BrandLevin Pipes International
Taste
Very Pleasant, Pleasant, Tolerable
3.7
Mild None Detected Mild Very Pleasant

Klenderwood was always a favorite of mine in the Levin line-up, but I was only able to obtain a few tins as production was, I think, just a one time run in the early 1990s. Super rich and spicy Oriental leaf combined with a little Latakia (and maybe Virginia), to offer a very cool and satisfying smoke. There was a vast amount of Oriental leaf in this one and it was milder than most of the Levin offerings of this type. Still, I was so in love with the flavor that I overlooked the mildness of the smoke and made myself puff slowly to savor every nuance.

Picked up a tin from 1993 for very little coin, as this is one of the LPI/McClelland offerings I missed when they first came out. The color was mostly dark but interspersed with light flecks. Tin nose was light latakia and a huge amount of orientals. I'm not used to orientals smelling strong, so I'm assuming the potency was from the merger with latakia.

Oddly enough, this was touted as a substitute for Dunhill 965. No brown Cavendish here, and the latakia is just too light for that. The Virginias are of the bright variety, but are mostly overshadowed by the latakia (also light) and the orientals. I'd have to go back through the McClellands lat blends I've smoked over the years to determine if this one was reintroduced under another name, but its flavor doesn't scream of another entry. Still it's kind of ordinary. Good tasting, though, with the orientals taking center stage throughout and mixing with just enough latakia to make the orientals come alive. The bright Virginia is a nice base and adds just a hair of sweetness and body. There was none of the signature McClellands fermented sileage here. In fact, if I didn't know this was a McClellands blend, I wouldn't figure it out by accident. I think that may be why this hasn't made a comeback like so many of the other old LPI blends. It's certainly a fine blend, but nothing I feel the need to come back to again.

jvnshr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jvnshr (23)

Smoking Levin Pipes Klenderwood is like drinking Raki (prepared from anise) in an old Turkish tavern until the anise flavor is absorbed by your whole body. Highly Recommended to Oriental lovers.