The Don Giovanni tobaccos are rich, fuller-bodied blends which use leaf from the Dominican Republic, Nicaragua, Ecuador, Brazil and Indonesia for robust flavor and cigar-like character. Don Giovanni Sigaretta uses excellent Virginias with cigar leaf from Nicaragua, Ecuador, Indonesia, Brazil and the Dominican Republic added for rich, creamy flavor.

BrandD & R Tobacco
Blended ByMark Ryan
Manufactured ByD&R Tobacco
Blend TypeCigar Leaf Based
ContentsCigar Leaf, Virginia
Packaging40 grams tin, 16 ounce bag
Strength
Medium, Medium to Strong
Taste
Medium to Full, Full
JimInks (2042)

This is similar to the Don Giovanni Sigaro blend, but a little lighter and sweeter. The variety of cigar leaves include the Dominican Republic, Nicaragua, Ecuador, Brazil, and Indonesia. Their characteristics include a little mustiness and leather, a bit of earth, spice and wood, a sour note here and there, a drop or two of cocoa and coffee, and a fair amount of floral sweetness. The grassy, citrusy Virginia is a hair more noticeable in this version. There’s a mild sharp note here and there, but it won’t bite or get harsh. The strength is medium, and the taste is a step or so past that level. The nic-hit is just shy of the center of mild to medium. Burns cool, clean and a little fast if not hydrated as the tobacco is dry, and this is shag cut, whereas the Sigaro version is ribbon cut. Has a consistent woody, smoky, lightly creamy, fairly sweet, rich cigar flavor that translates into a mildly lingering after taste. It also has a touch of cigarette in there as well. Needs few relights. Can be an all day smoke.

Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

It looks like I will be the first to review this blend. I was given a sample of this back in June and finally got around to smoking through it over the last few weeks. I did not expect to like this one as I have yet to have a D & R blend that really did it for me. But this one was pretty good despite its shortcomings.

The blend is a crimp cut not unlike roll your own tobacco and perhaps this is what I was expecting due to its looks and the name which sounds like Cigarette. The taste is something altogether different. If I was blindfolded and given this blend, I would swear I was smoking Manil Semois as the taste is nearly identical to my palate. While the cut is very different from the MS, This one also comes dry and burns quite fast.

Overall, I did not like how fast it burnt or the cut as these crimp cut blends are usually a pain to pack right; however, the taste was fantastic, if not a little too monotone. Fortunately, the smoke won't last long enough for monotony to set in.

I would say this is a great blend for those who like semois, but don't like the price and for those who like Five Brothers, but would like to step up their game a little. For me it is between two and three stars, so I will round up to three as I think this is what I gave Five Brothers and this one is substantially better.

Similar Blends: Vincent Manil Semois, Five Brothers.