The Black Twist is made up of predominantly dark fired leaf with the addition of a small percentage of dark air cured Indian leaf. Black twist then undergoes a further process of cooking under pressure to turn it into black tobacco.

This cooking process in the Black Twist removes some of the stronger tar and nicotine elements, which produces a less intense smoke than the brown twist but is still has a strong harsh flavor and wouldn't be recommended for the beginner. The black twists are a versatile tobacco of medium thickness used by pipe smokers and chewers.

BrandSamuel Gawith
Blended BySamuel Gawith
CutRope
Packaging25g pouch, Bulk
Strength
Extremely Strong
Taste
Full

quantumboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quantumboy (119)
Very Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

I really like ropes and twists, but I don't like to dry them out before smoking as some recommend. I think the moisture is necessary to get the rich and sometimes "oily" flavor qualities. Yes, it may require several relights during the smoke, but I think that's a small price to pay.

While Black XX has a lot of that "motor oil" quality, the Kendal Twist (very dark brown, but not black) has less, but the flavor is supplanted with a sharp, woodsy, strong flavor that is quite enjoyable. I found it necessary to sip this tobacco, making it even more difficult to keep lit, but it's worth the effort. Cigar lovers will really appreciate this twist with its unadulterated tobacco-in-your-face character.

Yes, the vitamin N is strong. I have a nice quarter-bent Cristiano billiard dedicated to ropes and twists, and a full bowl lasted an hour or so, and it was a good hour. Have some food in your stomach, a big glass of cold water at hand, and enjoy the sounds of the evening on the back porch (you won't earn points with your family if you smoke this indoors).

I only smoke strong baccies like this once every couple weeks or so but I always want some around when it's time to really unwind. The fourth star is lacking simply because of the monotone nature of the flavor. It's an excellent smoke and highly recommended for those who simply want a back-to-basics strong tobacco experience.

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Extremely Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

As the note above states, there are two versions of this twisted tobacco, a BROWN-coloured twist, flavoured, and a BLACK-coloured twist, UNflavoured. I am not sure why they ought not constitute two separate entries in TobaccoReviews.com.

This is a review of Kendal BLACK, the UNflavoured twist.

I purchased this bulk, from the Lexington Ave Barclay-Rex. In the 5X5 polyethylene bag in which it was conveyed to me, it looked exactly like a typical dog's turd. Almost-black brown, shiny and oily, with a leather-like smell. I cut two slices, nickel-like, [like an old shilling] with a sharp pocket knife, and undid them by rubbing lightly between my fingertips. I let them air out for a few minutes. It filled a meerschaum relatively loosely, needing several lights.

The first impression was cigar-like, dark and leathery, with a slight spiciness that tickled my throat. It settled down to a smooth sweetness that called freshly-baked pumpernickel bread to mind.

As an occasional cigar smoker?I love Hoyo de Monterrey corona maduros?I did not find this particularly overwhelming. But let us not overdo the cigar analogy: there IS a kind of bloated, smoldering intensity to this twist that is quite unlike any cigar I have smoked; the flavour may be smooth and velvety, but there is a hidden punch somewhere that you can suspect in the darkness. I was not caught by it because I smoked a moderate amount, VERY SLOWLY. But I suspect that if you hyperventilate with this baby, you could make yourself very, very nauseous. I put down my pipe just in time: I had the beginnings of an interesting buzz, but I didn't push my luck even by a hair. A note of warning to nervous puffers and/or lovers of huge pipes, filled to the rim.

I smoked this after a hearty supper, whilst sipping a glass of Irish whiskey, which I normally drink neat, chasing it, every-so-often, with water. Under such conditions, this twist seemed delicious and hugely different. It certainly complemented the whiskey beautifully. But I would call it the very opposite of an "all-day smoke"!

Relapse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Relapse (14)
Extremely Strong None Detected Full Strong

My 25 gram sample came in a polyethilene bag that a Mexico City tobacconist who is the importer for the Samuel Gawith line, gave to me (my guess is they couln't even give it away). I forgot it in my tobacco closet for three or four years.

Today I decided to try it and, on opening the bag, I wondered if it was really tobacco or something that one removes from the sidewalk while walking the dog.

Following a recommendation given here, I sliced it into thin coins and then rubbed it into very fine flakes.

After all these years it was fairly dry and it lighted easily. Still it doesn't keep alight on its own unless attended. It demands a calm smoke and a soothing beverage. Thinking of my tongue I chose a Lapsang Soochong tea instead of a single malt.

The taste is full and not completely unpleasant, although it's not something that I'll be smoking regularly. There are earthy and leather notes, among a bitter-lemon tang. The famed VA sweetnes is nowhere to be found. The after-taste is lingering and goes for the throat. Some tasty and soothing beverage is definetely a must.

Mrs. Nicco Tin comes on with a vengeance and left me with a vivid memory of my first cigarrette, stolen from my dad 55 years ago; nauseated and green. The jitters took half an hour to subside.

Definitely not recommended as anything else than an unforgettable experience!

Scamp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Scamp (20)
Strong Mild to Medium Full Tolerable

This stuff smells great when you smell it in the pouch. Almost smells like turkish delight. The best way I've found to smoke it, is to chop it into coins and then shred those, to get it as close to a shag-like cut as possible, (a little drying time wouldn't hurt as it is quite moist). Then pack it into a not too large bowled pipe; I found this to be quite a strong smoke for an aromatic, although it does taste nice, with some of the 'tin note' characteristics carrying through to the smoke. It smokes well and burns down to a fine ash. All in all, quite a pleasant smoke, I think I will be purchasing some more of this particular blend in the not too distant future. Not too sure if I'll venture for the Brown Bogie though, this one's quite strong enough for me.

kg0mz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kg0mz (54)

This came labeled SG #4 Finest Kendal Twist from Smokingpipes.com. It is wrapped in a gorgeous brown leaf with a darker core. The twist is soft and very pliable like the smaller Gawith Hoggarth Brown Bogie, not dense as with the GH large brown twists or the Samuel Gawith black twists. It is velvety and not overly moist. The aroma is pleasantly sweet and rich. It takes a match and burns cool and dry, as twists are known to do. This is unflavored and yet as sweet, but not as bold as the GH Rum Twist which is also brown. Tamer still than Brown Bogie. Maybe I detect an ever so fleeting hint of the grilled meat flavor of the SG Black XX or GH Black Irish Twist. Mild as ropes go, this tastes naturally sweet with a wee bit of sea salt as in the Bogie. The flavors are layered, and just when I think I have identified one or other it conjures up something new and mysterious. It is creamy-like as in Kendal Cream Deluxe without the added essence. Most twists are very sturdy and monolithic. This one is uncharacteristically complex. There is something like a burley nuttiness and a cavendish soft, soothing texture that makes this twist ever so docile. Then too, it has excellent burning characteristics that results in a dark gray ash. If you are wary of tobacco in this format having been told it can blow away the top of your noggin, then this serves as a pleasant entry into the world of the twist. A twist with anti-twist qualities. A modicum of nicotine. A kinder, gentler forgiving twist.