A Plug which starts as the Best Brown, blended and pressed Virginias and nothing else. Medium strength. Firm favourite for the pipe smoker looking for a medium strength, gentle and slow burning tobacco. Manufactured using hand-stripped flue cured Virginias with no flavours added, Kendal Plug will reward with a cool, sweet smoke with a delectable aroma and good sidestream.

BrandSamuel Gawith
Blended BySamuel Gawith
CutPlug
Strength
Taste

3.4
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Pleasant

I think its the masterexample how good a pure Virginia can taste. IMO even better than FVF.

round about 10 years ago there were a little problems for the supply of Zimbawe Virginie - but not for long time.

I smoke it fresh and aged. Fresh is very good in hot summer. And aged always. It needs no aging. Its a masterpiece at it is.

Pipe Used: many

Age When Smoked: 1 - 10

Purchased From: bulk

Similar Blends: just a bit SG FVF and Best Brown.

ajaj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ajaj (69)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Kendal Plug is the touted as the plug version of Best Brown Flake. However, as with most plug vs. flaked vs. ready rubbed versions of the same recipe, there are differences. KP has a more round flavor than BBF and is a little ness nippy on the tongue. It's deeper and more "mature", but lacks the bright grassy notes I enjoy. I recommend KP and BBF to any virgina smoker. Thank you Samuel Gawith for KP, BBF, FVF, 1792, and Brown Rope #4, the best tobaccos in the world!

SteveH Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SteveH (28)

I love Best Brown Flake, so I expected to like this, and wasn't disappointed. Like all plugs, it takes a fair bit of preparation, slicing and then rubbing, and it needs to be fully rubbed out to give a satisfactory smoke. The trick is to slice it as thinly as possible. It comes as a mid-brown, rectangular bar, which smells of leather. The taste is BBF, but a bit more so: all BBF's characteristics, but slightly intensified. It has BBF's slight earthiness, and is medium-bodied and slightly spicy, with a hint of treacle (although it isn't particularly sweet). Very good indeed.

Pipe Used: Northern Briars Lovat, Blakemar Rhodesian.

Purchased From: S.G. stall at meeting of Pipe Club of London

Similar Blends: Best Brown Flake.

TLW Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TLW (1)

Kendal plug is Gawith's Best Brown Flake only not yet sliced into flakes. This means you have to slice it up for yourself. In exchange for this slight inconvenience you get a tobacco that is more consistent than BBF. It's also denser-pressed than BBF and supplied much less moist.

Personally I slice it, rub it out and let it dry a bit, which is the traditional English way to smoke plugs (or flakes - roll and stuff or cubing are new-fangled concepts, plugs were invented so you could store/carry a lot of tobacco in a small space and it would keep well).

Kendal Plug, like BBF is completely unflavoured apart from a slight sugar/water casing like almost every tobacco on the market. People complaining of toppings and perfumes need to speak to their tobacconist because they were either supplied the wrong thing, it was stored next to something strongly flavoured or in a ghosted jar.

Flavour and strength is medium for Commonwealth (African) Virginias, this being possibly the classic example of the genre. If you like unscented Virginias with a bit of depth to them but also with the higher notes missing from the longer-stoved tobaccos such as FVF you really should try this. With aging it just gets better and better. Personally I rate it higher than FVF or Orlik.

Overall an excellent all-day tobacco.

Similar Blends: Samuel Gawith Best Brown Flake..

quantumboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quantumboy (119)

It doesn't get too cold here in Louisiana, but last night was close to freezing. This morning the air was cool and crisp, and I was able to enjoy a morning smoke on the back porch, a rare event with my insane schedule. Accompanying my pipe was a mug of Indonesian bean from Stumptown coffee roasters from Portland, Oregon (highly recommended).

The Kendal Plug I recently received from Byron Oost's store had already been transformed into a cube cut the night before so I was ready. I filled my favorite little Virginia pipe, compressed it a bit, and gave it three or four char lights to get an ember glowing. I was surprised by how mild this blend is. Maybe that's why BBF (Kendal Plug after getting sliced into flakes) was never in my top rotation. I never smoked it in the morning!

This tobacco seems to do best with a clean morning palate (not an evening mouth that has been corrupted by garlic or pork roast) and time to contemplate. Sweet, mild, slightly toasty at times, consistent all the way to the bottom, a totally pleasing, wonderful experience. Can't believe it took me this long to try Kendal Plug! By all means, grab some if you can.

Talk about a blast from the past. I imagine that if I traveled back through time and had a pipe with a fellow in the 1700's this might be the same brick that he pulls out. The guy who I bought this from at the tobaccanist had such a hard time cutting up the bricks that he just gave me about 5 ounces for the price of one. Let me tell you- this led to a few doubts on my part. I got home and pulled out a scroll saw and set to work. After some rehydration I tried it out and found it to be very pleasant in a peasant (as in a medieval village) sort of way. The other reviewers are right. This doesn't have half the complexity or developed flavors of some other Virginias out there, but then that is most of its charm. It is simple and good, sort of like homemade bread. Beware however- The charm does wear off, and you are left with a somewhat monochromatic smoke.

Darwin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darwin (101)

Kendal Plug is one of the best tobaccos I've ever smoked. It's sweet and tasty with just the right amount of everything. The burn is slow and consistent. Once sliced from the plug, it needs little attention. Just light-up and sit back and enjoy a perfect blend of Virginia tobaccos that taste like they have been aged for decades. Kendal Plug has all the good qualities of a rope, without the cigar taste and overwhelming nicotine content. Sadly, it burns to a fine gray ash, but just slice off some more and stuff it into another pipe. An all-day smoke or an occasional special treat, this could be the best tobacco product ever made.

I suspect its composed of African and Brazilian Virginias. I don't taste any burley or perique, but it's still wonderfully complex due to the Virginias. It can be sharp upon lighting, but settles in so quickly it doesn't matter. I have a leather tongue from slow smoking McClelland Virginias for years, but I don't believe this one will bite you sensitive tongued smokers either.

Highly recommended for Virginia smokers looking for the "Holy Grail". Kendal Plug is to tobacco, what espresso is to coffee.

wosbald Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wosbald (111)

This hard-pressed plug smells of a basic and wholesome earthy sweetness.

Judging by the muted colors as well as the taste, this is a well-aged virginia, seemingly composed solely of brights, with a very rich and cane-sugary character, though somewhat lacking in complex ferment. The flavor is broad and expansive.

Kendal Plug is a very fine and patricianly aged cake, though Best Brown may be an easier way to enjoy this blend, unless the price differential is sufficiently attractive. This was best in narrow gauge chambers.

chaplikc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chaplikc (135)

My sample was gifted to me from Kilmarnock piper, Thanks! I absolutely love this plug! It is dense as a brick and takes a little time to prepare but it is well worth it! The virginias in this blend are smooth, dark, smokey and delicous! The burn is fairly cool but can be pushed to bite if puffed VERY aggresively. I know 1st hand, I enjoyed the vlavor of this blend so much that I had to consciously slow my rythym. If only I could find some more of this!

rramstad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rramstad (115)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

I smoked this first, and then later smoked some Best Brown Flake in the same pipe. I did get a bit of tongue bite from this, on a scale from 0 to 10, with 10 being Coniston Cut Plug or MacBaren Virginia #1 i.e. light tobacco that really bites me, I rate this a three. I did a very rough cube cut and then smoked it slowly in a fairly wide bowl. It is definitely fuller in taste than BBF, and also richer, more creamy. I liked the taste profile more. It's possible that because the smoke is more filling, I drew less, and it bit less as a result. Nice stuff, even with the bit of bite.

hagen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hagen (91)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

UPDATE: the review below is about 1.5 years old. it no longer fits kendal plug, which is now vile stuff: stoved to oblivion, a flavour of some additive, a little sweetness, tar. it is very very sad :-( END UPDATE.

some will find this tobacco difficult to slice, load, light and keep burning. so do i, but in spite of all that trouble, the reward in full, clean, sweet virginia taste more than compensates. and yes, it's clean. no soap here, no sweetener, no additives, no nothing but real tobacco, leaving a delightful after taste lingering in your mouth. as i said, it can be quite difficult to handle, but one in four pipefull is pure tobacco nirvana!

it is said to be exactly the same tobacco as "best brown flake". that may be, but it's got a deeper, more velvety mouth feel which is more akin to "full virginia flake".

a winner, and a favourite.

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

Marlin Flake's duller, hotter, country cousin. Who needs it?

Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Description says that it starts as BBF - I wonder if that means it's supposed to be the same thing, but in plug form? As BBF is a firm favorite, I found this one less so. Lighter colored plug with a nice bag aroma of virginia. Smoked from a new one ounce sample.

I cut this into cubes for smoking, as it didn't seem to work well for me any other way. I found it mildly tangy with a complex sweetness, but not the equal of BBF. Curious. It seemed to have the same depth, but something was missing. Naturally, I'm out of BBF so I couldn't do a comparison, and memory becomes habitually faulty over time. But this seemed more grassy as opposed to the lightly sweet oatmeal of BBF. But for all I know this is the same stuff and I'm imagining things! This is a very worthy blend that possesses a light natural sweetness, good complexity and an easy burn when cubed. Definitely deserving of a try.

Well, this is a nice little Virginia plug. I bought it along with Cannon plug, which is a different animal entirely-see my review and others. This is not at all like some of Gawith's stronger offerings, as it is mild and mellow to smoke and forgives heavy puffing. I can kick this dog as hard as I like and still it will not bite me. No subtle overtones of flavor here, just pure natural Virginia with its fermented hints of dried fruit, but these hints are subdued with this plug. This is a real quality plug for a great price, about 10-11 dollars for 4 oz, and the retailer gave me extra! I'm thanking my lucky Mars (I mean stars). I don't have preparation of this plug down to a science yet, even though I have some experience with plugs. You really have to slice it thin and dry it or rub it out or burning it will be really hard! 1-11-10 Well, no harder to prepare than any other plug. Damn, this stuff is good! The tastes at the bottom of the bowl are indescribable. I will probably make this my next pound.

Chris08 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Chris08 (37)

Wow! This was my first experience with Plug tobacco and I am impressed.

Much is made of how flake tobacco allows the smoker to control the smoking experience. Well, plug tobacco adds to that tenfold. This tobacco is likely best left to seasoned smokers, as newbies may have trouble balancing how to break it up into a size that allows them to keep it lit.

I ordered an 8oz portion of this densely pressed plug from 4Noggins, with high expectations and nervous anticipation. The presentation and novelty effect of this tobacco is amazing. It offers smokers and non smokers alike the chance to pick up and feel the tobacco, smell it and enjoy the aesthetics.

I cut a flake of this tobacco off using a sharp knife and wooden cutting board. The plug was harder than I expected and made up of larger portions of leaf. After slicing an adequate portion into small pieces with the knife, I rubbed it out well and stuffed it into my favourite flake pipe.

I found it a little hard to light initially, but once I learned to pack the smallest bits on top, I was okay from then on. Having figured this out, I was well rewarded with a medium bodied Virginia smoke, of about the same sweetness as best brown. Due to the denseness of the plug-this didn't rub out as easliy as best brown, however. Once lit, however, this provided such a slow smoke that it was amazing. Truly a unique smoking experience.

I would recommend a plug to any well seasoned smoker. This one certainly for lovers of medium Virginia's. I don't know if there's plug version of Full Virginia Flake, but if the folks at Samuel Gawith are listening-I'm ready to make an order!

My next order of this tobacco will be for 1 lb. I am curious about the other plugs in the Samuel Gawith line, but most seem to be aromatic, so I expect that this is the one that best suits me.

mcbpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mcbpipe (11)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

I smoke this regularly, I prefer it to the flake, it is similar but I enjoy the preparation & also have more control of the thickness etc & therefore the burn I find a grassy, new mown hay sense to the tin aroma & indeed in the flavour with a touch of sweetness. I like the roomnote but my wife accuses me of having gone back to ciggies. Overall I love this tobac & always have it on hand.It is my standard virginia.

JohnnyO Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyO (7)

Lightly colored, beautiful plug. A bit hard to cut, but not as hard as Cob Plug. I like to rub out the flakes I cut though I plan to master smoking rolled flakes...so far that doesn't work for me. Excellent virginia taste, sweet and natural. This burns cleanly and smoothly and almost seems to become creamy throughout the smoke. If you enjoy virginia tobaccos and don't mind doing your own slicing, this is highly recommended. It's not as strong as one would think, nor is it harsh or overpowering. It is surprisingly smooth and mild-medium in strength and flavor, I would call it an excellent starter plug to those wanting to dive into plugs without getting a huge nicotine kick in the butt.

NapaWineLover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NapaWineLover (66)

Kendal Plug, for me, is Nirvana. This VA has made it to the very top of my VA list. A daily and all day smoke if ever there was one. That isn't to say that I the other VA's that I have enjoyed and still enjoy go down a notch - but this is in the 5 Star category for me.

There also seems to be some confusion under this tobacco's comments. Kendal Plug is not scented tobacco. I fear that those that wrote reviews here attributing the Lakeland scent soapy floral were either mistaking SG-KP for another tobacco - or their tobacconist slipped them the wrong one. In either case, KP doesn't reveal even the slightest hint of flavoring except the distant innuendo of cocoa and a most richly rewarding and unusually velvety VA sweet nuttiness.

Generally for me, I slice a flake width-sized plug and then slice a few days worth from that diminutive plug into flakes. My preference is to lightly rub out the flakes. The moisture content is a personal choice. I don't spend too much time drying or airing out as I do with many other tobaccos.

After a char light or two this fine VA goes right into the zone and continues to almost the last puff. It also isn't finicky like many other VA's that I also enjoy. I've yet to come up with a bad combination of packing, pipe or rubbing - with one exception. Since KP comes in a plug and retains its moisture very well in long term storage - I refrain from packing this tight. Just normal packing for me works best. Lightly tamping the ash only throughout the smoke a little more frequently keeps it burning cool and flavorful. Speaking of flavor - IMO this is the tastiest most well-behaved VA that I have ever enjoyed. And, while I also enjoy Oriental blends with and without Latakia too, this straight VA would be my desert aisle smoke, if I were forced to choose. It is one of the few tobaccos that I can smoke in succession without wishing for a change of pace. It is always satisfying and while I still have ample supplies of other VAs - I have more VA pipes devoted to KP than any other.

I find this to be unusually smooth, nutty sweet and surprisingly tasty even though its more homogeneous than complex. While I'm a fan of Lakeland flakes - this has none of the SG trademark scents. While I am under the impression that this is the plug form of SG Best Brown - I find this to be, darker, richer and more flavorful.

Also, I found that this does not require any special smoking technique in order to be thoroughly enjoyable. It doesn't mind a little aggression. It also is perfectly fine if you pick up a pipe half-smoked an hour or a day past which leads me to believe that the PH of this smoke is most ideal. This tobacco has NO bite, and because it burns so well and cleanly, it is a great pipe to coax the residual flavor from pipes that may have dedicated to topped flakes such as Ennerdale Flake or Grousemoor Plug that I also enjoy on occasion. Kendal Plug, however, as far as I have discerned, has no flavoring whatsoever that doesn't occur naturally in this blend of VA's.

Black Dog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Black Dog (25)

Kendal Plug is one of my main VA tobaccos. I like the depth of flavor KP achieves during the mid through the end of the bowl. I enjoy messing around with plugs, which is part of my liking of Kendal Plug. I cut a thin slice from the block, rub it out, and let it sit for a while to dry before smoking. I agree with the other reviewers who comment that KP is difficult to light. I find it takes a number of re-lights during the course of a bowl. There are times when I wish KP had a sweeter top note, like Old Gowrie. But overall, KP is an excellent VA, and if you like plugs, this is one you really should try.

Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

This tobacco may scare at first sight: dark, compact, moist and musty. Actually, smoking it can reveal many surprises. It isn't "dark" in taste, quite the opposite: it's fresh, fruity, delicate and can be an all-day smoke. At a glance it can be seen as the Cob plug twin, but as brutal the Cob, as harmonic the Kendal. A real marvel.

bigblends Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bigblends (46)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I wish this stuff were readily available in the USA!

Kendal Plug is all natural tobacco -- no flavorings, casings, etc. It's honest, straightforward, rich, and satisfying. I'm able to smoke bowl after bowl with great interest.

The plug presentation is fantastic, as it gives great insight into Gawith's mastery of tobacco processing. The tightly pressed layers are fun to peel apart, but I found I enjoyed using scissors to slice narrow strips from the whole plug, then rub the cuttings out for the smoke. Fantastic. I tried smoking flake-sized slices, cube cuts, rubbed ribbons, and a myriad other formats and found the smoke to be consistent and wonderful.

Some may disregard this tobacco as dull, basic, or monochromatic. Not so -- and besides, the greatest pleasures can be derived from even the simplest things. This tobacco has a complexity and depth all its own, and while it's obviously more tame than some other equally fantastic VAs, it's in its own league. This ranks right up there for me with Gawith's Full VA Flake.

If you must buy this from an overseas vendor, do yourself the favor and buy in bulk. If you find it's not your thing, send it all to me!

Henry B Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Henry B (11)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This plug is strong and spicy ! There is also a certain mustiness in the taste. This tobacco might not be popular with some VA lovers, who rather prefer a smooth and sweet taste like Rattray's Marlin Flake e.g.. It is absolutely non-aromatic and has a delicate peppery component, which I learned to appreciate very much.

I do love it, and it is fun to prepare the plug for smoking. I try to chop this up as fine as I can. The best method for me is to cut off slices, which are then cut into small cubes.

It's a keeper, and I will certainly order more of it, when all of my samples have been turned to ash.

Inquisitor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Inquisitor (155)
Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

(from blind tobacco review)

Sample #1 (Christopher)

Appearance: This is a VERY cool looking plug (i.e. domino-shaped & sized) tobacco. The density makes you realize just how much pressure was used in the plug's preparation, which I assume was done by putting whole leaves on top of each other). The tobacco maintained enough moisture to be flexible, but I let it dry out for a few hours as I prefer a drier consistency. A visually stunning cross-section of striated light (~10%), medium-brown (~45%) & dark/black (~45%) leaf made me hate to break it up, but somehow I managed.

Tin Aroma: My nose is greeted with a pleasantly-musty, hay-like aroma that I associate with steamed-cured Virginias from the Lakeland District, and a refreshing, naturally sweet touch of zestiness.

First Smoke: Having never smoked a tobacco in this form, I peeled off a few layers in ¼? pieces, which looked kind of like fish scales. I loaded up a new Corn Cob ?Millennium? Edition poker (okay, so I made up a name; big deal!) and applied fire. I started this smoke on a clear day, around 32F, just after a decent snow fall. The air was clean and fresh, with a moderate breeze. There is some danger of a sting here, and some initial back-of-the-throat irritation. This is a moderately strong tobacco, with a pepperiness that is very pleasant, similar to Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake.

Once at a smolder, however, the tobacco settles down very nicely. The sting moderates into a lively, apricot-like zest, which I don?t often find in non-New World Virginias. The pepperiness also moderates, but leaves a pleasantly-sharp leading edge (of the extra-sharp cheddar variety). This edge rolls smoothly into a richer, toastier mid-range. While the finish trails off a bit, the room aroma seems to fill some of the flavor loss, quite uncommon.

I stopped smoking at the half-bowl mark to let DGT do its work. Four hours later I was re-lighting on my front porch, where picked up the pipe again about 4 hours later, on our screened-in front porch. If I didn?t quite hit ?the zone?, I came close via ?breath-smoking?, ?sipping? the smoke, and using my ?open? smoking technique. The ?treble? range unfolded serenely with nuances of browned (not burnt) marshmallow, a light mushroom-mustiness and a baking-bread aroma joining the apricot zest. These flavors evolved, picking up a burnt-leaf smokiness that nicely contrasted with a baked cookies aroma in the middle-upper range. The strength of the blend increased as well, but overlaid a caramel ?feel? and (hint of) flavor.

Subsequent Smokes: I smoked sample #1 twice more: Near-pulverized (coffee grinder) in my Savinelli Oscar 814KS Canadian, and in 1/8? cross-cut pieces in a Comoy Grand Slam Bulldog. The Savinelli emphasized the middle and bass ranges of this sample, eliciting medium-full caramel, and cigar/ground coffee bean, notes, respectively. The lower range isn?t heavy, but it is rich, satisfying and creamy.

The Comoy was similar to the corn cob pipe. By luck, it emphasized the lower treble range and the mid-range. The mid-level is less complex than the top range, but has the fragrant burned marshmallow, caramel, and toasty-sweet melange that, to me, is elemental to a good Virginia blend; plus a well-integrated mushroom-musty flavor flowing from the top range.. Slightly before the mid-bowl mark, hints of white chocolate and walnut develop in the mid-range and remain throughout the smoke. The strength increases gradually but consistently, but is shadowed by a complementary ?[[]?late-blooming brown sugar component in the lower register. In this and the other pipes, this burned completely to a clean white ash, a somewhat infrequent experience for me.

Summary: Sample #1 started out a bit harsh and potentially bitey in all pipes, but settled in very quickly. DGT worked very well. While it smokes easily under many conditions, breath-smoking will reveal much more. The choice of pipe seems to have a significant effect on the smoking experience. The top range had a very nice interplay and evolution of flavors as the bowl burned down. As a Virginia fan, the zestiness fell into my category two (cat. 1 being bright lemon zesty), i.e. non-citrus type (here, apricot), producing a sparkly butterscotch ?feel? and richness, in a way similar to Ashton Brindle Flake. The sweet toasty mustiness (like slightly-burned marshmallows) in the mid-range, and a rich brown sugar bass range nicely enhance and complement each other and the top range. Sample #1 has some complexity, though it isn?t in the Cairo-class, and it doesn?t have an ?obvious? lower range flavor, but it is a wonderfully satisfying medium Virginia, without any heaviness about it.

I will definitely buy this tobacco, probably in decent qualities, to store and smoke. I am pleased to give it an 92 out of 100.

(Post-Logue: I bought a pound of this. It is the plug version of Samuel Gawith's Best Brown Flake - all of the good parts with greater consistency.)

Paul Tatum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paul Tatum (86)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant

This is a tasty tobacco . I think for me one of the pleasurable parts of this tobacco is the preperation . It comes in a block and needs to be cut into flakes . I use scissors to cut flakes from the block , then I cut the flakes cross wise to make a cube cut , then rub it fluffy and smoke . It smokes a long time and is very tasty indeed . A pleasant change from my usual latakia diet .

incognitopoet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
incognitopoet (22)
Extremely Mild None Detected Full Pleasant

This is the same tobacco as my beloved Best Brown Flake, but the smoking experience is a little different. I don't reach for this plug if I am in a hurry.

As with all SG tobaccos this plug required quite a bit of drying. Once dry, I kind of pick it apart until I have a little pile of 1 cm squares that are between 1 and maybe 5 leaves thick.

The leaves pack into the bowl easily, and a couple of lights later the bowl is ready to smoulder lazily for a long time without much tending.

To me, the smoke is a lot sweeter than Best Brown Flake, and it burns quite a bit cooler.

Outstanding tobacco, delicious, and reliable. It is just a really good clean honest smoke.

Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

Sam Gawith Kendal Plug . Like all plug Tobaccos , if you don't like to spend time on preparation then this won't be for you ! But if you are not fussed about dedicating a little while to the prep' then this will be a satisfying choice . The actual plug of Tobacco is mainly a medium Brown with a few lighter/Yellow layers as well . The aroma is a straight forward Virginia one , a touch Grassy/Hay like . To be fair , it is just a smidgen on the damper side , it won't need lots of airing , just a couple of hours or so . As I mentioned earlier , Plugs require some pertinacious prep' , this is no different but the prep' is no where near as difficult as some plugs can be . The plug is extremely non-demanding at first , it is very easy to peel the Tobacco off in thin sheets and then it just takes a little time to cut/rip them into smokeable pieces . Providing that it has been prepared to a good consistency it is relatively easy to ignite , I always use my "Jet" lighter for plugs and this one isn't to bad . O.K , it needs a few good blasts to begin but once it is burning it is quite consistent once it has been tamped correctly . The flavour really is a remuneration for the hard prep' time , I get no underlying tastes , what I get is 100% Virginia ! The smoke temperature is pretty much as medium as I have had but sadly if I draw a little too hard I get a small bite from it , not massive but more of a "nip" as if to keep my attention ! Vitamin N ? Absolutely great , not strong , not weak but just enough to satiate . The Room-Note is (again) a standard Virginia one but what I find a plus is this , yes it is a very full Virginia one but the consistency isn't overly thick . I am not a huge fan of plug Tobaccos , I admit that I am too lazy but the flavour of Kendal plug more than justifies the hard work , it's just a shame it doesn't prepare itself !!

Pipe Used: Peterson

Purchased From: G.Q Tobaccos

tomspeed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tomspeed (22)
Medium Extremely Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

Another Lovely Pure 5 Star Tobacco from great company. I love all Samuel Gawith Tobaccos slow burning tasty plug. Highly Recommended

Casper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Casper (22)

I'm trying four ozs of this as I enjoyed cob plug so much, (ie, I like the form of true brick plugs). As mentioned by Talon below this is a brick...not a broken flake; and though many have lamented the knife ceremonies involved, I, being lazy, opted for a Black and Decker mini coffee grinder with pulse control, ($20 anywhere coffee grinders are sold). Rip off a chunk, shove her in and grind, grind, grind to your desired consistency. It's sweet to be sure but in a true Va sense. I'll be getting more. Three stars is due to cob plug being a little better, (albeit different), to my palate.

Meerschaum Man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Meerschaum Man (85)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

There's not much I can add to what's already been posted on this Tobak... I do recommend that you Cube Cut the Slices. Reasonably priced, it offers pre-smoke entertainment and a wonderful smoke that evolves quite nicely! What fun!

Meerschaum Man, smoking the Paul Fischer Rusticated Bent Bulldog Meerschaum.

Lord Byron Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lord Byron (11)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

Kendal Plug is one great tasting tobacco. There are wonderful subtleties to be discovered about this tobacco if one is patient in preparing and smokes slowly. Among the SG line its right there with FVF. In fact, this to me tastes more like FVF in the zone than BBF which the description says it starts as. I have found that cutting shavings length ways about one inch to an inch and a half long produces little thin curled flakes that pack nicely and produce the best flavor. Pack lightly, rub one out for the final pack and you are gtg. It takes a little time to do this but I find it worth the effort. Smoking KP works better in a larger bowl where the true flavors come through. This tobacco quickly settles upon lighting into a zone of sweetness. It?s quite remarkable because there is no wait for the zone on this one. It?s a pure bright virginia sweetness that has a toasty quality to it. I would equate it to ?honey baked? sweetness and it dominates the entire smoke. There is a background fruity tartness that occurs as well which mingles with the burley and keeps things interesting. It produces a very nice room note and the smoke itself is smooth, creamy and in high volume. The nicotine content I find to be on the low side of medium. As mentioned by others KP is a one dimensional smoke, to be sure, that does not develop much. To me that?s its advantage, its right in the pocket. It?s good from start to finish with no surprises?simple and very tasty. The only drawback to me is that KP can irritate my mouth (roof) if smoked too frequently. This tells me that it is in fact BBF because it does the same thing to me. Depending on moisture content it can nip on the tongue too (which really reminds me of BBF). I think Pipestud mentioned something about body chemistry and Lakeland flakes?he?s definitely on to something. Neither of these factors will keep KP out of my Lakeland rotation though. Disciplined moderation will be the ticket. I highly recommend KP to any lover of virginias and any serious pipe smoker, I consider myself to be both. Sharp knife...happy slicing?incredible smoke.

Talonr1701 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Talonr1701 (119)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I received a sample of this from P&C. Really I got it on a fluke On first glance this was not a broken flake as listed here, but a brick-difficult to break up, sticky like Molasses-yet smelled kinda nice. I broke a chunk off, and for lack of a better idea, ran it through a hand cranked nut chopper. Then left it out for a few hours to dry. When it seemed a bit drier, I lightly packed it in a Ser Jac Bent bulldog and sat down to play a quick game on my laptop.

On the char light- my game was forgotten. On came the nice sweet hay smell I so love about a good Virginia. Like new grass in a country field. Yet, this was much sweeter than any other I had tried prev. A nutty sweetness like honey roast walnuts. Rich like Mead on a fall day, strength is med to strong, and no bite. I was never one to believe there was a blend out there that come demand a daily position, But where has this blend been all my life!?

Did I really just say that?. I have smoked at least two bowls of this everyday since I got it. I received my first lb today in the mail. I bears noting that I have NEVER purchased a lb of ANY blend until this one. I jarred all but about 2 oz. When the 2 oz's nears the end, I shall order another lb and do it again. I can't imagine not having this around.

Now I'm not saying this is the only blend I shall smoke. But keep you eyes open, cause I will be lightening the cellar to make some room. Can't recomend this enough.

BriarChef Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarChef (100)

A one pound plug bought online. A bargain. Big, hard SOB. Dressed the edge on my sharpest chef's knife and went to work. Sliced off a 1" square stick about 6" long. Shaved the narrow end into shag. 15 minutes dry time. Gravity fed into my itty bitty Upshall Lovat. Two vesta char. Two vesta light up.

Bliss. A lot of relights...a little more drying may be needed. No adverse effects from relighting. Sweet Virginia with some very light caramel flavors mid-bowl, probably from some sugar applied as "adhesive" in the pressing process. Not too deep in the flavor department. "Medium" about sums it up. One (good) dimensional. Very light tamping.

Some work, but recommended for those willing to take ownership of the smoking experience. Two more pounds on the way. Would rate four stars, but the effort may not appeal to all smokers, and relights may be an issue.

anixi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
anixi (17)
Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant

I'm not usually fond of VAs, so please take my comments with a grain of salt. Bought the minimum size at Mars, 4oz. which seems to be more than what I believe I could smoke in a year. The first smoke was bitey. The second was the same in a similar briar. I then mixed it with some GawHogg Dark Plug and it was much milder to the back of the throat and tongue. The mixture was 2 parts KP to 1 part DP. Works for me!

Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

I find that DrDNA's tobacco preferences are similar to my own. I wish now that I had read his review before sampling this very difficult to smoke tobacco.

It started out being difficult to slice, dice, lock and load. It then was difficult to keep lit. It was then difficult to get past the initial wave of "Lakeland perfume," and it was difficult to to finish the entire bowl.

I will say this, I have friends who have palates that crave the Lakeland flavorings. I think this one will put them high in the clouds with joy.

And if I may offer just a bit of friendly advice, it helps to have a Ginsu knife handy to prepare this stuff. Or, a small buzz saw.

DrDNA Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDNA (58)
Medium to Strong Strong Medium Tolerable to Strong

Notes: I chopped this plug up in a variety of ways. I preferred it in fully rubbed out little strands, allowed to dry out for several hours. As to the pipes I used, I didn't notice too much difference between them to be honest, as the perfume of the tobacco was rather strong.

Appearance: A solid little block of tobacco, much like a pipe tobacco "Chunky bar." Ultimatley it rubbed out to reveal medium to dark brown strands.

Aroma: Freshly mowed grass, sweet wine vinegar, roses, raisins, dried cherries.

Taste: Very flavored/scented, but surprisingly well-balanced, which yields a mellow, mild-mannered demeanor. Gently nutty, mildly sweet, geranium flowers present throughout, cherrywood, faintly smoky, becoming stronger and heavier on the palate as the bowl progresses.

Comparisons: Similar to St. Bruno in its behavior, but with a gentler flowery sweetness.

Bottom Line: Only for Lakeland/scented flake lovers! And it takes an effort to cut up your own plug. If you like St. Bruno, but have always thought, "Gee I wish it was really flowery!" this will punch your ticket.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

The effort required to prepare this for the pipe is not returned once you light up. It always seems to be trying to do something to tantalize your taste buds, but it just never really gets it right. Not at all what I expected.

It had a bit of harshness from time to time, but it was never unpleasant enough to make me put it down.

LoisKelly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LoisKelly (55)

If this is, as put forth by our most knowledgeable Inquisitor, the plug version of Best Brown Flake, I, for one, don't see it. If it truly is the same leaf, any nuance of that blend seems to have been pressed/steamed/squished out of existence. What's left is still quite good, to be sure, but more than a tad on the monolithic side (I knew all those wine reviews would eventually pay off). In other words, the tedium required to prepare a bowl (and I include the considerable "cool" factor) is simply not met with enough in return. The Kendal Plug is nice, and dense enough to affect orbiting satellites. Still, there are several more worthy contenders in the plug category on the market, such as Mick McQuaid's and Murray's Yachtsman Plug.

Cooksmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cooksmoke (29)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

This famed old plug I bought on a whim. I had never really smoked any plug tobacco and the fine gentleman at the shop recommended it. After he stommped on the cutter to produce my portion of tobacco I headed home to slice off some flakes. The preparation of this tobacco is such that one needs to be rather relaxed to begin with as it can lead to frustration if one is in a hurry. I personaly love to take my time with this one.

I shaved mine off the side of the plug so it was fairly well broken up and lit easily and burned well. The flavor is somewhat mild, mostly pure tobacco with only a light casing in the English manner. The room note was almost surprisingly pleasing and this is one of the very very few tobaccos that the wife enjoys the smell of. That alone will keep it around. It is an enjoyable, but not overly complex blend for an evening of relaxing. Definately not for the hasty.

Dwise Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dwise (25)
Medium to Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

This is about the mildest plug that Samuel Gawith makes. That's a little like saying it's the softest brick in the yard, but since the density of plug-tobacco usually makes for a powerful smoke, this is something of an accomplishment.

Kendal has a straight Virginia taste, and I would say its flavor is about the same intensity of Rattray's Hal O' the Wind. It is not nearly as complex or interesting as Hal (or many other VAs), but this is not to say that it isn't without features of interest. It has a plain beef stew kind of heartiness that can be refreshing in its simplicity. But be warned: this stuff delivers a deceptively strong blast of nicotine, especially if you smoke it on an empty stomach.

I would smoke this more often, but I hate dealing with plugs, and I am disinclined to invest in an antique plug-cutter or to subject my Cuisinart to a slab of tobacco. Like a lot of plugs, this stuff is difficult to keep lit, although I find it burns better if it has been allowed to dry out a bit.

Bottom line: If you have never tried a plug, Kendall would be a good place to start.