Notes: This is one of the three new tobaccos known as the "Founders Collection" produced to honor Charles Peterson, Henry Kapp and Fredrick Kapp on Peterson's 150th anniversary in 2015.

BrandPeterson
CountryIE
Strength
Taste

3.1
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Peterson’s Signature Flake is medium brown in color with some bright Virginia lightly interspersed. The flake scent is mainly of hay and a light citrus-like topping. I usually break flakes in to smaller and larger pieces but prefer this blend folded and stuffed. The manually added sweetness gives SF the flavor of a flake that has been aged and topping aside, it made have been for some time prior to tinning. This is a sweet flake along the lines of Orlik Golden Sliced in terms of sweetness. Starting out mild, SF quickly builds to medium strength and doesn’t bite, even when pushed. The added flavoring, grows stronger as each bowl progresses to the point that this wouldn’t be an everyday blend for me, but enjoyable just the same.

Peterson - Signature Flake.

To me, this is what smoking a pipe's all about. I don't see how any true Va flake lover wouldn't fall for this!

Although I have a sealed tin, I also had some of it loose in a baggie so I used that for this review as I could see it was aching to be smoked; the moisture was perfect!

The flake's themselves are just above a medium brown in colour with many lighter flecks across them. As others have said, they're quite thin and that aids crumbling/rubbing.

The very second the pipe's lit I can't wait to open my fresh tin; it's a fabulous smoke that belongs in every rotation! I could smoke it forever!

I'm not too sure what, if any, topping has been used but the smoke has, alongside the superb freshness of the grassy Virginia's, a sort of mild, sweetness; it's not one that implies anything strong but there does seem to be a delicate extra addition of some sort. I find this more recognizable after about a quarter of a bowl. Although I'm thinking of opening my sealed tin, I'm wondering, if I cellar it how sweet would it be with some aged released dextrose to it? Food for thought!

I can't find a bad thing to say about this; it's gives a good note, medium nicotine, nice flavour, a slow burn and no bite.

Highly recommended

Pipe Used: Peterson St. Patricks 2014

Age When Smoked: Two weeks in baggie

Purchased From: GQ Tobaccos

Big Train Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Train (54)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

As a smoker of Virginia folded flakes I have my favorites . Chief among them are the four by F & T and the Wessex flakes . This Peterson's blend joins that select group . Upon opening the can I simply enjoyed looking at it for a while . Long folded flakes in a round can , neatly piled up and a nice blond color . The tin note is very inviting , there is a slight top note something like citrus . It reminded my somewhat of Wessex gold flake but much softer in texture . The moisture level seemed perfect . This Peterson's blend has a nice , steady burn and leaves a clear white ash . The taste is very subtle , one must puff slowly to enjoy it . It should be smoked in a Virginia dedicated pipe or the smoker will miss the true value of this tobacco . With all of the new tobaccos coming out in 2015 this is , in my opinion , the best by far .

2/8/16 The above review was after I opened and smoked the first of two cans ordered . The second can simply was not the same tobacco , not even close . After examining and smoking the much darker tobacco within I determined that it was , in my opinion , Peter Stockebye's luxury navy flake . The second can had a totally different tobacco than the first can . A mistake at the factory seemed possible . I opened a third can , from the 5 new ones I ordered and it too resembled luxury navy . I think that I know the taste of perique when I encounter it and it was present . I decided to cast around to try and match the first can that I loved . I came up with Sitliff Virginia slices as being pretty close , I mean it was hard to see any difference . Now Sutliff sells for $24 a pound and the Petersons sells for around $95 a pound . Other than the long cut of the Sutliff there seems to be little , if any , difference . I hope someone else reviews this Peterson's and offers their opinion .

Pipe Used: Dunhill group 3 root prince

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (175)

This is the first of the Founders Collection that I have tried. This ranks right up there with Peterson's other fine flake offerings. The flakes are of a generous size and are on the thin side for relative ease in loading up your pipe. The tin note and room note are great. The presentation is very good as well. The Virginias used here are of a good quality. This blend smokes down to a nice fine ash at the bottom of the bowl. The nicotine level is just right. They say that there is a casing, but it is so much in the background as to go unnoticed. Just a great Virginia blend with that nice hay smell to it. Definitely recommended when you can get your hands on some.

Medium Medium Medium to Full Unnoticeable

This is the second tin of this I've tried and found it to be a very nice blend. It didn't need any drying out and is good to go right away. Just one point, I found it to be a bit harsh on the charring light but after it settles down to a really pleasant smoke. It really settles down about a third of the way down the bowl. In all a really nice smoke with no tongue bite, burns well and a very satisfying smoke.

Pipe Used: Savinneli briar and meershaum

Age When Smoked: new and aged 1 yr

Purchased From: my smokig shop, Preston, UK

GeeJay Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GeeJay (3)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Strong

Well, Peterson has made this Straight Virginia as a special one. And they were right. This is a typical Peterson blend. It is mentioned before: reserve for this tobacco a pipe you do use for your Va's. I've smoked in my rototation pipes and the taste was overwhelmed by the ghost of other tobaccos. Take your time with it and enjoy, relaxed puffing this no 1 tobacco

Pipe Used: Stanwell Cutty

Age When Smoked: fresh from the tin

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

These are nicely prepared, thin, moist, pliable flakes that are easy to fold and pack. The mix of yellow, brown and darker VAs result in a balanced and sweet smoke and I didn't think that the topping had much influence. Burned evenly and cool without the need for relights. Enjoyable, but other straight VAs available at lower unit cost in bulk are just as good.

Pipe Used: various bowl sizes

Purchased From: pipes & cigars.com

Rob Kimberley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rob Kimberley (4)

I'm just doing a side by side comparison of this which I was gifted here in the UK with Stokkebye's Luxury Navy Flake, after reading a previous review. Very interesting. The look alike, smell alike and taste alike. Now, this may be just my taste buds, but as the Peterson is listed as straight Virginia, and the Stokkebye is listed as a VaPer, I am somewhat confused. I would therefore be very interested to see other reviews of this blend.

Pipe Used: Meerschaum