Christmas cake richness achieved by the addition of maple sugars and rum to make a rewarding tobacco.

BrandE. A. Carey
Manufactured ByE.A. Carey
FlavoringMaple, Rum
Packaging50g Pouch
Mild to Medium, Full
Unnoticeable, Pleasant to Tolerable
Medium Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

E. A. Carey - Rum Flake (Aromatic).

Because this is sold in pouch-form, even though it's badged as a flake the tobacco's started to break up. This is a good point though, it makes it easier to work with. The colour's a little darker than medium brown, the moisture's good, and the rum's easy to notice in the pouch-note.

The flavour from the smoke isn't as 'pure' with rum as I'd expected: the rum accounts for a prominent part of the smoke, but there's also a sort of sticky sugariness present. This makes the smoke very sweet..... a bit too sweet for me! I suspect there's more to this blend than only Virginia: I'm guessing that there's some Burley too, but in all fairness the topping's a bit to heavy to allow easy identification. I find the temperature of the smoke too high if I puff carelessly, so regardless of bite, I sip it gently.

The room-note's pleasant to tolerable, and the nicotine's medium.

This isn't bad, far from it, it just doesn't suit me.

Somewhat recommended.

Two stars.

Pipe Used: Peterson Silver Cap #68

Age When Smoked: Three months

Purchased From: E. A. Carey online

Little Steven Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Little Steven (66)
Medium Strong Full Unnoticeable

Mrs Carey has not been stingey with the spicy rum. I reckon you could wring it out and get a gert big gob of grog.

The baccy needs a bit of airing. The first twenty minutes is like somewhere between G Hogarths Rum Flake and Four Squires. The remainder caramelises as the spiciness dissipates.

Sadly this is somehow an insipid experience. I hesitate to buy this one again. Besides which, I want to try the Dark Twist, I think it's called. Probably more that's more to my liking.

I'm sure Rum Flake is a four star smoke for a lot of people. But I'm knocking one off for being soporific.

Pipe Used: Stanwell billard.

Age When Smoked: Fresh from the pouch.

Purchased From: E A Carey online.

Similar Blends: An amalgamation of G H Rum Flake and Four Squires..