The smell of the tobacco is almost that of a flavored tobacco. When it's burning it produces a very sweet aroma at the beginning and then dissipates into a less evident, and yet pleasant, aroma. The taste is also very sweet, without being irritatingly so. Highly recommended if you're after a traditional British Virginia that is serious and yet sweet.

BrandSamuel Gawith
Taste

SeoulSister Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SeoulSister (24)
Medium to Strong Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The smell of Grousemoor Plug in the Mason jar is of strong sweet perfume. I know right away it is a Lakeland style blend. I am able to break up the plug using my nails. I prefer to break it into small pieces than rub out a little to get it lit. Whenever I first light Grousemoor Plug, the first taste I get is a sweet floral taste, but I can’t quite describe the exact flavor. Grousemoor Mixture has always been one of my favorite blends and I prefer it to the plug version. The reason is because the plug is much stronger and the flavor of the Mixture is more pleasurable to the end of the bowl.

Medium Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

As a lover of Lakeland style blends, Grousemoor is my favorite Lakeland plug. The plug arrives moist and cuts very easily with a sharp knife. I prefer to smoke it as a small cube cut.

The Lakeland flavoring seems to go in "reverse" direction for me as the scent is much stronger during the first half of the bowl and falls farther back as the bowl nears the end. My opinion of scented tobaccos is that if you don't like the flavor of the scent, it won't matter all that much as to the quality of the tobacco unless the underlying tobacco is really poor. This baccy is of high quality and burns nice and slow. One reviewer described the taste of cookies and I agree. However, those cookies have some floral scent too. It's very tasty. It is hard to smell the room note while smoking it, but my wife was having a bowl and I was surprised to find it to be only tolerable. Unlike 1792 (another SG I like) this blend is nearly as strong, but much softer and sweet. A very unique taste that I'm not sure if I could smoke daily, but excellent just the same. It is a shame that SG doesn't seem to want to capitalize on meeting demand because it is great stuff! Highly Recommended!

Mr. Ubiquity Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Ubiquity (16)
Mild to Medium Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

First of all, the manufacturer's description is very understated. This is very strongly floral. I put mine in a ziplock and the topping smell comes through so strongly that you can smell it even when doubly encased in ziploc and pipe pouch (in this case a heavy vinyl microphone case.) The plug is a mix of darks and lights, and is quite pretty. I cut some up and put it in a pipe I know burns hot and fired it up. WOW! The initial flavor reminded me of geranium incense or these funky laveneder candies. The smoke is extremely cool and really nice, but the flowery flavor never let up. It DGT's nicely, giving that same flowery taste on relight. The ash is clean and fluffy.

Overall I like this tobacco, and once I got past the "Holy Sh*t" stage of surprise, I found that the tobacco taste peeks through here and there. I think I will air the plug out some, as the volatiles in the oil should evaporate some and reduce the floweryness. The most interesting thing to me about this tobacco is I found myself liking the floral taste and craving it now and then. In the long, sullen winter nights of Minnesota, that can be a welcome reminder of the sunny days to come. If your up for an adventure, give it a try.

Added 12/7/04 After chopping this up into 1/4 inch pieces and also letting it sit for six months and air out several times, the taste remains exactly the same, strongly floral. I also tried to blend it down with half dark flake and there is no rebate in floral strength. The taste is fundamentally ok, but in too great a quantity.

Dwise Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dwise (25)
Medium to Strong Extra Strong Overwhelming Very Strong

Holy monkey crap -- superconcentrated industrial-strength Grousemoor!

The plug version of one of Gawith's most notorious tobaccos is not for the faint of heart. Not only is the tobacco about three times stronger, but the floral taste is overwhelming; it never gives way to the natural tobacco flavor the way the ribbon version does -- hell, it doesn't even leave your mouth for about an hour after you've smoked it. If you hate Grousemoor, avoid this stuff like plutonium.

On the other hand, after smoking this, the ribbon version will seem like a stately, ever-so-slightly flavored smoke...!

Medium to Strong Extra Strong Overwhelming Tolerable to Strong

Holy monkey crap -- superconcentrated industrial-strength Grousemoor!

Knightsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Knightsmoker (37)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This plug is very moist. I tried it almost a year ago and it was way to moist to smoke. I stored some but left some in a zip lock bag to come back to. I just found the bad and the moister level was almost perfect. 20 min. drying time made a great smoke. The VA is top quality and the lemongrass like flavoring had was not as strong. This is a good quality aromatic.

Chris08 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Chris08 (37)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

I like this more than Grousemoor Mixture, as the flabouring seems more subdued. The tobacco itself is wonderful and complex. If the topping was cut in half, this would be a great smoke. Cut off a few slices and add to some Medium Virginia Flake.

Like Earl Grey tea, this may have many devotees, but it's just a little over the top for me.

pipelovingcalvinist Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipelovingcalvinist (68)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I liked this brick of tobacco even more than the tinned ribbon stuff. Much darker and more intense, this was a much stronger smoke than the other stuff. Sweet with some earthiness, it made for a satisfying smoke. The only thing I didn't like about this tobacco was that it was so moist it was impossible to keep lit. I could dry out the tobacco for hours and it was still too damp to burn well. If I could get the hang of drying this out sufficiently I would give it four stars. A rich and pleasant blend.

Soli Deo gloria!

Sinister Topiary Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sinister Topiary (74)
Medium Very Strong Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Grousemoor -- the tinned, shredded leaf version -- became one of my favorites from my first bowl. So when the opportunity arose to get Grousemoor plug I had to give it a go. I actually purchased a pound of the stuff (the minimum I could purchase at the time). I figured I was bound to love it in its more "pure" form. As Jason stated "I wanted to be beaten severely over the head with that floral goodness - and the plug delivered." However, I don't agree with his next statement: "If you like Grousemoor, you'll love Grousemoor Plug."

It came in one giant block, which is fine -- I love the ritual of slicing my flakes. When I first sampled it, I was struck by how intense the flavor was -- I, too, thought I had wanted to be hit on the head with the flavor, but I was surprised when I realized that maybe being assaulted by it wasn't the best way to appreciate it. One may love the taste of capers or marmite, but shoving a handful in your mouth may not be the best way to appreciate them. (Not that this tastes anything like capers or marmite, BTW.) Or, like Pernod, which is too strong a flavor by itself, and really needs to be diluted to appreciate it. Sometimes too much of a good thing really is too much.

A word of advice: Do not give this a try until you have tried the tin version. In short, this is Grousemoor on steroids, so much so that the two versions are almost unrecognizable siblings: The tin version has a strong yet still subtle flavor to it, one that complements the tobacco; this one overwhelms any tobacco flavor.

Aging helps. My first scrapings from the giant slab gave me a flavor that was sharp and "young", like fine wine that hadn't fully aged yet. The plug has now been aging for almost two years, and it's finally starting to mellow so that the flavor is more rounded and mature. I like it more now that it's mellowed a bit from the aging. Indeed I look forward to working my way through the block over the upcoming years. To fine-tune Jason's assertion, perhaps if you love Grousemoor, you'll like Grousemoor plug.

CaptainEnormous Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptainEnormous (17)
Mild Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

Tastes like hippy.

I'm reviewing this to steer people who aren't fans of the "Lakeland"-scent well clear. From 10' away, you can smell the floral aroma coming off the unlit plug (which smells a lot like patchouli to me). This scent doesn't go away as you smoke. It stays there, oscillating between overpowering and noticeable.

I suspect there is a large contingent of people out there who like this topping. . .the way to rounds out the rougher edges of a VA blend, and the way it perfumes the air like incense.

I'm not entirely averse to the experience, especially during the last 1/3 of the smoke when the tobacco grows richer and there's some interesting interplay. But it's just not my thing. So my recommendation is only 2 stars.

Jaw Warmer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jaw Warmer (3)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Grousemoor is really a very nice smoke. My two favourite tobacco's are #1 Cob Plug and #2 Grousemoor.

Grousemoor is a lighter smoke than Cob. It has a nice flavour and room note. As I type I am puffing away on a pipe-full of Grousemoor and enjoying it very much.

I find that Grousmoor has a cool even burn with little or no moisture nor nicotine but has a lovely after taste.

Thank you Sam & Co.

PipsterDoofus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipsterDoofus (1)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

A thick heavy, resinous plug with a deep floral, incense-like scent. The leaves peel off easily and can be cut or rubbed to your preference. Difficult to get going but once it starts it burns surprisingly well and rewards the smoker with plumes of floral white smoke. A full bodied perfumed flavour like nothing else. Not something I can smoke all the time but an absolute delight when I'm in the mood.

rramstad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rramstad (115)
Medium Medium to Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a true Lakeland plug. The flavoring is not overwhelming, but it has a definite floral, scented thing going on, and won't be everyone's cup of tea. That said, the tobaccos are top notch, and you can taste them through the flavoring. I liked my first bowl, and will continue experimenting with it. I do get a bit of tongue bite from this, but I also get the same level of bite from Best Brown Flake, and typically lighter Virginias all give me a bit of bite unless they are very carefully blended and either cased or stoved or have cavendish added.

jvande7 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jvande7 (15)
Mild to Medium Strong Full Pleasant

I had some tinned Grousemoor a short while back and really dug it. I'm into the whole floral/hippie scented thing, so keep that in mind. Anyhow, I heard that the plug version is even stronger as far as the Grousemoor essence goes, so I started seeking. This stuff is REALLY hard to find right now (both tin and plug). With the help of a friend I finally found a source and ordered a 4 oz chunk. WOWZERS! I sure heard right when I heard that the plug version is more Grousemoor-y than the tinned version. It's exactly what I wanted (the tinned Grousemoor is very good but only lightly flavored/scented). I wanted to be beaten severely over the head with that floral goodness - and the plug delivered. If you like Grousemoor, you'll love Grousemoor Plug. It's not for everyone, but it's a delicious treat for those that swing that way.

GuitarDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GuitarDan (1)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

Outstanding experience! Easily my favorite smoke.

The plug form allows a nice control over the texture of the tobacco itself. VERY useful when trying to match a bowl shape/size/dimension for optimum burn.

I don't understand anyone saying it tastes like soap. I've had my mouth washed out as a lad several times. Nothing similar there at all. It does have a strong floral SCENT which is very similar to that of fine French milled soaps.

It has a bit of virginia tang that couples with a balancing sweetness.

The floral essence is quite strong in the nose, and does enter a bit into flavor. Not soapy at all! More along the lines of the rosewater that dances in turkish delight candy.

It is a VERY VERY moist brick that ages quite well. Less surface area makes the flavor stay vibrant, yet after a time becomes more unified.

Because it is so moist, it cuts quite easily with a stiff sharp knife.

Generally, I slice strips/flakes across the grain about 2mm thick first thing in the morning, and lay them out to dry during breakfast. After loading the pipe, the rest go into my pocket tin to be used throughout the day (if luck is with me).

Expect to relight unless it's quite purposefully dried.

This has been a consistently enjoyable blend for me.

I can understand however, that it is not universally loved. It is VERY distinctive and not at all similar to many other tobaccos.

JohnnyO Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyO (7)
Mild to Medium Strong Medium Pleasant

Very sweet and very floral, I wouldn't call it soapy because soap doesn't taste good. This is sweet and floral and leaves a wonderful taste in your mouth and a friendly aroma in the air. The plug arrived very wet and sticky. It is the easiest of the plugs to slice, but it's so wet when you rub it out you can press the tobacco into a ball and it'll stay. That's my only complaint is having to let it dry out for a few hours before smoking. It burned well and cleanly though it did leave some dottle in the bowl but that doesn't bother me. The floral notes lessen throughout the bowl but they do not go away. I like this because it tastes exactly how it smells, it's sweet, and the flavor doesn't disappear like your typical aromatics. This is becoming one of my favorite smokes!

Daniel Morlan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Daniel Morlan (50)
Medium Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This stuff is a LOT better than the tinned grouse moor. I bought this from cup o' joes a while back, and it tastes very superior to the tinned blend.

Smooth, very "soapy" and lakeland-ey... Another old-world style tobacco with a long and rich history. The topping is very floral, and the tobacco is very good stuff.

7 out of 10.

Long live Gawith!

Benjamin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Benjamin (22)
Mild to Medium Strong Medium Pleasant

A strange tobacco, this. Tastes like cookies.

Curious about plugs and ropes, I some time ago placed an order with the good people at http://www.pipesandtobaccos.com, the Swiss tobacconist that provides the intriguing Schurch blends.

Grousemoor Plug is not a tobacco I plan to try again. At first, it was great fun cutting slices from the plug and then rubbing them out. The rewards, unfortunately, do not justify the effort. It has a very interesting flavour, flowery and very sweet, but one can't keep it lit. Whilst smoking this, one becomes convinced that one is smoking matches, not tobacco. When it does manage to burn, it burns HOT. Searing, parching smoke.

The British know how to make very fine pipe tobaccos. St. Bruno, for instance, or the eternal Condor. Grousemoor Plug is not one of Britain's finer attempts.