John Peels style! This is the same as My Own Blend no.4. Pure ripe Virginia's with a natural sweetness. Can be enjoyed all day long!

BrandPaul Olsen
Manufactured ByMy Own Blend
Strength
Taste
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Paul Olsen - Best Blend No.4 (My Own Blend)

Once again, I failed to read the description properly prior to opening it up to do a review. I was in the mood for a flake, but opened this: a ribbon!

The blend is presented as quite long ribbons, that are a medium brown in colour. As ever with Paul Olsen, the water content is unquestionably perfect; Paul Olsen's roomy tins nearly always make the blend 'just right' in that area.

Onto the smoke now: the flavour's worth four stars on its own. It's a voluptuous and full Virginia one: full, as in it's a smoke where the taste is 100% Virginia, I don't mean it has a full taste in general. This flavour's undoubtedly from an extremely high quality leaf: it's a very deep Virginia taste, with lots of the mature attributes. It's not as citrus-sharp as is often the case, this has a lot of class and body to it. The burn is consistent from the beginning to the end; it only needs a little tamping, hardly any re-lights, and burns to a pure grey ash.

The nicotine's quite low from BB4: to me, it's no more than mild. And finally the room-note's nice: a basic Virginia one, but pleasant nonetheless.

This is a dazzlingly good Virginia: it's not flashy and not a show off, dare I say it's maybe a touch basic; but that's basic in a GOOD WAY!

Even though I normally prefer some spice in my smoke, it still gets highly recommended as it's such a good quality.

Four stars.

P.S. I've posted the same review for both Best Blend 4 (My Own Blend), and No.4 (My Own Bend), as I understand they're the same thing now.

Pipe Used: Peterson Around The World France #68