Long cut Virginia and black cavendish tobaccos enter into perfect liaison rounding out the mix with ripe burley. With its harmonious taste and beautiful balance, this blend exudes the scent of pineapple delicately highlighted with a walnut flavour.

BrandVauen
Blended ByVauen
Manufactured ByKohlhase & Kopp
FlavoringFruit / Citrus, Nuts / Beans, Pineapple
CutMixture
Strength
Medium to Strong, Very Strong, Extra Strong
Taste
Mild to Medium, Medium, Overwhelming
1.3
Mild Very Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Vauen - Aueland Evening Mixture (Hobbit).

This is one of those blends where the aromatic tin-note hits you without even having to put your nose deliberately above it; there isn't great detail to the smell, it's mainly pineapple.

The mix includes quite a fair quotient of each of the tobaccos, but sadly the tin's held too much moisture inside, I have to let the blend air for some time prior to smoking any of it:

The smoke really isn't 'my thing'. Albeit, it's quite classy but it's not the kind of tobacco I enjoy; just like in the tin-note, the pineapple is the main character, and it's also strong, too strong for me. The walnuts are very delicately added, personally it's hard to differentiate between nuts from the Burley and nuts from any aromatic addition.

After about a quarter of a bowl the smoke takes on a kind of jelly bean/fondant sweetness; most incongruous, increasing the 'falseness' prodigiously.

I'd opened this with some trepidation, I never for one minute thought I'd enjoy a pineapple blend. As it turns out I was right; I hope the bin likes pineapple!

Even though I don't like it, it's a well made blend; for that, I'll still somewhat recommend it.

Two stars.

Pipe Used: Peterson Jekyll and Hyde #05

Age When Smoked: Two months

Purchased From: The Danish Pipe Shop

Sanel418 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sanel418 (3)
Mild Extra Strong Overwhelming Pleasant

Sorry Vauen, but this is the worst tobacco I ever smoke. When you open a tin you can see beautiful leaves and quality tobacco. You can fully smell Pineapple. When you smoke it, you can taste only Pineapple with other aromas, there is no tobacco. After 1/3 bowl I cleaned my pipe with alchohol and salt and there is still Pineapple smell in the pipe after 24h of treatment. After this I smoked two bowls of Latakia and you can still taste Pineapple. Good thing is that I did not smoke it in expensive pipe. Only solution was to get rid of it.....

BROBS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BROBS (49)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

Ok.. I wanted to like this one. I can't. It tastes when smoked of a urinal cake in my opinion... and will ghost your pipe the same way. I nearly ruined an almost new Vauen Deluxe by smoking some of this in it. It still almost has the ghost in it and I've smoked all kinds of other tobaccos through it. I gave this tin to my wife as she like cherry/fruity blends which I despise. If you like fruity or cherry tobacco, you may like this.. but I just can't stand it. If you do decide to try it.. don't try it in a nice pipe or your favorite until you know you like it!

Pipe Used: Vauen

Age When Smoked: direct from tin, also pouched.