Manufactured by spinning tobacco dark fired leaves into a rope.

Brown Irish, the thicker version of Brown Bogie, is a true old fashioned stout smoke, perfect, with a good strength more suited for the experienced pipe smoker.

BrandGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
CutRope
Packaging25g. 50. 500g Pouch, Bulk
Strength
Strong
Taste
Very Full
Pleasant, Tolerable to Strong

Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (139)
Medium None Detected Medium Unnoticeable

This was my latest challenge on my adventure into Rope City. It has been described as a thicker iteration of GH's quite tasty Brown Bogie, aka Happy Bogie, an attribute not completely without merit.

The aroma in the pouch aroma is very much the same as BB, no surprise there really. The thick rope, this is well thick, slice reasonably well and don't need a great deal of prying apart to turn into something packable. This is a little damp, to be expected of a GH rope, so some drying might be advisable.Even without it though, it is not that difficult to light and keep lit. The taste isn't too dissimilar to BB either, though it is perhaps a little sweeter and less earthy than it's slimmer cousin. Nonetheless, it is still a very satisfying smoke. I cannot say it is a particularly strong encounter with the old Vitamin N, but, as mentioned in other recent reviews, I have become somewhat attuned to this after a string of ropes in the immediate past.

Given my love for BB, it will be of no shock to your good selves that I find this an incredibly enjoyable smoke. Would I smoke it over BB? Not necessarily, one is equally as good as the other and there is only a modicum of difference in the respective flavours. You pay your money and you take your choice. I do have about 100g of BB in my so called cellar that now runs the risk of being smoked straight off the bat after trying this. This is definitely worth a repeat purchase though, and thoroughly worth four stars.

Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Pleasant

Gawith Hoggarth - Brown Irish Twist.

I can't argue with the description, it really is one full, stout smoke! I believe this could be a bit of a 'love or hate' blend for most people.

The rope is very thick but despite this it only requires a small amount of attention to get it set up for a good smoke; a sharp knife slices coins from the rope easily which are then relatively simple to roll and crumble. As others state it is a touch too moist, not horrendously so, a short airing period after crumbling up the weed seems to suffice.

Then it's time to pack the bowl and get started I think they should re-define the dictionary meaning of the word 'stout', it should read "Stout: Gawith Hoggarth Brown Irish Twist"! It doesn't develop that acrid taste that I have had from some of the other GH ropes, I only get a full tobacco taste for the whole journey.

Something I find pleasing is the temperature of the smoke, it's lovely and cool and although it has a full flavour it doesn't become bitey at any point.

On to the nicotine now: yes, it's quite strong yet it's not anywhere near as potent as some of the ropes. Medium to strong is more than fair.

I like the room note, it has a slight chariness to it yet it's not too much.

A surprising smoke as I don't normally like rope blends yet I love this!

Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Peterson Standerd 303

Purchased From: GQ Tobaccos

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (183)
Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

Half the fun is in looking at it, smelling it and mostly preparing it for a stout and surprisingly tasty smoke. A few hours of settling some slices, that are rolled and crumbled, into a small pipe and it's on.

This natural dark fired Virginia has a caramelized, malty, beef jerky flavor. There's also some spiciness when puffed too hard, it definitely has a cigar like characteristic . Smooth and not biting, provided it is smoked slowly and on a full belly. Perfect for the cliche ''for experienced pipe smokers only''.

Pipesmoking101 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipesmoking101 (62)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I ordered 50g of this, being a fan of twists & ropes in general, I thought I would probably like it a lot, I wasn't far wrong. It's a good solid smoke.

The appearance straight from the pouch is what is to be expected, we've all seen it before, it looks like a badly made cigar in many respects, the thick wrapper leaf tends to start to unravel before too long, giving it an appearance of a length of thick cigar that has become frayed out at the end. The opening of the pouch releases a rich dark, powerful aroma so typical of these types of tobacco. To me it is reminiscent of the smell of the countryside with perhaps hits of dark strong tea on a crisp morning about it.

I have heard that some people unravel the leaves from the outside & slice them up. This is not a way I would smoke it, nor would I recommend it. The best way to prep this tobacco is to slice off slim disks, and then either stuff them or rub them out to load. I rubbed these out fairly roughly the reason for this being that in the centre of the disks, there was dampness, whilst towards the edges, it was dry. Rubbing out allowed them to combine & reach a good humidity level for an even burn. It packed and burned easily when rubbed. The burn rate can be adjusted to your own preference by cutting the ring very thin & rubbing until it's like shag, or a bit thicker & less thoroughly rubbed for a cooler smoke.

Upon lighting there is an explosion of rich flavour from this tobacco. The pouch note gives away what it will taste like. It has a very full mouthfeel, and is a luxuriously thick oily taste. Very pleasant indeed. I lack the ability to verbalise how I feel about the taste of pure dark Virginias, suffice to say I like them very much.

The room note is fine & inoffensive.

The nicotine strength is moderate/strong, which surprised me somewhat, I was expecting it to be very strong, but it's no bad thing as it means a larger bowl can be savoured of this delightful blend.

It pairs well with dark drinks, Stouts or Porters are my recommendation. The only bad thing about this is that the flavour doesn't advance much, and it can burn too hot if pushed. 3 stars from me, very nice & an absolute must if one is a lover of these types of tobaccos.

Pipe Used: Barling Londoner, Old England Zulu

Purchased From: mysmokingshop.co.uk

Similar Blends: Samuel Gawith - Brown Pigtail (but better), Samuel Gawith - Black XX Twist (Rope) (but less oily tasting).

crazy owl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
crazy owl (70)
Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

What a tough smoke,specially conceived for the most rustical people,like the humble smoker writing now this review.Though tough as is really,it´s nevertheles of very fine quality and well matured leaf.To be sincere this is not for everybody,strong flavour and well loaded with N vitamin.Beside that not friendly with ladies pretty noses and mosquitos,because this I like smoking at summer nights outdoors.In short,high grade leaf in the strong way.I´ll not say the strongest because there are other ropes supposed to be tougher and I´d yet not tasted. I use to cut fine roundels with scissors and to keep then in a jar.Prior to smoking drying and rubbing.One must cut slices when it´s in the original very moist presentation.If you dry it too much it would lose complexity and it will appear a background of cigar like aroma that I don´t like into my pipe.

Pipe Used: small bowls

Purchased From: local tobacconist

Jorge Soler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jorge Soler (114)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Full Pleasant

This rope is pretty much in line with the rest of the ropes Gawith Hoggarth is known for. Quite floral and sweet, it is somewhat reminiscent of cigar leaf. The taste ranges from medium as you light up your pipe, to full the more you progress with your smoke. The last quarter of your bowl gets so strong that has a little bit of a bite. Also, it seems to be packed with a fair amount of vitamin N. To be able to do this review I have packed a bowlful with it, but I'd rather use it for blending other tobaccos with. I have tried to chew it as well, but even though they sell it as chewing tobacco, it doesn't promote salivation, so I'd not recommend it for that particular purpose. All and all I'd say this is a good smoke, but I am not sure whether I shall buy it again.

Pipe Used: Northern Briars Premier Dublin

Amsteracqua Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Amsteracqua (22)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

One the my favourites. Going right to the point, this rope is Strong but at the same time smooth and mellow (for my taste). The Rope cut (or twist cut for that purists) requires a ritual for to start the smoke, the flavor are bitter and are not for all types of the smokers. Maybe this tobacco can not be for you dear reader, but, if you like of the strenght this is your tobacco.

pinko Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pinko (52)
Strong Extremely Mild Very Full Tolerable to Strong

Stout tobacco, and plain. The brown pigtails, bogies, and twists are not cooked, so they're punchier than the black ones. This is straight dark-fired Virginia tobacco with no bells and whistles, and it tastes like it. It's more cigar-like than anything I've ever had in a pipe.

Preparation is simple, but lighting takes a long time. I slice coins and loosely break them up. Gravity fill seems to work better for me than packing - this stuff will expand a lot. Patience is necessary when lighting. Just take your time, it'll get going.

None of the twists are going to blow you away with complexity, just honest tobacco. In the brown line, I prefer the Bogie for selfish reasons - it's the right size to chew if I feel like it, where Twist is a little too big for that. They both smoke the same.

I'd recommend Brown Irish Twist to a smoker who has no interest in the occasional chew but wants a strong, unique dark-fired Virginia.

Age When Smoked: fresh - 6 months