Sterling Balkan 759 is a full and rich tobacco consisting of fine matured Virginias, zesty Oriental leaf and a hearty amount of latakia. It has a character similar to a number of Orientals-forward latakia blends of the past

Notes: Sporting a generous portion of Latakia, F&K's Sterling Balkan is a full bodied English mixture, nonetheless delightfully smooth and cool burning with hints of sweetness.

BrandF & K
Blend TypeBalkan
CutMixture
Strength
Taste
Very Pleasant, Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (177)

This blend shipped very dry in bulk. I ordered 4 oz of it from P&C, and I was quite certain they had send a pound due to how large the bag was. However, this was a result of not having any excess moisture in the product. The aroma is your typical Balkan, bready, and smoky. Some sourness/floral come from the Orientals, but it's very subdued. Packing can be difficult due to the dryness of the tobacco, but once lit it tamps down quite well.

This is a wonderful, all day Balkan that won't tire your senses, or palate. The Virginia's are sweet and bready, and the Oriental condiment lends just a touch of spice. Leaves a bit of a tingle on the palate, but I find it quite enjoyable. This is a great indoor smoke, as the Latakia is subdued to the back of this blend. Paired well with the morning's coffee, and also great with the evening whisky.

Age When Smoked: New?

Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

F & K - Sterling Balkan.

The moisture of my pouch is perfect, with the composition of the blend being two thirds ribbons and one third broken flake. It contains a few yellows, but it's mostly browns: medium and dark.

I expect more of a smoky taste when the description says (as this one does) a hearty amount of Latakia. The Latakia's there, but equalled, if not beaten, by the Oriental's with their sweet and sour vigour. The Latakia doesn't have much of a crude smokiness, it's tamer than that. Sterling burns well, but the smoke can give me a little bite if I strain my puffing.

The nicotine's medium, and I think the room-note's very pleasant.

Sterling Balkan's a good smoke, but not a great smoke:

Three stars.

Pipe Used: Rattrays Six Freinds Oom Paul

Taowhywhy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taowhywhy (12)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

I quite enjoy this, three ingredients played hand in hand together, no particular one outshines each other, quite balance here! I notice some fruit topping which reminds me an aromatic, no, not quite, only a minor topping here! The sweetness of the Virginia forms the tone, along with the smokiness of the jack black Cyprian-Latakia and the mustiness of the Orientals-Turkish is playing its key role, fragrant and in a good balance! Does it live up to the great Balkan blend? I don't have a clue honestly, I never tried that great masterpiece before, but this one is definitely a very good puff!

3.5 out of 4

Pipe Used: Parker London briar billiard Gr3 19*40

Age When Smoked: Only a few weeks

Purchased From: Smokingpipes dot com

Hans and Franz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hans and Franz (5)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

This isn't terrible but it does have some type of fruity, berry sort of addition that I did not appreciate.

I didn't bother finishing the first bowl, and binned the rest. I'm certain this would not have grown on me, as some tobaccos can.

Age When Smoked: Fresh from Smoking Pipes

Similar Blends: not sure.