Mid-Bowl: This is plain delicious!

Bottom of Bowl: I much prefer this blend over FVF because it doesn't have the strong build up of strength of that blend. This builds up nicely, but I don't have to let it go out so that the strength doesn't overwhelm me. Ends with a light, dry, grey ash.

Overall: This has now become a staple VA blend for me. More flavor than BBF, but not the punch of FVF. It does have an occaisonal flavor of the "Lakeland" scenting, but you really have to pay attention to taste it. I like that so it won't get any complaints from me. I look forward to aging some to see what will happen to this stellar VA blend... Meanwhile, go get some now!

Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (127)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is my third most favored tobacco, right behind SG Best Brown and Full Virginia Flake. This a tobacco that for me requires a dedicated pipe. The Virginia tobacco flavor is pure and delicate and is to be enjoyed in small sips. Smoking this tobacco in a pipe in which another tobacco has been smoked will likely mask the flavor of this unique Virginia. I buy it in bulk, rub it out to a ribbon while moist, and allow it to thoroughly dry. I like to start with a bowl of Medium Flake, follow it with a bowl of Best Brown and finish up with FVF while clearing the palate from time to time with a jar of Guinness, exquisite pleasure for us simple folk. Most highly recommended. Paddy.

incognitopoet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
incognitopoet (36)

This is a nice choice for an all-day smoke. It is mellow and well-behaved, full of flavor, and can't be convinced to bite.

It is a utilitarian blend, because I can rub out a flake, load it in a bowl, and carry on with whatever task is at hand.

DrDyson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDyson (129)

I've just tried this Samuel Gawith broken flake for the first time. I'm a bit diffident about reviewing it on so brief an acquaintance; but my first impression is so favourable that I'm going to anyway. I'm quite sure that I shall smoke quite a bit of this in my remaining years (or until it too – like so many favourites – ceases to be).

MVF – I speak as a lover of Virginias and Va/Pers – is one of the finest Lakeland tobaccos I've come across; and I don't say that lightly. It's subtle, certainly: perhaps too subtle for the more demanding palate. You probably have to be in the mood for it, and there will no doubt be times when (say) G & H's Brown Flake or SG's Best Brown Flake will suit your fancy more. But when you just want to relax with a pipeful of something that isn't too taxing, smoke some of this slowly and reflectively in a big bowl. After a gentle start it'll reward you all the way down with a full, sweet, old-fashioned, natural, pure Virginia flavour that gets richer and rounder as you go on: no scents, no casing, no gimmicks – just tobacco. Despite what some people suspect, I'm quite sure there's no artificial flavouring here. MVF reminds me a little bit of Player's Medium Navy Cut.

I think it's worth emphasising, though, that you need a long smoke of this in a large bowl to get the full benefit. A short smoke of MVF would be rather a dull affair. I enjoy it hugely in one of my big Petersons; Klio (cat) likes the room note a lot; SWMBO doesn't dislike it, either.

There's really nothing to dislike about this tobacco. The broken flake packs well, lights well and burns consistently. The nicotine content is (surprisingly) high and, like Virginias in general, it'll burn you if you rush it; so take care. Don't rub out more of it than is necessary to get you well alight, and don't let it get too dry. Subject to these warnings, this is a good choice for the smoker who doesn't like or want a heavy casing. Much enhanced too by DGT. First-rate stuff: in my list of preferences, I would put it second after G & H's Brown Flake. Highly recommended; a possible all-day smoke.

Sailorjack Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sailorjack (57)
Mild to Medium None Detected Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

It's funny this thing we call 'pipe smoking'. How some can wax poetic about a blend and others bemoan it's qualities.

I as of late have gotten away from the heavy latakia blends and have been exploring the world of Virginias and Burleys. This was my first experience with a Gawith product. I was very excited after I found it on sale for a very reasonable $30 for the pound.

The reviews may not have been as glowing as the ones for the Full Virginia Flake but non the less most were still 4==. Well after giving it a try in several different pipes of various sizes, I am thoroughly disappointed. Very bland , weak and boring with none of the Virginia sweetness that I so much love. The only reason that I am giving it 2 is because it doesn't bite and the aroma is okay. I've since used it for blending purposes just to use it up.

I hate having to disagree with so may distinguished members here whose opinions I so greatly respect but it is what it is.

Yep, It's funny this thing we call 'pipe smoking'.

Ranger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ranger (64)

One of the purest Virginias I have had the pleasure of smoking. Maybe the nicest looking tobacco ever. A wonderful, golden, chunky, chewy semi-flake. Very nice aroma and smooth, mild taste for frequent smoking. Doesn't have the depth of other Virginias, but its simplicity is its charm. I love ordering this at least once a year. After smoking this again through the 2005 holiday season, I am updating this to four stars. The slower and softer I puff on this wonderful tobacco, the more flavorful it becomes.

Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

I only based this review on smoking two bowls from a sample. Although the presentation and technical smoking characteristics of this blend were fine, the taste, although sweet, was one-dimensional and weak. At ~ $40/# in bulk, I find much more enjoyment in other VA flakes or VA/Perique flakes that are also cheaper.

L'Italiano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
L'Italiano (170)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

This is not a lighter version of Full Virginia Flake and this is not the bulk version of Golden Glow. This is another thing, completely and totally another thing. Very briefly: FULL VIRGINIA FLAKE is an almost pure straight Virginia; GOLDEN GLOW is a straight Virginia with a mild fruity flavoring, mild but intense; MEDIUM VIRGINIA FLAKE is a Lakeland straight Virginia. Without any doubt this Virginia is flavoured with the classic Lakeland ingredients and it has a classic Lakeland taste (Full Virginia Flake and Golden Glow don’t have this typical taste). In essence this tobacco is not a pure Virginia but a flavored Virginia (straight but flavored). I prefer a pure straight Virginia, such as Dunhill Flake for example, but for the Virginia’ lovers MEDIUM VIRGINIA FLAKE is ideal for a change of pace. To conclude in my personal system rating (from 1 to 10) my score is 7 and two stars.

Big Train Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Train (60)

Slow down , you move too fast ; try to make the morning last . This is good advise for this tobacco . Use as little fire as possible and puff slowly . You will be rewarded with a fine , subtle Virginia taste . This bulk sold tobacco is delivered in sort of a loose brick that can be taken off in strips that need a little rubbing out . The tin note is inviting and the cut and color are as well . Don't pack this too tightly and make a little air hole with a cleaner . Smoke it in a quiet place with no wind . Savor it , don't slurp it down . This is an SG mini masterpiece . I've read that it is the bulk form of Golden Glow but it seems much better , maybe because it's not rubbed out . In any event , this is a tobacco to smoke when you have time to sit back and enjoy a pipe . Relax , spend some time.........................

zhouyongming Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zhouyongming (1)
Extremely Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

谈谈MVF

有一日,正定叔喊我去他家吃茶抽斗,我应帮舍妹搬家,只能不去,只能约定好了暑假去他家坐坐 时光荏苒,白马过隙,到了暑假,便抽了一天时间去他家,一进门,只见一位赤条条的大汉大马金刀的坐在一把交椅上,开口便问,你可是那周家的大郎吗?我答是,后正定叔便拿出一茶,一凳,二盒丝一群斗给我观摩 我坐下来了后便向其请教斗的用法和烟丝的调配,了解到了很多我不为熟知的草。在我们聊天的过程中,正定便让我尝尝传说中99年的MVF,我想了想,便说了句好。这草那上来看了一下,观其色泽黑中现金,闻其香确带着一股豆瓣的味道,然后便开始跑湿柔草。 装好点上火以后便缓吸了一口,顿时有一种香甜的味道往我的舌根和鼻腔那里缓缓流去,这种味道与FVF大相径庭,如果说FVF第一层是甘甜的话那我觉得MVF第一层像是甘甜与密甜的集合体,他并没有像甘甜一样清新确只有一丝丝的甜度也不想蜜甜一样缠在舌尖确又因太浓厚而下不来。 等吸到了中段我觉得风格突然大变,好像一个人从中产阶级一下变成无产革命阶级一样,其味道突然由甜蜜修改成了如石楠狐狸一样迅猛的风格,攻城略地,直入鼻腔。在风格大变的过程中,其香甜度也变少了很多。 到了快尾段时我发现,MVF和FVF的尾段是一样的,同样的奶油味道,在我的口鼻之中迟迟不能散去,如同一位让人魂牵梦绕的大众情人一样,见过一面后她的身影在脑海中迟迟不能散去。可惜这样的大众情人的数量实在是太少了,以至于我很难在市面上发现这款草,也许是这款草的魅力太好了的原因吧 。 这草烟气比较浓厚,入口香甜,可惜我能品出来的层次太少了。 本人抽此草用的是6mm的密苏里小将 I enjoyed this blend very much. There was a vanilla, tobacco aroma that was pleasant to this tobacco upon opening the pouch. It packed well and it burns slow, with vary little if any tongue bite. That said if someone smoked this blend fast I could see them getting a nasty tongue bite. I found this tobacco the most complex I have tried to date The cigar leaf really adds to the finish. This is a full flavored cool smoke, with a hint of vanilla flavor. The vanilla casing was vary slite but tasteful. This blend burns down to a nice grayish white ash and a vary relaxing smoke. there are many flavors In this wonderfully blended tobacco. None over powering the other. The room not

Pipe Used: ??

Age When Smoked: 20

Purchased From: ????

Tobaccy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tobaccy (1)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I had been put off of this blend for a long time simply because of the name. With SG offering so many great full flavored blends why would I want something described medium. Perhaps it's good that they label it as Golden Glow for the tins; it probably helps it to sell.

Anyway, I found this tobaccy to be quite a pleasant surprise. A very sweet aroma hits me when I take a whiff of the unlit tobacco; something like vanilla cake batter. It is a somewhat bright flake, rather like Orlik Slices or MacBaren Virginia Flake though a little looser resulting in fractured, not broken, flakes; I have a half pound bulk so this typical of the packaging.

I broke up a flake and rubbed it out very slightly; I typically fold and stuff but something about this flake told me to rub. Loaded lightly in Group 2-3 size bowl this took to flame quite readily without needing to dry.

This was my first pipe of the day and it fit the bill perfectly. Solid Virginia sweetness without any trace of the cake batter I smelled on the raw tobaccy. Burned cool and steady with rarely a relight necessary; I was working diligently restoring some pipes so the few relights were my fault anyway. The flavor developed slowly and steadily giving hints of tea, straw and a light nuttiness. Never overwhelming, consistently satisfying, it smoked all the way down to the finest of white ash.

Perfect for when you want something just slightly lighter than usual but don't want to sacrifice flavor or quality. This just might become my favorite before breakfast smoke.

More sweet flavor than McClelland 5100 Red Cake, but bites a lot more also. Why smoke it?

Updated 12/4/11- After about 9 months of cellaring, a lot of the heat and bite is out of this. I noticed how damp the tobacco still is and I dried this some before loading the pipe. This seems to have helped . The tobacco is more of a Danish style Virginia than an English, it is lighter, sweeter and grassy hay like in flavor.It does remind me more of McB's Virginia #1 than Dunhill flake and it does have a bitter aftertaste that I don't find in other Virginias. After drying it seems to burn very well at a slow sip, although it does have a rather damp dottle. This is a good Virginia but I won't keep it in my rotation.

PS. After reading reviewer, "Tobaccy", above ,and agreeing with his review, I noticed he said that this was a bulk for "Golden Glow" ( although the curing is diffrent,Flue Cured vs. air cured). Reading the Golden glow reviews, I noticed that some are recommending this as a blender. I can see where I might agree with that.

Updated 12/5/11 A great suprise, the wife actually said the aroma was not bad, WOW. I started to pay a lot closer attention to the scent and I detected a very slight "Lakeland Floral" scent and taste. When I say slight I mean a 1 out of 10, but it's there. I really don't normally care for LF but this is very well done, it does not overtake the natural Virginias.

updated 6/2/12- Nope !!! Don't really care for this,now that I can detect the Lakeland Floral. It also burns hot & bity.

PeterD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PeterD (91)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Like FVF, this flake tobacco is superb! Yes, it is a lighter flake than FVF, but has its own character as well. A little more "earthy" in taste and aroma, yet builds a wonderful smoke from first light to the bottom of the bowl.

One of my top 10, the only wish I have is that I could buy this in plug form. Otherwise, I see no improvement in this tobacco.

Most often smoked in a group 4/5 size bowl, moist, lightly folded, and rubbed slightly. Depending on one's mood, this is an all-day tobacco, for sure.

Excellent with coffee or hot tea! A winner by any standard.

...a pipe is to be savored...

Darth 69 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth 69 (107)
Medium to Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This broken virgina flake seems to bridge the gap in style and character between SG's Best Brown and Full Virgina Flake. Upon opening the tin, the aroma reminded me of some of Rattrays virginas that I tried years ago, slightly fig fruity with another vapor-like element present that I could only seem to liken to perhaps menthol. I suppose it's due to the degree of steam pressing. It has a mild but significant natural sweetness that Best Brown lacks while being noticeably milder in strength on the palate and relatively bite free even for a golden virginia of this type. It smokes slow in it's ready rubbed cake form that I would recommend not to rub out further. Despite it's milder virginia character I found this to be a more full tobacco in nicotine that only allows me to smoke about half a pipe at a time. An excellent virginia that some might find a bit rich as I do.

This is a good Virginia tobacco in bright golden broken flake cut, naturally sweet, mild with some floral and Lakeland note, somehow bland with "metallic" taste that would please some palate no bite, inexpensive and can improve with age.

It is good VA, but not the best of mild Virginias out there, I prefer Mac Baren Va#1 or PSB luxury twist flake