This stunningly sweet and creamy latakia blend is comprised of fine Virginias with strong burley as the base. To this, we add black cavendish with creamy Izmir. To give some spicy and smoky overtones, a good helping of Cypriot latakia and some perique are thrown in.

BrandGQ Tobaccos
Blended ByGlynn Quelch
Manufactured ByGlynn Quelch
Blend TypeOther
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Burley, Latakia, Perique, Virginia
CutMixture
Strength
Medium, Medium to Strong
None Detected, Very Mild
Taste
Medium, Full
Very Pleasant, Pleasant
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Very Pleasant

GQ Tobaccos-UKPTC#1. I'm yet to have a bad blend from GQ, they always hit the spot! This is no different.

From the pouch I get a sort of musty aroma. I can tell it contains Latakia but it doesn't seem to smell to sharp. It's more calm and woody.

The lighting of UKPTC#1 is easy enough and it has me loving it right away!

It isn't your standard Lat-Bomb, far from it. The Latakia is definitely present but it's not in that smoky/sharp league that's often the case. It gives a light smokiness but a prominent woodiness.

The Burley tastes splendid. To me, this seems to make up a large proportion of the smokes flavour. It says in the description how this and Virginia form the base and this is clear to taste. Although, it seems to me to be a higher proportion of the Burley, either that or this Burley has a more formidable flavour than most!

The lightest taste is the Black Cavendish; again though, this could be because the other flavours are so headstrong they subdue the gentle addition from the Black Cav'.

To me it seems obvious it contains Perique. Apart from tasting it I can feel it as I find the nicotine quite strong!

More good points; burn, temperature and tongue bite..... even, medium, and none!

This is a very enjoyable blend. Easy to rate.... highly recommended.

Four stars.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Lucite Roma

Purchased From: GQ Tobaccos

Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

25 gram bag sample of what appears identical to every latakia blend I've ever seen... light to dark ribbons of uniform cut. Different smell, however - less spicy and more down to earth tobacco. The latakia aroma was more subdued than I expected.

Whenever I run into a blend that I should like but that has a lot of constituent tobaccos, I usually blame it on too many strains. :) I liked the burley base, as the burley seemed well intentioned. It added a nice nut-sweetness to a blend that would otherwise have been boring. The latakia was not too prevalent and in fact I thought the burley led the show. The perique was there but took a strong backseat and the Cavendish certainly may have been the cause of the sweetness (that's what it does after all!) but if so, I liked what it did to the burley. All in all, this should have been a very good if not great blend. Unfortunately, it fell flat overall. It was like a stew that was layered instead of blended. I could taste each component when I focused on them but when I sat back and relaxed, the flavor was just a jumble. So maybe it wasn't layered - perhaps it was too fully mixed. At any rate, this blend failed to excite. In that respect, it reminded me of Dunhill Standard Medium, a tobacco that's just sort of "there" but doesn't really distinguish itself. It was sort of a chore to finish even the 25 grams, but what the heck, you can't hit on all cylinders and everyone else's cylinders all the time. Recommended for those who like the idea of Dunhill Standard Medium with more burley than Virginia.