This rich burley blend is pressed before cutting to give it a rubbed flake appearance and a density in smoking that assures coolness. X-30 is a hearty tobacco with burley's characteristic depth of flavor made smooth by McClelland's exclusive heat-seasoning process.

Blended ByMcClelland
Manufactured ByMcClelland
Blend TypeBurley Based
ContentsBurley
Strength
Mild to Medium, Medium, Medium to Strong
None Detected, Extremely Mild, Mild
Taste
2.3
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I added this blend as a forum friend sent me a sample of this to try. I am very grateful as I probably would have never thought of ordering a burley from McClelland. After all they are known for great Virginias, not burley. With an open mind I tried it and was surprised. For one, it has nicotine and a good amount. This is something also not known of McClelland blends.

The burley is a very nutty sweet blend and reminded me a lot of Prince Albert, but maybe not as sweet and less chemical tasting. So I would say this is an improvement on the Prince and I would encourage all who like the Prince to try this as it is quite a bargain in bulk. I, however, am not a fan of the Prince and prefer my burleys less sweet and more robust and earthy.

Overall, a good burley for the fans of BLWB and Prince Albert.

Similar Blends: Prince Albert.

Another old blend I found in my cellar. I think this one wasn't on the site when I first bought it and I wasn't aware at the time that I could add it. At any rate, this is a dark brown weird clingy broken flake but really more of a hard ribbon. No chocolate in the nose, but just a nice refreshing tobacco scent.

Smoked a couple bowls of this to refamiliarize myself with it and it reminds me very much of Stokkebye's pressed burley. A very lightly sweet tobacco taste with not as much nicotine as most burleys. This almost has a slight Cavendish feel and taste. It mixes well but is great as a straight smoke. The best way I can describe it is if you were a cigarette smoker and stuck with Marlboros, this would be a Davidoff. Fuller of flavor with greater depth, although not much complexity. Mouth filling flavor. I don't smoke a lot of this but when I want something uncomplicated and rich with burley flavor, this is a go to smoke. The Stokkebye gets a slight nod over this, however... not that too much should be made of that. They are a lot alike. As McClelland makes burley more for their customers that want it rather than due to a love of the leaf, this is quite an achievement.

Jacinto Cupboard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jacinto Cupboard (178)

Comes as a short cut mahogany ribbon that is fairly moist and spongy. There is very little in the way of 'tin note' and I am confident it has no casing.

I can't say I'm confident about much else. This is one of those rare blends that has me second guessing what I have loaded my pipe with. I sort of expected X30 to be along the lines of Solani ABF in a broken form, and this expectation was way off the mark. What it tastes like to me is a Red Va that has been bolstered with some burley. Not saying that is the case, but that is what my mouth is telling me.

This is a fairly sweet tobacco with a fair amount of slap. Not bite or burn, but there is a lot of spicy heat to this blend. I don't get much in the way of nuts or chocolate...if I'm honest I'm not tasting anything at all in that respect.

Once underway this burns well with a nondescript room note.

A bit too savoury for me to give better than 2 stars, but in the right pipe this might win friends.

Pipe Used: LePeltier