Part of our traditional English range of plugs, Cannon is derived from the Best Brown cake with a sweet Honey Dew flavour.

BrandSamuel Gawith
Blended BySamuel Gawith
Manufactured BySamuel Gawith
CutPlug
Packaging50 grams pouch, bulk
Strength
Medium to Strong, Very Strong
Taste
Full

2.7
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

The Virginias have some earth and grass, fermented tangy dark fruit and citrus, and a very light spice note. The toppings range from honeydew, a little lemon grass, and a few drops of Lakeland, all of which provide a very sweet, lightly tart taste that does sublimate the tobaccos to a fair extent. Given that, I would say everything works together with pleasant synergy. The taste level is in the center of medium to full. The nic-hit is mild to medium. No chance of bite or harshness. The plug is easy to break apart to suit your preference. Burns a little slow with a cool and clean, very smooth, richly consistent flavor from start to finish. requires a number of relights, and leaves little moisture in the bowl. Has a nice after taste and room note. It’s almost an all day smoke, and experienced smokers may consider it to be one.

Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

I finally broke out a 7 year old brick a week or so ago. I was in a strange mood and figured I might as well smoke a strange tobacco. Bingo!

Cannon Plug had a very rotted fruit smell from the moment I opened the package. I took a swak and shaved it. The smell is still on my fingers a week later. I was smart enough to grab an old pipe reserved for aromatics. Although not really aromatic in flavor, Cannon Plug does leave its taste and scent in your pipe long after the tobacco has been consumed. I will own up to the fact that only a quarter bowl was consumed before I decided I was no longer in a strange mood.

Somewhat recommended for those who go totally against the grain in all that they do.

Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Based on an ounce sample. Nice dark plug with a bag aroma of something I couldn't hope to ascertain. That happens a lot to me with G&H florals. As a fan of same, the aroma was enticing. The flavor only mildly disappointed, which means this is still an excellent blend. At this point, I just expect G&H Lakelands to be stellar, and this one was merely "great". Then again, an ounce is only an ounce.

Flavor did not resemble honeydew but it was pretty robust, whatever it was. The flavoring level was up there with Ennerdale but wasn't quite as over-the-top. It was quite nice. I cut the plug into small cubes for loading and had no problems getting it alight. Burned just fine, albeit with a few relights. Pretty good nic content but not overpowering. As with most G&H Lakelands, the flavor did not dissipate down the bowl. As I smoke meerschaums almost exclusively, the ghosting was minimal. I'm not good at naming flavorings, but this was flowery and fairly strong but not as much so as Ennerdale, which I love. The main difference between the two is that whatever they flavor Ennerdale with is the flavoring I prefer. Your mileage may vary. This is a great tasting tobacco, as I expect from G&H, and is definitely recommended.

Jorge Soler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jorge Soler (129)
Mild Very Strong Medium Overwhelming

Horrible tobacco. I love most of the Kendalls, so I was expecting some kind of floral/soapy taste or flavours, but the smell is simply vile. It is so bad I cannot even think of something that smells just as bad. I haven't been able to finish my bowl and I hope it has not ruined my pipe.

Edit: In true honesty, I have been upset over the fact I really cannot understand what the object of this tobacco might be. It is so bad it smells like a mixture of burning plastic and kerosene. Some people seem to describe the taste as "cloying," but I don't think this is accurate. "Cloying" can be anything which is overtly sweet and difficult to swallow, but this tobacco is simply sickening. So much so that it gives me the heaves when I happen to think about it.

Tim Speight Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tim Speight (2)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Very Full Tolerable

As a new smoker of plug tobacco didn't know what to expect. Obviously I found a solid lump of tobacco! This smelled quite strongly of bergamot, with other floral notes I can't quite put my finger on. After cutting into 1/8th inch slices I rubbed one out to a similar cut as st Bruno and left for 20 minutes. First impressions are sweet unknown flavour with a soapy mouth feel, then an almost peachy aftertaste. Room note was quite heavy, but still pleasant to me. Definitely not one to smoke daily, I'd probably use as a Sunday roast dessert!

As an addendum- I left the tin open overnight , a totally different experience! Lights much easier (obviously), with a more rose petal flavour although still with the soapy feel. May elevate this to a nightcap smoke. The wife hasn't complained about the room note either which is a bonus!

Pipe Used: MM Bent cob

Purchased From: Smoke king

PeterD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PeterD (91)
Medium Very Strong Overwhelming Strong

"Cheviot"...This flavoring I simply do not like...whatever it is, it is not my idea of "honey-dew" or anything close to that flavor. Some have suggested patchouli, I do not like that scent either...so for me, this is the only SG plug I can't tolerate.

Pipe Used: group 3-4 size

Purchased From: Tobacco Supermarket

Medium Very Strong Full Tolerable to Strong

This thing smells everything but tobacco, the floreal scent is overwhelming. The plug format gives it a certain coolness, when smoked, but also a burning quality less than average. A fine blend for the aromatic-heads, but not my cup of tea.

tschenyinkoh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tschenyinkoh (51)
Medium to Strong Very Strong Full Pleasant

Cannon Plug is arguably one of the oldest tobaccos still in productions. Rumours of records for its use during the civil war have been circulating on line for years. A delightful medium blend of Virginia tobaccos pressed and aged for a cool and nutty flavour. While Best brown flake is one of Samuel Gawiths most iconic tobaccos, Cannon plug brings a large helping of Honeydew into play. As with the Special Flake No 2, Cannon plug is very heavily scented and ideal for serious Lakeland fans.

It is a pot-pourri, a Floral, fruity cannonball that's enough to knock you into next week by when even a perfume may already have worn off! Underlying rich citrusy, woody scent, lurks the distinct Virginia aroma. The taste is of honeydew, lemon balm and very sweet flowers.

You may cut into flakes or you may want to cube it and rub gently. Once in the pipe it catches the flame well and stays alight without the need to relight often, if at all. The smoke is cool and smooth and the strong topping really comes through.

Use a cob or a pipe that you don't mind losing to the flavour ghost that's left behind.

In a word, if you love the flavouring, you'll love it but if you don't, you'll hate it.

The Summary:

Purchased From: smoke-king.co.uk; gqtobaccos

Blackhorse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blackhorse (90)
Medium to Strong Very Strong Very Full Strong

So...first off, let's get something straight. This is not actually tobacco per se. You know in 'Peter Pan' where the boys and girls are all supposed to clap their hands if they believe in fairies...and it would make Tinkerbell come back to life? This is something like that. Every time a pipe smoker lights up a bowl of Lakeland tobacco and thinks "OMG", or "Holy CRAP", or the like...it's like a little boy or girl clapping their hands...and in so doing, the Lakeland "Flower Flavor Fairy" puts another little hit of flavor into Cannon Plug. So you see, in a way, it's a kind of 'Magic Plug' - a compilation, if you will, of all the astonishment that nimrod smokers everywhere have felt at the flower power of the Lakeland blends. Oh, sure, well there's a little tobacco in there too I suppose. Likely pretty good stuff knowing it's from one of those nice Gawith boys.

PS: Whomever suggested this was a good DGT blend was right on. Plus...I don't think there's another blend in the whole wide world that give such impact per the cost. It's like getting the Acme Anvil of Lakeland flavors dropped on your little Wiley Coyote head...with each and every puff.

Where does this one fall in the overall scope of all things Gawith? Well, I characterized Coniston Cut Plug as the 'Goldilocks Blend' in that it fell into that perfect and ideal zone in which every aspect was, just right. Following on that kind of metaphore...this one is the 'Tinkerbell Blend'. It's a blend that'll bring a dead fairy back to life.

grimpeur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
grimpeur (84)
Medium to Strong Extra Strong Extra Full Extra Strong

My first review, and the first to review this extraordinary tobacco.

The Cannon was my first experience with a plug; curiosity conquered trepidation. My first two bowls of this blend lead me to put this aside as a lost cause. The reasons being that it was too difficult to prepare, and so staggeringly aromatic that I was in shock. There is little to prepare one for the intense honeydew flavour that this product exudes.

And yet.

It is a jealous tobacco. Having smoked one bowl in a nice Stanwell apple, I found that the Cannon plug had left a scent that would never go away: fair warning! So I gave it another go. Having tried the tobacco again, I would say that it has very much won me over. The flavouring has me hooked, and as strong as the honeydew oils are, the tobacco keeps pace to provide a very singular smoking experience.

It is absolutely not an all-day, every-day smoke, but if pipe smoking could ever be described as adventurous, it would be because of Cannon Plug!

DrDyson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDyson (129)
Medium to Strong Strong Full Tolerable

I didn't care for this at all. Occasionally I like to induge myself with all the fuss and foreplay that goes with smoking a plug or twist tobacco; but this one is an unusual member of that family in that it is very aromatic. It seems to be, if you see what I mean, everything that an old-fashioned plug of tobacco shouldn't be; but perhaps that's just me. Suffice it to say that people who like Ennerdale Flake will like this too. It isn't all that difficult to prepare, and it smokes easily all the way down, with a good, cool even burn. Not for me, but I recommend it to lakeland lovers.

It's pretty strong and, as others have said, beware of the ghost.

Strong Very Strong Full Pleasant

Sam Gawith - Cannon Plug.

I find this one a little perplexing, it goes against the grain of what I normally enjoy in tobaccos! The moment it was taken out the bag I realised I was dealing with a full aromatic, it smells strongly of perfume/flowers. Very easy to prepare, if you enjoy well rubbed mixtures then go for this! I slice thin pieces which then are remarkably simple to rub to a very delicate consistency.

Getting mine ignited is straight forward, the fine rubbing's only need a short touch of the flame to give a substantial burn. The smoke is very comfortable, no bite and fairly cool in temp'. The flavour is just what I anticipated from the aroma, a strong floral taste which strangely I enjoy! Right from the initial lighting to the end the flavour remains the same strength, a very formidable hit of perfume and flowers! If you are smoking this for the first time use a cob or an old pipe as this leaves one hell of a ghost so if you really hate it (which you might) you will have made your favourite pipe redundant for a while! The nicotine in Cannon is quite strong, it's not for those out there who smoke only for taste!

Four stars.

Pipe Used: Various

Purchased From: Various

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (191)
Mild to Medium Extra Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

It burns cool, slow and dry. The Virginias are cigarette like with some earthy accents as the bowl progresses. Make no mistake this is a strong aromatic plug, it's all about the Honey Dew flavoring. Too sickly sweet and perfumy, this smell and taste are not pleasant for me. Surely it fares better in the pipes of amateurs of strong aromatics.

Medium Medium to Strong Full Pleasant

Obviously not a tobacco that unites those who try it. The flavoring does overpower the underlying tobaccos, but doesn't in itself quite hit the overpowering/over-the-top level (although it comes somewhat close). As for the flavoring itself, it reminds me a bit more of cantaloupe than melon or honey dew. Like most plugs, it's dense, but seems about average for ease (or difficulty) of cutting up. Like many SG Flakes & plugs, it's not the easiest to light, but it at least tends to stay lit once going (unlike 1792).

For me, not an obvious choice for the regular rotation, but if it were more readily available, I could see myself coming back to it once in a while.

Pipe Used: briars and meers

Age When Smoked: upon arrival

Purchased From: GQ

Rob Kimberley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rob Kimberley (4)
Medium to Strong Strong Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

One of my favourite tobaccos. If you are a Lakeland fan (and I am), you will like this. A very dense plug with a powerful floral aroma. Easy to prepare if you have a very sharp knife. Cut it carefully into very thin slices. It rubs out very easily. Smoke it slowly and enjoy the full on flavour. Not for the faint hearted and an empty stomach! Lord Nicotine is waiting to bite you...

Pipe Used: Various

Purchased From: GQ Tobaccos (UK)

Similar Blends: Nothing like it!.

Quinn Jacobsen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Quinn Jacobsen (1)
Mild to Medium Very Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

When opening the tin, this tobacco tells the entire room of its arrival with a strong and sweet smell of flowers. This smell stays in the room for more than an hour after opening the tin. The tobacco is, as a plug, tightly packed, but after having dug into it, I can conclude that the tobacco has not been cut before being pressed. I even succeeded in folding out piece of a tobacco leaf about 2 x 3 centimeters wide. This results in having to rip each piece to shreds before putting it in the pipe, and even then, the tobacco is hard to light. The tobacco is sticky and leaves a residue on the fingers.

As soon as I’ve taken my first puff of the pipe, I can taste the same overpowering flowers. After having smoked about half of the tobacco, I have to give up and smoke something else. It is simply too pervasive and overpowering, and doesn’t taste of anything else than flowers. So if you long for the taste of flowers, and don’t like putting them straight into your mouth, then the SG Cannon Plug might be something for you. If not, keep it far away from yourself! And if you absolutely must try it, do yourself the favor of using a pipe you don’t mind cleaning thoroughly, as the tobacco lingers in the pipe for a long time.

As a final note, I can only wonder, who might have taken a whiff of this flower-tobacco and thought, “This reminds me of a large gunpowder weapon!”

Pipe Used: MM Corncob

Purchased From: Danish Pipe Shop

Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (139)
Strong Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is only my second plug, and I can't think of a tobacco more different from my first one, 3P's. Nonetheless, I can normally rely on SG to give a good tobacco.

The aroma is one of lemons, and strongly so too, the taste of the smoke is not a lot different, a big reminder of Grousemoor. I did find little hints of toffee in there too, but maybe that's my imagination running away with me. This does need a little drying, even then it can take a couple of relights to get going, otherwise there are no real problems.

Generally then, a good tobacco. After the initial euphoria of that very perky lemon smell, it can get a little samy, but I have no problems getting this again.

tomspeed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tomspeed (23)
Mild to Medium Mild Very Full Very Pleasant

This is Really wonderful tobacco with amazing real Tobacco smell, Really delicious and tasty and Slow burning Tobacco for real pipe smokers

Carlos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Carlos (21)
Medium Strong Very Full Pleasant

This is a very interesting tobacco. First, when you open it, the smell is very intensive - but also very nice. It's quite easy to prepare - but you should dry it for about 15-30 minutes. Smoking is a bit difficult, but also very tasty: sweetness of first class virginias, but also honey dew scenting. In some kind, it reminds me Grousemoor a bit. Room note is quite pleasant, but remains for a very long time. I like it!

sprangalang Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sprangalang (4)
Medium to Strong Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

It is important to air this tobacco out after rubbing out.

When I first got this plug, I was overwhelmed with the odor. I cut some off, rubbed and started to smoke, it was overpowering. I felt kind of dumb for getting a whole pound. The first bowl did not make me happy, and the room note was cloying.

I figured I would try making some snuff from it. Crazy? Maybe. I dried out a 1" cube and while reducing it in size, decided to set a bowl's worth aside for the pipe. The cube rubbed and cut out to quite a nice pile of tobacco. Beautiful golden virginia, how could this not be good?? The odor had lessened considerably after airing out overnight.

After it has some time to air out and dry, it changes dramatically. A bowl can last me days, it smokes so slow and steady, and the DGT is sublime, right off the match. It is a very, very nice blend after airing out a good while. No bite, burns clean and dry to a light gray ash. A nice semi-sweet flavor, with notes of vanilla, honey, and angel food cake. The wonderful tobacco does come through as well, gorgeous golden virginias. I love this as a dessert smoke, and it is no wimpy smoke either, very relaxing and delicious, makes my head warm. The room note is pleasant, and the wife does not complain. The snuff I made from it is very good as well. I adore this blend, and it scores an easy four or more stars from me.

Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

You will all think I'm insane for calling this a mild to medium flavoring, but it is not an aromatic and I would say it is strongly scented, not strongly flavored. I ordered it out of curiosity, but it may well become a favorite. It is not my usual practice to review a tobacco after only one bowl, so I smoked a second to be sure! This has to be the most easily prepared plug I have thus far smoked: I simply tore off a chunk and rubbed it for a couple of seconds in my fingers before stuffing it almost whole into a small-bowled Jobey. (Note: I was working off of a piece cut off by the retailer and the main section of the plug might take more prep time!) I was greeted with a heavily perfumed yet mild and pleasant smoke in which the scent (I do not know whether it is honeydew or patchouli, but I like it) was VERY present throughout the bowl, but I could still taste the quality Gawith tobacco behind it. I huffed and I puffed, and found particular pleasure in blowing the smoke out of my nose, but there was no bite to be found. Cannon is also not as strong as 1792 or Irish Flake (Peterson's), but if heavily scented is not your thing, or if the scent of this one is not one that you enjoy, you would dump it out in a hurry. I like Erinmore, and that is a love or hate tobacco as well, but the scent in Erinmore fades a bit as you smoke through the bowl. This scent is quite different, and it does not fade-if anything, it gets stronger. I will use an analogy to the bergamot in Earl Grey tea; it's not quite the same as bergamot of course, but the effect is similar. Earl Grey is tea with something else, and you may or may not like the something else.

For my second bowl, I used a whole leaf that had fallen off the bulk plug, and wadded it up and simply inserted it into the bowl. It smoked just fine, and I got a mainline of that scent, which, if I do not tire of it, may well become a welcome companion to my smoking experience. I'm sure I will not want him (her?) around all the time-i.e. maybe I need to dedicate a pipe to this blend. I'm sure I will need pure unadulterated Virginia still, but I just might go on a kick with this weed!

The plug is a thing of beauty in the bag. The scent can be smelled easily through the plastic! I got it from a popular internet retailer named after a certain planet in the solar system, or Roman god. I ordered with it an equal 4 oz sample of the more natural Kendal Plug and some Turkish blending tobacco. The tobacconist sent me extra of each, and the plugs look more like 6 oz than 4. This supplier has done this for me before without provocation, and when this happens, it makes me want to reciprocate by giving them some free advertising, a free plug, so to speak.

Well, I will certainly have fun with this. I will update my review if I feel differently about the blend in any way, positive or negative, or just to relate how it changes with aging. One note: this plug is quite a bargain at about 10 or 11 dollars for 4 oz, so even if you hated it, it would make a great hockey puck or mantlepiece curio.

1-11-10 I will not smoke this all the time, but it is a great change of pace. For everyday, I recommend Kendal plug.

kg0mz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kg0mz (54)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Pleasant

I do not know what Cheviot is as it relates to tobacco. Samuel Gawith Co. Ltd. says..."Part of our traditional English range of plugs, Cannon is derived from the Best Brown cake with a sweet Honey Dew flavour". That is good enough for me.

The plug aroma consists in something like honeydew melon, brown sugar, black coffee, and bread. In the bowl it tastes like the plug aroma suggests it will except the bread is more like toasted English muffins. Upon re-entering the man cave it smells like toasted muffins.

I do not find the plug difficult. I slice enough for one bowl. I tease it and gravity feed it. I do not dry it. It burns cool and dry for me. No bite, no gurgle. It is not harsh. I encounter more throat irritation with straight Virginias like Old Gowrie, FVF, Cut Va Plug, and the like. I love them, but I smoke them infrequently.

Cannon plug is strong and full tasting, but pleasant and refreshing. I highly recommend it for anyone who enjoys Kendal tobaccos.

07/27/09 UPDATE: I am revising some of my reviews. I have given out more 4 star ratings than anything else. That practice is probably not helping. So, I am reducing Cannon Plug to 3 stars, not because I like it less than I did before, but because I am limiting 4 stars to fewer than 25% of all my reviews. One day I may use the 4 star rating to designate my top five.

Michi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Michi (2)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

When i smoked that Tobacco the first time it was too much flavor for me! I try 3-4 Puffs and then stop smoking this tobacco!

I put the Plug out of the little Bag and let him drie 3-4 Days in my Livingroom. After 4 Days i cut the Plug into slices and then to cube cut. After that "work" i let the cube cuts again drie out for 1-2 hours.Then the little cube cuts are not sticky any longer.

I filled my Pipebowl without pressure! And then i had a not to Strong Flavor anymore! :-) the flavor is sweet,honeysweet with a light Parfume note from the beginning to the end.

This Tobacco need his own Pipe.(Crossover)

4 Stars!

Baloo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Baloo (7)
Medium to Strong Extra Strong Overwhelming Tolerable to Strong

Be warned, pipe fellas, it seems like Samuel Gawith has used crumbled patchouli incense sticks as a flavoring in this plug. If you´re still stuck in the late sixties on your hippie trip, this might be for you, but all others should refrain from this terrible crap. Occasionally I like to have english or irish aromatics like Erinmore flake or Peterson´s University flake in my pipe but this kind of flavoring is definitely not for me. This is a love-or-hate tobacco and I guess you must have served for the British empire in India or been raised on porridge and Marmite to enjoy this stuff.

From the first light the smell and taste of patchouli overwhelms you until the very end. There´s no tobacco taste to detect. I´ve smoked Cannon Plug from a clay pipe(thank god) as I´d bet it would create an awful crossover to my briars.

Sorry, but I can´t say anything good about this tobacco. Samuel Gawith produces a lot of wonderful mixtures and flakes, but Cannon Plug is not among these.

0 out of 10 in my personal rating