Plenty of Syrian Latakia and high-quality Virginias are matured along with a little Oriental leaf. Delightful zesty, smoky and strong.

Reichlich Syrischer Latakia und beste Virginia-Grades werden mit etwas Orient-Tabak abgeschmeckt und in Ruhe gereift. Wundbar würzig-rauchig, kräftig.

BrandPlanta
Blended ByPlanta
Manufactured ByPlanta
Blend TypeBalkan
Strength
Taste
Strong
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Strong

Learning that Planta have put out a series with more tobacco than sauce in it, I obviously had to get the full set. This was the frist tin to arrive, and opening it was a bit of a disappointment. The contents was bone dry. That is most likely a fluke packaging error, there was part of a slice hanging out the side of the tin through the seal. Again, that is most likely just my luck getting the one bad tin in the batch.

Re-moistening took some time and care, but once up to a smokeable moisture level, I started partaking, and I must say I like this blend a lot. The slices in the tin are dark to black, very few highlights in there. The tin aroma is very smoky, very Balkan. On lighting, the VA comes through providing a gentle sweetness. The main direction here, though, is spice and earthy, smoky flavour from the Lat and Orientals.

Folding the slices ends up with far too much dottle for my taste, so I rub out thoroughly before stuffing.

The room note has been noted as "strong" by my wife, who is an avid fan of English and Scottish Mixtures (and a pipestress herself), so I'd say it is probably too much for Aromatics smokers and their spouses. For the friend of the Latakia Bomb (such as myself), just ignore the room note and enjoy the flavour, it's plentiful.

And with that, I give it 4 stars for being an unapologetic Balkan/After-Dinner blend that delivers on the flavour end, with the Caveat that not very many people will tell you that the room note is brilliant.

Boy, am I being diplomatic.

Pipe Used: VAUEN Luxus, BC Marseille

Purchased From: Peter Heinrichs, Cologne, Germany

Similar Blends: Dan Tobacco - Old Ironsides (American History Mixtures), Dan Tobacco - Holly's Discovery.

DenizBeck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DenizBeck (225)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Strong

Not my cup of tea really.. the Latakia is somehow obtrusive to my palate, having a very musty aroma. The Orientals are quite noticeable. Very(!) smoky, sour and sweet, with vinegar-ish and pungent aroma. I can see people might like this, but there are way better Latakia blends out there and I haven't even smoked lots of them!

Pipe Used: Clay Pipe

smoking-rob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoking-rob (76)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Presented in the same fashion as Empire Perique Flake, two rows of slightly thicker than average cut flakes laid side by side in the tin. Not too moist either. Pungent Latakia dominates the tin scent. Plenty of (Syrian?) Latakia supported by Virginia and Oriental gives this flake a well-integrated, slightly sweet taste, quite mellow actually but less bland than MB Latakia Flake. I detect the slightest hint of soapiness in the taste and it works well here. Very easy on the tongue, Lovely smoke!

Pipe Used: Dunhill

Purchased From: Edler Tabak

Similar Blends: Mac Baren HH Latakia Flake.