A zesty blend of Virginias from the U.S. and Brazil, mixed with creamy Cyprian latakia and cold-pressed for a light, sophisticated all-day English mixture

BrandSavinelli

3.7
Sasquatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sasquatch (81)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Strong

Okay, I'm first. This only goes to show what cowards and sheep pipe smokers are. No one has tried this blend. What would happen if I bought a tin?? What could be inside? I'm scared!

I'll tell you what's inside. Flakes. Yup. Those perfect little gum-stick flakes 1.5mm thick that you-know-who makes. These are dark and delicious. Moisture in the tin is fine, you can dry a bit if you like. Rubs easily. Under the match, my first impression is wood, an interesting backbone for what is theoretically a va/lat blend. The latakia is flavorful but of a muted sort, nothing sharp in the nose at all. The virginia sweet and pretty zesty. By halfway through, this is chugging along offering no complicated flavors, but a nice balance of sweet, zesty, and smoky leaves.

Not the most exciting set of flavors in the world, and a little one dimensional if you compare it to an oriental-fest medium English like King Charles or something of that ilk. But tasty and easy to get along with. Not much for nicotine... it's there but not unfriendly.

I think in a few years, it will calm down some and be sublime. Fresh, it's good, and there are only a few blends like it on the market - if you like them, this is worth a try. Not as dirty/heavy as commonwealth, and not as sweet(ened) as McClelland offerings in this vein (Anniversary, Frog Morton).

Pipe Used: Castellos

Purchased From: 4nogs

Similar Blends: , Samuel Gawith - Commonwealth Mixture, McClelland - Anniversary 1977-2010.

Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

Savinelli - Giubileo d'Oro.

I got this on a trade with my friend Franck (Gentleman Zombie) in the States, and I always get thrilled up by the blends he's able to send, although it paradoxically highlights that without the use of a computer there's not much to be had here in the U.K.!

The tin holds three rows of flakes that have quite a lot of yellow mottles over them, and they're a tad moist.

The taste of it is a little different to what the title English often implies, it's a bit smoother and milder, and nowhere near as caustic as some. My palate isn't ransacked by smokiness, instead there's a lot of cedar and hardly any smokiness. Even though the Latakia's the more prominent of the two leaves, the Virginia goes far from unnoticed: it gives a notable sweetness, and a nice touch of grass. G.d.O. burns well once it's lit, albeit, the few bowls I've had so far did require a somewhat tenacious igniting technique (they probably could have used a longer airing!).

Personally, I think the room-note's good, and the nicotine's about medium.

Franck, cheers buddy, here's to the next trade!

Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Comoy's Elegance

Age When Smoked: Tin dated September 2015

Purchased From: Traded with Gentleman Zombie

The Latakia is mildly smoky with a fairly strong note of wood. It has a nice smoothness with only a very mild acrid note. The Virginias lend sweetness and a little spice and, like most Lat/Va blends, very little flavor-wise. The overall flavor is of a mildly sweet and somewhat spicy Latakia. Pretty one-dimensional, but that's ok with me. I've always had an affinity for Lat/Va smokes and this is a pretty good one.

Medium in body and taste. No added flavorings. Burns very well.

Pipe Used: MM Marcus, Country Gentleman, Mark Twain

LannarkGent Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LannarkGent (126)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This Virginia and latakia blend is very good. The flake burned very well and evenly. The topping was detectable, but very pleasant and complimentary to the basic blend .It is very smooth for a latakia blend.

moniker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
moniker (110)

If you fancy a first quality “simple English”, Savinelli’s Guilibeo d’Oro might be just what you’re looking for. In any case, it’s become my own first choice from an over-crowded field of contenders. In the tin one finds two rows of dense, dark, perfectly formed flakes that smell just as they ought to: smoky, premium, cold-pressed, VA tobaccos. No “incense”, no nonsense, just great tobacco, top to bottom. If you fold and stuff loosely, as I do, you’ll have a long, leisurely session with plenty of fragrant smoke and a long, smoky, sweet-and-sour aftertaste. The VAs seem to be mostly air-cured reds and browns, with perhaps a dabbling of stoved, slightly earthy, with a just-noticeable pungency, all made "smoky" by the sour-ish, Old School Latakia. If you are a fan of JF Germain's Brown Flake, and you "get" its "simple" guise, you might well enjoy G d'O, given, of course, you are OK with Latakia, as well. Strength is medium. Tastes are just over medium. Room note is perfectly apropos.

Four stars; G d’O is the first English to make my rotation in a long, long time.

Pipe Used: various; Savinelli (G d'O, of course)

Age When Smoked: maybe 1 year

Purchased From: Liberty Tobacco

Similar Blends: Watch this space. It rather contrasts to others of its constituent ilk..

Olivermac Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Olivermac (7)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I initially only ordered this savinelli offering due to the cool, classy looking tin and because I have a special attachment to savinelli in general due to inheriting my very 1st pipe from my father. A fine 1970s model savinelli briar with an absolutely massive bowl. Its mostly for display now due to the amount of tobacco it requires just to get it halfway full, but in my piping infancy I smoked a lot of leaf out of my old nelli. It will always be one of my most prized possessions. Anyway, I'm really glad I ordered this now because it is one of my top 3 English blends to this day. The inside of the tin mirrors the outside in class having several rows of multicolored, delicately placed flakes of near perfect smoking consistency. I love the smell of this one because along with the smoky latakia you also clearly smell an extremely pleasant Virginia in there as well in perfect balance. Oftentimes this type of blend is dominated mostly by a strong latakia, but that's where this blend really shines is in it's truly impeccable balance which is not easily achieved. I'm sure at one time this blend was someone's labor of love and a lot of time was spent getting it dead right. Its one of those rare tobaccos that makes me feel like I've got something that not just anyone can aquire and it's something special, even though anyone can aquire it with a simple visit to our beloved p&c or it's competitor. If you are a fan of English blends then you should definitely give this a smoke.

Pipe Used: Various mm cobs and assorted briars