Twisted forms of aged dark brown leaf soaked in Whiskey. Enormous flavor aroma and strength tamed with slow puffing.

BrandSamuel Gawith
Blended BySamuel Gawith
Very Strong
Very Full
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable, Tolerable to Strong, Strong, Extra Strong, Overwhelming
smoker390 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoker390 (36)
Overwhelming Medium to Strong Very Full Extra Strong

Do not let the 2 star rating tell all. I did enjoy this tobacco much like I do a 3 star. When it comes to recommenations, only a small portion of pipe smokers would I recommend this tobacco to. It is one of the strongest tobaccos I have ever had, and I like strong tobacco. The distinct floral taste of the Lake District is dominant, along with a spicy nicotine blast. The Whiskey can be tasted throughout as a nice compliment to the natural tobacco taste. It tastes like real whiskey, not candied sweet cavendish phoney whiskey. My only complaint is the window of opportunity to smoke this blend. Freshly sliced discs from the rope - a little too wet with whiskey to burn well. This has such a unique fine taste that I grew impatient having to keep it lit. Allow the rubbed out discs to dry too long, it burns too hot and quickly - not something you want from a powerhouse tobacco like this one. Highly recommended for any smoker who likes to mess with the bull's horns!

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)
Very Strong Medium to Strong Very Full Strong

A nice, medium brown rope with a good whiskey aroma and some dark-fired tobacco smell. Needs to be cut from the rope with a cigar cutter or VERY sharp knife, then rubbed out. Airing it out for a few minutes doesn't hurt. Best in a small pipe, in a recliner with seat belts. when you light it, there is a blast of dark flavors, and a bigger blast of nicotine. I like it once in a while in a cob, but don't plan on putting it in any more briars, as it leaves a residual aroma and taste in the pipe. An interesting experience, but not one I plan to repeat.

ajaj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ajaj (69)
Mild to Medium Strong Full Overwhelming

If you have read any of my reviews, you could easily surmise that I mostly enjoy strong no-nonsense tobaccos. Brown Rope # 4 Whiskey is a favorite of mine at any time of the day. The flavor is your basic wonderful Brown Rope #4 mixed in with the stuff left over if one were to evaporate a glass of whiskey. It's heaven in a pipe bowl! I have smoked freshly made batches as well as older ones and there is quite a difference. The fresher batches have a very sharp "medicinal" flavor which smells closer to whiskey than the aged batches. The aged tobacco mellows in flavor (it is not as sharp) but not in strength. I smoke several bowls of this wonderful tobacco daily. This tobacoo is not for wimps!

Strong Strong Full Pleasant

The best Whiskey tobacco blend I ever smoked. Nice and strong with a huge belt of whiskey flavoring. I do admit that slow smoking was required to keep the flavor at its highest level without adding a little harshness. But, I do find that most of the Gawith ropes will heat up and offer harshness if the puffing cadence is stepped up past a tip-toe. Ride your horse carefully while smoking this one because the nicotine content could make you lose your grip on the saddle.

oldorder Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldorder (22)
Very Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Very smooth, heavy, strong, use the coffee grinder after coining and re-soaking in more whisky and drying, most often mix with 50% Perique. Little lady actually likes the room note. Sipped and smoked very slowly. Burns well if dried enough, with just one or two lights. Excellent in the late evening...

Pipe Used: Mostly cobs, Country Gentleman, Mark Twain

Age When Smoked: One Year

Similar Blends: Other Ropes.

Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (125)
Very Strong Medium to Strong Extra Full Tolerable

This is very dark brown tobacco twisted into a rope about the thickness of George Foreman's thumb. It has a sort of fermented, malty smell. The cigar cutter works well for trimming some flakes which I then rub out a little before packing. This is very strong tobacco in the dark, English flake sense. The addition of the whiskey adds a unique flavor, not exactly of whiskey but of something medicinal. It has got plenty of nicotine and it is strong. When you swallow, the residual juices may hit your stomach in a way that will remind you of the experience of sucking on your grandfather's pipe when you were seven or eight. This is not your father's tobacco. It is probably your grandfather's tobacco if he worked in England's coal mines a half century ago. This tobacco is not for the aromatic lover, the berry tobacco lover or the sweet, mild, effete tobacco lover. You will need to bring a cast iron gut to the proceedings and a high tolerance for nicotine. I think you could develop a real taste for this tobacco, and it does go well with Guinness, always a good test of fine tobacco. I recommend this as an interesting change of pace, a return to the days of yesteryear. Paddy.

pokrsmokr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pokrsmokr (32)
Extremely Strong Medium to Strong Very Full Tolerable to Strong

Of all the ropes I've tried, I think the Brown Rope #4 Whiskey is my favorite. I immensely enjoy preparing the rope tobaccos for smoking. I use a cigar cutter to slice off little discs which I proceed to rub out. Since it is so dense, I usually air it out a bit before packing it. It packs and lights well and the whiskey shines through immediatley. It's very full, very potent and very delicious. The whiskey flavoring is enjoyable, but my favorite part is when it starts to wear off a bti and the natural flavors take over. It is a truly satisfying smoke, though not for those who prefer a mild smoke. It burns very slow and very cool, but I recommend VERY slow puffing to avoid OD-ing on nicotine. It's finish is wonderful and at tiems a bit earthy. Not for the faint of heart, Whiskey rope is a serious tobacco. Highly recommended for those who like a bit of a punch